• Boltjolt
    Dont let the PBs fool ya
    • Jun 2013
    • Henderson, NV
    • Send PM

Originally posted by Velo View Post
    Joshua Palmer Pick No. 77: 33 rec 353 yds 10.7 y/r 4 TD

Amon-Ra St. Brown Pick No. 112 by Detroit: 90 rec 912 yds 10.1 y/r 5 TD

St. Brown quickly emerged as the Lions' best WR and led the team in all categories. Is he that much better than Palmer or was his production due to being pressed into service out of necessity? The Lions' other two main WRs are not even worth mentioning, they don't come close to comparing to Keenan Allen and Mike Williams. When you're a rookie behind a duo like that you're not going to get as many opportunities. Palmer did have his best game when KA was out, catching 5 of 7 for 66 yds and 1 TD.

Larry Rountree Pick No. 198: 36 carries 87 yds 2.1 ypc 1 TD

Kahlil Herbert Pick No. 217 by Chicago: 103 carries 433 yds 4.2 ypc 2 TD

Telesco can't seem to get backup RB right. Two misses in consecutive drafts. Maybe Rountree bounces back next season but I didn't see much from him as a rookie to be honest. Kelley is a bust; I don't know if either belong in the NFL; you can find better RBs among the undrafteds. WFT's UDFA RB Jaret Patterson had 68 carries 266 yds 3.9 ypc 2 TD

Also worth noting is that Elijah Mitchell came off the board four picks before Rountree. He's going to start for the 49ers in the NFC Championship game on Sunday. He had 207 carries for 963 yds 4.7 ypc 5 TD in just 11 games. He is leading the playoff field in rushing with 149 yds, though that only comes out 3.4 ypc. He's scored 1 TD. Maybe we just missed out there.
    It's all about opportunities sometimes. The Lions as you said don't have a Keenan or MW so St. Brown wouldn't be getting those opportunities here either.
    They signed Tyrell and he played 2 quarters and got hurt. Didn't play again.

I wasn't big on Roundtree but we'll see if he improves.

Comment

• Bolts4ever213
      Day One...
      • Mar 2019
      • Brentwood, 94513
      • Send PM

The hope is that players continue to move forward. The more I think of it, paying two wr mad money is too much for the team with big holes on defense. I love Mike and what he does, but I’m telling you, Herbert can make many wr look good. I’d trade the idea of Mike for two very fast wr.

Comment

• FoutsFan
        Registered Charger Fan
        • Feb 2019
        • Birmingham AL
        • Send PM

Originally posted by Steve View Post
        Two things.

1). It is worth remembering that a lot of NFL coaches say a players biggest improvement is between the 1st and 2nd years. Guys like Roundtree and McKitty may still come on as offensive weapons, even if their performance so far is not so great. Even development between 2nd and 3rd or 3rd and 4th is not unheard of (less likely though). Not saying we shouldn't bring in competition, but bring them in and let them compete whether it is former draft pick, street FA, or UDFA.

2). While the late-round picks are probably not going to add players who will be of the great playmaking variety, we can:
        A) Use them to try and trade up. And that can include flip-flopping position in a round to try to improve value. Try to maximize the number of picks in day 2-ish.
        B). Trade for players who have worn out their welcome. I am sure teams will be calling us about the late-round picks, prior to their cap cuts, but there are often guys who get cut a bit later on.
        Palmer will probably be one of those guys that takes a big step next year. That being said I do not think he can replace what MW brings to the table at WR.

Comment

• Bolt-O
          Administrator
          • Jun 2013
          • Send PM

Originally posted by Boltjolt View Post
          Our division plays pretty much the same schedule except we will get an easier game thrown in because we finished 3rd.
          But the Texans kicked out ass this year so there goes that theory. Just beat our division rivals.

Fix this defense Telesco!
          Three third place teams from the AFCE (Dolphins), AFCN (Browns) and NFCS (Falcons), but not really much easier, as two of the teams could have been playoff teams. Yes, fixing the D could make the difference in winning common games with the AFCS and NFCW

Comment

• chargeroo
            Fan since 1961
            • Jan 2019
            • Oregon
            • Retired Manager/Pastor
            • Send PM

Originally posted by Bolts4ever213 View Post
            The hope is that players continue to move forward. The more I think of it, paying two wr mad money is too much for the team with big holes on defense. I love Mike and what he does, but I’m telling you, Herbert can make many wr look good. I’d trade the idea of Mike for two very fast wr.
            I just watched a JH highlight video on you tube and all but two of the big, long passes were to M Williams. Somehow, he keeps getting deep. Everyone keeps saying replace him with some speed merchants but he's the best we have at catching the deep passes.

One more point - how many Very fast WR's will be available to us and can they catch?
            THE YEAR OF THE FLIP!

Comment

• Maniaque 6
              French Speaking Charger Fan
              • Jan 2019
              • Québec city
              • Send PM

Originally posted by Steve View Post
              Two things.

1). It is worth remembering that a lot of NFL coaches say a players biggest improvement is between the 1st and 2nd years. Guys like Roundtree and McKitty may still come on as offensive weapons, even if their performance so far is not so great. Even development between 2nd and 3rd or 3rd and 4th is not unheard of (less likely though). Not saying we shouldn't bring in competition, but bring them in and let them compete whether it is former draft pick, street FA, or UDFA.

2). While the late-round picks are probably not going to add players who will be of the great playmaking variety, we can:
              A) Use them to try and trade up. And that can include flip-flopping position in a round to try to improve value. Try to maximize the number of picks in day 2-ish.
              B). Trade for players who have worn out their welcome. I am sure teams will be calling us about the late-round picks, prior to their cap cuts, but there are often guys who get cut a bit later on.
              Can we consider K. Murray and Joshua Kelley in that group ?

Comment

• blueman
                Registered Charger Fan
                • Jun 2013
                • Send PM

Originally posted by Maniaque 6 View Post

I’ll play: no and no. Cut bait.

(then again, Pips had a couple good games late in the season, so who knows)

Comment

• AK47
                  Registered Charger Fan
                  • May 2019
                  • Send PM

Originally posted by chargeroo View Post

I just watched a JH highlight video on you tube and all but two of the big, long passes were to M Williams. Somehow, he keeps getting deep. Everyone keeps saying replace him with some speed merchants but he's the best we have at catching the deep passes.

One more point - how many Very fast WR's will be available to us and can they catch?
                  Lombardi admitted he was surprised on how fast Herbert can catch on, Ekeler's strength, perhaps maybe even Parham's body control for a 6-8 guy. The one guy which he knew exactly how to utilize was MW. I can see MW average 8-9 TDs a season for the next 5 years under Lombardi's system.

Comment

• Boltinloudguy
                    Registered Charger Fan
                    • Nov 2021
                    • Send PM

Originally posted by Velo View Post
                    Joshua Palmer Pick No. 77: 33 rec 353 yds 10.7 y/r 4 TD

Amon-Ra St. Brown Pick No. 112 by Detroit: 90 rec 912 yds 10.1 y/r 5 TD

St. Brown quickly emerged as the Lions' best WR and led the team in all categories. Is he that much better than Palmer or was his production due to being pressed into service out of necessity? The Lions' other two main WRs are not even worth mentioning, they don't come close to comparing to Keenan Allen and Mike Williams. When you're a rookie behind a duo like that you're not going to get as many opportunities. Palmer did have his best game when KA was out, catching 5 of 7 for 66 yds and 1 TD.

Larry Rountree Pick No. 198: 36 carries 87 yds 2.1 ypc 1 TD

Kahlil Herbert Pick No. 217 by Chicago: 103 carries 433 yds 4.2 ypc 2 TD

Telesco can't seem to get backup RB right. Two misses in consecutive drafts. Maybe Rountree bounces back next season but I didn't see much from him as a rookie to be honest. Kelley is a bust; I don't know if either belong in the NFL; you can find better RBs among the undrafteds. WFT's UDFA RB Jaret Patterson had 68 carries 266 yds 3.9 ypc 2 TD

Also worth noting is that Elijah Mitchell came off the board four picks before Rountree. He's going to start for the 49ers in the NFC Championship game on Sunday. He had 207 carries for 963 yds 4.7 ypc 5 TD in just 11 games. He is leading the playoff field in rushing with 149 yds, though that only comes out 3.4 ypc. He's scored 1 TD. Maybe we just missed out there.
                    What I noticed from Khalil Herbert and Elijah Mitchell. Is that they averaged over 6 yards a carry during college. Rountree averaged 5. Rountree played stiffer competition and I’m not saying he won’t be good. I’ll give him another year to figure it out, but Josh Kelly can go.

Comment

• FoutsFan
                      Registered Charger Fan
                      • Feb 2019
                      • Birmingham AL
                      • Send PM

There is track speed and game speed. MW has game speed. People are not believing their lying eyes and telling themselves and you that MW is not fast enough to run deep routes.

Comment

• Steve
                        Administrator
                        • Jun 2013
                        • South Carolina
                        • Meteorologist
                        • Send PM

Originally posted by Maniaque 6 View Post

Who knows.

My point is we should bring them back to TC and give them a good hard look to see if they step up.

So many fans just get pissed and want to punish the guys for not being superstars out of the gate. But who are you going to replace them with? We still have a lot of holes in the roster. So, one or more of those spots will be filled with street or undraft FA. Most of those guys have almost zero chance of developing.

We are better off giving guys a year or two, and spreading the picks out among the many needs, and see who develops. Sure, some of them won't and eventually, you do need to sign someone else. But a guy like Murray has elite physical tools, so give him a chance, and see what he can do through TC.

Now, at the end of TC, push may come to shove and it is time to dump them. You can't wait forever. But when there are a lot of holes to fill, go through them and then give them a chance.

I wasn't considering Palmer among the guys who needed to develop just because he is on the right path. He was not playing early, but then got a bunch of playing time in the end of the season. He is not as good as he needs to be, but he is showing progress. I though Guyton did the same thing. But neither is playing as well as we need them to play to be an answer.

Comment

• Steve
                          Administrator
                          • Jun 2013
                          • South Carolina
                          • Meteorologist
                          • Send PM

The speed thing isn't just about being able to get deep. Even WR like Allen can get deep and make some catches downfield. However, do you have the kind of speed to get behind a D and scare them that any false move that a DB bites on could give up a TD. That is why KC scares people with Hill and Hardiman, because their guys are so fast. Once they get a step on the DB, they are gone. So the defense plays them different.

Williams does get deep and he is always going to be a threat downfield, but he doesn't have the speed element that scares a DB. The DB knows that he can stay with Mike Williams and run with him. We shouldn't minimize that Williams gives us a deep threat. But a speed guy with true sprinters speed would add an additional element to that deep threat.

Now, that being said, don't overrate speed just for speed sake. Remember back in the Bobby Ross days the Raider literally had 4 WR who had all won gold medals as members of the US 4x100 m relays (not at the same time). They had one of the worst WR corp in football. Speed only helps if you can run the other routes that set up the DB. A fast guy still has to run routes, or they aren't going to fool anyone. Guys like Allen may only run 4.5 40, but they can run routes and they get DB to bite on moves all the time. The HOF has a lot more great players who were elite route runners than guys who were super fast.

And then there is the catching thing.

Comment

Working...
                          X