Clear All
  • Velo
    Ride!
    • Aug 2019
    • Everywhere
    • Leave the gun, take the cannolis
    • Send PM

Originally posted by wu-dai clan View Post
    Things were learned and applied to D-Day.

I thought of your father and comrades, Velo, while watching "Dunkirk" in IMAX.
    Yes. So much of the planning for D-Day came out of what they learned from the failed landing at Dieppe. The biggest lesson they learned was not to try to land at a port. The Germans defended them too heavily. The D-Day planners were determined to land on beaches that were less heavily defended. That led to the development of the Mulberry Harbor the allies towed over from England to the landing beaches at Normandy.

They also learned from Dieppe they had to have complete control of the airspace over the D-Day landing beaches. In the two years between Dieppe and D-Day, the allied air forces concentrated on destroying the Luftwaffe. By D-Day, the fighter corps of the Luftwaffe in the Western theater was completely decimated. The Luftwaffe was virtually absent from the skies on D-Day.

The other big lesson learned from Dieppe was the absolute necessity of fire support. At Dieppe, there was no heavy bombing from the air to soften up German defenses. Also at Dieppe, the Royal Navy had refused to allow any of its capital ships operate in the English Channel. A few months earlier, Japanese land-based aircraft had sunk two British battleships in the South China Sea. The Royal Navy would not allow any of its battleships or cruisers participate in the Dieppe Raid and expose them to the risk of being sunk by the Luftwaffe. The only fire support came from a few destroyers and their puny 4-inch guns; the Luftwaffe sunk one of them. On D-Day, before the troops hit the beaches, the Allied air forces mounted a massive aerial bombing assault on German defenses in Normandy. Also the Allies had seven battleships (including the USS Texas, Arkansas and Nevada), five heavy cruisers and 17 light cruisers providing fire support during the landings at D-Day.

So many lessons learned from the fiasco at Dieppe that led to success at D-Day. Lord Mountbatten, whose Combined Operations planned Dieppe, later said for every man who died at Dieppe ten lives were saved at D-Day from the lessons learned.

Comment

• wu-dai clan
      Smooth Operation
      • May 2017
      • Send PM

Fascinating stuff. Thank you.
      Never gonna forget that picture.
      We do not play modern football.

Comment

• wu-dai clan
        Smooth Operation
        • May 2017
        • Send PM

I was just in Chicago last week. With only a half day of free time, I chose to go to the U-505 exhibit, and tour inside a captured German U-Boat. Awesome history. Tell us more, anytime Velo.

Comment

• Topcat
          AKA "Pollcat"
          • Jan 2019
          • Send PM

I was just in Chicago last week. With only a half day of free time, I chose to go to the U-505 exhibit, and tour inside a captured German U-Boat. Awesome history. Tell us more, anytime Velo.
          One of my favorite flicks is "Das Boot"...

Comment

• wu-dai clan
            Smooth Operation
            • May 2017
            • Send PM

Originally posted by Topcat View Post

One of my favorite flicks is "Das Boot"...
            Meh.
            It's no "Titanic."

Comment

• Topcat
              AKA "Pollcat"
              • Jan 2019
              • Send PM

Meh.
              It's no "Titanic."
              "Titanic" had great CGI, but the story was kind of contrived and melodramatic...now, "Das Boot," great, gritty action and, I understand, very realistic...that scene of the repeated depth charging, then the recovery...cinematic gold...

Comment

• wu-dai clan
                Smooth Operation
                • May 2017
                • Send PM

Thought for sure Titanic was your fav. :lol:

If you ever get to Chi-town, Cat, U505 is highly recommended...like Das Boot, only real ... @ Museum of Science and Industry.

Comment

• Topcat
                  AKA "Pollcat"
                  • Jan 2019
                  • Send PM

Thought for sure Titanic was your fav. :lol:

If you ever get to Chi-town, Cat, U505 is highly recommended...like Das Boot, only real ... @ Museum of Science and Industry.
                  Sounds good, Wood...I've been on sub tours in both Portland and San Diego, so that U-505 sounds cool...regarding Titanic, didn't like the movie all that much (aside from CGI and action)...I just like to refer to it frequently because it's the epitome of disaster in so many forms...and the Titanic similes and metaphors just seem to fit, ahem, to borrow one of your favs, "modern football" in so many ways...

Comment

• Boltdiehard
                    The Precious
                    • May 2019
                    • Send PM

Any other recent empty nesters here?

Comment

• Boltjolt
                      Dont let the PBs fool ya
                      • Jun 2013
                      • Henderson, NV
                      • Send PM

Originally posted by Topcat View Post

Sounds good, Wood...I've been on sub tours in both Portland and San Diego, so that U-505 sounds cool...regarding Titanic, didn't like the movie all that much (aside from CGI and action)...I just like to refer to it frequently because it's the epitome of disaster in so many forms...and the Titanic similes and metaphors just seem to fit, ahem, to borrow one of your favs, "modern football" in so many ways...
                      The Hindenburg was an ultimate fail as well.
                      Let's build an 800 foot long blimp and fill it with Hydrogen they said.
                      In 30 seconds it was a pile of ashes.

Comment

• Fleet 1
                        TPB Founder
                        • Jun 2013
                        • Kauai
                        • Send PM

Originally posted by Velo View Post

A friend sent this to from Dieppe today. The unveiling of the U.S. Army Ranger Memorial on the main landing beach. Dieppe was the first combat action by the U.S. Army Rangers. They had been formed just two months earlier. My dad was a U.S. citizen and was given the opportunity to switch to the U.S. Army and join the inaugural Ranger battalion. He was a sergeant and had undergone extensive commando training in the months before the Dieppe raid; he would've been a good fit. But he had been in the Canadian army for two years and didn't want to bail on his regiment and his men. So he remained with the Canadians.

300530248_10166698797175192_2996625154578241693_n.jpg?_nc_cat=106&ccb=1-7&_nc_sid=8bfeb9&_nc_ohc=XA-QRcbiDfwAX-sZZe4&_nc_ht=scontent.fsac1-1.fna&oh=00_AT-v2q4OaAMrf-QpEqYsGacVM3nwNySvlQ-XztAWv_g1pw&oe=6304C6CE.jpg
                        Man great stories to tell the kids. So many of have them. Just such a shining moment for our 2 countries. Everyone rallies together. Reuben H Fleet had loads of women working on airplanes while the men did the heavier lifting at war and other facets of the campaign. Thanks again man. This is good stuff.

Comment

• Hadl2Alworth
                          Registered Charger Fan
                          • Oct 2017
                          • Send PM

Originally posted by Boltdiehard View Post
                          Any other recent empty nesters here?
                          I feel for you bro. That would be REAL tough.

Comment

Working...
                          X