• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • jamrock
    lawyers, guns and money
    • Sep 2017
    • Send PM

Staley initially said he wanted someone from the Shanahan McVay tree because “that’s the offense that I believe in”. Then they jump on KM and hire him in less than 24 hours. Not a Shanahan McVay disciple. What does Staley believe in?

Comment

• Bolt-O
      Administrator
      • Jun 2013
      • Send PM

Originally posted by jamrock View Post
      Staley initially said he wanted someone from the Shanahan McVay tree because “that’s the offense that I believe in”. Then they jump on KM and hire him in less than 24 hours. Not a Shanahan McVay disciple. What does Staley believe in?
      Its a good question, but for now, Staley better be an All-in Moore believer, because if he isn't, Staley will be out the door before his contract tolls.

Comment

• Geezbolt
        Registered Charger Fan
        • Jun 2013
        • Sun Valley, ID
        • Send PM

Originally posted by richpjr View Post
        The reaction of Cowboy fans is interesting. All coordinators are polarizing but the range of the Chargers are doomed because Moore is incompetent to the Chargers will win now win the Super Bowl because Moore doesn't have to game plan around Dak's limitations is funny.
        Dak fits the profile of the type of QB Jerry falls in love with. A solid QB, athletic, but not likely to ever get you to the next level. I think it will be shown that Kellen Moore did an excellent job with Dak and got the most out of him.

Dallas has not had an elite QB since Troy Aikman, and that goes back a while. They also have not won another championship in Jerry's era since Troy retired. Certainly Jimmy Johnson (and the Herschel Walker trade) had a lot to do with building those teams too.

Moore now has an elite talent to work with and I'm looking forward to seeing what he comes up with. I have to believe he will have much more freedom and considerably less pressure from the top. Moore is a football freak, a junkie if you will, and it would be stupid to not turn him loose and see what he can come up with.

Comment

• gzubeck
          Ines Sainz = Jet Bait!
          • Jan 2019
          • Tucson, AZ
          • Send PM

"Winning at all costs?!?!?!" I'm in....
          Chiefs won the Superbowl with 10 Rookies....

"Locked, Cocked, and ready to Rock!" Jim Harbaugh

Comment

• Charge!
            Registered Charger Fan
            • Aug 2019
            • Send PM

Originally posted by Bolt-O View Post

Its a good question, but for now, Staley better be an All-in Moore believer, because if he isn't, Staley will be out the door before his contract tolls.
            agree, but remember that all great coaches are in charge.... meaning they make all major decisions and are responsible for all results of the team.... so if the game plans the past 2 years under lombardi were bad, its on staley not lombardi

Comment

• gzubeck
              Ines Sainz = Jet Bait!
              • Jan 2019
              • Tucson, AZ
              • Send PM

Originally posted by Charge! View Post

agree, but remember that all great coaches are in charge.... meaning they make all major decisions and are responsible for all results of the team.... so if the game plans the past 2 years under lombardi were bad, its on staley not lombardi
              You could say this but I think Staley was trying to preserve his friendship over common sense. How can you fire a dear friend after only one season and that one season was not that bad and was mostly on the defense for not going anywhere. Clearly after this season everyone's worse fears of Lombardi being a light weight at adapting became true. It almost cost Staley his job....

Comment

• Xenos
                Registered Charger Fan
                • Feb 2019
                • Send PM

Popper brought up the week before that he believed Reich was the exception and the #1 choice hire for OC because of his credentials and experience as a play caller. Otherwise, they were going with someone from the Shanahan/McVay tree because that’s the scheme that Staley believed in. Moore represents an OC whose qualifications was good enough that Staley looked past the fact that he ran a “different” scheme. Similar to the Reich scenario. Does that make sense?

Comment

• Xenos
                  Registered Charger Fan
                  • Feb 2019
                  • Send PM

Originally posted by gzubeck View Post

You could say this but I think Staley was trying to preserve his friendship over common sense. How can you fire a dear friend after only one season and that one season was not that bad and was mostly on the defense for not going anywhere. Clearly after this season everyone's worse fears of Lombardi being a light weight at adapting became true. It almost cost Staley his job....
                  Staley fired his friend Swinton after one season because he didn’t think ST was up to par. Lombardi had a good first season so of course he wasn’t fired. It had nothing to do with sentimentality.

Comment

• cmplxgal
                    Registered Charger Fan
                    • Jul 2017
                    • New Jersey
                    • Send PM

Comment

• Xenos
                      Registered Charger Fan
                      • Feb 2019
                      • Send PM

Statistical breakdown for Moore’s offense.

Comment

• gzubeck
                        Ines Sainz = Jet Bait!
                        • Jan 2019
                        • Tucson, AZ
                        • Send PM

Originally posted by Xenos View Post

Staley fired his friend Swinton after one season because he didn’t think ST was up to par. Lombardi had a good first season so of course he wasn’t fired. It had nothing to do with sentimentality.
                        You could say this but why didn't he fire him midway thru this past season? At this point he (Staley) was married to the situation and they (Chargers couldn't find anyone) to take over on such short notice. Might as well ride it out to the bitter conclusion we received in the JAGS loss. There's always a little politics in every equation.

Comment

• Bolt4Knob
                          Registered Charger Fan
                          • Dec 2019
                          • Send PM

Originally posted by Xenos View Post

Popper brought up the week before that he believed Reich was the exception and the #1 choice hire for OC because of his credentials and experience as a play caller. Otherwise, they were going with someone from the Shanahan/McVay tree because that’s the scheme that Staley believed in. Moore represents an OC whose qualifications was good enough that Staley looked past the fact that he ran a “different” scheme. Similar to the Reich scenario. Does that make sense?
                          I am glad Staley was open to finding the best candidate and not just somebody from the Shanahan/McVay lineage. Personally, I want an OC that adapts the scheme based on talent and not some playbook.

Justin Herbert has a skillset so hopefully Moore is able to create game plans based on that. Granted, Telesco and his department need to do a better job of finding talent for the system. A new scheme will be nice but having faster WR (or two really) plus a TE upgrade will also help that scheme. Justin can throw the ball downfield - get a couple guys who can go get the damn thing

Comment

Working...
                          X