• Show
Clear All
  • dmac_bolt
    Day Tripper
    • May 2019
    • North of the Lagoon
    • Send PM

Originally posted by JOJAX85 View Post

I think that's the organization's X. Derwin's camp is probably looking for more like 50 guaranteed. That's the quandary.
    $20M guaranteed is insultingly low for 4 years. Star players don’t sign for 25% guarantee ever. Club can’t be that low. Joey’s contract was $135M, $102M guaranteed. Accepting that S has less value than Edge, DJ knows his value exceeds the simple moniker “Safety”. We all know that he means more than that.

Pay him and move on.
    “Less is more? NO NO NO - MORE is MORE!”

Comment

• jamrock
      lawyers, guns and money
      • Sep 2017
      • Send PM

Originally posted by dmac_bolt View Post

$20M guaranteed is insultingly low for 4 years. Star players don’t sign for 25% guarantee ever. Club can’t be that low. Joey’s contract was $135M, $102M guaranteed. Accepting that S has less value than Edge, DJ knows his value exceeds the simple moniker “Safety”. We all know that he means more than that.

Pay him and move on.
      I suspect we’re having the same argument on TPB that Derwin’s agent and TT are having. TT, we’ll make him the highest paid safety in the history of the NFL. Derwin’s agent, he’s more than a safety. Do better

Comment

• Formula 21
        The Future is Now
        • Jun 2013
        • Republic of San Diego
        • Send PM

At this point, I believe someone is being unreasonable. I don’t think it’s about money because everybody knows the range he should be in. So it must be about injury language. And if you penalize a player for injuries, do they cut back on their physicality to protect themselves?
        Now, if you excuse me, I have some Charger memories to suppress.
        The Wasted Decade is done.
        Build Back Better.

Comment

• dmac_bolt
          Day Tripper
          • May 2019
          • North of the Lagoon
          • Send PM

Originally posted by Formula 21 View Post
          At this point, I believe someone is being unreasonable. I don’t think it’s about money because everybody knows the range he should be in. So it must be about injury language. And if you penalize a player for injuries, do they cut back on their physicality to protect themselves?
          DJ proved last year he’s not glass. Thats the bar imo, its not that high. The full year he missed was a fluke injury by his own teammate.
          Injury is random - cannot run a team based on fear of injury and incentivize players to pull up short. He should be getting 4/$80/$50 guaranteed. Its less than half Joey’s guarantee.

Don’t sweat it, TT - Inflation will make that future money worth $20M in today-dollars by 2024

Comment

• JOJAX85
            Registered Charger Fan
            • Sep 2018
            • Irmo, SC
            • Send PM

He may be wanting a Kirk Cousins fully guaranteed contract. Absolutely I want to keep him, but if that is indeed the case I can understand the organization being reluctant to do that.

Comment

• JupiterBolt
              ~ Charger Fan ~
              • Sep 2018
              • Jupiter, FL
              • Send PM

I love seeing his enthusiasm and leadership during the Hold In.

Comment

• Xenos
                • Feb 2019
                • Send PM

Originally posted by wu-dai clan View Post

wu got a "D" in Calculus.
                That’s algebra lol

Comment

• Heatmiser
                  HarbaughHarrisonHeatMiser
                  • Jun 2013
                  • Send PM

Originally posted by Formula 21 View Post
                  We just don't know what the hold up is. We don't. It could be the agent wants him to be the highest paid player on the team regardless of position because Staley continually says he is the best player on the team. It could be he wants 3 years and they want 5. Or it could be some wierd clause. Who knows?

The good thing is James wants to be here. The Chargers want him to be here. He is in camp doing what he needs to do other than running into people. This will get done when it gets done.

TG
                  Like, how am I a traitor? Your team are traitors.

Comment

• richpjr
                    Registered Charger Fan
                    • Jun 2013
                    • Nashville
                    • Send PM

DJ proved last year he’s not glass. Thats the bar imo, its not that high. The full year he missed was a fluke injury by his own teammate.
                    Injury is random - cannot run a team based on fear of injury and incentivize players to pull up short. He should be getting 4/$80/$50 guaranteed. Its less than half Joey’s guarantee.

Don’t sweat it, TT - Inflation will make that future money worth $20M in today-dollars by 2024
                    I want and believe James will be resigned, but he require offseason surgery so the injury concerns are very real. He has played in all 16 games just once in 4 years and in 36 of a possible 64 games overall.

Comment

Pay him and move on.
                      I agree. There is no reason at all not have the guaranteed money match at least the first two years of salary/bonus, which should be at least in the $35-40M range. If the team does not franchise tag Herbert in 2025 or enter into a new contact with him before then, it seems like 2025 would be the first year that the team would have to deal with a huge salary for Herbert, which could impact upon the team's ability to keep one or more top end players such as James.

But we should be able to keep James at least in 2023 and 2024, so why not guarantee those years to get the guaranteed dollars in the right place of being slightly better than Fitzpatrick's deal, which is where the team should be on this? James would be respected, but the team would have the ability to move on after two years with reduced dead money (if the signing bonus is kept small as I have suggested).

Comment

• jubei
                        Vagabond Ninja
                        • Feb 2019
                        • Send PM

Originally posted by Bolt-O View Post

This is past history, and I think you made your point. Whats important is that Derwin not miss time to be in playing shape, regardless of his contract situation. This does have a small chance of blowing up, not for just Derwin, but can hurt Herbert's situation in the next big contract negotiation.
                        If it's going to impacet Justin's extension then who is more important to keep long-term? Rhetorical.

Comment

• dmac_bolt
                          Day Tripper
                          • May 2019
                          • North of the Lagoon
                          • Send PM

Originally posted by chaincrusher View Post

I agree. There is no reason at all not have the guaranteed money match at least the first two years of salary/bonus, which should be at least in the $35-40M range. If the team does not franchise tag Herbert in 2025 or enter into a new contact with him before then, it seems like 2025 would be the first year that the team would have to deal with a huge salary for Herbert, which could impact upon the team's ability to keep one or more top end players such as James.

But we should be able to keep James at least in 2023 and 2024, so why not guarantee those years to get the guaranteed dollars in the right place of being slightly better than Fitzpatrick's deal, which is where the team should be on this? James would be respected, but the team would have the ability to move on after two years with reduced dead money (if the signing bonus is kept small as I have suggested).
                          $40M Guaranteed sounds reasonable, but it will end up being quibbles and bits imo. Another $10M over 4-5 years isn’t a big deal, i’ll let the accountants forecast where to let the total dollars hit per year.

According to Spottrac, and I’m no capologist so welcome guys that do attempt to study it, Chargers have committed cap of only ~$76M in 2025 which they estimate is 28% of team cap.

Slater and Herbert are not on the cap list, among others. A lot of work to fill out the 2025 roster so I don’t know what it means.

Derwin is a star. I appreciate his history, but I rate the biggest service gap as a fluke team practice injury and not something I project forward. I’m looking at last season and what he means to a modern defense and I am signing him if I am GM. Whats the alternative?

Comment

Working...
                          X