• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • charger1_sj
    Registered Charger Fan
    • Nov 2022
    • Send PM

Originally posted by sonorajim View Post

It's a shame that we had close to no offense.Hopefully the new OC can do a better job with backups and an injured QB.
    Or defense in the second half. Both tanked.

Comment

• dmac_bolt
      Day Tripper
      • May 2019
      • North of the Lagoon
      • Send PM

Originally posted by charger1_sj View Post

Except he didn't do what Staley did. Completely difference circumstances. Unless you are aware that BB played a WR coming off injury in a meaningless game
      right before the PO, did he do that? No BB starts his first string whether it's meaningless or not. He doesn't start players that are injury prone in meaningless games.
      So there's that. The point being BB is a smarter more experience coach with a proven track record of doing the right thing. And Staley was not crucified. He was
      criticized and rightfully so. You shout out to sit MW and there you are saying shit about me. Talk about a hypocrite.
      BB starts his first string in all games - even meaningless games, there ya go. You said it. “But but he didn’t start any players first name Mike ends in Liams” ,,, you’re grasping. And Staley was most certainly crucified here, i beg to differ. Y’all have called that the specific reason to fire him. y’all said it again now 3 months later in the last 2 or 3 pages of this thread. Wasn’t crucified? Lol, ok, you’re right. Yes, you did not literally pledge to nail him to a cross, you got me there!

coaches have to make lots of decisions that nobody knows or can know for sure how it will work out. They do that all day long. if they work, they’re “genius” and if they don’t they’re the dumbest coach in the world. Thats life in the NFL. BB used to be The Genius. Well, first he wasn’t as he was fired. It took him 7 years and the GOAT to win his first SB. He then became a genius because he had the GOAT as his QB for 20 yrs. Now, no GOAT and not so much. Missed the playoffs 2 of last 3 years. Weird, as it’s the same exact guy and he should be smarter today than he was 4 yrs ago the last time Goat played for him.

Now it’s Andy. Greatest coach ever! But Andy got fired from his last job because he couldn’t win the big game in 14 years. Now he’s got Mahomey pulling rabbits out of hats in playground scramble drills that Andy sure as shit never drew up on a white board and he’s now the genius. But wait - it took Andy another 7 years to win the SB in KC - how come The Genius took 7 years when he had already had 14 years of experience before he even started there? Thats 21 year before his first SB win, if you’re adding it up. So Yeah. Sure. He’s great - now.

I’m not saying BB or AR are not great coaches, they are great coaches. I’m saying it took them time and if this crowd was in charge they never would have won a SB. Give Staley a bit more time, he’s had two seasons and two winning seasons. 2nd slightly better than the 1st despite an historically extraordinary injury plague to his star players. Next year he will be even better because that is the only trend we have to go by. His trend is up, he’s done some good things and some not-good things. He’ll grow, he’ll learn, he’ll be better.
      “Less is more? NO NO NO - MORE is MORE!”

Comment

• ChargersPowderBlue
        Registered Charger Fan
        • Aug 2019
        • Send PM

Originally posted by Boltgang74 View Post

How many lose in the same way we did?Like 2 other teams in NFL history I think?
        One of them being the Chiefs who blew a big lead to the Colts years ago. Who are now a very successful team.​

Originally posted by dmac_bolt View Post

BB starts his first string in all games - even meaningless games, there ya go. You said it. “But but he didn’t start any players first name Mike ends in Liams” ,,, you’re grasping. And Staley was most certainly crucified here, i beg to differ. Y’all have called that the specific reason to fire him. y’all said it again now 3 months later in the last 2 or 3 pages of this thread. Wasn’t crucified? Lol, ok, you’re right. Yes, you did not literally pledge to nail him to a cross, you got me there!

coaches have to make lots of decisions that nobody knows or can know for sure how it will work out. They do that all day long. if they work, they’re “genius” and if they don’t they’re the dumbest coach in the world. Thats life in the NFL. BB used to be The Genius. Well, first he wasn’t as he was fired. It took him 7 years and the GOAT to win his first SB. He then became a genius because he had the GOAT as his QB for 20 yrs. Now, no GOAT and not so much. Missed the playoffs 2 of last 3 years. Weird, as it’s the same exact guy and he should be smarter today than he was 4 yrs ago the last time Goat played for him.

Now it’s Andy. Greatest coach ever! But Andy got fired from his last job because he couldn’t win the big game in 14 years. Now he’s got Mahomey pulling rabbits out of hats in playground scramble drills that Andy sure as shit never drew up on a white board and he’s now the genius. But wait - it took Andy another 7 years to win the SB in KC - how come The Genius took 7 years when he had already had 14 years of experience before he even started there? Thats 21 year before his first SB win, if you’re adding it up. So Yeah. Sure. He’s great - now.

I’m not saying BB or AR are not great coaches, they are great coaches. I’m saying it took them time and if this crowd was in charge they never would have won a SB. Give Staley a bit more time, he’s had two seasons and two winning seasons. 2nd slightly better than the 1st despite an historically extraordinary injury plague to his star players. Next year he will be even better because that is the only trend we have to go by. His trend is up, he’s done some good things and some not-good things. He’ll grow, he’ll learn, he’ll be better.
        People are impatient and have unrealistic beliefs or expectations.

Comment

• electricgold
          Registered Charger Fan
          • Apr 2020
          • Send PM

The point really is when these coaches have great QB's they win. The fact that Staley has Herbert who seems like he has the potential to be an all time great QB the first 2 seasons under Staley have not been good. Give these coaches you are talking about Herbert and it could be scary how good they would be. The only defense you could argue with Staley is he is a first time HC and it seems to take a few years for the really great HC's to come into their own, so I guess you could say this may be the case with Staley IE growing pains, but I'm sorry another season like these last 2 and bye bye Staley. There has to be a progression with what he is doing here and the players he has been talking TT into drafting, and free agent's and vets to add to the roster. These on the field pre-game work outs before games also have been a bad look for Staley as far as projecting sound mental health.

Comment

• chargeroo
            Fan since 1961
            • Jan 2019
            • Oregon
            • Retired Manager/Pastor
            • Send PM

Originally posted by electricgold View Post

The point really is when these coaches have great QB's they win. The fact that Staley has Herbert who seems like he has the potential to be an all time great QB the first 2 seasons under Staley have not been good. Give these coaches you are talking about Herbert and it could be scary how good they would be. The only defense you could argue with Staley is he is a first time HC and it seems to take a few years for the really great HC's to come into their own, so I guess you could say this may be the case with Staley IE growing pains, but I'm sorry another season like these last 2 and bye bye Staley. There has to be a progression with what he is doing here and the players he has been talking TT into drafting, and free agent's and vets to add to the roster. These on the field pre-game work outs before games also have been a bad look for Staley as far as projecting sound mental health.
            I like Staley and I think he's learning from his mistakes. What I don't like is changing coaches every three years. You were living under a rock somewhere last year if you didn't notice the injuries to our best players. I think under the circumstances, we had a pretty decent outcome and the HC get's at least a little credit for that. I'm all for hanging in there with Staley.
            THE YEAR OF THE FLIP!

Comment

• charger1_sj
              Registered Charger Fan
              • Nov 2022
              • Send PM

I have not called for Staley's head. In fact I've said multiple times that I'll give him a pass because of all the injuries. However he does need to be called out when
              when mistakes are made. Playing MW a guy that regularly gets banged up and coming off an injury in a meaningless game right before the PO was a mistake.
              I disagree about BB, he's held out players with minor injuries during practice in the regular season. With MW's history and the specific situation he sits.

Lets just agree to disagree and hope for the best this coming season. Staley may yet to turn out to be a great HC, but at this point he's got a lot to learn.

Comment

• sonorajim
                Registered Charger Fan
                • Jan 2019
                • Send PM

Originally posted by chargeroo View Post

I like Staley and I think he's learning from his mistakes. What I don't like is changing coaches every three years. You were living under a rock somewhere last year if you didn't notice the injuries to our best players. I think under the circumstances, we had a pretty decent outcome and the HC get's at least a little credit for that. I'm all for hanging in there with Staley.
                Agree. I really like our OL, Herbert and think Moore is a strong fit for this O. The odds are good that Bosa & Mack will play more games together.
                Ansley is a more emotional leader than Hill and Kendricks is a solid add.

Comment

• electricgold
                  Registered Charger Fan
                  • Apr 2020
                  • Send PM

It all depends on how this season plays out? Check out the schedule this next season, it will take good coaching on all fronts to make the playoffs, and if we don't make the playoffs you can't really justify keeping Staley or giving him an extension. If you really look at what the major issue was this last year and had to make one change from the outside looking in it would have been the DC and D play calling. We all know who is calling the plays. . . You also have to really think about the fact we only beat one team last year with a winning record to me that is more relevant than the injuries and making the playoffs aspect which you are focusing on. I also think Herbert was the driving force and his talents and abilities were what got us a playoff game, above BS' coaching.

Trust me if we fizzle out this season, hiring someone like Jim Harbaugh would trump your dis-satisfaction with firing Staley after 3 seasons if he were to fail to produce the desired results after this season, especially with the KC and Denver HC's now in our division which we have to play 4 games of our schedule.

Comment

• sonorajim
                    Registered Charger Fan
                    • Jan 2019
                    • Send PM

It all depends on how this season plays out? Check out the schedule this next season, it will take good coaching on all fronts to make the playoffs, and if we don't make the playoffs you can't really justify keeping Staley or giving him an extension. If you really look at what the major issue was this last year and had to make one change from the outside looking in it would have been the DC and D play calling. We all know who is calling the plays. . . You also have to really think about the fact we only beat one team last year with a winning record to me that is more relevant than the injuries and making the playoffs aspect which you are focusing on. I also think Herbert was the driving force and his talents and abilities were what got us a playoff game, above BS' coaching.

Trust me if we fizzle out this season, hiring someone like Jim Harbaugh would trump your dis-satisfaction with firing Staley after 3 seasons if he were to fail to produce the desired results after this season.
                    The strength of schedule is an estimate based on last year. Things change., as they did in '22. The probability that we lead the NFL in injuries again is remote.

Comment

• Lefty2SLO
                      Moderate Skeptic
                      • May 2022
                      • Send PM

Originally posted by sonorajim View Post

The strength of schedule is an estimate based on last year. Things change., as they did in '22. The probability that we lead the NFL in injuries again is remote.
                      You're correct - we probably don't have ALL of the injuries in 23 we had in 22, but we will have some - it's the nature of the game. Can this team rise above losing key players???

Comment

• chargeroo
                        Fan since 1961
                        • Jan 2019
                        • Oregon
                        • Retired Manager/Pastor
                        • Send PM

Trust me if we fizzle out this season, hiring someone like Jim Harbaugh would trump your dis-satisfaction with firing Staley after 3 seasons if he were to fail to produce the desired results after this season, especially with the KC and Denver HC's now in our division which we have to play 4 games of our schedule.
                        If you can tell before the season has even started which teams will be good next year, make some big bets and change your name to Swami.
                        THE YEAR OF THE FLIP!

Comment

• electricgold
                          Registered Charger Fan
                          • Apr 2020
                          • Send PM

If you can tell before the season has even started which teams will be good next year, make some big bets and change your name to Swami.

AFC West: Denver Broncos, Kansas City Chiefs and Las Vegas Raiders

AFC East: Buffalo Bills and Miami Dolphins

NFC North: Chicago Bears and Detroit Lions

NFC East: Dallas Cowboys

AFC North: Baltimore Ravens

Chargers Road Opponents:

AFC West: Denver Broncos, Kansas City Chiefs and Las Vegas Raiders

AFC East: New England Patriots and New York Jets

NFC North: Green Bay Packers and Minnesota Vikings

AFC South: Tennessee Titans

You also have to think IF Staley isn't the real deal there is a strong chance we could get swept by the Broncos and Chiefs. Looking at these teams we play I would say 4 games you could say we should win easy if we play well! The other games we'll need good coaching to win. However we won't know for sure until the season gets under way and we see how the teams are doing coupled with injuries but this looks like it COULD be a much tougher schedule.

Comment

Working...
                          X