• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Lefty2SLO
    Moderate Skeptic
    • May 2022
    • Send PM

Originally posted by Heatmiser View Post
    Woods is not the kind of safety who is going to fill the box or light you up for catching a pass over the middle. He aint' Rodney Harrison. I don't know if that kind of safety is still effective in the NFL now, to be honest. Woods is the kind of safety who can actually cover and will take away parts of the field so those big hits dont need to be made. And look at it this way, it cuts down on the personal foul calls.

TG
    Rodney Harrison would have a hard time finding playing time in todays league. I'm hopeful that Woods can help us this year but he's going to have to be very very smart and pick things up quickly to have an impact.

Comment

• Lefty2SLO
      Moderate Skeptic
      • May 2022
      • Send PM

Originally posted by Lefty2SLO View Post

Rodney Harrison would have a hard time finding playing time in todays league. I'm hopeful that Woods can help us this year but he's going to have to be very very smart and pick things up quickly to have an impact.
      I should say that Rodney would have a hard time (now) as a safety. He'd probably be great as a modern linebacker!

Comment

• blueman
        Registered Charger Fan
        • Jun 2013
        • Send PM

Originally posted by electricgold View Post
        And so it begins. We need to have a 10 plus sack season from both Khalil Mack & Bosa with solid CB play all while Derwin is flying around making plays. If this happens like it could and should our D is going to be NICE!!!!
        Man, every division game is gonna be a battle. We will have to be a scoring machine even if our D is massively improved.

Comment

• dmac_bolt
          Day Tripper
          • May 2019
          • North of the Lagoon
          • Send PM

Originally posted by Lefty2SLO View Post

I don’t think Rodney could cover modern TEs. he’d basically be a light LB … and i read here that LBs are like dinosaurs.

JT doesn’t have to lay lumbar because that won’t be his role. But he will need to be able to tackle. Every defender needs to be able to tackle
          “Less is more? NO NO NO - MORE is MORE!”

Comment

• powderblueboy
            Registered Charger Fan
            • Jul 2017
            • Send PM

Originally posted by Ghost of Quacksaw View Post

I think it's pretty well established that he has the athletic ability and mental fortitude to succeed. You've faced tons of quality competition if you played in the SEC, not to mention the National Champions. It's a question of whether his limitations can be masked at Guard. He lacks the elite quickness that separates the men from the boys at tackle, and his height is not ideal for tackle. The tools he *does* possess look very well suited to guard, and I guess we're about to find out just HOW well.
            This is why he should succeed inside:

Bellyup sports
            Apr 10, 2022 — Football IQ – Unsurprisingly, as most players coming from Georgia are, Salyer is a very cerebral player, and diagnoses the game at a pro level.

Wolfsports
            Apr 20, 2022 — Strengths. Very stout build. Extremely versatile with experience at all five spots on the offensive line. Very high awareness and intelligence.

Smart, experienced, strong, built like a cinder block, long arms for a guard, athletic enough to play tackle: guys like that excel in the NFL, unless McLynn is your head coach

Comment

• Bolts4ever213
              Day One...
              • Mar 2019
              • Brentwood, 94513
              • Send PM

It’s funny when I read about how light Woods is, I mean, he’s still a kid.

When I joined the Army, I weighed 137. Two years later, I was 180.

The only thing I want from Woods is to cover the deep half of the field well. Allowing James to play up.

Comment

• sonorajim
                Registered Charger Fan
                • Jan 2019
                • Send PM

Originally posted by blueman View Post

Man, every division game is gonna be a battle. We will have to be a scoring machine even if our D is massively improved.
                2021:LAC 165 vs AFCW opponents 148 (3-3)

2022: The Chargers are massively improved in D talent & depth.
                Offense : yr 2 in Lombardi's O, decent RB2, TE1, R-side OL upgrade, OL depth
                We are better. They will need to be to compete with LAC.

Comment

• chargeroo
                  Fan since 1961
                  • Jan 2019
                  • Oregon
                  • Retired Manager/Pastor
                  • Send PM

Originally posted by sonorajim View Post

2021:LAC 165 vs AFCW opponents 148 (3-3)

2022: The Chargers are massively improved in D talent & depth.
                  Offense : yr 2 in Lombardi's O, decent RB2, TE1, R-side OL upgrade, OL depth
                  We are better. They will need to be to compete with LAC.
                  I remember teams in the past that signed a handful of free agents but never did improve. That's where the coaching staff comes in - these players need to come together and play as a team, not as individuals, and that's where teams have failed in the past. I'm convinced we have a good group of players, Now I want to see how they function as a team.
                  THE YEAR OF THE FLIP!

Comment

• Heatmiser
                    HarbaughHarrisonHeatMiser
                    • Jun 2013
                    • Send PM

RIght on Roo. In training camp, I thought the Chargers had a ton of holes on the roster during their Super Bowl season and they did. But Ross got the most out of them and proved the sum is more than the parts.

TG
                    Like, how am I a traitor? Your team are traitors.

Comment

• Ghost of Quacksaw
                      Beef Before Gazelles
                      • May 2021
                      • Send PM

Originally posted by chargeroo View Post

I remember teams in the past that signed a handful of free agents but never did improve. That's where the coaching staff comes in - these players need to come together and play as a team, not as individuals, and that's where teams have failed in the past. I'm convinced we have a good group of players, Now I want to see how they function as a team.
                      A variety of factors, for certain.

(1) coaching

(2) the players, themselves

(3) Scheme fit.

Get players who do certain things well, and then play them in such a way that *those things* are what they get to do.

We have no need for a scheme that calls for Joey Bosa to drop into coverage, for instance. Let the man do what he does best... which has nothing to do with covering anybody downfield.

Comment

• Ghost of Quacksaw
                        Beef Before Gazelles
                        • May 2021
                        • Send PM

Originally posted by chargeroo View Post

I remember teams in the past that signed a handful of free agents but never did improve. .
                        LOL

Many of those teams were the Chargers.

Comment

• Ghost of Quacksaw
                          Beef Before Gazelles
                          • May 2021
                          • Send PM

Originally posted by powderblueboy View Post

This is why he should succeed inside:

Bellyup sports
                          Apr 10, 2022 — Football IQ – Unsurprisingly, as most players coming from Georgia are, Salyer is a very cerebral player, and diagnoses the game at a pro level.

Wolfsports
                          Apr 20, 2022 — Strengths. Very stout build. Extremely versatile with experience at all five spots on the offensive line. Very high awareness and intelligence.

Smart, experienced, strong, built like a cinder block, long arms for a guard, athletic enough to play tackle: guys like that excel in the NFL, unless McLynn is your head coach
                          In terms of size/shape/appearance, Salyer reminds me of longtime Dallas Cowboy G Nate Newton. (He of the many marijuana trafficking arrests.)

Comment

Working...
                          X