• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Bolt4Knob
    Registered Charger Fan
    • Dec 2019
    • Send PM

Originally posted by powderblueboy View Post

At the time, my mood was that of staunch opposition to the entire draft process: all rounds entirely.
    No offense intended.

We will be fine without the rooks. Go Chargers!
    If there is a true difference maker, like top 15 talent (not QB) - but at TE, WR, Bijan or even CB - and there is such a talent gap between that player and the next player on the board - take that player for sure. I would prefer that player to be WR or Bijan -- but drafting the 19th player on your board at 21 when they are closer in draft grade to 25 than 17 - thats where it gets murkier for me

Comment

• powderblueboy
      Registered Charger Fan
      • Jul 2017
      • Send PM

Originally posted by Boltnut View Post
      I get that there are good DB's in the 2nd and 3rd rounds. But for me, I see a CB/DB as the BPA @#21.
      I also assume that Bijan, Quentin, and Jaxon are off the board... along with OT's Skoronski, Johnson, and Jones.

Here is my list of prospects probably off the board...

QB: Stroud, Young, Richardson, Levis (need pick)
      WR: Quentinn, Jaxson, Hyatt (maybe)
      RB: Bijan
      OT: Skoronski, Paris, Jones

EDGE: Anderson, Murphy, Wilson
      IDL: Carter, Bresee (maybe)
      CB: Porter Jr, Witherspoon, Gonzalez, Branch

That's 20 players... these are players that regularly go top-20 in mocks... or are ranked by pundits

Best Players Possible IMO:

WR: Addison, Flowers, Downs
      TE: Kincaid, Mayer
      OT: Wright
      RB: Gibbs

EDGE: Smith (probably 4-3 OLB), Ojulari, McDonald, Foskey, Anudike-Uzomah, Van Ness (over-rated IMO)
      CB: Phillips, Ringo, Banks
      LB: Simpson, Sanders

My cluster: Phillips, Wright, Banks, Addison, Flowers, Simpson, Kincaid, Sanders

My understanding is that the Chargers have met/shown interest in Addison and Flowers. These guys might be at the top of their list (as far as guys they think will be available). But IMO, Clark Phillips is a better player that Addison (see their matchup in 2002). And I ran into an interesting quote when scouting Phillips...
      "He's a self-starter who desires to be great" -AFC WEST COAST SCOUT-

IMO, he has the best instincts of all of the CB's. He reads/reacts as well as any of the top CB's. He's a film junkie that understands formations, tendencies, and routes. He beats receivers to their spots often (as evidenced by his nation-leading 6 interceptions last year). Of his 9 career interceptions, 4 of them have been pick-sixes. So he has ball skills and playmaker abilities. Game-changer. The pundits will knock him for his stature... or say that he is "slot-only". But we all know that Staley doesn't shy away from CB's just because they don't fit size requirements (see Rams). We all know that Staley values instincts, football IQ, and work ethic... And we all know which lone-starting roll is vacant ATM... slot-corner.

Do we need depth @RB, WR, Edge, TE, LB...? Absolutely! But those positions are as deep (if not deeper) than CB. Quality RB, WR, and TE are regularly found in the mid-rounds. Kellen Moore regularly used Tony Pollard (late 4th round) and Dalton Schultz (late 4th round) in Dallas. Our best WR (Allen) is a 3rd rounder... The Edge class is super deep (see available EDGE above).

If we're going to adhere to BPA draft philosophy... then IMO, Clark Phillips is that guy. Shake off the pundits pre-conceptions about Clark Phillips. Clark Phillips is my Abraham Lucas (circa 2023).
      Enjoy the videos and music you love, upload original content, and share it all with friends, family, and the world on YouTube.

More Jordan Addison: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RwRcKV6OIVA&list=PLtgKfr6wMuetIfYCPVCWdN4xsNwDjSdEWMore Clark Phillips III: https://youtube.com/playlist...
      Never opposed to taking bpa in the first: if its a cb, fine!

Comment

• charger1_sj
        Registered Charger Fan
        • Nov 2022
        • Send PM

The Chargers are sending out signals that they will be drafting for offensive weapons for Herbert. Soooo don't be surprise if one or both of our picks in
        rounds 1, 2 are for the defense. It is after all the month of lying.

Comment

• gzubeck
          Ines Sainz = Jet Bait!
          • Jan 2019
          • Tucson, AZ
          • Send PM

Originally posted by charger1_sj View Post
          The Chargers are sending out signals that they will be drafting for offensive weapons for Herbert. Soooo don't be surprise if one or both of our picks in
          As long as rounds 3-5 are RBs and receivers I'm good with that!
          Chiefs won the Superbowl with 10 Rookies....

"Locked, Cocked, and ready to Rock!" Jim Harbaugh

Comment

• Bolt4Knob
            Registered Charger Fan
            • Dec 2019
            • Send PM

Originally posted by gzubeck View Post

As long as rounds 3-5 are RBs and receivers I'm good with that!
            Agreed

First five rounds need to check off the boxes:
            Edge, CB, RB, TE and WR

Comment

• powderblueboy
              Registered Charger Fan
              • Jul 2017
              • Send PM

What if by some strange chance murphy is still on the board? I mean crap we could always move our second rounder up to grab phillips.
              The San Francisco model values dline over cb and linebacker.
              They seem to have done fine.

Bosa, Tillery, Attoachu, Nwosu, Jones, .....the only Dlinemen taken before day 3.
              Nwosu was probably drafted to be a Sam, so you can discount that draft pick.
              Tillery shouldn't count: blinded by his Notre Dame allegiance.
              Most here hated the pick at the time.

Telesco has undervalued Dlinemen in his drafts.
              His defenses have always struggled just to be average.

He prefers drafting inside linebackers high for some reason: Teo, Perryman, Murray
              San francisco has the opposite strategy.

Telesco's seems to be a failed draft philosophy. Yeah, take Murphy over Boltnut's beloved cbs.

Comment

• Boltnut
                Registered Charger Fan
                • Feb 2019
                • Send PM

What if by some strange chance murphy is still on the board? I mean crap we could always move our second rounder up to grab phillips.
                If Murphy is on the board... hell yeah, I'd pick him. Then I would cross fingers for a good, starting caliber CB to still be there in the 2nd.
                I really hesitate trading up in this draft... rounds 2-5 are loaded with talent. At the very least, very good depth.

Comment

• gzubeck
                  Ines Sainz = Jet Bait!
                  • Jan 2019
                  • Tucson, AZ
                  • Send PM

If Murphy is on the board... hell yeah, I'd pick him. Then I would cross fingers for a good, starting caliber CB to still be there in the 2nd.
                  I really hesitate trading up in this draft... rounds 2-5 are loaded with talent. At the very least, very good depth.
                  I think he stupidly drops like Derwin and supermel. Here's to wishful thinking as Simms doesn't even have him in his top 5.
                  Chiefs won the Superbowl with 10 Rookies....

"Locked, Cocked, and ready to Rock!" Jim Harbaugh

Comment

• Boltnut
                    Registered Charger Fan
                    • Feb 2019
                    • Send PM

Originally posted by charger1_sj View Post
                    I hope you're right.
                    Right now, my top desires are CB and EDGE. Mainly because I think those positions are deep... and will be the BPA in rounds 1 and 2.
                    Plus, I like some WR's, RB's, and TE's in the 3rd, 4th, and 5th rounds.

Comment

• Boltnut
                      Registered Charger Fan
                      • Feb 2019
                      • Send PM

I think he stupidly drops like Derwin and supermel. Here's to wishful thinking as Simms doesn't even have him in his top 5.
                      I like Simms... he's helpful.
                      Whatever he says is usually the opposite.

Comment

• chargeroo
                        Fan since 1961
                        • Jan 2019
                        • Oregon
                        • Retired Manager/Pastor
                        • Send PM

I get that there are good DB's in the 2nd and 3rd rounds. But for me, I see a CB/DB as the BPA @#21.
                        I also assume that Bijan, Quentin, and Jaxon are off the board... along with OT's Skoronski, Johnson, and Jones.

Here is my list of prospects probably off the board...

QB: Stroud, Young, Richardson, Levis (need pick)
                        WR: Quentinn, Jaxson, Hyatt (maybe)
                        RB: Bijan
                        OT: Skoronski, Paris, Jones

EDGE: Anderson, Murphy, Wilson
                        IDL: Carter, Bresee (maybe)
                        CB: Porter Jr, Witherspoon, Gonzalez, Branch

That's 20 players... these are players that regularly go top-20 in mocks... or are ranked by pundits

Best Players Possible IMO:

WR: Addison, Flowers, Downs
                        TE: Kincaid, Mayer
                        OT: Wright
                        RB: Gibbs

EDGE: Smith (probably 4-3 OLB), Ojulari, McDonald, Foskey, Anudike-Uzomah, Van Ness (over-rated IMO)
                        CB: Phillips, Ringo, Banks
                        LB: Simpson, Sanders

My cluster: Phillips, Wright, Banks, Addison, Flowers, Simpson, Kincaid, Sanders

My understanding is that the Chargers have met/shown interest in Addison and Flowers. These guys might be at the top of their list (as far as guys they think will be available). But IMO, Clark Phillips is a better player that Addison (see their matchup in 2002). And I ran into an interesting quote when scouting Phillips...
                        "He's a self-starter who desires to be great" -AFC WEST COAST SCOUT-

IMO, he has the best instincts of all of the CB's. He reads/reacts as well as any of the top CB's. He's a film junkie that understands formations, tendencies, and routes. He beats receivers to their spots often (as evidenced by his nation-leading 6 interceptions last year). Of his 9 career interceptions, 4 of them have been pick-sixes. So he has ball skills and playmaker abilities. Game-changer. The pundits will knock him for his stature... or say that he is "slot-only". But we all know that Staley doesn't shy away from CB's just because they don't fit size requirements (see Rams). We all know that Staley values instincts, football IQ, and work ethic... And we all know which lone-starting roll is vacant ATM... slot-corner.

Do we need depth @RB, WR, Edge, TE, LB...? Absolutely! But those positions are as deep (if not deeper) than CB. Quality RB, WR, and TE are regularly found in the mid-rounds. Kellen Moore regularly used Tony Pollard (late 4th round) and Dalton Schultz (late 4th round) in Dallas. Our best WR (Allen) is a 3rd rounder... The Edge class is super deep (see available EDGE above).

If we're going to adhere to BPA draft philosophy... then IMO, Clark Phillips is that guy. Shake off the pundits pre-conceptions about Clark Phillips. Clark Phillips is my Abraham Lucas (circa 2023).
                        Enjoy the videos and music you love, upload original content, and share it all with friends, family, and the world on YouTube.

More Jordan Addison: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RwRcKV6OIVA&list=PLtgKfr6wMuetIfYCPVCWdN4xsNwDjSdEWMore Clark Phillips III: https://youtube.com/playlist...
                        I think we are full up on starters except for CB and S. Looking back at TTs previous draft, he has always taken the best player available at a position of need, so Boltnut may be on to something here. A CB may well be the pick.
                        THE YEAR OF THE FLIP!

Comment

• sonorajim
                          Registered Charger Fan
                          • Jan 2019
                          • Send PM

Originally posted by powderblueboy View Post

The San Francisco model values dline over cb and linebacker.
                          They seem to have done fine.

Bosa, Tillery, Attoachu, Nwosu, Jones, .....the only Dlinemen taken before day 3.
                          Nwosu was probably drafted to be a Sam, so you can discount that draft pick.
                          Tillery shouldn't count: blinded by his Notre Dame allegiance.
                          Most here hated the pick at the time.

Telesco has undervalued Dlinemen in his drafts.
                          His defenses have always struggled just to be average.

He prefers drafting inside linebackers high for some reason: Teo, Perryman, Murray
                          San francisco has the opposite strategy.

Telesco's seems to be a failed draft philosophy. Yeah, take Murphy over Boltnut's beloved cbs.
                          There are a variety of opinions about who runs the Chargers draft. Many of us think Staley gets a full yea or nay vote and that he will confer with his staff & friends.
                          My opinion is that the draft & FA have been different since Staley came on board, making pre-Staley draft tendencies immaterial.
                          Staley values CBs and DB depth- which was an obvious need vs Jax in particular. So there's that.
                          I further extrapolate that Staley and Telesco want to feature Herbert in new OC Moore's offense and will have an eye on offensive stars. So, there's that.
                          IMO we are drafting TE - WR- DB early in order of BPA when on the clock.
                          Murphy would probably be the same kind of deal breaker as Bijan.Not likely to be there. Too good to pass on..

Comment

Working...
                          X