Chargers at Browns Pregame Discussion (week 5)

Collapse
X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • jamrock
    lawyers, guns and money
    • Sep 2017
    • Send PM

Originally posted by Velo View Post

Moore has been with the Chargers four years, rotating between the PS and the regular roster. He has five catches for 99 yds. If he had NFL talent it we would know it by now. He's a PS level player, and that is all he will ever be on the pro level. His size might help as a blocker, but they only put him the game for four offensive snaps.

Why would you keep a player on the roster who you hardly use, then give your PS player, who you only elevate on game days, five times as many snaps?
    I’d rather see Reed than Moore. And Bandy over both

Comment

• Velo
      Ride!
      • Aug 2019
      • Everywhere
      • Leave the gun, take the cannolis
      • Send PM

Originally posted by jamrock View Post

I’d rather see Reed than Moore. And Bandy over both
      When Slayer returns there will be no need to elevate a player from the PS. So the way the roster is now, it will be Moore over Bandy on game day. I guess they see Moore as Guyton's replacement. If I were running things, the WR corps on the roster would be thus:

KA
      MW
      JP
      DC
      Bandy
      TBilly

Comment

• Bolt-O
        Administrator
        • Jun 2013
        • Send PM

Something I picked up reading the 'elevation from practice squad' rules. The maximum number of games a player can be elevated is three, and Bandy now has been elevated twice.

Comment

• Velo
          Ride!
          • Aug 2019
          • Everywhere
          • Send PM

Originally posted by Bolt-O View Post
          Something I picked up reading the 'elevation from practice squad' rules. The maximum number of games a player can be elevated is three, and Bandy now has been elevated twice.
          Interesting. I was also thinking there is some rules twist or financial reason for having Moore on the roster and keeping Bandy on the PS. I don't know what it could be, but often when something appears to make sense, there is a non-football reason for it that we as fans are not aware of.

Comment

• Velo
            Ride!
            • Aug 2019
            • Everywhere
            • Send PM

Yeah, they're going to have to make a decision after this game, what to do with Bandy. Another thing that makes me nervous about keeping Bandy on the PS is that if he continues to make plays in games another team will sign him off the PS.

Comment

• Topcat
              AKA "Pollcat"
              • Jan 2019
              • Send PM

Yeah, they're going to have to make a decision after this game, what to do with Bandy. Another thing that makes me nervous about keeping Bandy on the PS is that if he continues to make plays in games another team will sign him off the PS.
              Yep...unless the Bolts put Bandy on the PROTECTED PS...

Comment

• Velo
                Ride!
                • Aug 2019
                • Everywhere
                • Send PM

Originally posted by Topcat View Post

Yep...unless the Bolts put Bandy on the PROTECTED PS...
                But they aren't protected every day of the week. I think on Mondays even protected players can be poached.

Comment

• Topcat
                  AKA "Pollcat"
                  • Jan 2019
                  • Send PM

But they aren't protected every day of the week. I think on Mondays even protected players can be poached.
                  I think that would be if he's not on the protected PS from the previous week. Every Tuesday, NFL teams designate their FOUR protected PS players. But, if a player was on the protected PS from the previous week, I think he would be un-poachable, IF he is again placed on the protected PS:

"What control do teams have over their practice squad players?

One of the new rules is giving teams some limited ability to protect certain players on their practice squad. The old way of doing this would force a team to sign a player to their active roster to protect them from being signed by another franchise.

Now, beginning on each Tuesday, they can designate up to four players as protected from being signed by other teams."

The Denver Broncos will begin filling out their practice squad today. Here is what you need to know.

Comment

• Velo
                    Ride!
                    • Aug 2019
                    • Everywhere
                    • Send PM

Originally posted by Topcat View Post

I think that would be if he's not on the protected PS from the previous week. Every Tuesday, NFL teams designate their FOUR protected PS players. But, if a player was on the protected PS from the previous week, I think he would be un-poachable, IF he is again placed on the protected PS:

"What control do teams have over their practice squad players?

One of the new rules is giving teams some limited ability to protect certain players on their practice squad. The old way of doing this would force a team to sign a player to their active roster to protect them from being signed by another franchise.

Now, beginning on each Tuesday, they can designate up to four players as protected from being signed by other teams."

The Denver Broncos will begin filling out their practice squad today. Here is what you need to know.

I read another interpretation that says protected PS players can be poached on Mondays. It's really not fair to players, and doesn't sound legal to be honest, for a team to prevent a player from having an opportunity to better his position in the league and make more money. I'm surprised the Players Assoc would agree to it.

Comment

• cmplxgal
                      Registered Charger Fan
                      • Jul 2017
                      • New Jersey
                      • Send PM

What it is is that, after being elevated three times, a player has to be put on waivers to be returned to the practice squad. But I don't know what difference that makes in practical terms, since teams can already sign players off another team's practice squad.

Comment

• cmplxgal
                        Registered Charger Fan
                        • Jul 2017
                        • New Jersey
                        • Send PM

Originally posted by cmplxgal View Post
                        What it is is that, after being elevated three times, a player has to be put on waivers to be returned to the practice squad. But I don't know what difference that makes in practical terms, since teams can already sign players off another team's practice squad.
                        Actually, that may not be quite right. This source says that:

This year, the league adjusted the elevation system from a maximum of two times an individual player could be elevated to three times. After that, the player has to be added to the 53-man roster if the team wants to use him in a game.
                        https://www.thephinsider.com/2022/8/...elevation-2022

This source agrees:

Comment

• cmplxgal
                          Registered Charger Fan
                          • Jul 2017
                          • New Jersey
                          • Send PM

I read another interpretation that says protected PS players can be poached on Mondays.

This is always what I have read. Here's one source:

Poaching

Teams are allowed to poach players of another team’s practice squad if they are signing them to the active roster. A team can sign a player from their next upcoming opponent’s practice squad, but it must be done six days before the game, or 10 days if it is during the bye week. Teams can also protect up to four players on their practice squad to prevent them from being poached - though that goes into effect on Tuesday each week, so a player a teams wants to protect could still get signed by another team on Monday.

The 2022 NFL calendar is officially moving from the preseason to the start of the regular season. As of 4 p.m. ET on Tuesday, every team had to drop their roster size from 80 players down to the...

This source agrees:

Otherwise, if a team could protect four practice squad players continuously, the team would in effect have a 57-man roster.

Comment

Working...
                          X