• Show
Clear All
  • dmac_bolt
    Day Tripper
    • May 2019
    • North of the Lagoon
    • Send PM

Originally posted by Boltx View Post

Maybe a little about the first part. But not the second, IMHO.
    You’re 100% wrong about Herbert. Carry on …
    “Less is more? NO NO NO - MORE is MORE!”

Comment

• Ghost of Quacksaw
      Beef Before Gazelles
      • May 2021
      • Send PM

Originally posted by Lefty2SLO View Post

Miami will tell us if Staley's learned anything on how to prepare a team to play winning football . . . . . . or not
      Staley certainly put a well-prepared team on the field last December when they played the Dolphins.

That didn't leave me doubting Staley's ability to prepare his team to play 'winning football'. The Chargers absolutely kicked the Dolphins' ASS.
      Last edited by Ghost of Quacksaw; 05-15-2023, 03:48 AM.

Comment

• sonorajim
        Registered Charger Fan
        • Jan 2019
        • Send PM

Miami will tell us if Staley's learned anything on how to prepare a team to play winning football . . . . . . or not
        We only beat them 27-17 last year. Should have been more like 51-0.
        My biggest question: is Moore a great teacher? Can he put his stamp on this Chargers offense by Sep 10?
        He has a LOT of work to do with the position groups and their asst coaches to get the offense running like clockwork.
        His QB coach Nussmeier who worked with him in Dallas will be an enormous help getting Herbert up to speed. A lot depends on JH10's grasp of Moore's pre-snap concepts.

Comment

• Eurobolt
          *** Jim Harbaugh ***
          • Sep 2018
          • Send PM

Originally posted by sonorajim View Post

We only beat them 27-17 last year. Should have been more like 51-0.
          My biggest question: is Moore a great teacher? Can he put his stamp on this Chargers offense by Sep 10?
          He has a LOT of work to do with the position groups and their asst coaches to get the offense running like clockwork.
          His QB coach Nussmeier who worked with him in Dallas will be an enormous help getting Herbert up to speed. A lot depends on JH10's grasp of Moore's pre-snap concepts.
          We can see how he will build game plan, react to a game and adjust, not worried about Herbert connection as they know each other for some time.

With decent season on offence KM will become our next head coach.

Comment

• powderblueboy
            Registered Charger Fan
            • Jul 2017
            • Send PM

1st half in playoffs? absolutely.
            ps: Staley doesn't make excuses, fans do. Like Herbert having cracked ribs or a shoulder requiring surgery should make a difference? Hah!
            Never mind top OL, DL, etc out. They make no difference. He should plug in the water boy and crush everyone!
            I assume you mean he doesn't throw individual players in front of the bus after losses.

He just constantly makes changes to the coaching staff and defensive personnel.
            What do you think he's telling Telesco when making the changes?

It's a bottom 12 defense each year. I'm sure Johnny Spanos has brought it up at meetings.

Comment

• powderblueboy
              Registered Charger Fan
              • Jul 2017
              • Send PM

Originally posted by dmac_bolt View Post

This is the one that always gets me - that some of you otherwise wise intelligent gentlemen are so often troubled or bothered or otherwise angst-stricken about motherfucking coach-speak. Let me emphasize just for effect and hopefully not make it seem like I’m yelling, because you know I’m really just a hugger …

NO NFL COACHES EVER SAY SHIT EVER.

Coach speak is not real, its not relevant to coaching, and its not anything to ever make assessments off of. If you judge coaches based on coach speak then the absolute all time worst coach in the history of football is Bill Bellycheat.
              When Staley came in he said something to the effect that he tailors his defenses to the strengths of the players,

and then we are told that he constantly lacks players that fit his system.

That's what undermines my trust in him. Many here think he's somewhat of a grifter.

The bottom line is that the defense has been a sieve the last two years.

Comment

• sonorajim
                Registered Charger Fan
                • Jan 2019
                • Send PM

Originally posted by powderblueboy View Post

When Staley came in he said something to the effect that he tailors his defenses to the strengths of the players,

and then we are told that he constantly lacks players that fit his system.

That's what undermines my trust in him. Many here think he's somewhat of a grifter.

The bottom line is that the defense has been a sieve the last two years.
                Not exactly. We were a top 10 pass D but the run D really dragged us down. Losing Bosa, Austin Johnson, Tito and getting mediocre run D from the LBs was a problem.
                Getting the injured guys back, adding Kendricks, drafting Tuli, Henley, Matlock, hiring ILB coach Jeff Howard. should have a positive impact.
                It should be good enough. We were the #21 (22.6 ppg allowed) scoring D, SB Champ KC was #17 (21.7 ppg allowed).

Comment

• Lefty2SLO
                  Moderate Skeptic
                  • May 2022
                  • Send PM

Originally posted by dmac_bolt View Post

This is the one that always gets me - that some of you otherwise wise intelligent gentlemen are so often troubled or bothered or otherwise angst-stricken about motherfucking coach-speak. Let me emphasize just for effect and hopefully not make it seem like I’m yelling, because you know I’m really just a hugger …

NO NFL COACHES EVER SAY SHIT EVER.

Coach speak is not real, its not relevant to coaching, and its not anything to ever make assessments off of. If you judge coaches based on coach speak then the absolute all time worst coach in the history of football is Bill Bellycheat.
                  What he said wasn't 'coach speak'. Staley's public comments were the opposite of what would be considered 'coach speak'. The patented 'coach speak' answer was ' we didn't do a good enough job as coaches' - or something to that effect.

In real life I'm the leader of a team (construction management), and I'm responsible for everything that team does. If my team screws up, my ONLY response to my CEO or our investors is ' I apologize - I didn't manage well enough. I'll make sure this doesn't happen again'. What I do with my team members behind the scenes may be an entirely different story. In this respect my job is exactly the same as an NFL head coach - or anyone in a leadership position. If I were to say anything to my superiors that had the feel of avoiding or deflecting responsibility my superiors AND my team would lose respect for me. This is why what Staley said concerns me. I certainly lost a great deal of respect for him, and lost confidence in his leadership abilities as well (combined with the way he handled the Bosa incident during the game).

What do you think his players thought when they read or heard what he said? They were there - and at least the veterans know what's what. Do you think his public statements generated respect in the locker room? Or reduced his stature in their eyes? We'll never know, but his statements are unlikely to have increased his stature with his players - that's for sure.

Comment

• sonorajim
                    Registered Charger Fan
                    • Jan 2019
                    • Send PM

It was a miracle that we were up by 27 at one point with a QB that needed shoulder surgery.
                    Let's drop the "collapse" propaganda and get ready for 2023.

Comment

• Lefty2SLO
                      Moderate Skeptic
                      • May 2022
                      • Send PM

Originally posted by Ghost of Quacksaw View Post

Staley certainly put a well-prepared team on the field last December when they played the Dolphins.

That didn't leave me doubting Staley's ability prepare his team to play 'winning football'. The Chargers absolutely kicked the Dolphins' ASS.
                      Agreed . . . . . . it was the best game the defense played all year. They need to be prepared to play that way ALL THE TIME, not once a season.

Comment

• Lefty2SLO
                        Moderate Skeptic
                        • May 2022
                        • Send PM

It was a miracle that we were up by 27 at one point with a QB that needed shoulder surgery.
                        Let's drop the "collapse" propaganda and get ready for 2023.
                        3rd best comeback in NFL playoff history is . . . . . . propaganda????

Alrighty them - no more 'collapse'. Let's just call it what it really was - an EPIC CHOKE JOB.

Comment

• sonorajim
                          Registered Charger Fan
                          • Jan 2019
                          • Send PM

Agreed . . . . . . it was the best game the defense played all year. They need to be prepared to play that way ALL THE TIME, not once a season.
                          We allowed an avg 9 points per game for the next three games. That's 4 in a row.

Comment

Working...
                          X