• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Fouts2herbert
    Charger Fan since 1978
    • Sep 2021
    • Send PM

Originally posted by sonorajim View Post

Last year 1-1 to start (OK), then 1-2 (not good), then 4-2 (good). Next 6 , 4-2 (bad)
    But! last 5, 4-1 ( very good) which is proof of nothing actually.
    I think you try to win them all without regard to records. Do it for pride, for our fans and to ruin the other team's day.
    Thank you for the answer.
    ps: a fast start is Good. We're winning! Always a plus.
    I remember taking a break from the forum after we started 4-2 despite the devastation from the injuries and Herbert playing with fucked up ribs and people here were complaining about how close the wins were and how we weren't getting blowouts etc...I had to take a break or risk getting banned for life...

4-2 was a fast start especially considering all the adversity, if they had started slower and then hit that ugly skid 2-4 in the middle, the 4-1 finish might not have mattered at all...say 2-4 then 2-4 then 4-1 they would've gone 8-9 and missed the playoffs...

this year a fast start is even more important, last year they clinched a spot with a week to sparer because the ravens, the jets, and the dolphins all fell apart at the end of the season, that is probably not going to happen this year, they will probably need to do better in the division this year to stand a chance at a wild card, maybe 4-2 in the division and then go 7-4 outside the division, that's probably what it'll take this year 11-6 record, 10-7 teams might be home watching the playoffs in the AFC...
    "The author assumes no responsibility or liability for any errors or omissions in the content of this post. The information contained in this post is provided on an "as is" basis with no guarantees of completeness, accuracy, usefulness or timeliness..."​​

Comment

• sonorajim
      Registered Charger Fan
      • Jan 2019
      • Send PM

Originally posted by Fouts2herbert View Post

I remember taking a break from the forum after we started 4-2 despite the devastation from the injuries and Herbert playing with fucked up ribs and people here were complaining about how close the wins were and how we weren't getting blowouts etc...I had to take a break or risk getting banned for life...

4-2 was a fast start especially considering all the adversity, if they had started slower and then hit that ugly skid 2-4 in the middle, the 4-1 finish might not have mattered at all...say 2-4 then 2-4 then 4-1 they would've gone 8-9 and missed the playoffs...

this year a fast start is even more important, last year they clinched a spot with a week to sparer because the ravens, the jets, and the dolphins all fell apart at the end of the season, that is probably not going to happen this year, they will probably need to do better in the division this year to stand a chance at a wild card, maybe 4-2 in the division and then go 7-4 outside the division, that's probably what it'll take this year 11-6 record, 10-7 teams might be home watching the playoffs in the AFC...
      Respect. Bitter fans are like a case of hemorrhoids.
      Your '23 expectations are conservative IMO.
      I believe that Moore will have our offense flying high for 4 quarters a game and that Staley's D plays like the stars that they are.
      Watch the KC fans crying in their beers and spitting at each other.
      Go Bolts!

Comment

• Bolt4Knob
        Registered Charger Fan
        • Dec 2019
        • Send PM

Originally posted by powderblueboy View Post

There are 7 playoff teams.

KC, Cincy, Baltimore, Buffalo and the winner of the AFC South are pretty much locks to make it in.

2 spots remaining with the Jets, Miami, New England, Cleveland, Jacksonville/Tennessee.

They can't afford to stumble out of the gate again or they are pretty much done.
        Thats how I see it

And just referencing Floria - if the Chargers get a favorable early part of the schedule - allow them to start strong, that will help. If they start slowly record wise, but its against the tougher teams and we SEE the results on the field, thats another thing. But if they are playing their easy part of the schedule, losing games and looking terrible, thats where the firesale happens

so my statement about the firesale - there are other factors besides just being 1-4

but I am hopeful of the 11+ win team

Comment

• dmac_bolt
          Day Tripper
          • May 2019
          • North of the Lagoon
          • Send PM

Originally posted by powderblueboy View Post

Let's say they have a slow start: something like 2 - 4.
          No, players and management will not throw in the towel: that will be the job of 2/3rds of forum members here.
          But they ain't rising out of the muck, and Staley will not magically figure things out by that point.

They need to start off well;
          they don't have a 3rd place schedule this year, and there are too many good teams in the AFC (its loaded).
          starting fast is one way to finish with a superior record, its one option. Its not the only way, they could get better and better as the season goes on and beat better teams later. Or the SoS could turn out to be BS like it does so often. Or the better teams could take steps bac, have freak injury runs, etc. or on and on. lots of permutations, "starting fast" is most definitely not the only one but I'm all for it anyway.

I'm more thinking about what would TT and John do. they won't fire anyone after 5, 6, 8, 12 games. They will wait until season ends imo, they almost always do. Gilbride is the only coach in Chargers History i can think of off top of head that was fired md-season but he went 4-12 the season before he then started 2-4. he'd lost the team and was buffoonish. again imo. Pretty sure we've had more than a few 2-4 starts that didn't get a coach fired.
          “Less is more? NO NO NO - MORE is MORE!”

Comment

• jamrock
            lawyers, guns and money
            • Sep 2017
            • Send PM

Originally posted by dmac_bolt View Post

starting fast is one way to finish with a superior record, its one option. Its not the only way, they could get better and better as the season goes on and beat better teams later. Or the SoS could turn out to be BS like it does so often. Or the better teams could take steps bac, have freak injury runs, etc. or on and on. lots of permutations, "starting fast" is most definitely not the only one but I'm all for it anyway.

I'm more thinking about what would TT and John do. they won't fire anyone after 5, 6, 8, 12 games. They will wait until season ends imo, they almost always do. Gilbride is the only coach in Chargers History i can think of off top of head that was fired md-season but he went 4-12 the season before he then started 2-4. he'd lost the team and was buffoonish. again imo. Pretty sure we've had more than a few 2-4 starts that didn't get a coach fired.
            Prothro was fired after a poor start and Coryell was hired. I do t expect them to let Staley go unless he rapes Araiza

Comment

• dmac_bolt
              Day Tripper
              • May 2019
              • North of the Lagoon
              • Send PM

Originally posted by jamrock View Post

Prothro was fired after a poor start and Coryell was hired. I do t expect them to let Staley go unless he rapes Araiza
              Thats BS - Before Spanos

Comment

• Bolt4Knob
                Registered Charger Fan
                • Dec 2019
                • Send PM

Originally posted by dmac_bolt View Post

I guarantee you - even if the Chargers were 0-8 at the trade deadline, the Spanii or Telesco wouldn't have either the balls or the brains to firesale and trade Mack, Ekeler, Allen, Bosa , Williams - not all of them - just some of them
                they wouldn't have the balls to do it

though with their cap - would be the wisest long term play

Comment

• dmac_bolt
                  Day Tripper
                  • May 2019
                  • North of the Lagoon
                  • Send PM

Originally posted by Bolt4Knob View Post

I guarantee you - even if the Chargers were 0-8 at the trade deadline, the Spanii or Telesco wouldn't have either the balls or the brains to firesale and trade Mack, Ekeler, Allen, Bosa , Williams - not all of them - just some of them
                  they wouldn't have the balls to do it

though with their cap - would be the wisest long term play
                  QFT

Comment

• SuperCharged
                    Registered Charger Fan
                    • Sep 2019
                    • Utah
                    • Midnight Toker
                    • Send PM

Internet is on fire with the Anime release video! hahahaha.

Love Herbert's high school fishing club on the bye week.

Comment

• richpjr
                      Registered Charger Fan
                      • Jun 2013
                      • Nashville
                      • Send PM

Originally posted by SuperCharged View Post
                      Internet is on fire with the Anime release video! hahahaha.

Love Herbert's high school fishing club on the bye week.
                      They are so talented.

Comment

• Topcat
                        AKA "Pollcat"
                        • Jan 2019
                        • Send PM

Originally posted by jamrock View Post

What I remember about Prothro is when he was so disgusted with the team's offense on first and second downs that he chose to PUNT on THIRD down!!!

Comment

• jamrock
                          lawyers, guns and money
                          • Sep 2017
                          • Send PM

Opener against the Dolphins, Monday night against the Cowboys and closing stretch featuring Bills and Chiefs highlight the 2023 slate.

Popper has them at 9-8 citing concerns about depth

Comment

Working...
                          X