• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Boltnut
    Registered Charger Fan
    • Feb 2019
    • Send PM

Originally posted by powderblueboy View Post
    Last year they had a lot of money to spend in free agency.

So, i don't see their failure to sign a slot corner, or edge, this year as a sign of their direction round 1.
    Typically, a CB or EDGE player will cost you a lot in FA.
    Chargers got lucky to get Callahan and Van Noy on cheap, 1-year deals.
    The knock on Van Noy is age.
    The knock on Callahan is injury-related.

How come those guys are un-signed still...? Both were very productive last year. And it's not just the Chargers that haven't signed them in FA.
    Is it age? Is it injury? Is it a long-term solution via the draft?

Comment

• powderblueboy
      Registered Charger Fan
      • Jul 2017
      • Send PM

Originally posted by Boltnut View Post

While I love seeing JCJ working hard... he hasn't taken one cut or plant on that knee as of yet. We're 2 weeks away from the draft. Roll the dice if you like.
      If JCJ does recover fully (the odds are against him)... he can take over for Michael Davis (FA after 2023) in 2024.
      The smart play is using JCJ only in case of an injury to a 2023 starter... which, as we well know, is a possibility.
      You spent $80 million on a guy... only to rush him back?
      The Nancies don't even think he's any good.
      You mean Pauline Pollyanna doesn't think he's any good: the Nancies imagine him parking his butt on the bench until waived at the first possible opportunity.

I'm not a doctor, and no one here has any firm knowledge about the process, his timetable, the success of the procedure, his current state ......
      When someone says the odds are against him, i'd like that to be a current expert on the procedure.

Nor, am I opposed to drafting a cb: its just a question of when.

Besides, projections and then rolling the dice is what the draft is all about.
      You would be rolling the dice that Bosa/Mack can stay healthy.....if one goes down, who will generate a pass rush to help the other: your 2nd round draft pick?
      Good luck! Those guys need more exposure to the NFL than a rookie cb.

Comment

• powderblueboy
        Registered Charger Fan
        • Jul 2017
        • Send PM

Originally posted by Bolt4Knob View Post

Right. I thikn its a playmaker on offense. That doesn't mean you pass on top tier talent at CB or Edge. Hell, even OT (say a Skoronski or Paris J drop). That said, a playmaker on offense at RB or WR would be the top of the wish list. Though - that can also happen in R2 - R4 but with Tommy's track record - it probably won't be Round 3
        And he has to be dirt slow.

Comment

• Boltnut
          Registered Charger Fan
          • Feb 2019
          • Send PM

Originally posted by powderblueboy View Post

It hits all the buttons.

I like Derick Hall in the 2nd.
          Don't know squat about half your players: Gaines can sub at center perhaps when Clapp gets blown up.

I wouldn't hate Clark Phillips, but it seems like you are just redrafting Samuel.
          Not wild about his short arms and 33" vertical.

I don't see him taking away anyone vital on the Chief's offense, or pressuring Mahomes.

I wouldn't hate it, but .....
          He's a Callahan clone... almost to the nearest pound and inch. But his instincts are outstanding and he's much more of a playmaker (hence the 1st round grade)
          His arm length and vertical probably only only worry the pundits. His desire to be great and work ethic (intangibles) are more important to Staley.

I'd put him on Toney or Skyy (whoever they play at slot) and be worry-free.

Comment

• beachcomber
            & ramblin' man
            • Jan 2019
            • Send PM

Nutty, there seems to be an assumption on your part, that there is no Jack Jones/Nate Hobbs in this draft. you like the first 6 or 7 CBs on your board.... personally I like Cameron Brown and Julius Brents, and to resign Callahan, which is another move you seem mostly allergic to ??

also implicit in your testaments is that the added value from Kincaid is minimal compared to added value of Clark Phillips (over Callahan).

and fwiw.... don't think the any of Hyatt, Myles Murphy nor Bresee is gonna be off the board, and will all be there @21.... does that change anything for you ?? CP over the all of those ??

will also volunteer that none of the receivers are first rounders save for Addison (not worth the 21st pick), and ditto for the edge players save Van Ness (off the board).

would also suggest that all your back 7 guys are second rounders as well, as you can find Phillips in round three on more than a coupla few mocks (I know you like him better than the punditry @large).

and throw in the other two first rounders you volunteer, Mayer and Wright.... would further volunteer that not only is Kincaid the better get than the all of 'em, but that Gibbs and Darnell are better than any of the aforementioned as well.... how is it that you are not so fond of Darnell Washington, as some of us here prefer him over Michael Mayer ??

also wonder, for the if and when the either of your Clark Phillips or Drew Sanders were still there @54, where would you be looking @21, and does position of need ever fall off for just the straight up better player (outside of CB in the case of your eval this go 'round).... Myles Murphy ??

and w/holes @WR 4/5, TE2, RB1, 2 or 3IOL, NT, DT, DE/OLB & NB, am going to fill two of those holes w/known quantities in Van Noy and Callahan, and will agree that 'tis suspicious that they haven't resigned the either of 'em, and it would point to edge and slot corner as draft priorities, as both Kyle and Bryce are less filler and more essential to the mix @their positions than not.

you also claim to like the both of Moa and Hinton, and while eye and some others here woulda preferred we resigned Fehoko.

again, my preference is to minimize holes on the roster, and to go for the best player/Charger on the board, rather than fill holes by position of need.

am resigning Guyton and seeing if I can work out a deal w/Deandre Hopkins as well.

am not counting on the either of Parham nor McKitty to be anything more than what they have shown to date, and am also still adamant that we need an RB1, or @least someone who can shoulder some of the load between the tackles.

also think we need two OGs, one for the 53, and one for the ps, and would like someone new to hedge our counting on Clapp as our Linsley hedge, as am guessing that Corey might miss more games than last season ??

lotta variables, and my preference is to minimize those, and while maximizing Charger talent available in the draft, and w/an eye out for the longterm best interests of the LAC, and not just in filling short team needs, as justified by some rank 'n file listing by purported position of need.... just don't beleive that is the best strategem for longterm success, and don't believe it has served us well to date ??

and just to end around, we only get seven picks. 2 IOL, CB, S, NT, DT, TE.... ED/OLB & NB and even WR/RB may be unnecessary luxuries ??

5/11 Fuaga, 37 Kamari Lassiter, 40 Sinnott, 67 Bralen Trice, 69 Cedric Gray, 105 Jaylen Wright, 110 Braelon Allen, 140 Joe Milton, 181 Khristian Boyd, Tylan Grable, 225 Daijun Edwards, 253 Miyan Williams

Comment

• sonorajim
              Registered Charger Fan
              • Jan 2019
              • Send PM

How come those guys are un-signed still...? Both were very productive last year. And it's not just the Chargers that haven't signed them in FA.
              Patience. FA is option 2.

Comment

• beachcomber
                & ramblin' man
                • Jan 2019
                • Send PM

wondering if like Austin & MIke D., that Kyle 'n Bryce are still outta the Chargers budget atm ?? they both had pretty darn good years, and despite the age/injury concern considerations.... which are valid.
                5/11 Fuaga, 37 Kamari Lassiter, 40 Sinnott, 67 Bralen Trice, 69 Cedric Gray, 105 Jaylen Wright, 110 Braelon Allen, 140 Joe Milton, 181 Khristian Boyd, Tylan Grable, 225 Daijun Edwards, 253 Miyan Williams

Comment

• Boltnut
                  Registered Charger Fan
                  • Feb 2019
                  • Send PM

Originally posted by beachcomber View Post

wondering if like Austin & MIke D., that Kyle 'n Bryce are still outta the Chargers budget atm ?? they both had pretty darn good years, and despite the age/injury concern considerations.... which are valid.
                  It could be... I haven't heard anything about Bryce's or Kyle's asking price. Being veterans (and coming off of good years) I would assume they're looking to maximize their possible last NFL contracts. Maybe, like Nasir, their long-term health is more important than a 1-year cheap deal.

Comment

• beachcomber
                    & ramblin' man
                    • Jan 2019
                    • Send PM

Last year, TT/Staley had the option of signing a fairly good RG from FA.
                    But I think they saw several OG's in the draft that slotted to them (Kenyon Green, Zion Johnson).
                    This year, the obvious omission to the re-sign formula seems to be @slot (Callahan).
                    They've re-signed Fox... they brought in Kendricks (in place of Tranquill). Ostensibly, they drafted Adderly's replacement in JT Woods (jury still out).
                    They restructured 4 contracts (2@WR, 2@EDGE).
                    Their only obvious need is @slot corner... and a position that has a big number of possible BPA's...
                    It just fits logically... and follows prior draft tendencies.
                    not sure who the RG in FA was, as we already had Feiler on the books as our vet FA @OG.

from my perspective, there were plenty of other talents being considered @17, and.... all the deemed attractive wideouts were off the board come our pick, and the decision was made that Zion was the bpa, and not so much a drafting for position of need (some peoples thought we needed a RT moreso), even tho yes, we needed a RG, which am sure we were prepared to deal w/if we had gone receiver instead.

and agree w/the tendency bit.... lotta noise for a rotational ED, and makes alotta sense to draft a slot corner (still think Phillips is there @54).... if they don't plan on signing Callahan.

Comment

• Bolt4Knob
                      Registered Charger Fan
                      • Dec 2019
                      • Send PM

Its just not the Chargers - its every team

And my theory is the reason those players are not signed is because you don't want to duplicate positions before the draft. Even for a guy like KVN - if the Chargers draft Van Ness in Round 1 or spend high draft capital on Edge - maybe he will see less opportunity to play, and earn money. Plus the Chargers do not want to spend money on a veteran, like a signing bonus but the draft has a valued player show up.

So post draft and pre training camp is when a lot of veterans get signed

Comment

• beachcomber
                        & ramblin' man
                        • Jan 2019
                        • Send PM

Right. I thikn its a playmaker on offense. That doesn't mean you pass on top tier talent at CB or Edge. Hell, even OT (say a Skoronski or Paris J drop). That said, a playmaker on offense at RB or WR would be the top of the wish list. Though - that can also happen in R2 - R4 but with Tommy's track record - it probably won't be Round 3
                        how are you so convinced that Kincaid nor Darnell are not playmakers on O ??

and how are you convinced that Gibbs is not a first round playmaker @RB ?? not to mention he would well spell Ek come the season after next.

Comment

• beachcomber
                          & ramblin' man
                          • Jan 2019
                          • Send PM

Agreed

First five rounds need to check off the boxes:
                          Edge, CB, RB, TE and WR
                          no IDL/front 7 ?? and do you have IOL after that ??

Comment

Working...
                          X