Clear All
  • Velo
    Ride!
    • Aug 2019
    • Everywhere
    • Leave the gun, take the cannolis
    • Send PM

Originally posted by Fouts2herbert View Post
    Wow, it’s 87 degrees tonight, the power is on but my AC unit is acting up, I think it just got overworked and overheated in the last 24 hours. I turned it off because it’s not cooling anymore. Hopefully it just needs a break…Normally I’m the only one up at this hour due to my insomnia but this has my wife and kids on edge…trying to keep everyone calm but not the easiest thing to do and facing tomorrow without AC sounds crazy…anyways hope everyone is staying safe with all these fires and the heat,,,
    I've been experimenting doing without AC, which is hard to believe here in Sacramento. I'm in a condo, and the way it's situated I don't get any direct sun during the hottest part of the day. I get all my direct sun in the morning when it's cool. It's working so far; if I manage it correctly it doesn't get above 75 degrees inside, even when it's triple digits outside. The key is to cool the place down in the morning. I get up early, open my windows and patio door, and have fans that draw the cool air inside while I'm out on my bike. When I return, I button it up (close all the windows), by 8 a.m. during this current heat wave. I have three stand fans going all the time during heat waves. My highest power bill this summer was for July - $61. I kid you not. I'm on a municipal utility district - SMUD - that is very well run with much cheaper rates than PG&E. This next week is going to be the hottest of the year. We'll see if it continues to work. I may have to give in and use the AC at some point.

Comment

• Hadl2Alworth
      Registered Charger Fan
      • Oct 2017
      • Send PM

Is anyone interested in more UFO related interviews? I have more interviews I could list but not sure anyone's reading them.

Comment

• FoutsFan
        Registered Charger Fan
        • Feb 2019
        • Birmingham AL
        • Send PM

Originally posted by Velo View Post
        I wrote this comment for the Punt God thread, but I think it's better suited here. The accusations against the Punt God triggered me.

On Halloween night 1966 my 14-year-old older sister was at McDonalds a few blocks from our house. She was walking home and a boy she knew from school pulled over and offered her a ride. She accepted and got in the car. There were two other boys in the car. Instead of taking her home they took her to an orchard and gang-raped her. They threatened to kill her if she told anybody. They dropped her off on our street early in the morning and she walked the rest of the way. When she came in my father was waiting up and demanded to know where she'd been. She broke down in tears and told him what had happened.

The boys were arrested. A few days later the girlfriends of two of the boys came to my sister's high school and started looking for her. They told everybody she was accusing their boyfriends of rape and they were going to beat her up. Soon everybody at her high school learned what happened to her Halloween night. She was humiliated and devastated tried to take her own life by swallowing some sleeping pills, but she survived. She went away to live with my aunt in the Bay Area. Two of the boys who had raped her were over 18 (the other was 17). They were tried, but they were acquitted, because my sister had gotten in the car with them. She was 14 and had never even kissed a boy. But back then, if you got in the car that was considered consent. They were convicted of contributing to the delinquency of a minor.

For many years afterward, into the early '80s, I harbored fantasies of tracking down these guys and exacting revenge. I was also angry at my father - a WWII commando and combat veteran - that he didn't avenge his daughter's honor. In the opening scenes of the Godfather, a man beseeches Vito Corleone to exact his revenge on a pair of youths who had beaten his daughter and were subsequently coddled by the legal system. I was an impressionable youth and I thought that is how these things were done. The scene where the Godfather's goombas beat the boys to within an inch of their lives is my favorite scene of the entire movie.

My sis got her life back under control. The next summer she spent weeks at a youth camp in the High Sierra. It helped restore her. She loved it so much she became a counselor at the camp in subsequent summers. The camp still exists - Camp Jack Hazard. After graduating HS she got a job in Yosemite at Curry Village. After a few years she started working seasonally in Yosemite for the Park Service as a toll taker at campgrounds, while she got her college degree. After graduating from college, she made a career of the National Park Service. In the late '80s and early '90s she worked in Yellowstone. She and her husband bought 20 acres outside of Bozeman, MT in 1990. They retired a few years ago and built a house and horse property on their property, and that his where my sis lives today with her husband, dogs and horses. She turned 70 three weeks ago, and she is still active competing at equestrian events around Montana and the West.

I don't know how life turned out for the boys who raped her. I forgot their names decades ago.
        I am sorry to hear that happened to your sister. If I read it right it sounds like later on in her life she seemed to move on and maybe forgive the boys that did this evil act, as well as you state you forgave your father. With all the wrongs we endure in our lives true forgiveness is the best healing for our own mind, body and souls. The trauma from something like that has the potential to destroy us in a way that can be as bad or worse that the original sin. Forgiveness helps us move on and have a much better life, like how you described with your sister.

I am glad it sounds like she has had a good life since that time.

Comment

• Boltgang74
          We Are The Storm!
          • Aug 2018
          • Send PM

I've been experimenting doing without AC, which is hard to believe here in Sacramento. I'm in a condo, and the way it's situated I don't get any direct sun during the hottest part of the day. I get all my direct sun in the morning when it's cool. It's working so far; if I manage it correctly it doesn't get above 75 degrees inside, even when it's triple digits outside. The key is to cool the place down in the morning. I get up early, open my windows and patio door, and have fans that draw the cool air inside while I'm out on my bike. When I return, I button it up (close all the windows), by 8 a.m. during this current heat wave. I have three stand fans going all the time during heat waves. My highest power bill this summer was for July - $61. I kid you not. I'm on a municipal utility district - SMUD - that is very well run with much cheaper rates than PG&E. This next week is going to be the hottest of the year. We'll see if it continues to work. I may have to give in and use the AC at some point.
          I just paid $581 last month for PG&E here in Amador Co. in an Apt. no less.Having 3 ladies here with me aint easy lol.I grew up with zero ac so roughin it aint a big deal but my 3 housemates (wife and 2 daughters) really aint about that life.Power ever goes down their liable to melt.

Comment

• richpjr
            Registered Charger Fan
            • Jun 2013
            • Nashville
            • Send PM

Originally posted by Boltgang74 View Post

I just paid $581 last month for PG&E here in Amador Co. in an Apt. no less.Having 3 ladies here with me aint easy lol.I grew up with zero ac so roughin it aint a big deal but my 3 housemates (wife and 2 daughters) really aint about that life.Power ever goes down their liable to melt.
            I had a 3300 sq ft home in Temecula, CA where it gets really hot in the summer and you must run the AC all the time. I paid about $450 a month during the the June through September timeframe (and this as with a new energy efficient HVAC unit). I have no idea how much it went up this summer, but I suspect a lot. I moved to Nashville last fall and bought a 4000 sq ft home and it is pretty hot and humid during the summer here as well. The only difference is my bill is in the high $200s now. That and the $3.09 gas I paid today are a pretty stark contrast to what you pay in SoCal.

Comment

• Boltnut
              Registered Charger Fan
              • Feb 2019
              • Send PM

It was over 100 yesterday in La Mesa. We ran 2 window AC units non-stop. Luckily we have solar and our bills are anywhere between $60-100 a month. We've leased the system for the last 6 or 7 years. Today was hot and humid. Had to go to the beach and jump in the ocean to cool down.

Comment

• Velo
                Ride!
                • Aug 2019
                • Everywhere
                • Send PM

$581 is freakin' insane. PG&E is out of control. The California Public Utilities Commission lets them get away with this piracy. In my early childhood we didn't have AC in our house. We got our first wall-mounted AC circa 1962, when I was five years old. I think our house was built circa 1950. It was in the Sam Joaquin Valley, where triple digit temps in the summer were common. Most houses didn't have AC back then. But I did mostly grow up with AC in our house. I remember the workmen coming over and cutting a huge hole in our living room wall from the outside. The wall unit was on one end of the house. I don't know how it kept the far end of the house cool, that is where my parents' bedroom was. But I don't remember the heat bothering me much when I was young. We would go outside and play every day in the summer. I don't know if you remember the slip and slide? It was a sheet of plastic or vinyl that you could attach a hose to and make a water slide on your lawn. I also rode my bike all over in the summer. The heat didn't bother me. I was rail skinny though. My first cars when I became old enough to drive didn't have AC. I had a couple '66 Mustangs and a '66 MGB and a '64 Triumph TR4. I used to drive with the top down all the time with no AC, the hot air blasting me in the face. My first car with AC was a '69 Mustang that I bought circa 1974 with my mom's help.

My place is situated so that I don't get direct sun in the afternoon. I only get it in the morning. As long as I cool down the house in the morning - which I'm doing right now - I can last through the day, if I shut my windows at right time before it becomes too warm. One reason I live in Sacramento is because of SMUD - Sacramento Municipal Utilities District - a publicly owned utility that is very well run and has much lower rates than PG&E.

I didn't know you were in Amador Co. Do you live in Jackson? I was editor of the newspaper - the Ledger-Dispatch - about 20 years ago when it was actually a newspaper and had a staff.

Comment

• Boltgang74
                  We Are The Storm!
                  • Aug 2018
                  • Send PM

$581 is freakin' insane. PG&E is out of control. The California Public Utilities Commission lets them get away with this piracy. In my early childhood we didn't have AC in our house. We got our first wall-mounted AC circa 1962, when I was five years old. I think our house was built circa 1950. It was in the Sam Joaquin Valley, where triple digit temps in the summer were common. Most houses didn't have AC back then. But I did mostly grow up with AC in our house. I remember the workmen coming over and cutting a huge hole in our living room wall from the outside. The wall unit was on one end of the house. I don't know how it kept the far end of the house cool, that is where my parents' bedroom was. But I don't remember the heat bothering me much when I was young. We would go outside and play every day in the summer. I don't know if you remember the slip and slide? It was a sheet of plastic or vinyl that you could attach a hose to and make a water slide on your lawn. I also rode my bike all over in the summer. The heat didn't bother me. I was rail skinny though. My first cars when I became old enough to drive didn't have AC. I had a couple '66 Mustangs and a '66 MGB and a '64 Triumph TR4. I used to drive with the top down all the time with no AC, the hot air blasting me in the face. My first car with AC was a '69 Mustang that I bought circa 1974 with my mom's help.

My place is situated so that I don't get direct sun in the afternoon. I only get it in the morning. As long as I cool down the house in the morning - which I'm doing right now - I can last through the day, if I shut my windows at right time before it becomes too warm. One reason I live in Sacramento is because of SMUD - Sacramento Municipal Utilities District - a publicly owned utility that is very well run and has much lower rates than PG&E.

I didn't know you were in Amador Co. Do you live in Jackson? I was editor of the newspaper - the Ledger-Dispatch - about 20 years ago when it was actually a newspaper and had a staff.
                  I live in Sutter Creek.Thats wild you worked for the Ledger Dispatch lol.Ive lived here for about 29 years now.My parents moved my up here from LA when I was still a teen.Hated it then,love it now even though I've been looking at getting out of CA since it has become insane here.

Comment

• Velo
                    Ride!
                    • Aug 2019
                    • Everywhere
                    • Send PM

I live in Sutter Creek.Thats wild you worked for the Ledger Dispatch lol.Ive lived here for about 29 years now.My parents moved my up here from LA when I was still a teen.Hated it then,love it now even though I've been looking at getting out of CA since it has become insane here.
                    Sutter Creek is one of my favorite Mother Lode towns. When I lived up there, there was no Hwy 49 bypass around Sutter Creek. You had to drive through town.

Comment

• Boltjolt
                      Dont let the PBs fool ya
                      • Jun 2013
                      • Henderson, NV
                      • Send PM

Run our AC all day & night, everyday in summer, turning off here and there when it hits its temp we have it at and last bill was $270, month before that, it was $200. Guessing this month it will be same as last since its been so hot.
                      Gas stil sucks, mid $4's

Comment

• Xenos
                        Registered Charger Fan
                        • Feb 2019
                        • Send PM

I wrote this comment for the Punt God thread, but I think it's better suited here. The accusations against the Punt God triggered me.

On Halloween night 1966 my 14-year-old older sister was at McDonalds a few blocks from our house. She was walking home and a boy she knew from school pulled over and offered her a ride. She accepted and got in the car. There were two other boys in the car. Instead of taking her home they took her to an orchard and gang-raped her. They threatened to kill her if she told anybody. They dropped her off on our street early in the morning and she walked the rest of the way. When she came in my father was waiting up and demanded to know where she'd been. She broke down in tears and told him what had happened.

The boys were arrested. A few days later the girlfriends of two of the boys came to my sister's high school and started looking for her. They told everybody she was accusing their boyfriends of rape and they were going to beat her up. Soon everybody at her high school learned what happened to her Halloween night. She was humiliated and devastated tried to take her own life by swallowing some sleeping pills, but she survived. She went away to live with my aunt in the Bay Area. Two of the boys who had raped her were over 18 (the other was 17). They were tried, but they were acquitted, because my sister had gotten in the car with them. She was 14 and had never even kissed a boy. But back then, if you got in the car that was considered consent. They were convicted of contributing to the delinquency of a minor.

For many years afterward, into the early '80s, I harbored fantasies of tracking down these guys and exacting revenge. I was also angry at my father - a WWII commando and combat veteran - that he didn't avenge his daughter's honor. In the opening scenes of the Godfather, a man beseeches Vito Corleone to exact his revenge on a pair of youths who had beaten his daughter and were subsequently coddled by the legal system. I was an impressionable youth and I thought that is how these things were done. The scene where the Godfather's goombas beat the boys to within an inch of their lives is my favorite scene of the entire movie.

My sis got her life back under control. The next summer she spent weeks at a youth camp in the High Sierra. It helped restore her. She loved it so much she became a counselor at the camp in subsequent summers. The camp still exists - Camp Jack Hazard. After graduating HS she got a job in Yosemite at Curry Village. After a few years she started working seasonally in Yosemite for the Park Service as a toll taker at campgrounds, while she got her college degree. After graduating from college, she made a career of the National Park Service. In the late '80s and early '90s she worked in Yellowstone. She and her husband bought 20 acres outside of Bozeman, MT in 1990. They retired a few years ago and built a house and horse property on their property, and that his where my sis lives today with her husband, dogs and horses. She turned 70 three weeks ago, and she is still active competing at equestrian events around Montana and the West.

I don't know how life turned out for the boys who raped her. I forgot their names decades ago.
                        Even though we argue and disagree about football stuff on this forum, I just want say how much I appreciate you. I’m sorry that you guys had to endure so much but I’m glad there seems to be a light at the end of tunnel for you all especially your sister.

Comment

• Boltdiehard
                          The Precious
                          • May 2019
                          • Send PM

It’s almost 100 here in Alameda and most people here do not have ac in these old gold rush homes and 70s apartments. BTW WTF was going on with the 70s architecture bunch ugly ass boxes not much different than the high density garbage they’re building today. We get hot for at most three days and then our natural air conditioner kicks in every morning with the fog and overcast until around noon. The beaches in Alameda are packed.

Velo the PUC are either ex PG&E employees/executives or future employees/executives the graft nepotism and general corruption is beyond repair and would actually require some leadership to address. If it ever does break it will be glorious to watch. opcorn:

Comment

Working...
                          X