• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Parcells
    Registered Charger Fan
    • Jun 2013
    • Send PM

Originally posted by Critty View Post

Would be great to keep Williams, but they already have Allen making 16m. Think Mike is going to get offers over 15m per season, probably closer to 20m per year avg. And even if you have the creative deal to make some years cap hit lower. It's a lot of money tied up in two WRs.

Don't think it's a good idea.
    Think it's better idea to put that Williams money elsewhere like right side of OL, and Defense because Herbert with better protection and defense will be able to make all the plays you need.

Or maybe better to add 2 WRs for the cost of keeping Williams. Add speed and depth Kirk and Berrios guys who can also do punt return and get YAC. The offense has a lot of short routes designed to get ball to players quickly in space. Then you have Allen, Palmer who takes over Mike's spot, he is a good high point contested catch WR. Then you have Kirk and Berrios as 3 and 4. Plus it gives you returner depth too.

I don't know. Just think other areas or double up at WRs for depth could be the better way to spend that money. Than just all toward 1 player who is your WR2.
    Look at it like Allen’s contract will be off the books by the time it’s ready to pay Herbert. And when that happens, you’re not gonna have anything close to a number one WR. Allen may be off the books as soon as 2023. His contract really starts to balloon next year and the dead money plummets after this year (5.4 M next year and 2.7 M the year after which would be going into the final year of the deal).

Comment

• chargeroo
      Fan since 1961
      • Jan 2019
      • Oregon
      • Retired Manager/Pastor
      • Send PM

Would be great to keep Williams, but they already have Allen making 16m. Think Mike is going to get offers over 15m per season, probably closer to 20m per year avg. And even if you have the creative deal to make some years cap hit lower. It's a lot of money tied up in two WRs.

Think it's better idea to put that Williams money elsewhere like right side of OL, and Defense because Herbert with better protection and defense will be able to make all the plays you need.

Or maybe better to add 2 WRs for the cost of keeping Williams. Add speed and depth Kirk and Berrios guys who can also do punt return and get YAC. The offense has a lot of short routes designed to get ball to players quickly in space. Then you have Allen, Palmer who takes over Mike's spot, he is a good high point contested catch WR. Then you have Kirk and Berrios as 3 and 4. Plus it gives you returner depth too.

I don't know. Just think other areas or double up at WRs for depth could be the better way to spend that money. Than just all toward 1 player who is your WR2.
      Critty, you and I are often in lock step but not this time. You worry about having two high paid WR's but look around the league, a lot of teams have two high paid WR's. If they can handle it, why can't the Bolts?

If I had to let one go to FA, I'd sooner let Allen go. He's 30 years old now and has started having trouble catching the ball. Williams is the one that gets free deep, not Allen. But, I see no reason they can't keep both of them. Take away either of them and you've taken away one of Herbert's favorite targets. Don't handicap our great young QB.

I say, pay Williams, add a decent RT and sign Aboushi. Spend everything else on the defense.
      THE YEAR OF THE FLIP!

Comment

• Boltjolt
        Dont let the PBs fool ya
        • Jun 2013
        • Henderson, NV
        • Send PM

Originally posted by chargeroo View Post

Critty, you and I are often in lock step but not this time. You worry about having two high paid WR's but look around the league, a lot of teams have two high paid WR's. If they can handle it, why can't the Bolts?

If I had to let one go to FA, I'd sooner let Allen go. He's 30 years old now and has started having trouble catching the ball. Williams is the one that gets free deep, not Allen. But, I see no reason they can't keep both of them. Take away either of them and you've taken away one of Herbert's favorite targets. Don't handicap our great young QB.

I say, pay Williams, add a decent RT and sign Aboushi. Spend everything else on the defense.
        Denver has 3 high paid WRs though Juedy is on his first round contract.

Comment

• Xenos
          Registered Charger Fan
          • Feb 2019
          • Send PM

I flip flop between wanting Mike Williams here or not based on some of the reasons you mentioned.

Comment

• blueman
            Registered Charger Fan
            • Jun 2013
            • Send PM

Ghost, I’ll jump in your Lewis Cine golf buggy. Agree with others about needing edge upgrade, but no pass rush is his ever gonna beat Mahomes, he had constant pressure from the Bills and still found guys to throw to. Our secondary sucked in enough games and critical situations for Cine to be the pick at 17.

Comment

• Bolt4Knob
              Registered Charger Fan
              • Dec 2019
              • Send PM

Originally posted by Xenos View Post

I flip flop between wanting Mike Williams here or not based on some of the reasons you mentioned.
              Chargers either need to pay him or move forward. If you aren't willing to sign him long term - that tells me you are not sold on him. He is a good player so if you don't bring him back, Telesco needs to spend the money on a player of his caliber - even another position.

Replacing him with a Christian Kirk for 10m - might not be enough unless you take the other money and upgrade CB too

Comment

• Maniaque 6
                French Speaking Charger Fan
                • Jan 2019
                • Québec city
                • Send PM

That's it !

Comment

• sonorajim
                  Registered Charger Fan
                  • Jan 2019
                  • Send PM

I lean toward keep Williams & Allen They were very productive. Re-up Aboushi.
                  RT? Pipkins looked like he's ready to step up. Maybe Jaimes. Norton had a bad game vs a top rusher. Not sure why he wasn't getting more help. Herbert had a spectacular end game regardless.
                  Run D had a few decent plays. On avg, not nearly enough. Filling the hole, controlling the edge, tackling was not consistently good. We need to add a quality DT and ILB.
                  Pass coverage was inconsistent. Starter quality availability was an issue. We need to add another very good DB.
                  We have a bunch of Chargers who need new contracts so don't get crazy in FA but there should be a splash signing or 2 on D.
                  BPA at 17 but if close, gimme DT or CB.

Comment

• Bolt4Knob
                    Registered Charger Fan
                    • Dec 2019
                    • Send PM

Originally posted by sonorajim View Post

I lean toward keep Williams & Allen They were very productive. Re-up Aboushi.
                    RT? Pipkins looked like he's ready to step up. Maybe Jaimes. Norton had a bad game vs a top rusher. Not sure why he wasn't getting more help. Herbert had a spectacular end game regardless.
                    Run D had a few decent plays. On avg, not nearly enough. Filling the hole, controlling the edge, tackling was not consistently good. We need to add a quality DT and ILB.
                    Pass coverage was inconsistent. Starter quality availability was an issue. We need to add another very good DB.
                    We have a bunch of Chargers who need new contracts so don't get crazy in FA but there should be a splash signing or 2 on D.
                    BPA at 17 but if close, gimme DT or CB
                    Spot on post - what did Rome used to say "rack him!"

But for sure - after the Chargers get their own players signed - there won't be a lot but I think a couple players can be signed on defense. Not two mega price points but one Linsley, one Feiler-ish

As for 17 - I would include RT as well

Comment

• TexanBeerlover
                      Registered Charger Fan
                      • Feb 2021
                      • Send PM

Originally posted by Bolt4Knob View Post

Spot on post - what did Rome used to say "rack him!"

But for sure - after the Chargers get their own players signed - there won't be a lot but I think a couple players can be signed on defense. Not two mega price points but one Linsley, one Feiler-ish

As for 17 - I would include RT as well
                      He got everything right but bpa #17. Lol

if you think there is a corner worth #17 ask yourself is he that much better than Asante Samual in 2nd? DT #17 is there a true difference, every down playmaker or is he more developmental?

That #17 pick has got to hit the ground running, can’t get cute or miss. Need to address biggest hole if possible, several worthy OT’s and couple ILB’s think he mentioned as priority.

Comment

• Bolt4Knob
                        Registered Charger Fan
                        • Dec 2019
                        • Send PM

Originally posted by TexanBeerlover View Post

He got everything right but bpa #17. Lol

if you think there is a corner worth #17 ask yourself is he that much better than Asante Samual in 2nd? DT #17 is there a true difference, every down playmaker or is he more developmental?

That #17 pick has got to hit the ground running, can’t get cute or miss. Need to address biggest hole if possible, several worthy OT’s and couple ILB’s think he mentioned as priority.
                        I think that is why my preference today would be RT. Just plug in a solid dude like Penning or the guy Jeremiah mocked to the Chargers . Bookend for Slater.

Comment

• TexanBeerlover
                          Registered Charger Fan
                          • Feb 2021
                          • Send PM

Originally posted by Bolt4Knob View Post

I think that is why my preference today would be RT. Just plug in a solid dude like Penning or the guy Jeremiah mocked to the Chargers . Bookend for Slater.
                          Need to know you can coach some of that meanness out of Penning, he’s often penalized and just won’t get off his man (who he’s destroying) after the whistle. Have to admit I want that on Crosby though. Bernard Raimann is raw, developmental but more athletically gifted, but Chargers need someone that wins starting role day one @ RT.
                          ILB Nakobe Dean all the way, if length holds Telesco back fine with Devin Lloyd. Biggest hole imo.

Comment

Working...
                          X