Welcome Zion Johnson, OG, Boston College (R1, #17)

Collapse
X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • cmplxgal
    Registered Charger Fan
    • Jul 2017
    • New Jersey
    • Send PM

Originally posted by WindsorUK View Post
    Not to mention Ekeler, Everett, Parham, McKitty and Anderson( when they bring him back)

I thought they'd bring back Anderson but he signed with the Cardinals on April 4.

Comment

• Topcat
      AKA "Pollcat"
      • Jan 2019
      • Send PM

Originally posted by Xenos View Post
      The Chargers did not draft an offensive lineman in the first round for eight straight seasons from 2013 to 2020.

Then Staley arrived.
      ^ This...terrible drafting during those years...

Comment

• Velo
        Ride!
        • Aug 2019
        • Everywhere
        • Leave the gun, take the cannolis
        • Send PM

Popper’s article on Zion:
        The Chargers went from 2013 to 2020 without drafting a first-round offensive lineman. Now they've taken one two drafts in a row.

The Chargers did not draft an offensive lineman in the first round for eight straight seasons from 2013 to 2020.
        This is not correct. Telesco's very first 1st round pick in 2013 was an OL.

Comment

• Bolt4Knob
          Registered Charger Fan
          • Dec 2019
          • Send PM

Originally posted by Topcat View Post

^ This...terrible drafting during those years...
          The combinations of VisorMcCoy/Telesco or Lynn/Telesco - not the best
          STaley really has an imprint on the roster - he knows what the hell he wants

Comment

• ChargersPowderBlue
            Registered Charger Fan
            • Aug 2019
            • Send PM

Only took him seven years to get the job done lol. But no, TT’s FA and draft pickups in OL just never really worked out for very long for Rivers. Three years of quality OL play in 2013, 2017, and maybe 2018.
            The HCs and scouts have a part in how TT was doing too. Lynn and Mccoy just couldn't get the job done to elevate the organization. They didn't know what they were doing most of the time. We're seeing what a big difference that is now with Staley.

So many awful OL players during Rivers' time. Orlando Franklin was such a bust signing. Not to mention many others.

Originally posted by Steve View Post
            Many NFL teams only carry 8 OL, unless their LS is a backup OL, so if Zion can't play left/right, then that is a problem. We might have to shuffle the whole line sometime, and he may HAVE to play out of a right-handed stance.
            Teams who are confident about their OL will carry 7. In the days of Norv he carried 7 OL. Though that was back when the league had the third QB rule, and the active gameday roster was 45 instead of 46.

Comment

• Lone Bolt
              Oline-Tip of the Spear...
              • Feb 2019
              • McLean Illinois
              • Pipefitter Illinois State University
              • Send PM

Originally posted by Fouts2herbert View Post

Take a bow, you got your guy!
              Right back at ya!:thumbsup:
              Adopted Bolt: Kimani Vidal RB

Final prediction: Latham OT, Colson LB, Sainristil CB,Rice WR, Zinter OG, Nourzad OC, MacLachlan TE, Vidal RB, Lovett DT

Comment

• Geezbolt
                Registered Charger Fan
                • Jun 2013
                • Sun Valley, ID
                • Send PM

Originally posted by beachcomber View Post

OG Walt Sweeney 1963 second overall.... I know coz he was my case in point why we shoulda drafted Ramcyzk @7 overall,
                Something in the back of my mind remembered Sweeney being moved to guard, and not drafted as one, even though that may have been Sid Gillman's intention all along. So I did a little research, and the 1996 Chargers Media Guide I have listed his position as "End" from the 1963 Draft. I also went back and looked at his stats from Syracuse. They listed him as a WR of all things, and he even had a few receptions. Here's the link: https://www.sports-reference.com/cfb...sweeney-1.html
                I remember him being a great guard, but what I remember most was he was a special teams beast in his rookie year and almost always made the tackle on kickoffs. He had a cult following among fans and Balboa Stadium would erupt when he would make the tackle.

Comment

• WindsorUK
                  Registered Charger Fan
                  • Jul 2013
                  • Windsor, U.K.
                  • Send PM

Originally posted by cmplxgal View Post

I thought they'd bring back Anderson but he signed with the Cardinals on April 4.
                  BOO!

Comment

• Formula 21
                    The Future is Now
                    • Jun 2013
                    • Republic of San Diego
                    • Send PM

Remember when Jerrah was upset when we took Joey Bosa in front of him? Well I’ll bet Belicheat punched himself in the nuts when we took Zion.
                    Now, if you excuse me, I have some Charger memories to suppress.
                    The Wasted Decade is done.
                    Build Back Better.

Comment

• Hadl2Alworth
                      Registered Charger Fan
                      • Oct 2017
                      • Send PM

Originally posted by WindsorUK View Post

BOO!
                      I agree.

Comment

• AK47
                        Registered Charger Fan
                        • May 2019
                        • Send PM

Originally posted by Lone Bolt View Post
                        Still pinching myself this morning...KG and Zion 2 of my favorite prospects, but how do you stump for boring old Guards on this forum? Still, I see few complaints, and that is awesome. By the way...love TT's opening response in the presser, which is definitely going in my post draft sig...."Guards are people too...":rofl:
                        Looking at this draft's results I'm convinced the Chargers would've drafted Green first before Zion and the Patriots would've drafted Zion but settled for Strange.

Comment

• WindsorUK
                          Registered Charger Fan
                          • Jul 2013
                          • Windsor, U.K.
                          • Send PM

Originally posted by Formula 21 View Post
                          Remember when Jerrah was upset when we took Joey Bosa in front of him? Well I’ll bet Belicheat punched himself in the nuts when we took Zion.
                          How's the gelato?

Comment

Working...
                          X