Comment

• Berserker76
      Registered Charger Fan
      • Nov 2019
      • Send PM

Originally posted by ghost View Post

Akiem Hicks - Chicago

BJ Hill - Cincinnati
      Hicks has a nasty attitude, perfect for a D lineman. Still has a few years in the tank and hopefully his attitude would rub off on some of the younger guys. Would love to have him.

Comment

• Critty
        Dominate the Day.
        • Mar 2019
        • Send PM

Originally posted by chargeroo View Post

Critty, you and I are often in lock step but not this time. You worry about having two high paid WR's but look around the league, a lot of teams have two high paid WR's. If they can handle it, why can't the Bolts?

If I had to let one go to FA, I'd sooner let Allen go. He's 30 years old now and has started having trouble catching the ball. Williams is the one that gets free deep, not Allen. But, I see no reason they can't keep both of them. Take away either of them and you've taken away one of Herbert's favorite targets. Don't handicap our great young QB.

I say, pay Williams, add a decent RT and sign Aboushi. Spend everything else on the defense.
        If he can be signed for closer to 4y/$50m. 20 guaranteed. Then for sure.

but if takes 4/$80m to keep him. I wouldn't do it.

When I look at the great WR and all the ones who went for over 1000yds and check their catch percentage.
        They are all consistently in the 60s to 70s
        Williams is consistently in the 50s vs his peers.
        I don't like that.

If I'm going to go that route and pay Mike $20m per year.
        Then I'd rather up that to 4y/$85m 50 guaranteed and offer it to D.Adams-WR instead.
        Who has it better than us?

Comment

• Steve
          Administrator
          • Jun 2013
          • South Carolina
          • Meteorologist
          • Send PM

Hicks is a popular name because of his ties to Staley from Chicago.

I am surprised they don't mention BJ Hill more. He was the "other" DT lined up next to Justin Jones in college at NC State, next to Chubb. The Bengals, while they have some cap space (3rd overall), they tend to not like to feel like they are overpaying. Too many seasons of them being used by other teams to drive up the price of FA, and then when they did win the bidding, they would get stuck with guys who were just there to collect the check. These days, they tend to be fairly conservative as far as FA spending. If we would want him, that would be one less team with a lot of cap space to compete with.

Comment

• Xenos
            Registered Charger Fan
            • Feb 2019
            • Send PM

Originally posted by Steve View Post

I am surprised they don't mention BJ Hill more. He was the "other" DT lined up next to Justin Jones in college at NC State, next to Chubb. The Bengals, while they have some cap space (3rd overall), they tend to not like to feel like they are overpaying. Too many seasons of them being used by other teams to drive up the price of FA, and then when they did win the bidding, they would get stuck with guys who were just there to collect the check. These days, they tend to be fairly conservative as far as FA spending. If we would want him, that would be one less team with a lot of cap space to compete with.
            The Bengals have actually gone big the last two years in FA. Probably because Burrow is on his rookie contract. And for the most part, the FA pickups the last two years have contributed to their playoff run this year. Guys like Trey Hendrickson came up big.
            Last edited by Xenos; 01-27-2022, 11:05 PM.

Comment

• Formula 21
              The Future is Now
              • Jun 2013
              • Republic of San Diego
              • Send PM

I hope TT trades some of those late round comp picks for established players. I have a hard time seeing all those low probability picks making the team. We need solid experienced backups now.
              Now, if you excuse me, I have some Charger memories to suppress.
              The Wasted Decade is done.
              Build Back Better.

Comment

• gzubeck
                Ines Sainz = Jet Bait!
                • Jan 2019
                • Tucson, AZ
                • Send PM

Originally posted by Xenos View Post

The Bengals have actually gone big the last two years in FA. Probably because Burrow is on his rookie contract. And for the most part, the FA pickups the last two years have contributed to their playoff run this year. Guys like Trey Hendrickson came up big.
                Paid off! They're one of the four finalists.
                Chiefs won the Superbowl with 10 Rookies....

"Locked, Cocked, and ready to Rock!" Jim Harbaugh

Comment

• NoMoreChillies
                  Outback Goon
                  • Sep 2018
                  • Australia
                  • Send PM

I remember watching them both at senior bowl practice just tearing thru guys

Comment

• Bolt4Knob
                    Registered Charger Fan
                    • Dec 2019
                    • Send PM

Originally posted by Formula 21 View Post
                    I hope TT trades some of those late round comp picks for established players. I have a hard time seeing all those low probability picks making the team. We need solid experienced backups now.
                    I agree with this. Maybe call the Saints and offer a 6th or 7th for a player that might be released - even if they do it post June 1 (granted, that means the Chargers would be drafting for the Saints). I keep going back to Onyemata as an example

But I agree with you - if a team is in cap hell and might release a player - send them a later round pick.

Another player maybe to target to help their cap -- The Giants for Kenny Golladay if MW is not back. 3 years for 51m left so 17m per year but that could be managed from a cap perspective.
                    Last edited by Bolt4Knob; 01-28-2022, 08:11 AM.

Comment

• Bolt4Knob
                      Registered Charger Fan
                      • Dec 2019
                      • Send PM

I agree about Hill and also Sebastion Joseph Day as the top two targets for IDL next to Justin Jones

Than add Hicks as rotational depth, fewer snaps - maybe on early downs with Tillery on passing downs. Now you have a four man group that should be better than 2021: Jones, Day or Hill, Hicks and Tillery. Draft an IDL as well for the future.

Comment

• chargeroo
                        Fan since 1961
                        • Jan 2019
                        • Oregon
                        • Retired Manager/Pastor
                        • Send PM

Originally posted by Critty View Post

If he can be signed for closer to 4y/$50m. 20 guaranteed. Then for sure.

but if takes 4/$80m to keep him. I wouldn't do it.

When I look at the great WR and all the ones who went for over 1000yds and check their catch percentage.
                        They are all consistently in the 60s to 70s
                        Williams is consistently in the 50s vs his peers.
                        I don't like that.

If I'm going to go that route and pay Mike $20m per year.
                        Then I'd rather up that to 4y/$85m 50 guaranteed and offer it to D.Adams-WR instead.
                        I agree with your dollar amounts. I like Williams and I hope they can keep him but not if they have to overpay for him. If his demands are too high then we'll need to use a high draft pick for a replacement. I know many think Palmer is the right guy to replace MW but Palmer hasn't won me over yet.
                        THE YEAR OF THE FLIP!

Comment

• Steve
                          Administrator
                          • Jun 2013
                          • South Carolina
                          • Meteorologist
                          • Send PM

I'm not sure I want to sign 2 FA, outside of our own players. I am thinking more in terms of adding some help via FA, and some via the draft.

Part of that is a monetary thing. People keep talking about signing players for the right price, but the amount of money available for the worst teams is completely obscene this year. I think anyone talking about getting bargain FA is simply deluding themselves. Any player who has shown a whiff of ability is going to be swimming in money.

Comment

Working...
                          X