JC Jackson Discussion - Was He a Locker Room Distraction?

Collapse
X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • richpjr
    Registered Charger Fan
    • Jun 2013
    • Nashville
    • Send PM

Originally posted by Riverwalk View Post

As often as starters get injured depth is a necessity, not a luxury, IMO.

Besides that…You think Linsley is going to last 3 more seasons?

And the DL was underwhelming even when they were healthy.
    Don't know how long Linsey will hold up. He is 31 so that is not that old for a lineman. And I agree about the importance of depth - can never have too much.

Comment

• dmac_bolt
      Day Tripper
      • May 2019
      • North of the Lagoon
      • Send PM

What positions don’t we need better depth? I agree C/G depth is priority, not OT as we have 4 linemen on the roster that can play OT, 3 are starter quality. A 5th OT is a luxury that robs from the rest of the roster.

C/G - now, there we don’t have depth. Go get it but after Rd2. Rd 1 & 2 should be significant contributors in yr1, not bench depth
      “Less is more? NO NO NO - MORE is MORE!”

Comment

• dmac_bolt
        Day Tripper
        • May 2019
        • North of the Lagoon
        • Send PM

Originally posted by richpjr View Post

Don't know how long Linsey will hold up. He is 31 so that is not that old for a lineman. And I agree about the importance of depth - can never have too much.
        This is still untrue as far as cliches go.

Comment

• richpjr
          Registered Charger Fan
          • Jun 2013
          • Nashville
          • Send PM

Originally posted by dmac_bolt View Post

This is still untrue as far as cliches go.
          Don't agree. With depth, we don't have big drop offs when starters get hurt (see Pipkins and Linsley). It also gives us the option of letting expensive vets move on when up and coming young players are ready.

Comment

• sonorajim
            Registered Charger Fan
            • Jan 2019
            • Send PM

Don't agree. With depth, we don't have big drop offs when starters get hurt (see Pipkins and Linsley). It also gives us the option of letting expensive vets move on when up and coming young players are ready.
            If it's lopsided, too much at one position, not enough at another, it can be too much.

QB- 1S, 2D add 1
            RB- 1S, 3D #1?- improve depth
            WR- 3S, 3D add speed- young talent *
            TE- 1S, 3D upgrade #1- depth *
            OL- 5S, 3D ( T, G/T, C/G) need C depth *
            DL- 3S, 2D could use a 3T*
            Ed- 2S, 3D Improve #3 *
            LB- 2S, 2D ?
            S- 2S, 3D DJ & who? JT Woods? *
            CB- 3S, 3D Sante, Davis & ? *
            ST- 3S

Look OK? * I have 7 needs.
            Last edited by sonorajim; 03-19-2023, 12:57 PM.

Comment

• richpjr
              Registered Charger Fan
              • Jun 2013
              • Nashville
              • Send PM

Originally posted by sonorajim View Post

If it's lopsided, too much at one position, not enough at another, it can be too much.

QB- 1S, 2D
              RB- 1S, 3D
              WR- 3S, 3D
              TE- 1S, 3D
              OL- 5S, 3D ( T, G/T, C/G)
              DL- 3S, 2D
              Ed- 2S, 3D
              LB- 2S, 2D
              S- 2S, 3D
              CB- 3S, 3D
              ST- 3S

Look OK?
              I'm not talking about the number of players, I am referring to the quality of the players. Being able to bring in someone like Salyer when an injury occurs vs bringing in someone like Clapp or Norton.

Comment

• dmac_bolt
                Day Tripper
                • May 2019
                • North of the Lagoon
                • Send PM

I didnt say depth isn’t good. I said the cliche “can’t have too much depth” is untrue. Try and think it through - it is untrue and I don’t mean to be impolite. A team could have too much depth at one position.

4 starting caliber QBs? Too much depth.
                5 starting caliber RBs? Too much depth
                3 quality PK? Too much depth

It’s a cliche, but it’s not true. My comments were based on statements we need for more Tackle depth. I don’t recall or remember who posted it, it was more than one, but but the theory “can’t have enough depth” applies anywhere. There are only 53 roster spots and $224M team cap to work within.

Chargers and their roster today - OT is not an urgent depth need unlike many other positions. At OT, behind Slater and Pipkins we have Salyer and Sarrell. Sarrell is mediocre but may develop more, he’s at “camp” and trying. 4 players with starting OT experience. Adding a 5th OT to the far end of the bench that is starter-capable means not adding depth (or a rotational player that gets significant snaps) somewhere else.

Positions with greater depth need:
                WR - who is behind Palmer? Nobody any good. Who is returning kicks?
                RB - Our RB group sucks if Eke is gone, it’s deficient with no power back if he’s here. need a Starter here
                LB - depth is poor - what do we really have? TPB is adamant K9 will suck - so … ?
                Edge - who is really behind Joey and Khalil? Rumph? Meh.
                TE - a couple scrubs behind Everett and Parham - and they are not top shelf to begin with
                CB - does JJ play? Who replaces Callahan?
                Even DT probably is greater need than OT

on and on … yes, we could have too much OT depth. Thats all I mean, it’s not that I don’t love OTs - of course I love OTs. I dream about OTs, yeah. But C/G depth is the critical gap on the OL, not T right now.

Comment

• dmac_bolt
                  Day Tripper
                  • May 2019
                  • North of the Lagoon
                  • Send PM

I'm not talking about the number of players, I am referring to the quality of the players. Being able to bring in someone like Salyer when an injury occurs vs bringing in someone like Clapp or Norton.
                  Too much, to us, sounds like quantity. Upgrading depth is a very different idea - we always agree with upgrading the team.

Comment

• gzubeck
                    Ines Sainz = Jet Bait!
                    • Jan 2019
                    • Tucson, AZ
                    • Send PM

I didnt say depth isn’t good. I said the cliche “can’t have too much depth” is untrue. Try and think it through - it is untrue and I don’t mean to be impolite. A team could have too much depth at one position.

4 starting caliber QBs? Too much depth.
                    5 starting caliber RBs? Too much depth
                    3 quality PK? Too much depth

It’s a cliche, but it’s not true. My comments were based on statements we need for more Tackle depth. I don’t recall or remember who posted it, it was more than one, but but the theory “can’t have enough depth” applies anywhere. There are only 53 roster spots and $224M team cap to work within.

Chargers and their roster today - OT is not an urgent depth need unlike many other positions. At OT, behind Slater and Pipkins we have Salyer and Sarrell. Sarrell is mediocre but may develop more, he’s at “camp” and trying. 4 players with starting OT experience. Adding a 5th OT to the far end of the bench that is starter-capable means not adding depth (or a rotational player that gets significant snaps) somewhere else.

Positions with greater depth need:
                    WR - who is behind Palmer? Nobody any good. Who is returning kicks?
                    RB - Our RB group sucks if Eke is gone, it’s deficient with no power back if he’s here. need a Starter here
                    LB - depth is poor - what do we really have? TPB is adamant K9 will suck - so … ?
                    Edge - who is really behind Joey and Khalil? Rumph? Meh.
                    TE - a couple scrubs behind Everett and Parham - and they are not top shelf to begin with
                    CB - does JJ play? Who replaces Callahan?
                    Even DT probably is greater need than OT

on and on … yes, we could have too much OT depth. Thats all I mean, it’s not that I don’t love OTs - of course I love OTs. I dream about OTs, yeah. But C/G depth is the critical gap on the OL, not T right now.
                    We would own the NFL for a half decade with all the trade possibilities.

Chiefs won the Superbowl with 10 Rookies....

"Locked, Cocked, and ready to Rock!" Jim Harbaugh

Comment

• wu-dai clan
                      Smooth Operation
                      • May 2017
                      • Send PM

It is encouraging to see videos of JC, hard at work on the rehab. I wish him much success.
                      We do not play modern football.

Comment

• dmac_bolt
                        Day Tripper
                        • May 2019
                        • North of the Lagoon
                        • Send PM

Originally posted by wu-dai clan View Post
                        It is encouraging to see videos of JC, hard at work on the rehab. I wish him much success.
                        yeah, saw that a week or so ago. No idea what his treadmill / whatever work means as far as a prognosis for football ready in Sept but I’m hoping the doomish gloomy “he’s dead” diagnoses most popular here in TPB were premature.

Comment

• Lefty2SLO
                          Moderate Skeptic
                          • May 2022
                          • Send PM

yeah, saw that a week or so ago. No idea what his treadmill / whatever work means as far as a prognosis for football ready in Sept but I’m hoping the doomish gloomy “he’s dead” diagnoses most popular here in TPB were premature.
                          We need him to be the JC Jackson that we paid for - I'm hoping he makes it back.

Comment

Working...
                          X