• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Xenos
    Registered Charger Fan
    • Feb 2019
    • Send PM

Originally posted by rensoul View Post

How so? Ficken had one year of experience as a ST co-ordinator before being hired. Moore is a much more established OC and a bigger name that has been thrown around as a HC candidate for a couple seasons.
    I think in terms of Staley hiring someone outside his known circle. He had no prior relationship with Ficken.

Comment

• jamrock
      lawyers, guns and money
      • Sep 2017
      • Send PM

Now they just need to hire a DC.

Comment

• rensoul
        Registered Charger Fan
        • Jan 2023
        • Send PM

Originally posted by Xenos View Post

I think in terms of Staley hiring someone outside his known circle. He had no prior relationship with Ficken.
        Good point.

Comment

• OG619FrightninLightnin
          Let's do this!
          • Aug 2022
          • Raleigh N. Carolina
          • Send PM

Originally posted by Fouts2herbert View Post

Don’t fucking lie to the kid on his first day!
          Haaa!

Comment

• jaguarmanftype
            Registered Charger Fan
            • Nov 2020
            • Send PM

How so? Ficken had one year of experience as a ST co-ordinator before being hired. Moore is a much more established OC and a bigger name that has been thrown around as a HC candidate for a couple seasons.
            I mean in the "best-man-for-job" metric based on prior and verifiable success (albeit limited in Ficken's case), but also in the "outside-the-box" metric because Ficken turned around a shit Vikings ST unit to be top 10 in one year and virtual unknown to Staley and Moore while a known commodity isn't a McVay/Shanahan disciple that Staley was initially wanting and is adaptable but successful in his own right -- in short, this was simply weighing the two coordinators' respective verifiable successes and growth trajectory, and going with it.

Comment

• Boltx
              Dominate the day
              • Jun 2013
              • Send PM

Hard to know how much Jerry Jones meddled with that staff

At least we know the floor with Moore is higher than Lombardi. His ceiling is TBD...
              ESPN Screename: GoBolts02

Comment

• 21&500
                Bolt Spit-Baller
                • Sep 2018
                • A Whale's Vajayjay
                • CMB refugee
                • Send PM

Originally posted by jaguarmanftype View Post
                Seems like Moore wanted out from Jerry land as likely he was told he would be even more micromanaged by McCarthy than he was previously. This is a case when calling early to ask for permission to interview coordinator candidates that aren't officially available paid off. I assume once Moore realized there was interest from the Chargers, he wanted to bolt, no pun intended.

Good hire as far as I'm concerned. Hope we can poach Zac Robinson in some capacity too to be an OC in waiting in case Moore gets an HC job after next season.
                The QB coach position is going to be very important because they will be hired with the opportunity to promote to OC if all goes well.
                since Zac is a QB coach, coad have to give him a raise in money and title, something like "qb coach and passing game coordinator"
                Hope to see someone who can/plans to be OC one day.
                Chargers vs. Everyone

Comment

• 21&500
                  Bolt Spit-Baller
                  • Sep 2018
                  • A Whale's Vajayjay
                  • CMB refugee
                  • Send PM

Regarding who had most say in this hiring, I'm obviously speculating but I also believe this is a Spanos pushed hire because as many have stated, his resume suggests he's a potential HC candidate and I don't think Staley would voluntarily hire a legitimate replacement.
                  despite what poppper is reporting, this looks like a spanos-driven choice as a condition for Staley.
                  regardless, I'm hopeful.
                  Chargers vs. Everyone

Comment

• rensoul
                    Registered Charger Fan
                    • Jan 2023
                    • Send PM

Originally posted by 21&500 View Post

The QB coach position is going to be very important because they will be hired with the opportunity to promote to OC if all goes well.
                    since Zac is a QB coach, coad have to give him a raise in money and title, something like "qb coach and passing game coordinator"
                    Hope to see someone who can/plans to be OC one day.
                    They could bring over Doug Nussmeir who was the Qb coach in Dallas with Moore. He has a lot of experience as an OC/Qb coach at the college level before spending the last few seasons in Dallas.

Comment

• jamrock
                      lawyers, guns and money
                      • Sep 2017
                      • Send PM

Originally posted by 21&500 View Post
                      Regarding who had most say in this hiring, I'm obviously speculating but I also believe this is a Spanos pushed hire because as many have stated, his resume suggests he's a potential HC candidate and I don't think Staley would voluntarily hire a legitimate replacement.
                      despite what poppper is reporting, this looks like a spanos-driven choice as a condition for Staley.
                      regardless, I'm hopeful.
                      I don’t think you understand the Spanos mentality. They’re not Machiavellian in the way you suggest.

Comment

• northerner
                        Charger fan since '79
                        • Mar 2019
                        • Send PM

if nothing else, i am glad that he has OC experience. i was more nervous about a first time OC. when the cowboys beat the bucs, i really liked some of the rollout plays they had for Dak. this is a win in my book.

Comment

• Fouts2herbert
                          Charger Fan since 1978
                          • Sep 2021
                          • Send PM

I wonder if the FO is smart enough to realize that with this hire. Moore is probably more qualified than when Staley was when he was hired as HC. Moore has 4 years of OC experience and was a hot name on the coaching carousel before.
                          If the offense is looking good and the defense is still mediocre/bad then I could see the change happening.
                          If he was brought to LAC to potentially succeed staley, then of course they’d be aware of his qualifications…
                          "The author assumes no responsibility or liability for any errors or omissions in the content of this post. The information contained in this post is provided on an "as is" basis with no guarantees of completeness, accuracy, usefulness or timeliness..."​​

Comment

Working...
                          X