• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Xenos
    Registered Charger Fan
    • Feb 2019
    • Send PM

Here’s more details about what happened.

Comment

• NoMoreChillies
      Outback Goon
      • Sep 2018
      • Australia
      • Send PM

Originally posted by Velo View Post
      Frustration over play time hastens Tillery's Chargers' exit

Jerry Tillery was already expected to be in his last season with the Los Angeles Chargers after the team declined to exercise his fifth-year option during the offseason. Tillery hit the NFL’s waiver wire on Friday after the team announced Thursday night they would release him. The defensive lineman was the Chargers’ first-round pick in 2019, going 28th overall in the NFL draft.

After Austin Johnson was lost for the year with a knee injury in last Sunday’s 20-17 win over the Atlanta Falcons, some figured Tillery would see his snaps increase. However, the Chargers were set to go a different route after signing Breiden Fehoko from the practice squad, along with practice squad player Joe Gaziano also making headway toward either being signed or being elevated to the gameday roster.

Staley noted that Tillery and the team had competing visions regarding his role moving forward.

“It just became clear that it wasn’t going to be a fit anymore,” Staley said. “We are going to give Breiden and Joe a chance to compete. With where we’re at and what we’re trying to do with our team — on the defensive line, our defense, on the whole team — trying to create competition and have guys earn their roles. That’s what we want to be here. When those things didn’t line up, we had to make a change.”
      From the horses mouth

Comment

• Fleet 1
        TPB Founder
        • Jun 2013
        • Kauai
        • Send PM

Originally posted by Fleet 1 View Post
        So we had trade offers....deny them....and then drop him. So yeah certain something dramatic is up with him...or him and the team/coaches/players etc. Maybe he was getting called out for sucking so bad by players...and it was just a toxic scene and a locker room downer. He just always seemed so cerebral. Much more than physical. I often questioned his work ethic. His desire to be great.

Sometimes he had a certain look in his eyes....and i would say to myself "I wonder what its like in there?"
        FhU4EHtWQAELiL2.jpeg

Comment

• Caslon
          Registered Charger Fan
          • Apr 2019
          • Send PM

Both Melvin Ingram and Verette (just retired) did well after leaving the Chargers. Tillery had a beef about playing time. He’ll most likely get picked up for the $2.2 million owed (budget acquisition) and maybe succeed with a change of scenery.

Comment

• Bolt-O
            Administrator
            • Jun 2013
            • Send PM

Tillery basically thought he already earned the position, and the coaches thought he had not, so he quit. Tillery was afraid of competition.

Comment

• lightsout42
              Hire a winning coach
              • Oct 2019
              • Send PM

Originally posted by Fleet 1 View Post
              I get that they had hope. But there was no data to support that hope and they could have acquired some value for him. They’re just bad businessmen.

Comment

• ChargersPowderBlue
                Registered Charger Fan
                • Aug 2019
                • Send PM

Originally posted by BayAreaBoltz View Post

This.

It continues to baffle me how most of us on this board KNEW Tillery shouldn't have made the roster this year, clamored for him to be tossed, but it takes our coaching staff 1/2 the season to pull the trigger. And at a point when injuries have raised our need for DL.

Their personnel moves and timing make no sense.
                Originally posted by Air Coryell View Post
                I don't really give a sh*t about Tillery. We all know he was a bad pick and should have been cut prior to this season. I want to know if we are bringing in anyone to help with our DL run stopping? Linval or someone?
                It's not like he didn't make good contributions on the defense. Tillery is/was better than his nay-sayers/haters say he is. He came through for the team in games, but people overlook it because they are clouded by their bias. A lot of people on this board and outside of this forum are biased against Tillery. Telesco also was on the decision to release Tillery. It was a group decision. The coaching staff saw value in him until this recent incident that caused them to go in a different direction.

This team is not that good on DL, even though they have Austin Johnson, Sebastian Joseph-Day, and Morgan Fox. It continues to be one of the team's achilles-heel. Having another DL who can rush the passer besides Fox would be great. Otito Ogbonnia is going to take time to develop, and the other guys don't get enough minutes.

Originally posted by Boltjolt View Post

We hear that often though. Its never come true and perhaps they even let those leak so to throw other teams off. I never got the sense we were going to pick a QB then with a high pick with the better QB class coming up in 2020. That 2019 QB class sucked.
                No one knew if we were going to pick a QB in the following year's draft, and move on from Rivers at that time. We didn't know that Herbert would turn out to be as good as he's become. There were people who were hating on the Herbert pick. And it wasn't until now that Tua is being seen in a better light.

Originally posted by Formula 21 View Post
                Even the most ardent Tillery supporters have now disappeared from this site.
                This fanbase always bemoans and get envious when an ex-Charger goes to another team and does well. Enjoy that.

Originally posted by Caslon View Post

Special teams vs. beer holder?
                No. For playing time and even being the starter.

Comment

• Fleet 1
                  TPB Founder
                  • Jun 2013
                  • Kauai
                  • Send PM

Originally posted by lightsout42 View Post
                  I get that they had hope. But there was no data to support that hope and they could have acquired some value for him. They’re just bad businessmen.
                  It all falls under John. Not gonna go on a huge anti JS tirade...he simply has to do better. I would prefer it just be someone else calling the shots. But it wont happen. Where is Tonya Harding these days?

Comment

• 21&500
                    Bolt Spit-Baller
                    • Sep 2018
                    • A Whale's Vajayjay
                    • CMB refugee
                    • Send PM

I read that as coaches (staley) vs Telesco
                    with staley winning the decision.

Could we see a rare situation where the HC is kept but the GM is replaced?

Is Daniel Jeremiah a fan of Brandon Staley?
                    G-Ro knows.

Comment

• beachcomber
                      & ramblin' man
                      • Jan 2019
                      • Send PM

smells like TBilly.... talent wise we coulda, woulda, shoulda kept 'em, and.... there's somethin' goin' on 'round here ??

sorry to see him go, as is a unique man of intrigue, and.... team Tommy John/Stalesco are finding they have less and less room for error.

and don't think our problem is the Dline.... not sold on our LBing.... Drue is a shadow in run D, and Murray @least sticks his nose in the trash and does his best to sort thru things, and.... we really don't have that guy @LB.... Roquan and/or a stellar draft selection.
                      5/11 Fuaga, 37 Kamari Lassiter, 40 Sinnott, 67 Bralen Trice, 69 Cedric Gray, 105 Jaylen Wright, 110 Braelon Allen, 140 Joe Milton, 181 Khristian Boyd, Tylan Grable, 225 Daijun Edwards, 253 Miyan Williams

Comment

• jamrock
                        lawyers, guns and money
                        • Sep 2017
                        • Send PM

Originally posted by Bolt-O View Post
                        Tillery basically thought he already earned the position, and the coaches thought he had not, so he quit. Tillery was afraid of competition.

He had played much more than the other guys and already beaten them out in camp so I think he probably thought he’d just slot in when Johnson went down. Then to learn he was going to compete again with a couple of UDFA’s his Norte Dame heart broke. He’s playing for his next contract this year and being a back up rotational DL wasn’t goi g to help

mg problem is that they could and should have traded him and got something/-anything in return. Now we’re thinner on DL

Comment

• Formula 21
                          The Future is Now
                          • Jun 2013
                          • Republic of San Diego
                          • Send PM

Time to move on. He did nothing in his time here, no reason to expect him to start now.
                          Now, if you excuse me, I have some Charger memories to suppress.
                          The Wasted Decade is done.
                          Build Back Better.

Comment

Working...
                          X