• Show
Clear All
  • dmac_bolt
    Day Tripper
    • May 2019
    • North of the Lagoon
    • Send PM

Originally posted by Xenos View Post

I don’t buy the injury excuse especially since we were relatively healthy towards the end of the year, outside of the weird Covid game against the Texans.
    I think his primary point is some key guys they counted on failed to show up: Davis, Tillery, Murray and Adderley. I’d agree on the first 3 and partially agree on Adderley only as it seemed he started to get better later in the season.

He could have picked 4 other starters with the same conclusion. Too many key defensive players failed to do their jobs, period. King James was polite when he said they gotta then go out and beat the guy in front of them. Players were constantly put in a position to make a play and got smoked. Better Players will fix Staley’s image just fine.
    “Less is more? NO NO NO - MORE is MORE!”

Comment

• powderblueboy
      Registered Charger Fan
      • Jul 2017
      • Send PM

Originally posted by Xenos View Post

I don’t buy the injury excuse especially since we were relatively healthy towards the end of the year, outside of the weird Covid game against the Texans.
      I don't buy the Charger D improved as the season went along statement.

They regressed if we consider the two Raider games.

Comment

• Bolt4Knob
        Registered Charger Fan
        • Dec 2019
        • Send PM

Originally posted by powderblueboy View Post

It does seem the last 10 games of the season - third downs were not watchable. I mean, I just didn't have faith the defense could or would get off the field.

Comment

• powderblueboy
          Registered Charger Fan
          • Jul 2017
          • Send PM

Originally posted by dmac_bolt View Post

I think his primary point is some key guys they counted on failed to show up: Davis, Tillery, Murray and Adderley. I’d agree on the first 3 and partially agree on Adderley only as it seemed he started to get better later in the season.

He could have picked 4 other starters with the same conclusion. Too many key defensive players failed to do their jobs, period. King James was polite when he said they gotta then go out and beat the guy in front of them. Players were constantly put in a position to make a play and got smoked. Better Players will fix Staley’s image just fine.
          If they constantly got smoked, then its questionable as to whether they were constantly put in the right position....by the very definition of that statement.
          Staley's assertion of individually tailoring the D to player strengths might be smoke.

Davis, for example, was asked to do more than he was accustomed: he was fine in Gus Bradley's D. That doesn't mean continue with Bradley's D; but you start to question
          whether or not the D was set up for players to succeed. In Davis's case, obviously not.

Comment

• Bolt-O
            Administrator
            • Jun 2013
            • Send PM

Comment

• powderblueboy
              Registered Charger Fan
              • Jul 2017
              • Send PM

Originally posted by Bolt4Knob View Post

It does seem the last 10 games of the season - third downs were not watchable. I mean, I just didn't have faith the defense could or would get off the field.
              Charger's D wasn't fooling anyone on 3rd downs....and there were multiple ways in which they would fail:

on the big 3rd down & 8 in OT - the car completion - there was no pass rush;
              on the 3rd & 23 draw, the whole middle was vacated;
              on the 3rd & 6 nail in the coffin run was a defense outflanked on the left;
              on the dump off to the tight end who rumbled down field i believe was on 3rd down.....there was a miscommunication on who should cover him.

Staley's guys better be flat out studs.

Comment

• powderblueboy
                Registered Charger Fan
                • Jul 2017
                • Send PM

Originally posted by Bolt-O View Post
                Taking responsibility means tendering your resignation if things aren't fixed next year.
                I doubt TT means that....its fashionable these days to 'take responsibility'.

I remember reading about a french general, whose actions lead to an embarrassment for the government, commit suicide as a matter of honor.

Not asking TT to go that far.

Comment

• Xenos
                  Registered Charger Fan
                  • Feb 2019
                  • Send PM

If they constantly got smoked, then its questionable as to whether they were constantly put in the right position....by the very definition of that statement.
                  Staley's assertion of individually tailoring the D to player strengths might be smoke.

Davis, for example, was asked to do more than he was accustomed: he was fine in Gus Bradley's D. That doesn't mean continue with Bradley's D; but you start to question
                  whether or not the D was set up for players to succeed. In Davis's case, obviously not.
                  It was inconsistent to say the least especially at the individual level. White, Jones, Nwosu, Adderley, and Tranquil probably had their best year respectively. But guys like Davis regressed.

Comment

• Bolt4Knob
                    Registered Charger Fan
                    • Dec 2019
                    • Send PM

Taking responsibility means tendering your resignation if things aren't fixed next year.

I doubt TT means that....its fashionable these days to 'take responsibility'....just as long as there are no personal consequences for your failure
                    The one question I would want Telesco to answer about taking responsibility for the defense:

After the Ravens game, the team was 2-4 but most fans saw run defense for sure, as a weakness - over the two weeks after until the trade deadline
                    1) did you call other teams for IDL depth
                    2) did you turn down any offers?

Comment

• Bolt4Knob
                      Registered Charger Fan
                      • Dec 2019
                      • Send PM

Charger's D wasn't fooling anyone on 3rd downs....and there were multiple ways in which they would fail:

on the big 3rd down & 8 in OT - the car completion - there was no pass rush;
                      on the 3rd & 23 draw, the whole middle was vacated;
                      on the 3rd & 6 nail in the coffin run was a defense outflanked on the left;
                      on the dump off to the tight end who rumbled down field i believe was on 3rd down.....there was a miscommunication on who should cover him.

Staley's guys better be flat out studs.
                      Go back to the Vikings game

Comment

• Xenos
                        Registered Charger Fan
                        • Feb 2019
                        • Send PM

It was definitely weird what happened. They started out unable to stop the run but able to limit the explosive passing plays as well as limiting the TDs in the red zone. It felt like the dam broke after the Browns game. There were moments where they did good after the bye like the Patriots game and even the Bengals one. But it was more bad than good. I think I’m still upset about the Raiders game because by all accounts, we should have dominated like the first game.

Comment

• wu-dai clan
                          Smooth Operation
                          • May 2017
                          • Send PM

Process over results.
                          We do not play modern football.

Comment

Working...
                          X