• Show
Clear All
  • JOJAX85
    Registered Charger Fan
    • Sep 2018
    • Irmo, SC
    • Send PM

Originally posted by Boltx View Post

You'd put him behind a banged up OL? He's one hit away from a major, major complication. That's not how you protect your franchise QB.
    IMO, you can't play like that nor can you coach like that. Everyone of them is 1 play away from possible catastrophe. Balls to the wall until there are no more walls.

Comment

• Fleet 1
      TPB Founder
      • Jun 2013
      • Kauai
      • Send PM

Gonna let this last game be a nice wake up call for this team. Lucky Herbs is ok. Ready to go kick ass with Allen and Williams on the field at the same time. Shore up protections. I think we are lucky with Linsley. Time to go play smarter football. Tighten things up. Get healthy over this mini Bye.

Felt like we controlled this Chiefs team when we wanted to. Like a kid with a superpower we just didnt know how to harness it. JC doesnt get beat often. Herbs out of character pick 6. Guys like him always grow from these moments.

Ready to move on and hope that we can field a team with all our stars on the field in the same game. I was pleased for the most part with the defense.

Comment

• Boltx
        Dominate the day
        • Jun 2013
        • Send PM

Originally posted by JOJAX85 View Post

IMO, you can't play like that nor can you coach like that. Everyone of them is 1 play away from possible catastrophe. Balls to the wall until there are no more walls.
        If this was a "routine" injury, I would absolutely 100% agree with you. If this was a team ready to push for a title I would also agree with you.

I think many of you are underestimating the severity of complications he could face. This isn't a "any given play" moment... we're talking about a preexisting injury so his risk profile is different.
        ESPN Screename: GoBolts02

Comment

• chargeroo
          Fan since 1961
          • Jan 2019
          • Oregon
          • Retired Manager/Pastor
          • Send PM

It appears that both our C and RT will be ready to go again for the next game. Put away your panic buttons and get ready for a good season.

I just re-watched the second half and both Norton and Clapp held their own. Our LG was the leak. It may be that the line calls made by Clapp were a problem but since none of us have any idea about those calls, we have to go by what the eyes tell us. The eyes tell me Feiler was our problem.

I sure wish we had won last night's game but I'm of the opinion that this new defense is very good. When we get KA back on the offense we will be fine on offense too.
          THE YEAR OF THE FLIP!

Comment

• Caslon
            Registered Charger Fan
            • Apr 2019
            • Send PM

5 days rest, 4 days practice of practice reps. Same amount of time he had to prepare for the Chiefs.

Comment

• BlazingBolt
              SLAM DUNK!
              • Jun 2013
              • East County San Diego
              • Bolt fanatic
              • Send PM

Overall I am positive coming out of that game

we looked like the better team

we just had some unfortunate things happen and chiefs made just enough plays to pull it out

migrated from chargerfans.net then the thenflforum.com then here

Comment

• Leslie Grossman
                Registered Charger Fan
                • Nov 2020
                • Oklahoma
                • Send PM

Herbie's ribs now have a big target on them. Sit him and take the likely L to JAX.
                If the cartilage breaks worse he's done. If this team is as good as we think they will still make the playoffs. If they're not that good they don't need to make the playoffs.
                Of course the coach speak is optimistic right now. Will be surprised and consider it foolish if he plays, just like it was to leave him in the game. They weren't coming from behind down 10 pts late in the game anyway.
                Last edited by Leslie Grossman; 09-16-2022, 08:36 PM.

Comment

• jamrock
                  lawyers, guns and money
                  • Sep 2017
                  • Send PM

Originally posted by Boltx View Post
                  I would sit him for at least a month to get SOME healing. Don't wreck this guy's career rushing him back to the field in a year where nobody is beating the Bills or Chiefs anyway.

See if the defense can keep us afloat for a few weeks.
                  The chiefs are beatable. Bills look like a different story

Comment

• richpjr
                    Registered Charger Fan
                    • Jun 2013
                    • Nashville
                    • Send PM

PROFOOTBALLDOC: JUSTIN HERBERT MAY BE “OK”BUT RIB CARTILAGE INJURIES LINGER

by DR. DAVID CHAOabout 7 hours ago

Everyone saw how much pain Justin Herbert was in. So much so, that he turned down a chance to walk to a first down on a key third and one. His head coach said he was “OK”, but there was no media availability for the tough as nails quarterback.

By video, Herbert appears to have a rib cartilage injury and those tend to linger longer than even a rib fracture.

X-rays were taken post game but there was no report of findings. But expect it to be negative, as rib cartilage injuries do not show up on that. OutKicks’ own Armando Seguro reported that an MRI is pending.

One can see where he was hurting, and it is in the lower rib cartilage area.

Signs are Good for Justin Hebert

This is good news as no fracture and little risk of a punctured lung as evidenced by his flying back to Los Angeles with the team. Based on two decades of NFL team physician experience, I doubt spleen or internal organ damage.

Rib cartilage takes longer to heal due to poor blood supply. It is very painful because of the attached intercostal, oblique and abdominal muscle. One has to twist the torso to throw and that can be quite painful.

Rib fractures are most painful in the first 2-4 weeks. Cartilage injuries can linger longer for 4-6 weeks or more.

I am not suggesting that Herbert will miss games. I am stating that it will effect his practice time. Even with 10 days before the next game, this will be a pain management issue in practice.

Based on his toughness, one does not expect Herbert to miss game time. Of course he can have a rib intercostal block injection to numb the pain on game day. The question is whether he chooses to have it given the local history.

Rib Block Injections are not perfect

Ironically, Herbert’s career was jump started early his rookie season by a rib block injection to starter Tyrod Taylor gone awry. There are ways to safely perform this intercostal nerve block. Philip Rivers had multiple occasions to need these for rib fractures in my NFL tenure and it helped him with his record ironman streak.

Indeed, Herbert will be OK, but the rib cartilage injury will be a management issue for the young star and team.

Comment

• Craig440
                      Registered Charger Fan
                      • Apr 2019
                      • Send PM

Herbert doesn't seem to happy to talk to Everett at the end of this video.

(235) Gerald Everett was GASSED & shows low effort on Chiefs pick 6 - YouTube

Comment

• Berserker76
                        Registered Charger Fan
                        • Nov 2019
                        • Send PM

Originally posted by Leslie Grossman View Post
                        Herbie's ribs now have a big target on them. Sit him and take the likely L to JAX.
                        If the cartilage breaks worse he's done. If this team is as good as we think they will still make the playoffs. If they're not that good they don't need to make the playoffs.
                        Of course the coach speak is optimistic right now. Will be surprised and consider it foolish if he plays, just like it was to leave him in the game. They weren't coming from behind down 10 pts anyway.
                        I agree with keeping Herbert out of next weeks game. However, this team is quite capable of beating the Jags, even with Daniels, so I see a win for that game.

Comment

• jamrock
                          lawyers, guns and money
                          • Sep 2017
                          • Send PM

Originally posted by richpjr View Post
                          PROFOOTBALLDOC: JUSTIN HERBERT MAY BE “OK”BUT RIB CARTILAGE INJURIES LINGER

by DR. DAVID CHAOabout 7 hours ago

Everyone saw how much pain Justin Herbert was in. So much so, that he turned down a chance to walk to a first down on a key third and one. His head coach said he was “OK”, but there was no media availability for the tough as nails quarterback.

By video, Herbert appears to have a rib cartilage injury and those tend to linger longer than even a rib fracture.

X-rays were taken post game but there was no report of findings. But expect it to be negative, as rib cartilage injuries do not show up on that. OutKicks’ own Armando Seguro reported that an MRI is pending.

One can see where he was hurting, and it is in the lower rib cartilage area.

Signs are Good for Justin Hebert

This is good news as no fracture and little risk of a punctured lung as evidenced by his flying back to Los Angeles with the team. Based on two decades of NFL team physician experience, I doubt spleen or internal organ damage.

Rib cartilage takes longer to heal due to poor blood supply. It is very painful because of the attached intercostal, oblique and abdominal muscle. One has to twist the torso to throw and that can be quite painful.

Rib fractures are most painful in the first 2-4 weeks. Cartilage injuries can linger longer for 4-6 weeks or more.

I am not suggesting that Herbert will miss games. I am stating that it will effect his practice time. Even with 10 days before the next game, this will be a pain management issue in practice.

Based on his toughness, one does not expect Herbert to miss game time. Of course he can have a rib intercostal block injection to numb the pain on game day. The question is whether he chooses to have it given the local history.

Rib Block Injections are not perfect

Ironically, Herbert’s career was jump started early his rookie season by a rib block injection to starter Tyrod Taylor gone awry. There are ways to safely perform this intercostal nerve block. Philip Rivers had multiple occasions to need these for rib fractures in my NFL tenure and it helped him with his record ironman streak.

Indeed, Herbert will be OK, but the rib cartilage injury will be a management issue for the young star and team.
                          “The question is whether he chooses to have it given the local history”—a shot at his replacement who punctured Taylor’s lung

Comment

Working...
                          X