2023 Official Charger Draft - Post Draft Discussion (Daily Links In OP)

Collapse
X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • 21&500
    Bolt Spit-Baller
    • Sep 2018
    • A Whale's Vajayjay
    • CMB refugee
    • Send PM

Originally posted by Formula 21 View Post
    NFL DRAFT INJURY IMPACT: GEORGIA TE DARNELL WASHINGTON

Kyle Trimble
    04/19/2023

One of the stalwarts of the back-to-back National Champion Georgia Bulldogs, gargantuan tight end Darnell Washington brings with him traits that appear to have been created in a laboratory. Standing tall at 6’7”, 265 lbs, he brings outstanding blocking ability and power to create mismatches not only as a target in the passing game but also in the run game.

At times underutilized in Georgia’s offense, Washington shows a lot of potential at the NFL level, but also some concerns. While he did not miss many games, several lower body injuries are worth a closer look to identify whether there are concerns moving forward. Injury History

Undisclosed injury, missed zero games.

Washington went through testing during pregame working out an unknown injury. He suited up but did not record any stats.

Foot surgery, side not specified, missed four games.

While practicing during the preseason, Washington suffered a minor fracture in his foot, requiring surgery.

It was reported that he would miss four-to-six weeks at the time of the injury. He missed six weeks total including the first four games, returning in early October.

There was not any additional information on the exact specifics of the procedure.

Foot injury, side not specified, missed spring practice.

During spring practices, he sustained another foot injury, keeping him out for the rest of the scheduled sessions. It’s not clear whether this was the same side from 2021 or if he required surgery.

Left ankle injury, missed zero games.

Washington suffered a left ankle injury in the semi-final game against Ohio State initially reported as a high-ankle sprain. It was later clarified as an ankle strain and soft tissue contusion.

He was able to return in the National Championship, securing one reception for 28 yards. Injury Concerns

The big issues are the foot and ankle injuries as noted above. His foot injury that required surgery may have been as simple as a metatarsal fracture that required a small plate and screws to stabilize the area to ensure healing.

The ankle injury during the college playoffs appears unlucky and only highlighted because of the stage he was on at the time.

However, the other foot injury has some cause for concern due to the lack of information. To miss all of the spring practice is notable and not knowing if he required surgery then or if this was even the same foot should give teams pause.

They have done their homework on him regarding the medicals at the NFL Combine, but how does he project out? The big unknown is whether these were one-off injuries or if this is the trend of something more.

Looking at the research, most of the foot injuries in the NFL that warranted detailed analysis have involved Lisfranc sprains/fractures along with Jones’ and navicular fractures. Considering he returned in six weeks from his foot fracture in 2021, that ruled out a Lisfranc or Jones fracture as those carry longer time frames. NFL Comparables

When I look at Washington, he compares very similarly to former first-round pick OJ Howard (Howard 6’6”, 250 lbs, Washington 6’7”, 265 lbs.). While there are plenty of players who have similar measurables, Howard’s injuries once he hit the NFL have been a mess.

Jeremy Brevard-USA TODAY Sports

Looking at Howard’s injury history after signing with Buffalo last offseason, it is littered with foot and ankle issues. Howard became a liability due to his availability despite being productive when he was healthy. One could make the argument that he has not lived up to his first-round selection.

While the details of Washington’s injuries are not as extensive as Howard’s, I can’t help but notice the resemblance. Howard is still playing and contributing, but he has lost a lot of the quickness he once had in his feet due to the injuries.

Will Washington exhibit similar issues due to being so big, and having difficulty getting his feet under him during blocking? Will the increased speed and demand of the game lead to further injury risk? How will his body respond to an increase in workload?

Considering the Bills once signed Howard, it suggests they would also be intrigued by Washington’s size.

Body Composition Comparables

Another consideration, once Washington is drafted, he will be among the largest tight ends in both height and weight. Looking at some of the injury histories of both of those types of players, he matches up height-wise with Donald Parham, 6’8” (Chargers), Zach Gentry, 6’8” (Steelers), Colby Parkinson, 6’7” (Seahawks), and Jelani Woods, 6’7” (Colts).

Weight-wise, he is similar to CJ Uzomah, 271 lbs. (Jets), Marcedes Lewis, 267 lbs. (Packers), Mo-Alie Cox, 267 lbs. (Colts), and Trevon Wesco, 267 lbs. (Bears).

Looking at these players, most of them have had some lower-body injury that has forced them to miss extensive time. Parkinson suffered a broken foot back in 2021 and Parham missed 11 total games due to a hamstring strain in 2022.

Gary A. Vasquez-USA TODAY Sports

Uzomah suffered an Achilles tear that cost him most of the 2020 season and a calf injury in 2016 that cost him five games. Gentry had a significant knee sprain that cost him seven games in 2020. Wesco had an ankle injury that cost him four games in 2020.

Even Marcedes Lewis, battling Father Time since 2006 has been incredibly durable, appearing in at least 15 games each season but three. During those seasons, he suffered ankle and calf injuries costing him 19 games over four years between 2013-2016.

Of the group of players mentioned above, Cox and Woods have shown to be the most durable, missing minimal time with minor injuries, costing them no more than three games at a time.

When looking at the smaller and lighter players listed in the article, the worst of the injuries include Josiah Deguara suffering a torn ACL in 2020, and Taysom Hill sustaining a variety of injuries due to his positional versatility.

Additionally, Dan Arnold suffered an MCL sprain that cost him four games in 2021. Finally, MyCole Pruitt had a nasty ankle fracture dislocation in 2021 toward the end of the season. Injuries happen to everyone, but it appears there is a greater frequency with taller and heavier tight ends, at least from a missed time standpoint.

Though there are offensive linemen that are bigger than Washington and suffered injuries, they do not have to move athletically like a tight end.

It’s not guaranteed he will suffer further injury, but if he does, I anticipate that he could miss extended time, stunting his development and productivity. It’s important to note that every player listed above with the exception of Woods and Parham has been able to play a full season at some point in their career, but when the injuries hit, they hit hard. Bills Outlook

The one unknown from looking from the outside is the exact details of the foot injuries.

Looking at other players including OJ Howard and body composition comparables, the injury concerns can’t be ignored. I view Washington as a boom-or-bust prospect. If he can stay healthy, the sky’s the limit. If injuries occur, they could really derail things. This has to be considered especially with how slow development is at the tight end position in the NFL.

Bigger, faster, and stronger may not be ideal in this instance.

While he is discussed as a first-round pick, I don’t see the value due to the concerns above. If he is there in the second round for Buffalo, it would be hard for him to pass up as long as the medicals check out. His prior medical history would not rule them out from selecting him in the second round based on prior trends, but there may be a better fit at a different position elsewhere.

Whenever and wherever Washington is selected, the hope would be that these are one-off injuries and he has a productive, healthy career.​

Keep in mind, we have a Georgia insider on-staff working as our new Offensive Quality Control guy.
    If we avoid DW, it's probably because of the intel, same goes if we select him.

Ravens new OC also should have the 211 but I don't think they need any more TEs.
    G-Ro knows.

Comment

• La Costa Boy
      Pretty much retired......
      • Sep 2018
      • JoJa
      • Bloviator of hot air and rhetoric.
      • Send PM

Does anybody's wife hate the draft as much as mine? Over the years those little bells that ding when a pick is in have become nails on a chalkboard to her. I will sequester for marital bliss.......

Comment

• CanadianBoltFan
        Registered Charger Fan
        • Jul 2022
        • White Rock, BC Canada
        • Send PM

Originally posted by 21&500 View Post
        Here is my prediction for us for round 1.
        Bijan FALLS...
        all the way to us.

Brace yourselves bolt brothers, it's Bijan at 21.
        I actually think 8 to Falcons

Comment

• NoMoreChillies
          Outback Goon
          • Sep 2018
          • Australia
          • Send PM

Originally posted by La Costa Boy View Post
          Does anybody's wife hate the draft as much as mine? Over the years those little bells that ding when a pick is in have become nails on a chalkboard to her. I will sequester for marital bliss.......
          My wife was born S.D. grew up hating football.
          I was Born AUS grew up loving Rugby.
          Moved to S.D. and fell in love with Chargers.
          Moved back to AUS and wife falls in love with Rugby.
          Neither of us watch the others football code.

yeah its weird in my house

Comment

• dmac_bolt
            Day Tripper
            • May 2019
            • North of the Lagoon
            • Send PM

Originally posted by powderblueboy View Post

Having Bijan Robinson available and Telesco opts for a Golden Domer.

The forum meltdown would almost be worth it.
            Oooh i would SOOOOOOO write a letter to the editor!!! I would be beyond miffed, full on peeved!
            “Less is more? NO NO NO - MORE is MORE!”

Comment

• dmac_bolt
              Day Tripper
              • May 2019
              • North of the Lagoon
              • Send PM

No but she laughs at me alot. “What are you doing, with all that typing over there?” “Oh, me and the guys at TPB are scouting players for the Chargers draft, we need to give Tom and Coach Staley a call here soon”.

she smiles again. “Ohhh, ok””. Adorable.
              “Less is more? NO NO NO - MORE is MORE!”

Comment

• electricgold
                Registered Charger Fan
                • Apr 2020
                • Send PM

If or when Bijan gets picked tonight before we pick, it will definitely feel like we didn't get the player a lot of Chargers fans want.

I'm hoping for if not Bijan, 1. Nolan Smith, 2. Branch 3. Addison 4. Kincaid 5. Johnston in no particular order... For some reason I'm feeling like TT wants either Mayer, Addison or Hyatt!

Comment

• UtahBolt
                  Did we win?
                  • Jun 2013
                  • I'll ride the wave...where it takes me.
                  • Send PM

It's sort of the opposite for me. My wife knows how much I love the draft, especially the first day and she goes out of the way to make it awesome for me. She asks what I want for dinner, "allows" me to sequester myself in the basement away from the kids and generally does what she can to make the experience awesome for me. Weird, it's really one of the only days of the year where I get to act like I am the king of my castle!

And yes, my wife is freaking awesome.
                  I'll ride the wave...where it takes me.

Comment

• Bolt4Knob
                    Registered Charger Fan
                    • Dec 2019
                    • Send PM

So you mean Bijan and Mayer are both on the board and he takes Mayer

I am not even sure Telesco would do that - but if he did - he should be fired

Comment

• Bolt4Knob
                      Registered Charger Fan
                      • Dec 2019
                      • Send PM

Originally posted by CanadianBoltFan View Post

I would be thrilled with Zay.

Would add a lot of explosion, excitement and fun to this offence. We need a YAC guy
                      I like WRs like Mingo and Mims but Zay in the first round would not be bad. As he brings something to the offense the team needs: speed and YAC. I like hm much more than say Addison or Quenton

Comment

• Velo
                        Ride!
                        • Aug 2019
                        • Everywhere
                        • Leave the gun, take the cannolis
                        • Send PM

Originally posted by UtahBolt View Post

It's sort of the opposite for me. My wife knows how much I love the draft, especially the first day and she goes out of the way to make it awesome for me. She asks what I want for dinner, "allows" me to sequester myself in the basement away from the kids and generally does what she can to make the experience awesome for me. Weird, it's really one of the only days of the year where I get to act like I am the king of my castle!

I'll be playing softball when the Chargers pick in the first round.

Comment

• richpjr
                          Registered Charger Fan
                          • Jun 2013
                          • Nashville
                          • Send PM

Originally posted by UtahBolt View Post

LOL - nice! My wife won't be making me dinner, but she will camp out on the couch and watch the draft with me. Well, more accurately, she'll watch our pick and read/shop online during most of the rest of the draft.

Comment

Working...
                          X