• Topcat
    AKA "Pollcat"
    • Jan 2019
    • Send PM

Originally posted by wu-dai clan View Post
    Exactly Steve.
    Per Gil Brandt/Nick Saban,
    going back several years,
    football now is about outscoring opponents.
    Give up playing defense.
    Competive balance.
    Broad, prevalent skill level.
    Exhibit A...2022 NFL playoffs.
    But...but...I thought DEFENSE wins championships...

Comment

• Topcat
      AKA "Pollcat"
      • Jan 2019
      • Send PM

Originally posted by Bolt4Knob View Post

And not thinking the Chargers should go crazy and sign their own and sign a bunch of players so in two years - things get crazy. But the cap is expected to go back up in 2023 - estimate to be over $220m (this year at $208m)

In a couple years Keenan Allen could be in line to restructure his number lower as other numbers go up. Same with a Linsley. So I think the Chargers can get creative this year.

But again, after signing their own players - I personally don't want them to go crazy. But I do want them to be strategic and that might cost a bit of money. I want QUALITY in free agency (as best as you can assess)
      Yep...for example, in 2022 KA is due to earn $16.5 mil and Linsley $9 mil. What if KA agrees to defer $2 mil of that and spread it out for the next few years, and Linsley $1 mil or so? $3 mil might be enough to buy a decent D-line FA, or at least put a dent in their asking price...

Comment

• Steve
        Administrator
        • Jun 2013
        • South Carolina
        • Meteorologist
        • Send PM

Originally posted by ghost View Post

A comprehensive look at Dallas’ cap situation, who can be restructured or released and for how much in savings, and what free agents are up for new deals. | From @KDDrummondNFL

Article on the Cowboys possible approach to getting under the cap: Restructures and cuts
        If you are just restructuring 1 or 2 guys, not a big deal. But to do it en mass, like Dallas likes to, just keeps putting off salary cap hell.

With players like Williams, and just FA in general, you tend to take guys who either are past their prime or are kind of underachievers (like Williams) and then you give them huge contracts with the idea of giving them what they would be worth on the open market. Although the misleading thing is that Williams really was among the best players, he would never be on the open market. Now, if the motivation was to work hard to get the respect of your peers and get the big contract, you just removed that motivation, and yet his performance is still not at that level.

The good thing is that I don't necessarily see Williams being motivated just by money. Maybe he is, but I don't get that sense.

The big problem I have is that he has just never turned into the player we kind of hoped he would be with the 7th pick in the draft. He is certainly a good player. But I would like to see him be better at the short passing game so that he could be a weapon with short slants, short outs, and making contested grabs in the paint on 3rd and medium, and 3rd and short. I think if he had a more well-rounded short game, it would open up his downfield game, which is already quite good.

He is still a very athletic guy, but his lack of short receptions keeps us from getting the ball into a very athletic guy's hands. He can still be a weapon in the screen game. And I thought Lombardi found a way to create plays to program some production into his bootleg game. But still, with the 7th pick, you would like to have him add some more to the shorter, quick passing game.

Screens and crossing routes might be short passes, but they take time and don't add the same element to his route tree. No one is going to be faked out by Williams running a short screen and jumping the route to beat the secondary deep. They just don't add to his "toolbox" and open up the deep game for him.

I loved his production in the 1st 5 games. And let's remember that the excuse some people will dredge up is that he is inconsistent in his production. Yeah, but you can say that about most WR. If a D wants to take a guy out, they won't be getting 100-yards worth of receiving yards every week, although in Williams's case, that is not what is happening.

Comment

• wu-dai clan
          Smooth Operation
          • May 2017
          • Send PM

It is hoped that y'all understand that I am quoting
          Nick Saban--the Nick Saban.
          We do not play modern football.

Comment

• Boltjolt
            Dont let the PBs fool ya
            • Jun 2013
            • Henderson, NV
            • Send PM

Originally posted by Topcat View Post

Yep...for example, in 2022 KA is due to earn $16.5 mil and Linsley $9 mil. What if KA agrees to defer $2 mil of that and spread it out for the next few years, and Linsley $1 mil or so? $3 mil might be enough to buy a decent D-line FA, or at least put a dent in their asking price...
            Defer it for years if you don't need the money. Bobby Bonilla is still getting paid by the Mets lol

Comment

• Bolt4Knob
              Registered Charger Fan
              • Dec 2019
              • Send PM

Originally posted by Topcat View Post

Exactly - its just moving money around here and there. Mike Williams if he signs a long term deal will have a smaller cap number this year - but in two years, Allen's number goes down while MW and Derwin James goes up. It is a dance to be played. I don't think the Chargers will ever play the game like the Saints but maybe a bit more in recent years

Comment

• dmac_bolt
                Day Tripper
                • May 2019
                • North of the Lagoon
                • Send PM

Originally posted by Bolt4Knob View Post

Exactly - its just moving money around here and there. Mike Williams if he signs a long term deal will have a smaller cap number this year - but in two years, Allen's number goes down while MW and Derwin James goes up. It is a dance to be played. I don't think the Chargers will ever play the game like the Saints but maybe a bit more in recent years
                They need to start playing it some because the Rams are playing it and winning LA out from under them in the process. (If winning the AFCW wasn’t enough incentive).
                “Less is more? NO NO NO - MORE is MORE!”

Comment

• Bolt4Knob
                  Registered Charger Fan
                  • Dec 2019
                  • Send PM

Originally posted by dmac_bolt View Post

They need to start playing it some because the Rams are playing it and winning LA out from under them in the process. (If winning the AFCW wasn’t enough incentive).
                  I just hope they look at a team like the Bengals. Ogunboi (6.2 for one year), Azuwie (3/21) and Hendrickson (4/60)

The Chargers have the cap space to take on two of these contracts - meaning one Trey Hendrickson and one of the other two. Three players, prime of their career. Hit the draft and than post draft fill in with veteran depth. Don't start free agency with the names Thomas DAvis, Bulaga, Harris and Cook. Thats how you end free agency

Comment

• jamrock
                    lawyers, guns and money
                    • Sep 2017
                    • Send PM

Originally posted by wu-dai clan View Post
                    It is hoped that y'all understand that I am quoting
                    Nick Saban--the Nick Saban.
                    You mean the guy who failed as an NFL coach?

Comment

• wu-dai clan
                      Smooth Operation
                      • May 2017
                      • Send PM

Originally posted by jamrock View Post

You mean the guy who failed as an NFL coach?
                      :shock:

Nick said this several years ago.
                      Tune in tomorrow to see who fails.
                      Or do you even watch the games ?
                      We WILL win with flair.

We do not play modern football.

Comment

• NoMoreChillies
                        Outback Goon
                        • Sep 2018
                        • Australia
                        • Send PM

Cant help but think how good Chargers would be with that 49ers D

Comment

• AK47
                          Registered Charger Fan
                          • May 2019
                          • Send PM

Originally posted by FoutsFan View Post

There is track speed and game speed. MW has game speed. People are not believing their lying eyes and telling themselves and you that MW is not fast enough to run deep routes.
                          IMHO, the reason why MW gets past DB's with much faster 40 times is 2 parts as per looking at his 2021 highlights.

1: DB's have to defend and respect MW's entire catch radius + YAC as he's a load for 1 DB to take down. His YAC numbers, yards per game, and longest catch (72 yarder) are all career highs for 2021. The bad news for DBs are they are forced to assume the risk of playing closer to MW where if they make a mistake MW can and will get past them. Again its Lombardi knowing how to maximize MW.....

2: Lombardi put MW in situations where the primary DB tasked to cover MW plus said DB's help are placed in "no mans land" situations where the outcome often involves MW being wide open with shoulders quickly square towards the end zone. Remember guys....6 TDs in 5 games to open 2021 before MW got dinged up a bit. Lombardi uncovered a means to get some serious production out of MW rather efficiently. Recall in the past where MW would get some hard earned catches resulting into highlight 1st downs but we'd lose him for a play or two. Not the case in 2021.

For 2022 (assuming if Lombardi stays) I'd really want TT and his scouts to work closely with Lombardi to find the right system weapons at WR and at TE. That said, I'd then follow up with what available OC's model their systems closely to Lombardi in the event he leaves. Keep some continuity for Herbert.

Comment

Working...
                          X