Clear All
  • Riverwalk
    Registered Charger Fan
    • Nov 2021
    • Send PM

Originally posted by Bolt4Knob View Post

the back door and the term sheet

classic memories

If Daron Edwards or Humbolt show up here....
    I think Humbolt passed away. RIP.

Comment

• Boltnut
      Registered Charger Fan
      • Feb 2019
      • Send PM

Originally posted by Eurobolt View Post
      Anyone defending Lombardi at this point is beyond me.
      Staley has moved away from the heat making PO thanks to his defence progressing and dominating vs weak teams.
      Can Lombo dominate vs anyone?
      We are still one and done team in PO unless offence can show any glimpses of progression as we will need to outscore this year's AFC powerhouses of KC / Cincy / Bills.

Seriously I am happy for a team but I do not get how beating weak teams (again would like to remind that only Dolphins are over 0.500 at this point of the season out of the teams we beat) can cloud the judgment and believe we are turning the corner...

It is very hard for me being optimistic (as my heart been broken so many times by this team) that I need some serious thing happening (win vs Foles lead Colts is not one) to believe that this team can achieve anything this season.
      When you talk about the "defense progressing" are you talking about Staley... or the players?
      IMO, the coaching and the scheme have always been there... the defense has improved because players are finally executing. Specifically, the LB's are reading/reacting/playing faster and the secondary is reading/reacting/rotating faster.

For the "offense to progress" the players will have to step up. Lombardi isn't doing anything wildly different than most OC's in the league. Everyone takes what the defense gives them. This is a philosophy that has been around football for many years. The "dink and dunk" offenses are more prevalent lately because of the way defenses play recently. The single-high safety scheme of Gus Bradley's Seahawks has been replaced by the double-high shell protections of Vick Fangio... and his disciples. IMO, it's the offensive players that need to step up... specifically the OL. The only offensive lineman that is consistently doing their job is Corey Linsley. Unless they get things figured out, the front 7 of the Bills, Chiefs, Bengals, and Ravens will cause chaos... and turnovers. Limit the false starts, offensive holding, sacks, and turnovers... and we'll be in convertible situations. Convert 3rd downs and run it better in the redzone and we can beat anyone. But that will be up to the players. Period. Stop.

IMO, with Bosa back, we have the best pass rush and the best secondary of all the AFC playoff teams. The team that protects the ball the best will move on to the Super Bowl. The team that creates the most turnovers will move on. We actually have the best OC and DC philosophies for that scenario. Now it's up to the players to execute... and in many cases, eliminate mental mistakes and drive ending penalties. The coaches aren't committing penalties, fumbling, or throwing into coverage... The one criticism I have of Lombardi is his propensity to throw the ball too much in the redzone. 1st-and-goal from the 7 yard-line needs to get converted into 7 points... not 3. And if not running 3 straight times... at least look like you're going to run it... or be a threat to run it. Ekeler is a redzone beast.

Comment

• powderblueboy
        Registered Charger Fan
        • Jul 2017
        • Send PM

Originally posted by Riverwalk View Post

Wow!

I'm sorry to hear this.

I remember when Humbolt created the Mahomes thread,
        pimping this little known qb out of Texas Tech.

A few evil little bastards would personalize attacks against him because he was so well mannered on the UT site.

Comment

• powderblueboy
          Registered Charger Fan
          • Jul 2017
          • Send PM

Originally posted by Boltnut View Post

The Nancies had three negative weeks...
          Knowing nothing about which they speaks...?
          Thank you,

this worked well with my late morning latte maccchiato.

Comment

• Bolt4Knob
            Registered Charger Fan
            • Dec 2019
            • Send PM

Oh such sad news. He was a good man

The resident liberal from Sacramento -

But a good man - may he RIP

Comment

• powderblueboy
              Registered Charger Fan
              • Jul 2017
              • Send PM

Originally posted by Boltnut View Post

When you talk about the "defense progressing" are you talking about Staley... or the players?
              IMO, the coaching and the scheme have always been there... the defense has improved because players are finally executing. Specifically, the LB's are reading/reacting/playing faster and the secondary is reading/reacting/rotating faster.

For the "offense to progress" the players will have to step up. Lombardi isn't doing anything wildly different than most OC's in the league. Everyone takes what the defense gives them. This is a philosophy that has been around football for many years. The "dink and dunk" offenses are more prevalent lately because of the way defenses play recently. The single-high safety scheme of Gus Bradley's Seahawks has been replaced by the double-high shell protections of Vick Fangio... and his disciples. IMO, it's the offensive players that need to step up... specifically the OL. The only offensive lineman that is consistently doing their job is Corey Linsley. Unless they get things figured out, the front 7 of the Bills, Chiefs, Bengals, and Ravens will cause chaos... and turnovers. Limit the false starts, offensive holding, sacks, and turnovers... and we'll be in convertible situations. Convert 3rd downs and run it better in the redzone and we can beat anyone. But that will be up to the players. Period. Stop.

IMO, with Bosa back, we have the best pass rush and the best secondary of all the AFC playoff teams. The team that protects the ball the best will move on to the Super Bowl. The team that creates the most turnovers will move on. We actually have the best OC and DC philosophies for that scenario. Now it's up to the players to execute... and in many cases, eliminate mental mistakes and drive ending penalties. The coaches aren't committing penalties, fumbling, or throwing into coverage... The one criticism I have of Lombardi is his propensity to throw the ball too much in the redzone. 1st-and-goal from the 7 yard-line needs to get converted into 7 points... not 3. And if not running 3 straight times... at least look like you're going to run it... or be a threat to run it. Ekeler is a redzone beast.
              On defense, it is very disputable as to whether it's a matter of 'executing' better on D.

Popper says its a matter of Staly eliminating things the D doesn't do well, and running more schemes that have been successful (he mentioned more cover 2).

Others, say that he has simplified things, allowing more man coverage on the perimeter (Michael Davis - particularly against Miami), and letting defenders be more physical with receivers. Fehoko has helped on the interior: not as many gash running plays against their base defense; but the Chargers had all types of trouble getting off the field on favorable 3rd downs 5 weeks ago.

From the eye test: the coverage is tighter, the pass rush is better, and the players are swarming to the football.
              Bad Olines? Bad qbs? Coaching adjustments? Executing better?

We'll find out.

The suspicion among many here is that there are adjustments Lombo can make that he is not enacting,
              and that what he prefers to run (or the only thing he's trained to do) doesn't fit the talent of the team from the perspective of any position group.

Scoring two tds per game is unacceptable with practically all the starters back.
              I don't care how he goes about doing things, score some damn touchdowns.

There are no ugly tds.

Comment

• dmac_bolt
                Day Tripper
                • May 2019
                • North of the Lagoon
                • Send PM

Originally posted by Trumpet Man View Post

Forrest and I are tight so no worries

Jokes about me were rampant but as you know I am forum battle tested.

Is FLEET cool ?

You know that is the name of an ENEMA.......is he watching or rinsing ?
                Fleet is EPIC. Send him a contribution for the website immediately!
                “Less is more? NO NO NO - MORE is MORE!”

Comment

• dmac_bolt
                  Day Tripper
                  • May 2019
                  • North of the Lagoon
                  • Send PM

Originally posted by powderblueboy View Post

Wow!

I'm sorry to hear this.

I remember when Humbolt created the Mahomes thread,
                  pimping this little known qb out of Texas Tech.

A few evil little bastards would personalize attacks against him because he was so well mannered on the UT site.
                  Wow. Sad. I’ve got my coffee mug, its a wet 62 degrees outside … fly with the angels, good man …

Comment

• dmac_bolt
                    Day Tripper
                    • May 2019
                    • North of the Lagoon
                    • Send PM

Originally posted by powderblueboy View Post

On defense, it is very disputable as to whether it's a matter of 'executing' better on D.

Popper says its a matter of Staly eliminating things the D doesn't do well, and running more schemes that have been successful (he mentioned more cover 2).

Others, say that he has simplified things, allowing more man coverage on the perimeter (Michael Davis - particularly against Miami), and letting defenders be more physical with receivers. Fehoko has helped on the interior: not as many gash running plays against their base defense; but the Chargers had all types of trouble getting off the field on favorable 3rd downs 5 weeks ago.

From the eye test: the coverage is tighter, the pass rush is better, and the players are swarming to the football.
                    Bad Olines? Bad qbs? Coaching adjustments? Executing better?

We'll find out.

The suspicion among many here is that there are adjustments Lombo can make that he is not enacting,
                    and that what he prefers to run (or the only thing he's trained to do) doesn't fit the talent of the team from the perspective of any position group.

On Offense, what I think I see most of the time is OL blockers running around but then not hitting anyone. That was why I posted my 3-part multi-choice question of what is the actual problem. Nobody has posted anything to indicate Joe’s blocking schemes are notably different than a lot of teams. Players just don’t consistently execute.

The question then is WHY? Bad coaching at the position level? Because I don’t believe our OL players are mentally or physically incapable as a group. Our OL coach was immediately fired as soon as Allen was hired in NO - was it because he just wanted “his guys” or did Allen know something? Beats me …

Comment

• Critty
                      Dominate the Day.
                      • Mar 2019
                      • Send PM

Originally posted by Topcat View Post

Nice spin job, Critty. The Titanic had three flawless days of sailing before day 4 when it sunk...there...see what I just did?
                      Not really. Chargers did not sink like you and all the negative nancy have predicted. There has been no fatal final 4th qtr.
                      So you need a scapegoat, ah ha the 3rd qtr. Look at those stats. I take it you don't like the slow section of a roller coaster ride. But it still delivers the excitement when you jump on and go for a ride every game day. It that 2nd section that is the most electric part of the ride.
                      Enjoy!
                      See what I just did here.
                      Who has it better than us?

Comment

• Trumpet Man
                        Dea Spanos my HERO
                        • Dec 2022
                        • Send PM

Oh wow. When he posted last he had visited a clinic by the Spanos family and he hated Spanos. He said it was serious but I never asked. It was none of my business to pry. Damn RIP Humbolt. Good dude.

Comment

• Trumpet Man
                          Dea Spanos my HERO
                          • Dec 2022
                          • Send PM

Originally posted by Bolt4Knob View Post

Oh such sad news. He was a good man

The resident liberal from Sacramento -

But a good man - may he RIP
                          Damn. I tried to get under his skin more than a few times but never succeeded. I should have tried harder now. :uplol: Humbolt would appreciate the humor.

I resurface only to hear this and 'Roo from the UT and ..... damn

Comment

Working...
                          X