• Show
Clear All
  • BayAreaBoltz
    Chargers Hall of Fame
    • Sep 2019
    • Send PM

Originally posted by Bolt4Knob View Post

I think he is a better HC than Staley. See what Staley does in year 3
    Riverboat Ron has been coaching for eleven years and has a total of only three winning seasons. He was fired after week 13 in his last season in Carolina. I don't see anything in him that makes me think he's a solid strategic coach or would have moved the needle for us.

Comment

• BayAreaBoltz
      Chargers Hall of Fame
      • Sep 2019
      • Send PM

Originally posted by gzubeck View Post

That's what supersmart assistant coaches are for...We traded Rivera for Mike McCoy....
      Rivera must have only had "supersmart ac's" three of his eleven coaching years.

Comment

• gzubeck
        Ines Sainz = Jet Bait!
        • Jan 2019
        • Tucson, AZ
        • Send PM

Originally posted by QSmokey View Post

That's also a lot. I guess you can reason that Ekeler is gone after this year - almost certainly - so might as well get something for him while he's still under contract. But, man...giving up draft picks. For a team with SOOOOOO many needs. Just doesn't seem the best way to proceed. Particularly since Telesco is making the picks in the later rounds. JT Woods/Isiah Spiller, anyone?
        I don't agree with it...I'm just saying that's the max I would consider. Seattle doesn't need to draft an RB so maybe they feel they can get additional pick and ekeler fills a different role on the team. I'd rather just trade ekeler plus our second for Kenny Walker than give up our first.
        Chiefs won the Superbowl with 10 Rookies....

"Locked, Cocked, and ready to Rock!" Jim Harbaugh

Comment

• Topcat
          AKA "Pollcat"
          • Jan 2019
          • Send PM

Originally posted by Velo View Post

We could do a whole thread on AJ failures later in his tenure. The worst IMO was LB Jonas Mouton in the 2nd round of the 2011 draft. An absolutely ridiculous pick. Aj took him at 61 overall and allowed Justin Houston to fall to the Chiefs at 70 overall.

Another horrendous pick was LB Anthony Waters in 2007 in the 3rd round, 96 overall. What makes this pick particularly galling is that it was the comp pick received for the departure of Drew Brees. Although, in fairness, the pickings were pretty slim that late in the 3rd round of that draft.

But both Mouton and Waters were absolutely useless picks.
          To make it worse, Waters was injured when drafted, and never really recovered...meanwhile, a few picks later in round 4, the Giants drafted LB Zak DeOssie, a probowler...oops...

Comment

• Topcat
            AKA "Pollcat"
            • Jan 2019
            • Send PM

Originally posted by gzubeck View Post

I'm just not giving up more than our 1st, 2nd, and Ekeler for the #5 pick.
            Yep...better to stay at #21...that #5 overall pick will command bank $$$, and we're in cap hell...need bargains now...better to trade Ekkie straight up for maybe a 3rd rounder...

Comment

• gzubeck
              Ines Sainz = Jet Bait!
              • Jan 2019
              • Tucson, AZ
              • Send PM

Originally posted by BayAreaBoltz View Post

Rivera must have only had "supersmart ac's" three of his eleven coaching years.
              Really bad QB play plus not very good OC's attached to him. Will be really telling to see what eric Bienemy brings to the table this season.
              Chiefs won the Superbowl with 10 Rookies....

"Locked, Cocked, and ready to Rock!" Jim Harbaugh

Comment

• beachcomber
                & ramblin' man
                • Jan 2019
                • Send PM

Originally posted by Boltnut View Post

Wow! That would be a lot of draft capital. This year's 1st, next year's 1st, and Ekeler?
                I kind of like this year's 1st and next year's 1st.

Nail down the secondary (and plan for Michael Davis departure next year) with this year's 1st (a real nice cluster of DB/CB @#21).
                Next year's 1st can be used to replace Keenan or Khalil (because you know salary moves are coming).
                Use Ekeler's production to make a SB push this year. Pair him with a 2-4 round RB (Kelley to be a FA in 2024).
                know alotta folks here are raising the flag on Keenan 'n Khalil, and I think mostly due to their age, and.... personally am of the suspicion that the better trim of the roster/cap would be Bosa 'n MW.

and know you have your CB fetish, and again.... know that one of my first two picks next go 'round is gonna be @the OC/IOL.

as mentioned in another post, not sure you can take the trio of JC Jack, Asante and Callahan off the table quite yet.... ??
                5/11 Fuaga, 37 Kamari Lassiter, 40 Sinnott, 67 Bralen Trice, 69 Cedric Gray, 105 Jaylen Wright, 110 Braelon Allen, 140 Joe Milton, 181 Khristian Boyd, Tylan Grable, 225 Daijun Edwards, 253 Miyan Williams

Comment

• Boltnut
                  Registered Charger Fan
                  • Feb 2019
                  • Send PM

Originally posted by beachcomber View Post

know alotta folks here are raising the flag on Keenan 'n Khalil, and I think mostly due to their age, and.... personally am of the suspicion that the better trim of the roster/cap would be Bosa 'n MW.

and know you have your CB fetish, and again.... know that one of my first two picks next go 'round is gonna be @the OC/IOL.

as mentioned in another post, not sure you can take the trio of JC Jack, Asante and Callahan off the table quite yet.... ??
                  Keenan and Mack seem the smart move because of age.

I love that JCJ is working so hard to come back. But we're 2 weeks away... and JCJ hasn't taken a cut on that knee.
                  No way in hell am I restructuring everyone just to field 2 NFL ready CB's in a conference that has Patrick Mahommes, Joe Burrow, and Josh Allen.
                  I'm nailing down the secondary. If I was over-zealous (and JCJ is back 100% by mid-season)... I'm glad I have a CB in place to replace Michael Davis in 2024.

We have starters at every position except slot-corner (and maybe FS)... don't be surprised if that was by design. LOTS of REALLY good CB's there @#21. Just saying... BPA meets PON.

Comment

• blueman
                    Registered Charger Fan
                    • Jun 2013
                    • Send PM

Originally posted by Boltnut View Post

Keenan and Mack seem the smart move because of age.

I love that JCJ is working so hard to come back. But we're 2 weeks away... and JCJ hasn't taken a cut on that knee.
                    No way in hell am I restructuring everyone just to field 2 NFL ready CB's in a conference that has Patrick Mahommes, Joe Burrow, and Josh Allen.
                    I'm nailing down the secondary. If I was over-zealous (and JCJ is back 100% by mid-season)... I'm glad I have a CB in place to replace Michael Davis in 2024.

We have starters at every position except slot-corner (and maybe FS)... don't be surprised if that was by design. LOTS of REALLY good CB's there @#21. Just saying... BPA meets PON.
                    Ya know, this could be the way.

Comment

• Lefty2SLO
                      Moderate Skeptic
                      • May 2022
                      • Send PM

Originally posted by beachcomber View Post

Unless he stays healthy and balls out this year he'd be the first guy to go if I had anything to say about it . . . . . .

Comment

• beachcomber
                        & ramblin' man
                        • Jan 2019
                        • Send PM

8. Bryce Callahan, CB

Over the past few seasons, Callahan has quietly been one of the most effective slot cornerbacks in the NFL.

In 2020, he allowed a passer rating of only 47.8 when targeted, which was the lowest in the NFL.

In 2021, he had another great season for the Denver Broncos. In 11 games, he allowed a completion percentage of 56.8 percent, which was eight percent lower than the league average.

During the 2022 offseason, Callahan signed a one-year deal with the Los Angeles Chargers. He went on to play in 15 games and played 586 defensive snaps. In pass coverage, he gave up a passer rating of 80.0. It was 9.1 points below the league average and the second-best mark among the Chargers’ defensive backs. In addition, he came up with a career-high three interceptions.

Callahan is not the flashiest player. He stands at only 5-foot-9, and his last contract was for $1.27 million. Nevertheless, his numbers are consistently excellent. He would be a great under-the-radar addition to the Cowboys’ secondary.
                        Enter Bryce Callahan. The veteran free agent would be a perfect addition for the Saints.

New Orleans could use consistent work from a slot CB that allows Lattimore and Taylor to get reps outside. Callahan provides exactly that, and at his age of 31, his price tag shouldn't be too high for the Saints.

​NFL.com named him as one of the top remaining free agents on the market currently.
                        Injuries threatened Callahan's career before a resurgent 2022 season with the Chargers playing the slot.

Callahan had a solid season for the Chargers last season. He recorded 3 interceptions in eleven starts.

It was a solid bounce back campaign, and he stayed healthy for the most part.

The Saints need to cause more turnovers after struggling in that department a season ago. Callahan would play a role in that and provide veteran leadership for the young players on defense, too.
                        5/11 Fuaga, 37 Kamari Lassiter, 40 Sinnott, 67 Bralen Trice, 69 Cedric Gray, 105 Jaylen Wright, 110 Braelon Allen, 140 Joe Milton, 181 Khristian Boyd, Tylan Grable, 225 Daijun Edwards, 253 Miyan Williams

Comment

• beachcomber
                          & ramblin' man
                          • Jan 2019
                          • Send PM

Screenshot 2023-04-09 194407.jpg

Comment

Working...
                          X