• Send PM

Originally posted by Boltnut View Post
    Anybody have Oday Aboushi's number?

LT: Slater
    LG: Zion (where he should be)
    OC: Linsley
    RG: Aboushi
    RT: Feiler (where he should be)
    I feel like I’ve been talking about this for so long that I just can’t get up for making the argument anymore, the coaches (or the front office) have decided to handicap herbert and the offense for some fuggin reason by not giving him the best combination of available offensive line players. I don’t get it and I’m past frustrated talking about it, pipkins and norton are nothing more than back-ups and back-ups with no upside, both of those guys are tapped out to their max which is not good enough to play for some college teams let alone in the NFL…

Re-signing aboushi would mean you still keep your depth in the interior so I would be all for that, I’m not sold on Jaimes either, he’s a better quality back-up at guard than pipkins or norton are at tackle, but that’s not saying much…

"The author assumes no responsibility or liability for any errors or omissions in the content of this post. The information contained in this post is provided on an "as is" basis with no guarantees of completeness, accuracy, usefulness or timeliness..."​​

Comment

• dmac_bolt
      Day Tripper
      • May 2019
      • North of the Lagoon
      • Send PM

Originally posted by Fouts2herbert View Post

I feel like I’ve been talking about this for so long that I just can’t get up for making the argument anymore, the coaches (or the front office) have decided to handicap herbert and the offense for some fuggin reason by not giving him the best combination of available offensive line players. I don’t get it and I’m past frustrated talking about it, pipkins and norton are nothing more than back-ups and back-ups with no upside, both of those guys are tapped out to their max which is not good enough to play for some college teams let alone in the NFL…

Re-signing aboushi would mean you still keep your depth in the interior so I would be all for that, I’m not sold on Jaimes either, he’s a better quality back-up at guard than pipkins or norton are at tackle, but that’s not saying much…
      Maybe the Coaches that are working with him day in and day out know that Salyer is not quite ready to be quite as good against starting NFL players as this forum armchair GM club thinks he is. I am not overly comforted by the Pip vs Nort press, its not like I’m not with the GM cabal in some level of concern.

but my concern is limited - its not end of world catastrophe, its a coaching strategery challenge like every NFL team has position groups our spots that they must plan for due to challenge. and who knows - maybe it was just a bad first day for the OL and this is typical and our DL did the same to their OL?. I did NOT see the similar blow by blow listing of our DL vs their OL - yet.
      “Less is more? NO NO NO - MORE is MORE!”

Comment

• Boltinloudguy
        Registered Charger Fan
        • Nov 2021
        • Send PM

Well, Daryl Williams is still available for RT competition if it keeps headed in the wrong direction.

Comment

• 21&500
          Bolt Spit-Baller
          • Sep 2018
          • A Whale's Vajayjay
          • CMB refugee
          • Send PM

I'm not, "worried" but I get Fleet's frustration.

If RT is still a problem in 2022, then the arrogance from which we failed to address our most glaring hole is inexcusable.

Morgan Moses was my plan, not a perfect plan, but it would have addressed RT at a reasonable price.

The talk was about Pipkins improving and/or Feiler being an ace up our sleeve.
          whatever we do, it better not be a liability all season for Herbert to deal with.

Staley needs to prove himself and these offseason moves can logically be attributed to his advocacy, so they better result in a winning record/playoffs. No excuses outside of a Herbert injury. Knock on wood.
          P1. Block Destruction - Ogbonnia
          P2. Shocking Effort - Eboigbe
          P3. Ball Disruption - Ford
          P4. Obnoxious Communication - Henley

Comment

• dmac_bolt
            Day Tripper
            • May 2019
            • North of the Lagoon
            • Send PM

Originally posted by 21&500 View Post

If RT is still a problem in 2022, then the arrogance from which we failed to address our most glaring hole is inexcusable.

Morgan Moses was my plan, not a perfect plan, but it would have addressed RT at a reasonable price.

whatever we do, it better not be a liability all season for Herbert to deal with.

Staley needs to prove himself and these offseason moves can logically be attributed to his advocacy, so they better result in a winning record/playoffs. No excuses outside of a Herbert injury. Knock on wood.
            RT wasn’t our most glaring hole. Our most glaring hole was a defense that was last in the league in 3rd down, bottom X in scoring allowed, bottom X in rush D, … etc etc - we’ve all seen the stats ad nauseam. The unrelenting arrogance of portions of this forum to continue to berate the fine LAC staff that this was the most glaring hole when it clearly, empirically and emphatically was not the biggest contributor to losses is inexcusable given all of the data and information so widely published and comment on for now the last 7 months.

RT was the biggest hole on a Top 5 offense, or tied for worst. RG was just as bad as RT imo, how Scho continues to go uncriticized still baffles me. He was horrible and idgaf what PFFFT says, they are a laugh. The FO stretched far and wide to close as many holes as they could in the off season - and in the draft there wasn’t a compelling elite RT that was a better pick than Zion imo at our slot.

Now every bleats Salyer should be starting LG - yet nobody has ever seen him play against starting NFL defenders. Just cuz … with confidence … thats the TPB GM way.

The TPB GMs really need to prove themselves this year … their record of mistakes and errors is lengthy, not sure how much longer the owners can tolerate such poor performance.
            “Less is more? NO NO NO - MORE is MORE!”

Comment

• TexanBeerlover
              Registered Charger Fan
              • Feb 2021
              • Send PM

Originally posted by dmac_bolt View Post

RT wasn’t our most glaring hole. Our most glaring hole was a defense that was last in the league in 3rd down, bottom X in scoring allowed, bottom X in rush D, … etc etc - we’ve all seen the stats ad nauseam. The unrelenting arrogance of portions of this forum to continue to berate the fine LAC staff that this was the most glaring hole when it clearly, empirically and emphatically was not the biggest contributor to losses is inexcusable given all of the data and information so widely published and comment on for now the last 7 months.

RT was the biggest hole on a Top 5 offense, or tied for worst. RG was just as bad as RT imo, how Scho continues to go uncriticized still baffles me. He was horrible and idgaf what PFFFT says, they are a laugh. The FO stretched far and wide to close as many holes as they could in the off season - and in the draft there wasn’t a compelling elite RT that was a better pick than Zion imo at our slot.

Now every bleats Salyer should be starting LG - yet nobody has ever seen him play against starting NFL defenders. Just cuz … with confidence … thats the TPB GM way.

The TPB GMs really need to prove themselves this year … their record of mistakes and errors is lengthy, not sure how much longer the owners can tolerate such poor performance.
              Specifically, yes RT was biggest hole/need to improve. One position above all others. Defensive hole’S where systematic as a group of positions/players who needed updgrade’S across the line & secondary.

Saints reached for one. The Cowboys reached for one. Chargers stood their ground, trusted evaluation and went best player available @ position of need RG, which can only help the RT.

Comment

• Shock&Awe
                Great White North
                • Mar 2019
                • Send PM

I have a hard believing the coaches and FO are content with letting the RT job play out and go with whoever sucked least in camp/preseason. I wouldn’t be surprised to see them bring in someone before the season after the final roster cutdowns, so I wouldn’t hit the panic button just yet.

Comment

• jamrock
                  lawyers, guns and money
                  • Sep 2017
                  • Send PM

Originally posted by 21&500 View Post

it wasn’t just RT. Popper says the Chargers would have given up 8 sacks against the Cowboys. And that’s just in 11-11 drills. 8 sacks. The whole line was leaky.

Comment

• UtahBolt
                    Did we win?
                    • Jun 2013
                    • I'll ride the wave...where it takes me.
                    • Send PM

Originally posted by Boltjolt View Post

This place seems to over hype Salyer and Horvath.
                    Right? Lower round picks for a reason. Thought both looked sluggish for their positions in the first PS game.
                    I'll ride the wave...where it takes me.

Comment

• Heatmiser
                      BetterToday ThanYesterday
                      • Jun 2013
                      • Send PM

If you listen to Ekeler, he says that they did not prepare for stunts, games, etc the Cowboys ran. They couldn't. So I don't look at the 8 simulated sacks as indictments on individual players but rather the cohesion of the line, passing guys off, scheming, etc. It was a great learning experience and this is a scrimmage. Very valuable for Zion. Ekeler also said that because this is a scrimmage, guys like him are not going to go low on protection so he got buried and pushed around by pass rushers.

I think any RT doing one-on-ones with Parsons is pretty challenging. I trust Popper's eyes and reports and it sounded like all the linemen had some struggles, even board favorite Salyer. I am sure whoever went up on one-ones with Bosa or Mack lost and struggled, too.

Bottom line is I would not over react to this. The preseason game against the Rams the OL looked pretty decent. Let's see how they look (ableit all 2-3 stringers) on Saturday night in a game.

TG
                      Like, how am I a traitor? Your team are traitors.

Comment

• Topcat
                        AKA "Pollcat"
                        • Jan 2019
                        • Send PM

Originally posted by Boltnut View Post

I'm not saying they will... but they should. I'd like to know how his re-hab went. Is this an injury issue or is this a we-drafted-another-guy issue...?
                        I would say it's telling that he hasn't been signed by another team yet. Why? Is he still re-habbing?

Comment

• Topcat
                          AKA "Pollcat"
                          • Jan 2019
                          • Send PM

Originally posted by Boltjolt View Post

This place seems to over hype Salyer and Horvath.
                          You call it hype, I call it HOPE...we're HOPING...hoping that Salyer, Horvath, Sarell...hoping for SOMEBODY in the lower rounds emerges into a serviceable starter...Pip, Storm, Kelley, Rountree, Tillery have all had their shot...maybe one or more of them suddenly blossoms...in the meantime, I'm pulling for the cream to rise to the top...and that cream may come from an unexpected source...

Comment

Working...
                          X