• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Topcat
    AKA "Pollcat"
    • Jan 2019
    • Send PM

Originally posted by Boltgang74 View Post
    That's why we need more o line and a couple more speedy receivers.Unlock Herbert.
    Yep...start by drafting a solid RT...or at least sign or draft a solid OT backup...see who wins out between the new guy and Salyer...

Comment

• Trumpet Man
      Dea Spanos my HERO
      • Dec 2022
      • Send PM

Originally posted by Boltgang74 View Post
      That's why we need more o line and a couple more speedy receivers.Unlock Herbert.
      See I like this thinking. Offensive line first.

Most fans lose their f'n minds and will chant to use the 1st round pick for the fastest WR in the draft.

BEEF

It does a team good.

Comment

• wu-dai clan
        Smooth Operation
        • May 2017
        • Send PM

Originally posted by Boltnut View Post

When you talk about the "defense progressing" are you talking about Staley... or the players?
        IMO, the coaching and the scheme have always been there... the defense has improved because players are finally executing. Specifically, the LB's are reading/reacting/playing faster and the secondary is reading/reacting/rotating faster.

For the "offense to progress" the players will have to step up. Lombardi isn't doing anything wildly different than most OC's in the league. Everyone takes what the defense gives them. This is a philosophy that has been around football for many years. The "dink and dunk" offenses are more prevalent lately because of the way defenses play recently. The single-high safety scheme of Gus Bradley's Seahawks has been replaced by the double-high shell protections of Vick Fangio... and his disciples. IMO, it's the offensive players that need to step up... specifically the OL. The only offensive lineman that is consistently doing their job is Corey Linsley. Unless they get things figured out, the front 7 of the Bills, Chiefs, Bengals, and Ravens will cause chaos... and turnovers. Limit the false starts, offensive holding, sacks, and turnovers... and we'll be in convertible situations. Convert 3rd downs and run it better in the redzone and we can beat anyone. But that will be up to the players. Period. Stop.

IMO, with Bosa back, we have the best pass rush and the best secondary of all the AFC playoff teams. The team that protects the ball the best will move on to the Super Bowl. The team that creates the most turnovers will move on. We actually have the best OC and DC philosophies for that scenario. Now it's up to the players to execute... and in many cases, eliminate mental mistakes and drive ending penalties. The coaches aren't committing penalties, fumbling, or throwing into coverage... The one criticism I have of Lombardi is his propensity to throw the ball too much in the redzone. 1st-and-goal from the 7 yard-line needs to get converted into 7 points... not 3. And if not running 3 straight times... at least look like you're going to run it... or be a threat to run it. Ekeler is a redzone beast.
        I wholeheartedly agree here.
        And mixing in power runs with Inside Zone will be what destroys.

Lombardi is stretching teams out horizontally with EDGE plays. Now comes straight ahead inside runs. Occasional shots downfield makes us difficult to defend overall.

No penalties.
        No fumbles.
        No Herb INTs.

I like our chances.
        We do not play modern football.

Comment

• Air Coryell
          Registered Charger Fan
          • Jan 2021
          • Carlsbad, CA
          • Teacher, Coach, CFO
          • Send PM

Watch tonight's game (Cinn - Buff) to see what our offense should look like with JH. Question - why doesn't it look like that? We have the QB, WR, TE RB and OL.

Comment

• Trumpet Man
            Dea Spanos my HERO
            • Dec 2022
            • Send PM

Originally posted by Air Coryell View Post
            Watch tonight's game (Cinn - Buff) to see what our offense should look like with JH. Question - why doesn't it look like that? We have the QB, WR, TE RB and OL.
            No deep speed WR

OL is a yo-yo for performance

Run game has no heart beat or BELL COW RB (not Ekeler or others)

Comment

• richpjr
              Registered Charger Fan
              • Jun 2013
              • Nashville
              • Send PM

Originally posted by Air Coryell View Post
              The Bengals top 3 receivers are all better than any receiver on our roster.

Comment

• dmac_bolt
                Day Tripper
                • May 2019
                • North of the Lagoon
                • Send PM

Originally posted by Riverwalk View Post

Chicken or the egg? Fair question.

Better play analysts than I, like Chris Simms, have called out Lombardi’s play calling. Lombardi criticized himself on two separate occasions for playing too conservatively. SF players laughed at how easy it was to defend against him.

There’s no question injuries were a problem for several games but minus Slater, the offense is as healthy as it gets now, so I think the remaining games this season should be his audition for keeping his job next season.

On the other hand, If you lean more to the excuse it was players not executing Lombardi’s brilliant play calling…..well, your responsibility as OC is to install plays that bring out the best in your players, so you still own their poor execution.

For example if your OL can’t open a running lane behind the center, don’t continue to run it on first and 10 to open every third quarter. Design another run play or pass it.
                This is where TPB anger should focus. I see a lot of teams run a lot of the same designs, every team throws passes short of 10 yards all the time. Lombo is not a maverick wild man with his own never-seen novel offensive designs. The problem has been much more a lack of execution - and as you note - that too is coaching. And yes, it is the OC knowing what the team is good at and not good at. So that doesn’t get him off the hook yet. But the next question is which coaching and how do you fix it so they do more things great?

That , i don’t know but I would rent if I were the OL coach.
                “Less is more? NO NO NO - MORE is MORE!”

Comment

• dmac_bolt
                  Day Tripper
                  • May 2019
                  • North of the Lagoon
                  • Send PM

Originally posted by gzubeck View Post

Sure he is when he's got Mdub to throw to. He knows there's a 50/50 chance on the jump ball and mike will knock it down if he can't make a play on it.
                  50/50 odds on pass plays are shitty odds if you’re throwing it 20 or 30 times a game. Risk-ignoring QBs are coach killers that lose games. Every NFL coach preaches ball safety to every QB, its nothing new or unique. Herbie has won 10 with massive injuries by playing smart, so the crowd here urges him to stop playing smart and just go nuts! Yeah, super plan.
                  “Less is more? NO NO NO - MORE is MORE!”

Comment

• gzubeck
                    Ines Sainz = Jet Bait!
                    • Jan 2019
                    • Tucson, AZ
                    • Send PM

Originally posted by dmac_bolt View Post

50/50 odds on pass plays are shitty odds if you’re throwing it 20 or 30 times a game. Risk-ignoring QBs are coach killers that lose games. Every NFL coach preaches ball safety to every QB, its nothing new or unique. Herbie has won 10 with massive injuries by playing smart, so the crowd here urges him to stop playing smart and just go nuts! Yeah, super plan.
                    Damn right...bring back Mr. Piss missile! :>)
                    Chiefs won the Superbowl with 10 Rookies....

"Locked, Cocked, and ready to Rock!" Jim Harbaugh

Comment

• jamrock
                      lawyers, guns and money
                      • Sep 2017
                      • Send PM

Originally posted by richpjr View Post

The Bengals top 3 receivers are all better than any receiver on our roster.
                      False

Comment

• Topcat
                        AKA "Pollcat"
                        • Jan 2019
                        • Send PM

Originally posted by gzubeck View Post

Damn right...bring back Mr. Piss missile! :>)
                        Are u referring to Launchwhiffy?

Comment

• wu-dai clan
                          Smooth Operation
                          • May 2017
                          • Send PM

I have opined several times that our running game will/is trending up, as players get situated with a healthy Ringmaster Corey Linsley.

Watch Geoff Schwartz analyze Ekeler's 72 yard TD run and you will see the intricacies of well-timed and well-placed combo blocks.

DEN D will challenge us, and give us a chance to hone our chops before the playoffs.
                          We do not play modern football.

Comment

Working...
                          X