• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Topcat
    AKA "Pollcat"
    • Jan 2019
    • Send PM

Originally posted by dmac_bolt View Post

Year of the Flip - quit worrying so much.
    Hmmm...there's the...

Year of the Rat
    Year of the Snake
    Year of the Dragon
    and now...
    The Year of the Flip...

Comment

• powderblueboy
      Registered Charger Fan
      • Jul 2017
      • Send PM

Originally posted by Lefty2SLO View Post

This season's schedule will be the litmus test for Staley. We're going to find out if he can hack it . . . . . . . . or not, and the team simply CANNOT start out slow. They need to be ready to go from the jump.
      Absolutely!
      What would be his excuses after another sputtering performance?

Some here are floating the idea that the Chargers are middling at safety.
      Okay, Staley can and will use that, and many more.

BTW, he coached a great game in Jacksonville, for those who imagine he just needs to grow and change.

Comment

• powderblueboy
        Registered Charger Fan
        • Jul 2017
        • Send PM

Just listened to Steve Kerr talk about how a few days of conversing with Pete Carrol influenced him greatly on his coaching style
        Carol learned it from Bill Walsh, whose idea was that head coaches need to focus on what their values are,
        and then fully infuse them into the everyday operations of what players experience.

For example, he talked about the fear that Michael Jordan instilled in players - which was successful.
        That would be the Parcells/Belichick school. If that is not what a head coach values (Pete Carol, for instance values players enjoying their experience), he would then get coaches with a sense of humor, who can put together imaginative practices.

I say this because Staley seemed to be influenced by this line of thinking - the culture thing (or was it the friendship thing?);
        One coaching staff (save the head coach) later, he never quite grasped the totality of it.

As Kerr said, the values are not items that can be neatly wrapped up into clever phrases (the Staley school).

Comment

• sonorajim
          Registered Charger Fan
          • Jan 2019
          • Send PM

Originally posted by powderblueboy View Post

Absolutely!

BTW, he coached a great game in Jacksonville, for those who imagine he just needs to grow and change.
          1st half in playoffs? absolutely.
          ps: Staley doesn't make excuses, fans do. Like Herbert having cracked ribs or a shoulder requiring surgery should make a difference? Hah!
          Never mind top OL, DL, etc out. They make no difference. He should plug in the water boy and crush everyone!

Comment

• Lefty2SLO
            Moderate Skeptic
            • May 2022
            • Send PM

Originally posted by powderblueboy View Post

Absolutely!

Yes - it was a great learning experience . . . . . . .

Comment

• sonorajim
              Registered Charger Fan
              • Jan 2019
              • Send PM

Yes - it was a great learning experience . . . . . . .
              Depth. We can't win with a rookie 6th round draft pick at outside CB in the playoffs. Our busted shoulder QB was adequate as long as the D put him in the red zone.
              The takeaways dried up when we lost Vato.

Comment

• Lefty2SLO
                Moderate Skeptic
                • May 2022
                • Send PM

Originally posted by sonorajim View Post

1st half in playoffs? absolutely.
                ps: Staley doesn't make excuses, fans do. Like Herbert having cracked ribs or a shoulder requiring surgery should make a difference? Hah!
                Never mind top OL, DL, etc out. They make no difference. He should plug in the water boy and crush everyone!
                He just makes absurd statements, like - 'I thought we coached well', and 'no - I don't think we were outcoached' . . . . . . . hard to be confident in a guy who would say such things after his team just had a monumental collapse. He's either; 1) an idiot, 2) totally disconnected from reality, or 3) deflecting responsibility. Any of these are the kiss of death for someone in a leadership position . . . . . . . I'd be willing to bet there were some rolled eyes even among Charger players after those statements . . . . . . . not to mention the rest of the league laughing up their sleeve at him . . . . . . what a buffoon

Comment

• sonorajim
                  Registered Charger Fan
                  • Jan 2019
                  • Send PM

He just makes absurd statements, like - 'I thought we coached well', and 'no - I don't think we were outcoached' . . . . . . . hard to be confident in a guy who would say such things after his team just had a monumental collapse. He's either; 1) an idiot, 2) totally disconnected from reality, or 3) deflecting responsibility. Any of these are the kiss of death for someone in a leadership position . . . . . . . I'd be willing to bet there were some rolled eyes even among Charger players after those statements . . . . . . . not to mention the rest of the league laughing up their sleeve at him . . . . . . what a buffoon

Clearly he's not saying what you want to hear. I'm not a fan of the way he uses the language.
                  Regardless, the players do well for him.
                  You use the phrase "monumental collapse" which was set up by an incredible display of defensive strategy vs Jax much stronger offense in the 1st half. And fell apart when our last experienced CB after 'Sante & Callahan went down.

Comment

• Lefty2SLO
                    Moderate Skeptic
                    • May 2022
                    • Send PM

Clearly he's not saying what you want to hear. I'm not a fan of the way he uses the language.
                    Regardless, the players do well for him.
                    You use the phrase "monumental collapse" which was set up by an incredible display of defensive strategy vs Jax much stronger offense in the 1st half. And fell apart when our last experienced CB after 'Sante & Callahan went down.
                    Jim - we're just going to have to disagree on Staley. We'll see in a few months. Miami will tell the tale.

For the record - I hope your right about him, and I'm wrong . . . . . . . .

Comment

• Lefty2SLO
                      Moderate Skeptic
                      • May 2022
                      • Send PM

Depth. We can't win with a rookie 6th round draft pick at outside CB in the playoffs. Our busted shoulder QB was adequate as long as the D put him in the red zone.
                      The takeaways dried up when we lost Vato.
                      Nonsense - how many good / great / elite players were late round draft choices or undrafted? JCJ was undrafted - wasn't he the NFL's defensive player of the year at one point?

We can (and should have) won when you start with a 20 point cushion . . . . . . . and who's responsibility is it to teach the 6th round rookie how to play the position in the 1st place?? And if the 6th round rookie is that bad why didn't we draft any defensive backs this year to replace him?? Isn't Staley on record as indicating that he likes his current DB group? Hence he's endorsing Taylor as a player good enough to play in his system.

I submit that it was not the talent level of the player in question that caused the loss. Taylor is not as good as Davis - no argument, but Staley got his head handed to him by Peterson - of that there's no doubt. And Staley's SUPPOSED to be a defensive genius - his job is to solve (or at least mitigate) the problem . . . . . if he can't do that why is he here? Good sound bites?????

Comment

• sonorajim
                        Registered Charger Fan
                        • Jan 2019
                        • Send PM

Jim - we're just going to have to disagree on Staley. We'll see in a few months. Miami will tell the tale.

For the record - I hope your right about him, and I'm wrong . . . . . . . .
                        Agreed. For me it's the season but Mia is a good test.
                        Our younger son, who was a pretty good starting FB at So Oregon, and a Charger fan that I love and respect is probably closer to your take on Staley. Maybe halfway.

Comment

• Lefty2SLO
                          Moderate Skeptic
                          • May 2022
                          • Send PM

Agreed. For me it's the season but Mia is a good test.
                          Our younger son, who was a pretty good starting FB at So Oregon, and a Charger fan that I love and respect is probably closer to your take on Staley. Maybe halfway.
                          Everything in moderation . . . . . . . words to live by !

Comment

Working...
                          X