• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • powderblueboy
    Registered Charger Fan
    • Jul 2017
    • Send PM

Originally posted by Formula 21 View Post
    Time to move on. He did nothing in his time here, no reason to expect him to start now.
    I don't know if they win against Houston if he didn't make that 4rth quarter sack.
    Chargers were chargering big time up to that point.

I suspect Staley could have handled the situation better.
    Fehoko and Gaziano were not picked up by any other team for a reason.
    Tillery will get picked up.

Comment

• Velo
      Ride!
      • Aug 2019
      • Everywhere
      • Leave the gun, take the cannolis
      • Send PM

Five DTs went off the board in the first 20 picks in the 2019 draft. Only one has been a Pro Bowl player - Jeffrey Simmons - the 5th one picked at #19. Tillery was the sixth DT picked, at #28. The Chargers picked two DTs in that draft (Cortez Broughton in 7th). Neither are with the team. Broughton is out of football. Picks 2-5 in that draft were Adderley, Pipkins, Tranquill and Stick. Emeke Egbule, taken in the 6th round, is also out of football.

It appears Telesco's priorities in that draft were IDL, S, LB, OT and backup QB. But the strength of the draft were 2nd round WRs - Deebo Samuel, AJ Brown, Mecole Hardman, DK Metcalf. Dionte Johnson was taken with the 1st pick of the 3rd round, Terry McLauren two picks later. But having drafted Mike Williams No. 7 overall in 2017 and with Keenan Allen having put his injuries behind him and making Pro Bowls again, WR was not a priority.

I still maintain that if Telesco had not drafted Tillery he would've drafted Drew Lock, who went to Denver 14 picks later. So, a wasted pick it was, but I will always regard Tillery as the man who saved us from Drew Lock, which led to the drafting of Herbert.

Comment

• Berserker76
        Registered Charger Fan
        • Nov 2019
        • Send PM

Tillery must have been content with his effort because he sure didn't improve much over the years. He couldn't even motivate himself during a contract year, what does that tell you?

Comment

• Rambler
          Registered Charger Fan
          • Jun 2013
          • No Cal
          • Civil Research Attorney
          • Send PM

It sounds like Tillery expected that when Johnson went down he would start, and could parlay a decent half-year into a lucrative new contract with another team. When the coaching staff told him that he'd still be rotating in and out with players elevated from the practice squad, he sulked, and they cut him.

Honestly, if he'd played from the start of the year like a man deserving of a big contract, he would have been given more snaps. We've needed an inside pass rush for forever. We've been in a lot of 3rd and long situations this season, but without blitzing, and aside from an occasional push from Tillery or Fox, it's been Mack or nothing.

Tillery had his chances. He'll get picked up by someone else, but unless he decides to play harder and smarter, he'll just continue to tease with potential and meager production.

Comment

• Boltinloudguy
            Registered Charger Fan
            • Nov 2021
            • Send PM

I’m just confused why they didn’t at least get a 6th or 7th for him instead of nothing by waiving him after the deadline? Makes me bang my head a little more, especially the word on the street was a lot of teams were inquiring about him.

Comment

• Xenos
              Registered Charger Fan
              • Feb 2019
              • Send PM

Originally posted by powderblueboy View Post

I don't know if they win against Houston if he didn't make that 4rth quarter sack.

Well if he gets claimed than that’s good for us since they have to pay a portion of the salary cap money.

Comment

• Xenos
                Registered Charger Fan
                • Feb 2019
                • Send PM

Originally posted by Boltinloudguy View Post
                I’m just confused why they didn’t at least get a 6th or 7th for him instead of nothing by waiving him after the deadline? Makes me bang my head a little more, especially the word on the street was a lot of teams were inquiring about him.
                They probably thought he was worth more on the team than a 6th or 7th. And when he left this offseason, he could have still gotten them a comp pick. Who knew he was going to be a cancer essentially.

Comment

• nomad1946
                  Registered Charger Fan
                  • Jun 2017
                  • West Yellowstone, Montana
                  • Retired
                  • Send PM

Originally posted by Boltinloudguy View Post
                  I guess their crystal ball was out of commission. They just could not see into the future. I don't understand why you don't get into your time machine and tell them what is going to happen. :stirringshit:

Comment

• jaguarmanftype
                    Registered Charger Fan
                    • Nov 2020
                    • Send PM

I find it strange that we always seem to find and/or create malcontents every several years who just quit on the team or altogether. We've had Trevor Williams, Antonio Cromartie, Eric Weddle, Desmond King, Donald Butler, Jared Gaither, Jatavis Brown, and now Tillery. We've sent Adrian Phillips, Weddle, Nwosu, White, Cromartie and others packing, and they seemingly found new life afterwards.

Comment

• Boltinloudguy
                      Registered Charger Fan
                      • Nov 2021
                      • Send PM

Originally posted by nomad1946 View Post

I guess their crystal ball was out of commission. They just could not see into the future. I don't understand why you don't get into your time machine and tell them what is going to happen. :stirringshit:
                      No time machine needed when Tillery has been shit his whole career here. So I would have been happy to get a 6th or 7th for him this past summer.

Comment

• richpjr
                        Registered Charger Fan
                        • Jun 2013
                        • Nashville
                        • Send PM

Originally posted by jaguarmanftype View Post
                        I find it strange that we always seem to find and/or create malcontents every several years who just quit on the team or altogether. We've had Trevor Williams, Antonio Cromartie, Eric Weddle, Desmond King, Donald Butler, Jared Gaither, Jatavis Brown, and now Tillery. We've sent Adrian Phillips, Weddle, Nwosu, White, Cromartie and others packing, and they seemingly found new life afterwards.
                        Don’t really agree with this list. Weddle was the biggest whiner and Gaither was a slug but teams move on from players all the time. Nothing unusual.

Comment

• jamrock
                          lawyers, guns and money
                          • Sep 2017
                          • Send PM

Originally posted by powderblueboy View Post

Good point about Texans game.

look, if he gets picked up and turns into a stud we’re gonna have issues

Comment

Working...
                          X