• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • C’monchargers
    Registered Charger Fan
    • Aug 2019
    • Send PM

Originally posted by Topcat View Post

Let K9 be the designated spy on Mahomes...that's simple enough, right?
    Why not? Let’s not pretend we got something to lose here

Comment

• C’monchargers
      Registered Charger Fan
      • Aug 2019
      • Send PM

Good point...I'm thinking with Kendricks in there, he should help Derwin quite a bit...
      Yes, and they both can cover. That’s a very sneaky set up, you think you can beat one or the other, one way or another; ended up catching a case of “find out”

Comment

• dmac_bolt
        Day Tripper
        • May 2019
        • North of the Lagoon
        • Send PM

Derwin is a very good player...but some people call him elite, and plays like this make me think he needs to quit launching himself and going for the big hit, instead of making the sure tackle...doesn't happen all the time, but it happens enough to allow big gainers...
        Is it your contention that elite players NEVER have a bad play ever? Lay it out, what is this elusive magic definition that Derwin failed to meet?

my 2c: Derwin is an excellent tackler, he always has been. You should worry about something real.
        “Less is more? NO NO NO - MORE is MORE!”

Comment

• Lefty2SLO
          Moderate Skeptic
          • May 2022
          • Send PM

Originally posted by dmac_bolt View Post

Is it your contention that elite players NEVER have a bad play ever? Lay it out, what is this elusive magic definition that Derwin failed to meet?

my 2c: Derwin is an excellent tackler, he always has been. You should worry about something real.

Oar in the water . . . . . . . an elite player makes game changing plays, particularly in critical moments. Nobody makes every play ALL the time.

When we're up by 4 points on KC, and they're driving downfield with 2:00 mins on the clock - THIS is when I expect James / Bosa / Mack to stand up and make a difference (NOT vanish).

Conversely - if we're behind by 4 points in the above circumstances THIS is when I expect Herbert / Allen / Williams to make an impact. We've seen the offense do this many times - the defense . . . . . . . . not so much. The highest paid players need to make game changing plays when it matters most - that's what they're being paid to do.

Comment

• Lefty2SLO
            Moderate Skeptic
            • May 2022
            • Send PM

Originally posted by Lefty2SLO View Post

Oar in the water . . . . . . . an elite player makes game changing plays, particularly in critical moments. Nobody makes every play ALL the time.

When we're up by 4 points on KC, and they're driving downfield with 2:00 mins on the clock - THIS is when I expect James / Bosa / Mack to stand up and make a difference (NOT vanish).

Conversely - if we're behind by 4 points in the above circumstances THIS is when I expect Herbert / Allen / Williams to make an impact. We've seen the offense do this many times - the defense . . . . . . . . not so much. The highest paid players need to make game changing plays when it matters most - that's what they're being paid to do.

Game changing plays can vary greatly by circumstance; a simple tackle short of the marker on a 3rd or especially a 4th down play late in the game is a GCP, as would be a PD or PBD. It doesn't have to be an interception, sack or FF / FR (nothing wrong with any of these either of course).

Many different types of plays can be considered GCP's - DEPENDING on the circumstances and timing of those plays. Good coverage on a receiver (Kelsey) forcing Mahomes to go to someone else (not as good) would be a GCP - in the right circumstances, ie; it's a good play in the 2nd quarter, it's a GCP late in the 4th with ball possession (and the game) on the line.

Comment

• sonorajim
              Registered Charger Fan
              • Jan 2019
              • Send PM

Team. They can't do it alone. Everybody else has to do their jobs for the exceptional talent to shine. Including coaches.

Comment

• Lefty2SLO
                Moderate Skeptic
                • May 2022
                • Send PM

Originally posted by sonorajim View Post

Team. They can't do it alone. Everybody else has to do their jobs for the exceptional talent to shine. Including coaches.
                Ah yes - coaching . . . . . . . . . on the defensive side of the ball. Hopefully the offensive problem has been removed . . . . .

The realities of a capped league are that if you're not getting game changing production (of some kind) from your highest paid players then you're not going to be winning many games . . . . . . . It may not be fair, but that's what you sign up for when your salary is a significant portion of the cap . . . . . . . . you're going to get a high level of pressure / scrutiny, and you're going to be EXPECTED to carry the team (in some fashion).

Just my opinion, but out of all of our highest paid players, ie; James, Bosa, Mack, Jackson, Williams, Allen, Herbert (soon to be), only Herbert has carried the team - as an elite player should . . . . . . .

Comment

• sonorajim
                  Registered Charger Fan
                  • Jan 2019
                  • Send PM

Ah yes - coaching . . . . . . . . . on the defensive side of the ball. Hopefully the offensive problem has been removed . . . . .

The realities of a capped league are that if you're not getting game changing production (of some kind) from your highest paid players then you're not going to be winning many games . . . . . . . It may not be fair, but that's what you sign up for when your salary is a significant portion of the cap . . . . . . . . you're going to get a high level of pressure / scrutiny, and you're going to be EXPECTED to carry the team (in some fashion).

Just my opinion, but out of all of our highest paid players, ie; James, Bosa, Mack, Jackson, Williams, Allen, Herbert (soon to be), only Herbert has carried the team - as an elite player should . . . . . . .
                  I'm not going to knock Herbert. I like him a lot. He wasn't at his best last year.

Comment

• Lefty2SLO
                    Moderate Skeptic
                    • May 2022
                    • Send PM

I'm not going to knock Herbert. I like him a lot. He wasn't at his best last year.
                    There's nothing to knock . . . . . . . without him we're toast

Comment

• Velo
                      Ride!
                      • Aug 2019
                      • Everywhere
                      • Leave the gun, take the cannolis
                      • Send PM

Fractured rib cartilage and scrub WRs certainly took its toll.

Comment

• dmac_bolt
                        Day Tripper
                        • May 2019
                        • North of the Lagoon
                        • Send PM

Oar in the water? Not sure that metaphor/pop reference/whatever it is. Sorry

I am more sorry though for your disappointment. Elite players don’t always make every play, No elite player ever has or ever will. I hope knowing this in the future helps in the event the situation arises again. Be strong, for the kids. Look at it this way, it’s not like KC was stuffed 3-out by every other defense except the Chargers. They do this regularly. not sure if you knew but Kelce and Mahomes are all-pro players too.

Comment

• dmac_bolt
                          Day Tripper
                          • May 2019
                          • North of the Lagoon
                          • Send PM

I am not going to knock Herbert either - he’s destined to be HOF best Charger player in history. If folks can’t appreciate the best player to ever wear a bolt in history, well … they are not gonna like anyone else either.

the folks around here and their unflinching demand for absolute perfection 100% of the time… behave like petulant bratty children. They should be embarrassed, yet they are so blind or shallow they are completely clueless to how classless they are. “Not at his best” implies he didn’t have a good year. He had a GREAT year. He delivered 4730 yards, 2nd only to Mahomes, and carried a crippled team with the 30th rush defense, half an OL in the ice bath, no legitimate power back, and his only starting WRs injured most of the year to the playoffs. All while he played through cracked ribs and a torn shoulder.

And folks dare snuff “not his best”. Fuck … people are horrible human beings.

Comment

Working...
                          X