• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • powderblueboy
    Registered Charger Fan
    • Jul 2017
    • Send PM

Originally posted by richpjr View Post

Every game is different. The Broncos are beating KC 17-13 late in the 3rd quarter - should they be called out?
    As being a very beatable team in the playoffs, a grade or two below the last few seasons? Absolutely!

Comment

• Boltjolt
      Dont let the PBs fool ya
      • Jun 2013
      • Henderson, NV
      • Send PM

Originally posted by Eurobolt View Post

Giants OC made good game plan they have scored 40 points in a game securing PO - offence dominated against weak team.

We did not.
      Well they scored 31 and gave up 10. We gave up 3 ....since we are splitting hairs lol.

I get it, Offense needs to pick it up. Still got a W, same as NY.

Comment

• Velo
        Ride!
        • Aug 2019
        • Everywhere
        • Leave the gun, take the cannolis
        • Send PM

Good game called by Lombardi today.

Comment

• Boltjolt
          Dont let the PBs fool ya
          • Jun 2013
          • Henderson, NV
          • Send PM

Originally posted by Velo View Post
          Yep, the Rams scored 51 on Denver last week and only 10 on us. It's a different game every week and why I don't trip over scoring only 20 on Indy.
          Last edited by Boltjolt; 01-01-2023, 11:46 PM.

Comment

• Eurobolt
            *** Jim Harbaugh ***
            • Sep 2018
            • Send PM

Yes it was ok game. Still nothing showing we can win vs elite teams.

Comment

• Riverwalk
              Registered Charger Fan
              • Nov 2021
              • Send PM

Better late than never.

Lombardi showed more aggressiveness in his play calling and the offense showed improvement.

That’s what we were hoping for this time of the season so I’m satisfied.

It shows he’s listening to the this forum criticism which was widely echoed across all social media and he made changes for the better.

Perhaps Staley intervened and helped him. It would be interesting to know the inside baseball, sausage making, or whatever you want to call it, but nevertheless, the outcome was what we long expected the offense could achieve and it was fantastic.

Comment

• Trumpet Man
                Dea Spanos my HERO
                • Dec 2022
                • Send PM

Originally posted by Riverwalk View Post
                Better late than never.

Lombardi showed more aggressiveness in his play calling and the offense showed improvement.

It shows he’s listening to the this forum criticism which was widely echoed across all social media and he made changes for the better.

Perhaps Staley intervened and helped him. It would be interesting to know the inside baseball, sausage making, or whatever you want to call it, but nevertheless, the outcome was what we long expected the offense could achieve and it was fantastic.
                I was asked this question yesterday on a Live podcast (shameless plug for the Bolt Bros Podcast) on YouTube by a fan. I said NO. My sense is that Coach Staley hired his coordinators to do their thing and let's them do their thing VS. having the talk - you know - the talk with Lombardi. They are all held accountable and it is no secret their jobs were ALL on the line until the 2 point play which won the game against the Cardinals.

The turning point for the season is debatable but the "ALL IN" included the "ALL OUT" since Telesco was not extended (I believe Telesco was snubbed as a warning shot across the bow).....

Comment

• dmac_bolt
                  Day Tripper
                  • May 2019
                  • North of the Lagoon
                  • Send PM

Originally posted by Riverwalk View Post
                  Better late than never.

Was the play calling approach all that different or was it better execution that was a bigger factor? Herbie had more time in the pocket more often, that lets mid-deep route receivers more time to get open and gives him more time to find them. I saw him looking on many plays last week but decide he was out of time and check down.

They still called many of those sub-5 yard short passes that TPB hate - pass handoffs, its still a staple of the offense design. What was different yesterday was other receivers or blockers made that first block to spring the play 10+ yards.

I don’t know - I’ll defer to the gurus that do play counts by target area etc for actual analysis - to me It still looked like a Lombo offense, the players just played better.
                  “Less is more? NO NO NO - MORE is MORE!”

Comment

• Riverwalk
                    Registered Charger Fan
                    • Nov 2021
                    • Send PM

Originally posted by dmac_bolt View Post

Was the play calling approach all that different or was it better execution that was a bigger factor? Herbie had more time in the pocket more often, that lets mid-deep route receivers more time to get open and gives him more time to find them. I saw him looking on many plays last week but decide he was out of time and check down.

They still called many of those sub-5 yard short passes that TPB hate - pass handoffs, its still a staple of the offense design. What was different yesterday was other receivers or blockers made that first block to spring the play 10+ yards.

I don’t know - I’ll defer to the gurus that do play counts by target area etc for actual analysis - to me It still looked like a Lombo offense, the players just played better.
                    Chicken or the egg? Fair question.

Better play analysts than I, like Chris Simms, have called out Lombardi’s play calling. Lombardi criticized himself on two separate occasions for playing too conservatively. SF players laughed at how easy it was to defend against him.

There’s no question injuries were a problem for several games but minus Slater, the offense is as healthy as it gets now, so I think the remaining games this season should be his audition for keeping his job next season.

On the other hand, If you lean more to the excuse it was players not executing Lombardi’s brilliant play calling…..well, your responsibility as OC is to install plays that bring out the best in your players, so you still own their poor execution.

For example if your OL can’t open a running lane behind the center, don’t continue to run it on first and 10 to open every third quarter. Design another run play or pass it.

Comment

• jamrock
                      lawyers, guns and money
                      • Sep 2017
                      • Send PM

Agree. Also some elite plays by our playmakers. But I liked the throws to Everett and Parham in the end zone. Much better than the throws at or behind the LOS we’ve seen in the past.

Comment

• Velo
                        Ride!
                        • Aug 2019
                        • Everywhere
                        • Leave the gun, take the cannolis
                        • Send PM

Originally posted by jamrock View Post
                        Much better than the throws at or behind the LOS we’ve seen in the past.
                        Those throws should be removed from the playbook.

Comment

• Trumpet Man
                          Dea Spanos my HERO
                          • Dec 2022
                          • Send PM

Originally posted by jamrock View Post

Agree. Also some elite plays by our playmakers. But I liked the throws to Everett and Parham in the end zone. Much better than the throws at or behind the LOS we’ve seen in the past.
                          Those throws behind the LOS got us to the 5th seed yet I am reading they are not good or should be eliminated from the game plan is not wise or something I would support in my mighty universe of 1. Nope. I saw production yesterday from those same plays when people block and do their jobs and get that YAC.

Comment

Working...
                          X