• Show
Clear All
  • Boltjolt
    Dont let the PBs fool ya
    • Jun 2013
    • Henderson, NV
    • Send PM

Originally posted by Critty View Post

Over the years at RB. Telesco best RB Ekeler was a udfa. His trade up for Gordon got a solid back but not a great one. Kelley has no burst, Roundtree is okay. Justin Jackson has the burst and wiggle, just is an injury concern.

There are guys in this mid to late rds in this draft that I think would be good additions to the RB depth Chart. And they can cut Kelley who isn't worth a roster spot.
    Jerome Ford. 3rd-4th
    CJ Verdell. 4th-5th
    Mateo Durant. 6th-7th
    You have always been high on Verdell.
    Me not so much. He been injured lately and has only played 5 games in each the last 2 seasons.

Me, I'd pass

Comment

• wu-dai clan
      Smooth Operation
      • May 2017
      • Send PM

Exactly Steve.
      Per Gil Brandt/Nick Saban,
      going back several years,
      football now is about outscoring opponents.
      Give up playing defense.
      Competive balance.
      Broad, prevalent skill level.
      Exhibit A...2022 NFL playoffs.
      We do not play modern football.

Comment

• Fleet 1
        TPB Founder
        • Jun 2013
        • Kauai
        • Send PM

Merged roster building threads. Now that we are entering our offseason and with the draft so important here....the main forum will be poaching from the draft section and beefing up our talks here on the main forum.

Comment

• Boltjolt
          Dont let the PBs fool ya
          • Jun 2013
          • Henderson, NV
          • Send PM

Originally posted by wu-dai clan View Post
          Exactly Steve.
          Give up playing defense.
          Competive balance.
          Cool, then we should just draft defense in rounds 4 thru 7 and sign nobody to play there.

I for one loved being last on thirds downs and giving up season highs to the Texans :whistlin:

Comment

• Steve
            Administrator
            • Jun 2013
            • South Carolina
            • Meteorologist
            • Send PM

Originally posted by Bolt4Knob View Post

I have no idea how the Chargers run their cap but if its true that Dean has cash flow issues - that can affect how a team works the salary cap. I bring up Mike Williams - its cheaper for Dean to franchise him for one year at 19m than sign him to a long term deal, lower his cap number and sign other players

You bring up the Packers and Saints - good examples. But look at the teams - they have been consistently competitive

The Chargers haven't been competitive. I don't think the Chargers need to be like the Saints and Packers but I do think, with a good spreadsheet and accountant, can manipulate the cap for the next three seasons - before Herbert really hits it big - to maximize cap space.

To me it starts with Mike Williams - either sign him or let him walk.
            The Saints and Cowboys have been competitive lately. That is probably over for a couple of years. Both are competitive teams and it looks like they will be gutting their rosters to get under the cap. They have to prior to Mar 16th. I guess it comes down to if you are willing to put off the problem for some years and then deal with a couple of years where we will suck by design. If they don't cut and burn their roster to get under the cap, they will be fined, the league office will make the cuts and

We have a good long period before FA starts when we can sign players. Even after FA starts, we can let players go on and check out their value, we may still be able to sign them.

The good thing this season is that there may be more good players available prior to FA. About 25% of the Teams have cap problems and will be forced to cut some decent players. Guys cut like that are better choices than true FA.

The downside is that half of the league has $20 million or more in space, and all have needs so there will be a lot of spending for the few good candidates to spend it on.

Comment

• sonorajim
              Registered Charger Fan
              • Jan 2019
              • Send PM

Originally posted by wu-dai clan View Post
              Exactly Steve.
              Give up playing defense.
              Competive balance.
              LOL! When was football not about outscoring the opponent?
              D units kept the Chargers out of the playoffs. Ours and the Raiders (among others).
              We can't just concede points to the opponent every time they get the ball.
              I love our offense but we need D and special teams that can give them the ball and field position without allowing opponent scoring.
              The idea that defense is immaterial may be drug or alcohol induced. That and the league has decided that the big money lies with incredible offensive displays and has their thumb on the scales.
              I effing hate seeing our D getting run over. If we can't play a complete game, the NFL can kiss my ass.

Comment

• Critty
                Dominate the Day.
                • Mar 2019
                • Send PM

Originally posted by Boltjolt View Post

You have always been high on Verdell.
                Me not so much. He been injured lately and has only played 5 games in each the last 2 seasons.

Me, I'd pass
                I like that he had a great game vs Ohio State. I like that he can get through small holes in a hurry at 5'8 210. And he can get a bit lost behind the trees at his size. He shows great balance, doesn't get tripped up by arm tackles. Can catch it out of backfield. He ranks very high in yards after contact. He also played with Justin, so there should be some early chemistry between them in the pass and screen game.

I like him much better than Kelley.
                The injury history is a concern.
                So I have him in the 4th or 5th Rd

Durant can also catch it out of backfield and ranked high in yards after contact.

Ford is the most explosive of the three I mentioned.

I would really like TT to upgrade the depth at RB with either Ford, Verdell or Durant. And then cut Kelley.

Who has it better than us?

Comment

• Caslon
                  Registered Charger Fan
                  • Apr 2019
                  • Send PM

One thing fans like is not a revolving door of core player changes the next season. Keeping Williams would go far in that regard, no matter how TT manages it.

Comment

• ghost
                    The Rise of Kellen Moore
                    • Jun 2013
                    • Send PM

Originally posted by Steve View Post

The Saints and Cowboys have been competitive lately. That is probably over for a couple of years. Both are competitive teams and it looks like they will be gutting their rosters to get under the cap. They have to prior to Mar 16th. I guess it comes down to if you are willing to put off the problem for some years and then deal with a couple of years where we will suck by design. If they don't cut and burn their roster to get under the cap, they will be fined, the league office will make the cuts and

We have a good long period before FA starts when we can sign players. Even after FA starts, we can let players go on and check out their value, we may still be able to sign them.

The good thing this season is that there may be more good players available prior to FA. About 25% of the Teams have cap problems and will be forced to cut some decent players. Guys cut like that are better choices than true FA.

The downside is that half of the league has $20 million or more in space, and all have needs so there will be a lot of spending for the few good candidates to spend it on.
                    A comprehensive look at Dallas’ cap situation, who can be restructured or released and for how much in savings, and what free agents are up for new deals. | From @KDDrummondNFL

Article on the Cowboys possible approach to getting under the cap: Restructures and cuts

Comment

• Xenos
                      Registered Charger Fan
                      • Feb 2019
                      • Send PM

Originally posted by Bolt4Knob View Post

I have no idea how the Chargers run their cap but if its true that Dean has cash flow issues - that can affect how a team works the salary cap. I bring up Mike Williams - its cheaper for Dean to franchise him for one year at 19m than sign him to a long term deal, lower his cap number and sign other players

You bring up the Packers and Saints - good examples. But look at the teams - they have been consistently competitive

The Chargers haven't been competitive. I don't think the Chargers need to be like the Saints and Packers but I do think, with a good spreadsheet and accountant, can manipulate the cap for the next three seasons - before Herbert really hits it big - to maximize cap space.

To me it starts with Mike Williams - either sign him or let him walk.
                      The Chargers have generally run a healthy cap since the beginning of the AJ Smith era. The second year anyways. There’s been exceptions where they go a little nuts and go through cap hell ie. AJ’s first and last year with us. But in general, they always run right up to it but never over. It’s why our salary cap situation has always been middle of the pack up until when Rivers and some others finally left the team. 2021 was kind of odd since I think it was the first year we had a lot of excess cash to roll over to this year.

Comment

• Boltjolt
                        Dont let the PBs fool ya
                        • Jun 2013
                        • Henderson, NV
                        • Send PM

Originally posted by Critty View Post

I like that he had a great game vs Ohio State. I like that he can get through small holes in a hurry at 5'8 210. And he can get a bit lost behind the trees at his size. He shows great balance, doesn't get tripped up by arm tackles. Can catch it out of backfield. He ranks very high in yards after contact. He also played with Justin, so there should be some early chemistry between them in the pass and screen game.

I like him much better than Kelley.
                        The injury history is a concern.
                        So I have him in the 4th or 5th Rd

Durant can also catch it out of backfield and ranked high in yards after contact.

Ford is the most explosive of the three I mentioned.

I would really like TT to upgrade the depth at RB with either Ford, Verdell or Durant. And then cut Kelley.
                        My point is if we wanted a injury prone RB we can just keep Jackson but he likely won't be here for that reason. He is good when healthy.

I don't think Chemistry with a RB is a big deal getting screens and dumpoffs. Never crossed my mind he played with Herbert to make him desirable for me.

Comment

• Bolt4Knob
                          Registered Charger Fan
                          • Dec 2019
                          • Send PM

Originally posted by Xenos View Post
                          The Chargers have generally run a healthy cap since the beginning of the AJ Smith era. The second year anyways. There’s been exceptions where they go a little nuts and go through cap hell ie. AJ’s first and last year with us. But in general, they always run right up to it but never over. It’s why our salary cap situation has always been middle of the pack up until when Rivers and some others finally left the team. 2021 was kind of odd since I think it was the first year we had a lot of excess cash to roll over to this year.
                          And not thinking the Chargers should go crazy and sign their own and sign a bunch of players so in two years - things get crazy. But the cap is expected to go back up in 2023 - estimate to be over $220m (this year at $208m)

In a couple years Keenan Allen could be in line to restructure his number lower as other numbers go up. Same with a Linsley. So I think the Chargers can get creative this year.

But again, after signing their own players - I personally don't want them to go crazy. But I do want them to be strategic and that might cost a bit of money. I want QUALITY in free agency (as best as you can assess)

Comment

Working...
                          X