• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • boldarblood
    Charger Fan
    • Jun 2013
    • Send PM

Originally posted by Boltx View Post

Are we, Chargers fans, really criticizing a coach for an 8-8 playoff record????
    I am saying that Payton is not on the same level of Coaching as Reid, Belichick, and others. He had a first ballot HOF QB in Drew Brees and had that record. Look at what Belichick did with a first ballot HOF QB. Look at the record of Reid since getting Mahomes. He has many years to surpass what Payton accomplished.

It's nothing to do with a Chargers fan criticism of the record. I'm flat out saying he's as good of a Coach. Because he's not.

He's a good Coach, but not great. He's also the architect of Bounty Gate, paying players bonuses to intentionally injure opposing players.

He's not worth paying more than Belichick, Reid, etc for.

If you don't see the problems, that's a you problem.

Comment

• jamrock
      lawyers, guns and money
      • Sep 2017
      • Send PM

Payton had a 152-89 record at NO in 15 seasons. Basically a 10-6 average over 15 years. I’d take it

Comment

• BearWithJetpack
        Registered Charger Fan
        • Mar 2019
        • Send PM

I think Sean Payton is more Mike McCarthy than Andy Reid.

Comment

• charger1_sj
          Registered Charger Fan
          • Nov 2022
          • Send PM

Originally posted by boldarblood View Post

I am saying that Payton is not on the same level of Coaching as Reid, Belichick, and others. He had a first ballot HOF QB in Drew Brees and had that record. Look at what Belichick did with a first ballot HOF QB. Look at the record of Reid since getting Mahomes. He has many years to surpass what Payton accomplished.

It's nothing to do with a Chargers fan criticism of the record. I'm flat out saying he's as good of a Coach. Because he's not.

He's a good Coach, but not great. He's also the architect of Bounty Gate, paying players bonuses to intentionally injure opposing players.

He's not worth paying more than Belichick, Reid, etc for.

If you don't see the problems, that's a you problem.
          Reid has a 64% winning record. Payton 63%. They are in the same ball park. Difference is Reid has coached for a lot more years/games.
          Payton has 1 SB ring. Reid has 1 SB ring. BB had Brady the Goat. Doesn't look so hot now.

Comment

• BayAreaBoltz
            Chargers Hall of Fame
            • Sep 2019
            • Send PM

Originally posted by SK21209 View Post

Mike Tomlin is 8-9 in the playoffs, is he overrated too? How about Tony Dungy at 9-10?
            Yes. To both of them.

Comment

• BoltUp InLA
              Registered Charger Fan
              • Sep 2020
              • Send PM

Payton had a lot to do with Drew Brees reaching another level that we didn’t see with the Chargers. Payton also took over a Saints franchise that went through the Katrina tragedy and made the best of it, along with Brees. 63% winning over 15 years and a SB .. prob got robbed of another also.

I will take that type of high level consistency every time!

Comment

• Boltjolt
                Dont let the PBs fool ya
                • Jun 2013
                • Henderson, NV
                • Send PM

Originally posted by charger1_sj View Post

Reid has a 64% winning record. Payton 63%. They are in the same ball park. Difference is Reid has coached for a lot more years/games.
                Payton has 1 SB ring. Reid has 1 SB ring. BB had Brady the Goat. Doesn't look so hot now.
                Payton don't have Brees any longer. We'll see how he does with Wilson who is a big step down from Brees.
                11 Brock Bowers TE - Georgia (plus AZ 2025 1st)
                35 Kris Jenkins DT - Michigan
                37 Cooper Beebe OG -Kansas st
                66 Mike Sainristil CB - Michigan
                69 Jaylen Wright RB - Tenn or Blake Corum - Michigan
                100 Brenden Rice WR - USC (trade ⬆️w/ Wash for 2025 5th)
                110 Cedric Gray LB - N. Carolina
                140 Hunter Nourzad OC -Penn st
                181 Jarrian Jones CB - Florida st
                225 Cedrick Johnson Edge - Ol' Miss ➡️ 253 Fabien Lovett DT-FL st

Comment

• Eurobolt
                  *** Jim Harbaugh ***
                  • Sep 2018
                  • Send PM

Originally posted by Boltjolt View Post

Payton don't have Brees any longer. We'll see how he does with Wilson who is a big step down from Brees.
                  With defence like this past year and obvious upgrade at coaching and offensive playcalling I can se Broncos challenging us for PO spot and split division games with them.

Comment

• DerwinBosa
                    Registered Charger Fan
                    • Feb 2022
                    • Send PM

Originally posted by DerwinBosa View Post

On Colin Cowherd the other day Payton said New Orleans will take a mid-to-late first round pick in exchange for him. The Broncos have a late first-round pick after trading Bradley Chubb to Miami. The pick was originally San Francisco's; the 49ers gave it to the Dolphins to draft Trey Lance. The pick is currently #29. The Broncos could easily give up that pick, and if that's not enough they can add a mid-rounder. A first-round pick in the 25-32 range is nothing for the coach you want. You're more likely to get someone like Jerry Tillery in the late first round

While the Texans have more to offer in the draft, I find it hard to believe Payton would want to join that mess. Maybe he would like to fix Kyler Murray in Arizona, in a similar way he did with Drew Brees, but I imagine Murray's attitude is a major turnoff. The Panthers have the #9 pick in the first round and Sam Darnold as the starter.

Denver has the best reputation among the NFL franchises with an available opening. The Broncos also have an outstanding defense. Payton may think Russell Wilson has more in the tank than people believe. Payton did get homefield advantage in the playoffs with the Saints during Brees's last season, when Brees was totally in decline.

I could be wrong, but I think it's Denver or another year at FOX for Payton.
                    I will gladly rejoice in being right about this.

My choice has always been Harbaugh. I never wanted the overrated Payton, and now I don't have to hear about the possibility of him becoming the Chargers' head coach if Brandon Staley gets fired.

THANK YOU, DENVER!

Comment

• blueman
                      Registered Charger Fan
                      • Jun 2013
                      • Send PM

Originally posted by Eurobolt View Post

With defence like this past year and obvious upgrade at coaching and offensive playcalling I can se Broncos challenging us for PO spot and split division games with them.
                      With Wilson? Nope.

Comment

• jamrock
                        lawyers, guns and money
                        • Sep 2017
                        • Send PM

Originally posted by blueman View Post

With Wilson? Nope.
                        We were lucky to split with them with Hackett coaching them and Javonte Williams out for the season. If you don’t think they’re gonna be better with Payton and Williams back in the line up I have a stadium to sell ya

Comment

• blueman
                          Registered Charger Fan
                          • Jun 2013
                          • Send PM

Originally posted by jamrock View Post

We were lucky to split with them with Hackett coaching them and Javonte Williams out for the season. If you don’t think they’re gonna be better with Payton and Williams back in the line up I have a stadium to sell ya
                          I’m fine going head-to-head with them with BOTH teams healthy AND Payton as their HC, no problem. Wilson is trash and 2023 will be the nail in that coffin. Payton may be a good HC but he was an idiot to take that gig.

Comment

Working...
                          X