• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • powderblueboy
    Registered Charger Fan
    • Jul 2017
    • Send PM

Originally posted by richpjr View Post

That is going to be a mighty short list.
    And you can strike the Chargers offense from that list as of three weeks ago ..... need to show us doubters that they aren't just along for the ride.

Comment

• LinksterAC
      San Diego Chargers Fan
      • Sep 2022
      • San Diego County
      • Send PM

Originally posted by dmac_bolt View Post

I forget, where does the team display those trophies?
      Are we going down the path of suggesting that the only way to grade an offense is whether the team has won a trophy or not?

Comment

• Bolt4Knob
        Registered Charger Fan
        • Dec 2019
        • Send PM

Originally posted by LinksterAC View Post

They’re still bad even when those guys are back, though.

And I’ve seen depleted offenses do much better than this. Heck, in the 2007 playoffs Billy freaking Volek led the Tomlinson-less Chargers to victory over Indy in Indy.

In 2010, with the Chargers’ best receivers injured early in the season, Rivers still put up all-pro numbers.

You can’t be this bad this consistently with Herbert as your QB.
        Exactly. This offense with Justin Herbert just needs to be more imaginative and better. It shouldn't be that hard. Yes, it would help to have a running game for sure. And a faster WR. But jeez - its just not as good as last year

And the post or two before this about what Popper wrote - he is right, Staley needs to makea chance for his own job as well as Herbert.

I don't know who the right OC type is -- I mean, where is the Brian Daboll out there? Is it Marrone with Alabama - maybe. I like Caldwell
        Jay Gruden was mentioned
        Frank Reich

What coach can take Herbert up a level
        Staley needs to look outside the box - like the Ficken hire.

Comment

• 21&500
          Bolt Spit-Baller
          • Sep 2018
          • A Whale's Vajayjay
          • CMB refugee
          • Send PM

I don't think the OC will matter as much when Herbert starts calling his own plays.
          We just don't know how far away that is.

P1. Block Destruction - Ogbonnia
          P2. Shocking Effort - Eboigbe
          P3. Ball Disruption - Ford
          P4. Obnoxious Communication - Henley

Comment

• Budsman
            Registered Charger Fan
            • May 2017
            • Send PM

Originally posted by powderblueboy View Post

Sure we can,

it's just that if it is used as a perpetual excuse, it wears thin.
            When the injuries are perpetual it no longer becomes an excuse but a reason.

Comment

• Budsman
              Registered Charger Fan
              • May 2017
              • Send PM

Originally posted by BayAreaBoltz View Post

I know a decent team in the NFC that's missing their starting QB, AND their 2nd string QB, and are currently starting their 3rd string QB, Mr. Irrelevant.

I wonder what our record would be with our main guys healthy and trotting out Easton Stick under Joe Lombo. The 49ers have also missed starting WR Deebo Samuel (4 games), starting RB Elijah Mitchell (12 games), and starting TE George Kittle (2 games).

Having said that, I agree that the injuries on the OL are the biggest difference between us and the 49ers (being able to run a full playbook). But, again, they are somehow successful with the last pick in the draft and missing a few pieces. Some of that is coaching.
              Did you miss them trading for one of the best running backs in football? Might have something to do with their continued success.

Comment

• Budsman
                Registered Charger Fan
                • May 2017
                • Send PM

Originally posted by CanadianBoltFan View Post

Its not bad but I do have to point out that if the Titans and Dolphins keep imploding the Chargers will make the playoffs without beating a single team with a winning record.

No matter what side of the Lombardi argument you are on, one thing is for certain, if this team doesnt want a quick playoff exit and wants a chance to beat a really good AFC team like the Bengals, Chiefs and Bills, they better find the next gear for their offence in the next couple of weeks.
                I don’t know why that matters. If we win against only teams with losing records during the regular season and then go deep in the playoffs/win it all does any of that matter?

Chargers are in the tourney, let’s see what they do vs already firing coaches.

Comment

• Budsman
                  Registered Charger Fan
                  • May 2017
                  • Send PM

Originally posted by Boltjolt View Post
                  True but we had the most injuries and to our top players.

We all knew our depth on the OL was a big weak spot and it showed. Pair that with Herberts injured ribs and it was brutal.

OL depth has to be a bigger priority in the off-season. Not saying sign vets that cost but just need to get some better players. Sarrell was shit. I don't think Storms even as bad as him.
                  I’m very excited for Slater at LT and Salyer at RT. Gosh that could be really good. Imagine if Herbert has time, it’s going to be fun, oh and yes I’m excited for Lombardi calling those plays.

Comment

• blueman
                    Registered Charger Fan
                    • Jun 2013
                    • Send PM

Originally posted by Budsman View Post

I’m very excited for Slater at LT and Salyer at RT. Gosh that could be really good. Imagine if Herbert has time, it’s going to be fun, oh and yes I’m excited for Lombardi calling those plays.
                    Only if it’s not the same plays we’ve been seeing…new stuff maybe?

Comment

• LinksterAC
                      San Diego Chargers Fan
                      • Sep 2022
                      • San Diego County
                      • Send PM

Originally posted by Budsman View Post

I'm excited to get those studs back too.

But boy I'd really love to have an OC that could find a way to use tools like Herbert & Ekeler to generate a competent offense even when things aren't perfect. :dunno:​

Comment

• dmac_bolt
                        Day Tripper
                        • May 2019
                        • North of the Lagoon
                        • Send PM

Are we going down the path of suggesting that the only way to grade an offense is whether the team has won a trophy or not?
                        No, just implying the obvious that I’d rather win with a shitty offense than lose with a great one. The history of the best Charger teams post-AFL is teams that had great offenses and lost when it mattered. I’m results oriented.

and I’d like Lombo replaced … next year. I don’t know what the endless bitching about him this year is doing for anyone
                        “Less is more? NO NO NO - MORE is MORE!”

Comment

• Maniaque 6
                          French Speaking Charger Fan
                          • Jan 2019
                          • Québec city
                          • Send PM

I'm excited to get those studs back too.

But boy I'd really love to have an OC that could find a way to use tools like Herbert & Ekeler to generate a competent offense even when things aren't perfect. :dunno:​
                          Do you mean that we can get more from EK ?

Comment

Working...
                          X