• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • powderblueboy
    Registered Charger Fan
    • Jul 2017
    • Send PM

Originally posted by Ghost of Quacksaw View Post

The Mike Scifres pass to Mike Tolbert, out of punt formation, vs. the Broncos. It went for something like 35-40 yards.
    As long as it wasn't Weddle (God bless him) throwing out of punting formations.

Comment

• powderblueboy
      Registered Charger Fan
      • Jul 2017
      • Send PM

The guy has some pretty desirable tools, but going to Tight End University *now* will be "too little, too late" unless he's done some other work over the offseason.

Even if the results weren't spectacular, you could tell that Chris Rumpf had worked hard to build strength and weight during his first NFL offseason. IMO, McKitty can't capitalize any further on his physical gifts without applying himself more than he's done up to now (so far as we know, anyway). Like you, I wish him well.
      Technique and knowledge ..... it's not about building physical tools.
      One imagines McKitty is strong enough and agile enough to get into position

Some guys never get it; but in my oppinion, McKitty cat took a step backwards last season.
      I'll blame Lombardi and the staff for now.

Comment

• wu-dai clan
        Smooth Operation
        • May 2017
        • Send PM

The guy has some pretty desirable tools, but going to Tight End University *now* will be "too little, too late" unless he's done some other work over the offseason.

Even if the results weren't spectacular, you could tell that Chris Rumpf had worked hard to build strength and weight during his first NFL offseason. IMO, McKitty can't capitalize any further on his physical gifts without applying himself more than he's done up to now (so far as we know, anyway). Like you, I wish him well.
        Can ya feed Rumpfy a few more steaks please ?
        We do not play modern football.

Comment

• 21&500
          Bolt Spit-Baller
          • Sep 2018
          • A Whale's Vajayjay
          • CMB refugee
          • Send PM

Originally posted by powderblueboy View Post

Technique and knowledge ..... it's not about building physical tools.
          One imagines McKitty is strong enough and agile enough to get into position

Some guys never get it; but in my oppinion, McKitty cat took a step backwards last season.
          I'll blame Lombardi and the staff for now.
          Don't forget "mentality"
          No is no shortage of NFL prospects with "physical tools"
          More rare are those with "technique and knowledge"
          But imho what seperates those who thrive (particularly as blockers) is the mentality, the Lo-Neal mentality.
          so so rare. You can see it clearly with some TEs and Backs.
          I'm not holding out hope on McKitty unless Moore can work a miracle.
          P1. Block Destruction - Ogbonnia
          P2. Shocking Effort - Eboigbe
          P3. Ball Disruption - Ford
          P4. Obnoxious Communication - Matlock

Comment

• 21&500
            Bolt Spit-Baller
            • Sep 2018
            • A Whale's Vajayjay
            • CMB refugee
            • Send PM

Originally posted by wu-dai clan View Post

Can ya feed Rumpfy a few more steaks please ?
            I can host him to a well beat piece of chuck, salted and marinated in worchestshire and soy sauce.
            air fryer for conveniconve.
            Eats like a poor man's ribeye.
            P1. Block Destruction - Ogbonnia
            P2. Shocking Effort - Eboigbe
            P3. Ball Disruption - Ford
            P4. Obnoxious Communication - Matlock

Comment

• dmac_bolt
              Day Tripper
              • May 2019
              • North of the Lagoon
              • Send PM

Based on the above post, I am now 100% convinced that you are being honest and sincere, and that your previous posts contained no passive-aggressive, contemptuous remarks.

<pause>

Bahahahahahhahahahhahahahahhha!!!!!!
              I appreciate that, you’re the best. Lol … let’s laugh together!
              “Less is more? NO NO NO - MORE is MORE!”

Comment

• wu-dai clan
                Smooth Operation
                • May 2017
                • Send PM

Originally posted by 21&500 View Post

I can host him to a well beat piece of chuck, salted and marinated in worchestshire and soy sauce.
                air fryer for conveniconve.
                Eats like a poor man's ribeye.
                I'm there.
                Make Chris fat.
                We do not play modern football.

Comment

• Ghost of Quacksaw
                  Beef Before Gazelles
                  • May 2021
                  • Send PM

Originally posted by Velo View Post
                  Somebody out there thinks CB Tiawan Mullen, brother of Trayvon, is going to be a UDFA find for the Chargers. https://lastwordonsports.com/nfl/202...eles-chargers/
                  Interesting that-- according to the writer-- Ja'sir Taylor is the guy with whom he's most competing for time, essentially.

Comment

• Ghost of Quacksaw
                    Beef Before Gazelles
                    • May 2021
                    • Send PM

Originally posted by 21&500 View Post

Don't forget "mentality"
                    No is no shortage of NFL prospects with "physical tools"
                    More rare are those with "technique and knowledge"
                    But imho what seperates those who thrive (particularly as blockers) is the mentality, the Lo-Neal mentality.
                    so so rare. You can see it clearly with some TEs and Backs.
                    I'm not holding out hope on McKitty unless Moore can work a miracle.
                    I've heard it said by guys who played the game that "love of contact" is what most often separates the men from the boys on the field. And, no doubt-- I *get* that making contact with Ray Lewis-type contact lovers would be no easy thing.

Pretty rare that a player who DOESN'T have that love of contact makes the Hall of Fame. Kellen Winslow and Deion Sanders serve as examples.

My impression is that-- unless a player *has* that love of contact, his *WILL* eventually gets beat out of him. Generally speaking, football isn't a game you can play successfully while trying to avoid contact. You have to find a way to relish it. You can see how it would appeal to the anti-social part of a guy's personality or wiring.

Over a period of several years (when I was writing), I asked at least five players some version of the following question:

Q: When you were in high school, you excelled in basketball, baseball and football. What led to football being the sport you chose?

Every single time, the answer was the same: "Are you kidding me?!? It was the opportunity to hit somebody in the face, and not get in trouble for it!!!"

Comment

• Topcat
                      AKA "Pollcat"
                      • Jan 2019
                      • Send PM

Interesting that-- according to the writer-- Ja'sir Taylor is the guy with whom he's most competing for time, essentially.
                      If Mullen can tackle better than Jasir, that's a plus...

Comment

• sonorajim
                        Registered Charger Fan
                        • Jan 2019
                        • Send PM

I've heard it said by guys who played the game that "love of contact" is what most often separates the men from the boys on the field. And, no doubt-- I *get* that making contact with Ray Lewis-type contact lovers would be no easy thing.

Pretty rare that a player who DOESN'T have that love of contact makes the Hall of Fame. Kellen Winslow and Deion Sanders serve as examples.

My impression is that-- unless a player *has* that love of contact, his *WILL* eventually gets beat out of him. Generally speaking, football isn't a game you can play successfully while trying to avoid contact. You have to find a way to relish it. You can see how it would appeal to the anti-social part of a guy's personality or wiring.

Over a period of several years (when I was writing), I asked at least five players some version of the following question:

Q: When you were in high school, you excelled in basketball, baseball and football. What led to football being the sport you chose?

Every single time, the answer was the same: "Are you kidding me?!? It was the opportunity to hit somebody in the face, and not get in trouble for it!!!"
                        I believe most receivers would rather never get touched. TD every play.
                        QB- Nope.Keep your effin meat hooks off me.
                        OL-DL-Edge thrive on contact.
                        RB- over you or around you I'm coming through. Preferably around mostly.
                        TE- am I a blocker or a receiver?
                        LB - DB- pick, PD, forced fumble are high atop the list but you ain't going by me with that football.

Comment

• Lefty2SLO
                          Moderate Skeptic
                          • May 2022
                          • Send PM

The writer also makes an interesting point about why Bryce Callahan (maybe) has not been brought back into the fold. Hard to rely on UDFA's until they've proven themselves, but I'll root for him . . . . . . . . . can never have enough GOOD defensive backs.

Comment

Working...
                          X