• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Caslon
    Registered Charger Fan
    • Apr 2019
    • Send PM

I’m also of the mind to sit Herbert against the Jags. It’s a good litmus test for the offense. There are other teams who don’t fall apart when the backup QB has to spell their QB for a game. I had a rib cartalidge injury, the pain can go on if it’s not allowed to fully heal. Tie Herbert to a chair if necessary, he’ll want to play next Sunday.

Comment

• DerwinBosa
      Registered Charger Fan
      • Feb 2022
      • Send PM

Originally posted by Boltjolt View Post

Phil had fractured ribs and he didnt always look that great out there.
      We all could see something was wrong with him and he wasn't himself but didnt know what til after the season.
      In fact after that season he said he contemplated retirement.

It is going to bother Herbert. He won't be himself either but hopefully he will be able to throw well. Expect a lot of the same short passes.

Trade Stick and Tillery or whoever for Minshew.
      Rivers was playing with a bulging disk in his lower back in 2014. He could barely move during the 49ers game but still pulled off that huge comeback. I don't remember him playing with fractured ribs, but maybe that was another year. Or maybe he had fractured ribs at the same time as the bulging disk.

I also want Herbert to sit for the Jaguars game, at least. I don't want his condition to worsen out of stupidity.

Comment

• Hadl2Alworth
        Registered Charger Fan
        • Oct 2017
        • Send PM

My experience with just this kind of injury leads me to these conclusions...

1) As long as he keeps playing it won't totally heal. I'm talking about within the season.

2) Any throwing movement is likely to interrupt any healing. Therefore I don't think it's a good idea for Justin to throw in practice. Minimize any throwing.

3) This injury could take years to fully heal. Especially for someone who throws a football for a living (forget about engaging contact).

4) Consistency will be an issue. The physical sensation you get from this injury is scary sometimes. I think that's what happened on that flip incomplete pass he had. That will lead to marked lapses in performance for Justin. Especially if he plays every week.

5) I'm hoping for a miracle recovery (Herbert is much younger than myself so you never know) but considering that he has to throw the ball to be effective I don't see much of a chance he ever gets healthy again for this season. If he took two months off with no throwing at all permitted....MAYBE he returns to his old self. But I doubt even that.

Comment

• Hadl2Alworth
          Registered Charger Fan
          • Oct 2017
          • Send PM

Originally posted by Hadl2Alworth View Post
          My experience with just this kind of injury leads me to these conclusions...

1) As long as he keeps playing it won't totally heal. I'm talking about within the season.

2) Any throwing movement is likely to interrupt any healing. Therefore I don't think it's a good idea for Justin to throw in practice. Minimize any throwing.

3) This injury could take years to fully heal. Especially for someone who throws a football for a living (forget about engaging contact).

4) Consistency will be an issue. The physical sensation you get from this injury is scary sometimes. I think that's what happened on that flip incomplete pass he had. That will lead to marked lapses in performance for Justin. Especially if he plays every week.

5) I'm hoping for a miracle recovery (Herbert is much younger than myself so you never know) but considering that he has to throw the ball to be effective I don't see much of a chance he ever gets healthy again for this season. If he took two months off with no throwing at all permitted....MAYBE he returns to his old self. But I doubt even that.
          6) Running around and moving his upper body in any kind of twisting motion will also have a bad effect. So I see Herbert's mobility suffering noticeably. His escape-ability could be a big issue. This will probably result in quicker - and shorter - passes.

I WANT to be wrong about all of this. I really fucking do! Especially #6.

Comment

• Hadl2Alworth
            Registered Charger Fan
            • Oct 2017
            • Send PM

Originally posted by DerwinBosa View Post

Rivers was playing with a bulging disk in his lower back in 2014. He could barely move during the 49ers game but still pulled off that huge comeback. I don't remember him playing with fractured ribs, but maybe that was another year. Or maybe he had fractured ribs at the same time as the bulging disk.

I also want Herbert to sit for the Jaguars game, at least. I don't want his condition to worsen out of stupidity.
            I agree with sitting Herbert for the Jags game. I don't see Herbert playing that game as a very wise move.

Comment

• jamrock
              lawyers, guns and money
              • Sep 2017
              • Send PM

We need to send Herbert some TPB mojo. Big time healing vibes

Comment

• Craig440
                Registered Charger Fan
                • Apr 2019
                • Send PM

Originally posted by jamrock View Post
                We need to send Herbert some TPB mojo. Big time healing vibes
                Yes we do.

Comment

• PhilaBoltster
                  Registered Charger Fan
                  • Mar 2019
                  • Send PM

I say let him sit out the year. Better to be fully healthy next year.

Comment

• 21&500
                    Bolt Spit-Baller
                    • Sep 2018
                    • A Whale's Vajayjay
                    • CMB refugee
                    • Send PM

Herbert is "LOLing" reading this,
                    Herb is a competitor
                    he'll sit no longer than a game.
                    G-Ro knows.

Comment

• wu-dai clan
                      Smooth Operation
                      • May 2017
                      • Send PM

We are completely screwed. This injury brings us down during Herbert's contract window, and after we have invested in "right now."

Herbert is in pain. This is also excrutiatingly painful for us loyal Charger fans. We are in shock, but are in typical denial.

Our difficult truth must be realized. The Chargers team must reinvent itself.

Accept the truth. Face it.

We simply cannot play dumb football anymore. We must have a high plus/minus turnover ratio.

Failing to recover the football during the rarest of opportunities on that onside kick is not a good start. There is lots of work to do.
                      We do not play modern football.

Comment

• wu-dai clan
                        Smooth Operation
                        • May 2017
                        • Send PM

Originally posted by Fleet 1 View Post
                        Gonna let this last game be a nice wake up call for this team. Lucky Herbs is ok. Ready to go kick ass with Allen and Williams on the field at the same time. Shore up protections. I think we are lucky with Linsley. Time to go play smarter football. Tighten things up. Get healthy over this mini Bye.

Felt like we controlled this Chiefs team when we wanted to. Like a kid with a superpower we just didnt know how to harness it. JC doesnt get beat often. Herbs out of character pick 6. Guys like him always grow from these moments.

Ready to move on and hope that we can field a team with all our stars on the field in the same game. I was pleased for the most part with the defense.
                        Prescient and wise.
                        We do not play modern football.

Comment

• Riverwalk
                          Registered Charger Fan
                          • Nov 2021
                          • Send PM

Herbert will play.

Why? Because the coach is a risk taker that values a win more than his QB’s safety.

That’s the only explanation for why he allowed Herbert to finish the game after he was exhibiting severe pain and his injury was unknown.

Comment

Working...
                          X