• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • jamrock
    lawyers, guns and money
    • Sep 2017
    • Send PM

Originally posted by jaguarmanftype View Post
    Staley needs the cahones to do what he did with JC Jackson today, and with Darius Swinton last year. Get rid off Lombardi because he will cost Staley his job, and also get rid off Renaldo Hill. Neither of these two are competent coordinators, they are at best position coaches. Promote Shane Day to OC since we cant get Shane Steichen back, and bring in Vic Fangio for DC to challenge Staley, and allow him to be more preoccupied about overall head coaching duties.
    Would love it if he could bring in Fangio. Day can’t be worse than Lombardi. It’s unimaginable. Lombardi has turned a silk purse into a sow’s ear

Comment

• Originally posted by richpjr View Post

And then the win.
      Because of everything except Lombardi's offense.

Comment

• Kellyb72601
        Registered Charger Fan
        • Sep 2019
        • Send PM

Some of you'll blame things on Lombardi that are Herberts fault. Herbert just isn't the QB a lot of us thought and wished he was. He's a strong armed QB with a lot of physical ability that goes wasted. He's a checkdown machine that doesn't take chances. He can scramble, but he doesn't. He can throw it 60 yards on a rope, but he won't. I think this is just who he is. His play never measured up to his physical ability at Oregon either, he always looked like he was playing scared.

Comment

• jaguarmanftype
          Registered Charger Fan
          • Nov 2020
          • Send PM

Originally posted by Kellyb72601 View Post
          Some of you'll blame things on Lombardi that are Herberts fault. Herbert just isn't the QB a lot of us thought and wished he was. He's a strong armed QB with a lot of physical ability that goes wasted. He's a checkdown machine that doesn't take chances. He can scramble, but he doesn't. He can throw it 60 yards on a rope, but he won't. I think this is just who he is. His play never measured up to his physical ability at Oregon either, he always looked like he was playing scared.
          I don't think so. He took more risk in 2020 and even last year, so it's not that. It seems that he's being coached to be conservative, but the question is why. It may be due to his health, or that the coaching staff doesn't trust certain players, so he has a less reads on the call sheet. I don't believe they're letting him audible or let him progress through all his reads naturally, and I don't see that he's calling protections, as they delegated that job to Linsley. I don't think that he's incapable of doing all the above, as he's a high IQ guy, but it seems like they are forcibly simplifying his role for whatever reason.

For all intents and purposes, from what I've seen from him in the past, he's more than capable of adjusting and calling/making his own plays, but I don't think this system allows him that freedom unless we're down and behind and they have to rely on his heroics.

Comment

• Kellyb72601
            Registered Charger Fan
            • Sep 2019
            • Send PM

In every big tight game he's always either reverted to the way he looked last night or turned the ball over. There's a reason this team hasn't been in the playoffs since we had him, and it's not all on the defense and play calling. After the game ESPN was showing several plays that were drawn up with OPEN options down the field for simple completions Herbert saw them and still decided to throw the checkdown. Here is the video:

Enjoy the videos and music you love, upload original content, and share it all with friends, family, and the world on YouTube.
            Last edited by Kellyb72601; 10-18-2022, 10:06 AM.

Comment

• jamrock
              lawyers, guns and money
              • Sep 2017
              • Send PM

Sobering thoughts. I think the injury has changed his willingness/ability to scramble and maybe his desire to get rid of the ball quicker. I also think a good coach with an imaginative play calling approach would help him out. What you're describing can be fixed. Its not like we haven't seen him chuck it.

Comment

• jaguarmanftype
                Registered Charger Fan
                • Nov 2020
                • Send PM

In every big tight game he's always either reverted to the way he looked last night or turned the ball over. There's a reason this team hasn't been in the playoffs since we had him, and it's not all on the defense and play calling. After the game ESPN was showing several plays that were drawn up with OPEN options down the field for simple completions Herbert saw them and still decided to throw the checkdown.
                I noticed that too, there are definitely open players running routes that he isn't even looking at and sometimes looking at and passing it off elsewhere. I don't really know if his ribs are mentally screwing with him that maybe he doesn't have the confidence to pass it, or that we have players out there that aren't designated reads due to some overarching strategy, or Herbert doesn't trust them for whatever reason. I noticed that Everett has virtually been put in the doghouse, as he isn't being utilized at all after the first few weeks. Not sure what that is about. And there are too many forced throws to Palmer, which seems by design.

Comment

• Blastttoff
                  Registered Charger Fan
                  • Sep 2020
                  • Send PM

Ever since Slater went down, he’s not trusting his o-linemen to protect him. His rib is also the back of his mind, so he’s checking down and playing it safe.

I mean it was working, we had a ton of third down conversions to control the game for us. It’s a good strategy and bodes we’ll if we ever have to play high powered offenses like the bills and chiefs down the road.

once we get healthy and our o linemen back, and his ribs feeling better, I’d reckon we’ll see a more aggressive herbo

Comment

• Kellyb72601
                    Registered Charger Fan
                    • Sep 2019
                    • Send PM

Last night I see as a little bit of an aberration I don't think he'll look that bad very often at all. We kept getting penalties on 1st and 2nd down putting us in 1st and 20 and runs kept getting stuffed. I actually liked a lot of the calls last night until the very end. That was such a strange game usually its the defenses that get worn down as the game goes on and offenses seem to have an easier time, but last night seemed the exact opposite on both sides. Both offenses seemed to get worn down so at the end every run was getting stuffed for no gain and every pass attempt was a free for all at the QB with no receiver even close to getting open.

Comment

• gzubeck
                      Ines Sainz = Jet Bait!
                      • Jan 2019
                      • Tucson, AZ
                      • Send PM

Last night I see as a little bit of an aberration I don't think he'll look that bad very often at all. We kept getting penalties on 1st and 2nd down putting us in 1st and 20 and runs kept getting stuffed. I actually liked a lot of the calls last night until the very end. That was such a strange game usually its the defenses that get worn down as the game goes on and offenses seem to have an easier time, but last night seemed the exact opposite on both sides. Both offenses seemed to get worn down so at the end every run was getting stuffed for no gain and every pass attempt was a free for all at the QB with no receiver even close to getting open.
                      Keep Joe Lombardi or keep Justin Herbert? Hmmm difficult choice here. Rolls eyes! :>)
                      Chiefs won the Superbowl with 10 Rookies....

"Locked, Cocked, and ready to Rock!" Jim Harbaugh

Comment

• gzubeck
                        Ines Sainz = Jet Bait!
                        • Jan 2019
                        • Tucson, AZ
                        • Send PM

Even Rich Eisen is seeing what were seeing.

Chiefs won the Superbowl with 10 Rookies....

"Locked, Cocked, and ready to Rock!" Jim Harbaugh

Comment

• Riverwalk
                          Registered Charger Fan
                          • Nov 2021
                          • Send PM

Originally posted by gzubeck View Post
                          Even Rich Eisen is seeing what were seeing.

Ouch! I hope Charger players, coaches, and GM watch that for motivation.

Comment

Working...
                          X