• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Boltnut
    Registered Charger Fan
    • Feb 2019
    • Send PM

Originally posted by ChargersPowderBlue View Post

Perryman was the last Charger linebacker that could actually do good against the run. Which this team is sadly lacking.

Henry was overrated IMO. I like Everett and Parham just fine.
    The main problem with Perryman was his injury issues.
    If you look at what Staley is looking for in a LB, you'll see that he likes LB's that can read and react quickly in the run game. That's why Kendricks is here and Tranquill is gone.
    @LAR, Staley's LB's were Reader and Kenny Young. Both were above average when reading/reacting. Both were mid/late round draft picks. Young had speed.
    Staley wants his IDL to tie up OL... and wants his LB's to read/react and get to their gaps (ahead of the OL)... which Tranquill was bad at doing. Tranquill constantly read slowly and had OG's on him Unless he was run-blitzing, he was always late.

Comment

• Maniaque 6
      French Speaking Charger Fan
      • Jan 2019
      • Québec city
      • Send PM

Originally posted by Boltnut View Post

Exactly.

The other thing to consider is... other players @other positions.
      News flash TPB: There are other good players in the 1st round!!!
      The RB position has been devalued. The premium positions have always been QB, pass-rusher, and OT.
      Now that the NFL has slanted more and more toward the pass... you must include WR and CB into that equation, too.

There is a reason Ekeler has not been moved already... it has to do with value.
      Maybe a 3rd round deal can be made for Ekeler on draft day. If that's the case... there is your value.
      I don't think Eke will play elsewhere for 6 millions !

Comment

• Boltjolt
        Dont let the PBs fool ya
        • Jun 2013
        • Henderson, NV
        • Send PM

Originally posted by richpjr View Post

I'm not convinced that RB is our biggest need, especially one to solve with the 21st pick in the draft, so that sentiment can be argued to apply to us. You can make a case for several other positions as bigger problems with us.
        Agree, but i sure wouldnt pass on Bijan. He is the only RB id draft at 21. It also depends on what happens with Ekeler. If he gets traded on draft day then RB is more a concern.

Comment

• Boltnut
          Registered Charger Fan
          • Feb 2019
          • Send PM

Originally posted by Maniaque 6 View Post

I don't think Eke will play elsewhere for 6 millions !
          I think Ekeler will go wherever will pay him $8+ million... for 2+ years. The RB position's ability to earn is a short window.
          If a team with cap space (and has difficulty scoring) could get Ekeler on a trade/sign deal... they should do it! Ekeler's scoring production has been elite for the last 2 years.

Comment

• Lefty2SLO
            Moderate Skeptic
            • May 2022
            • Send PM

I think Ekeler will go wherever will pay him $8+ million... for 2+ years. The RB position's ability to earn is a short window.
            If a team with cap space (and has difficulty scoring) could get Ekeler on a trade/sign deal... they should do it! Ekeler's scoring production has been elite for the last 2 years.
            he does tend to vulture a lot of his TD's though . . . . .

Comment

• DerwinBosa
              Registered Charger Fan
              • Feb 2022
              • Send PM

The irony of the 2 teams you listed are their QBs could benefit from a strong RB like Robinson more than Herbert. But yes, my point is that if 20 other teams pass on him than they are thinking they don't need a great RB. Some have Robinson as the best player and most have him in their 5 top 5 players, but we know the position is devalued in today's league.
              It will most likely be a mistake for many of the 17 teams (Houston, Detroit, and Seattle all have two picks in the top 20) to pass on Bijan Robinson. It will be idiotic if we do, especially with our starting offensive line in place in front of our franchise quarterback. The running back position is not as important as quarterback, pass-rusher, left tackle, and so on, but when you have the potential to get a great player, take him over a lesser talent at a more important position. I don't think anyone in Dallas, Texas, has been upset about Jerry Jones using the fourth overall pick on Ezekiel Elliott in 2016.

Comment

• richpjr
                Registered Charger Fan
                • Jun 2013
                • Nashville
                • Send PM

Originally posted by DerwinBosa View Post

It will most likely be a mistake for many of the 17 teams (Houston, Detroit, and Seattle all have two picks in the top 20) to pass on Bijan Robinson. It will be idiotic if we do, especially with our starting offensive line in place in front of our franchise quarterback. The running back position is not as important as quarterback, pass-rusher, left tackle, and so on, but when you have the potential to get a great player, take him over a lesser talent at a more important position. I don't think anyone in Dallas, Texas, has been upset about Jerry Jones using the fourth overall pick on Ezekiel Elliott in 2016.
                Elliot had a great first 4 years and then suddenly got old. His stats have steadily been declining and he is currently unemployed. He is the prototypical reason why teams should be hesitant about spending a high draft pick on a RB. I will not be upset if we take Robinson at all - he is the best player in the draft, IMO. But I could certainly understand why we'd pass on him.

Comment

• beachcomber
                  & ramblin' man
                  • Jan 2019
                  • Send PM

top 15 * Kincaid
                  top 20 * Bijan
                  top 25 * Mayer
                  top 30 * Jahmyr/Darnell
                  top 35 * Hyatt
                  top 40 * O'Cyrus

don't think we're going D @21.... think this pick is gonna come down to who Moorbert likes for this O.
                  5/11 Fuaga, 37 Kamari Lassiter, 40 Sinnott, 67 Bralen Trice, 69 Cedric Gray, 105 Jaylen Wright, 110 Braelon Allen, 140 Joe Milton, 181 Khristian Boyd, Tylan Grable, 225 Daijun Edwards, 253 Miyan Williams

Comment

• Budsman
                    Registered Charger Fan
                    • May 2017
                    • Send PM

There are very few teams in the league that would highlight Ekeler like Lombardi did. I also dont think he sees nearly the type of production if he goes to the bears etc. it will be interesting to see but I doubt it.

I hope we can trade Ekeler save the cap space and resign Herbert before Burrow. If we wait until after it’s going to cost more imho.

Comment

• Budsman
                      Registered Charger Fan
                      • May 2017
                      • Send PM

The irony of the 2 teams you listed are their QBs could benefit from a strong RB like Robinson more than Herbert. But yes, my point is that if 20 other teams pass on him then they are thinking they don't need a great RB. Some have Robinson as the best player and most have him in their 5 top 5 players, but we know the position is devalued in today's league.
                      I just disagree that Herbert wouldn’t benefit from a strong Running back as much of not more than Geno and Murray.

imho Herbert’s arm makes a strong running game even more important. If teams have to respect the run then it opens up opportunities deep. As we saw with Ekeler and Lombardi when teams don’t respect your running game then they can take away the deep ball.

Comment

• richpjr
                        Registered Charger Fan
                        • Jun 2013
                        • Nashville
                        • Send PM

Originally posted by Budsman View Post

I just disagree that Herbert wouldn’t benefit from a strong Running back as much of not more than Geno and Murray.

imho Herbert’s arm makes a strong running game even more important. If teams have to respect the run then it opens up opportunities deep. As we saw with Ekeler and Lombardi when teams don’t respect your running game then they can take away the deep ball.
                        IMO, the deep ball was taken away because our QB battled rib and a torn labrum, our one speed WR was knocked out early, Keenan and MW missed long stretches, our best olineman missed most of the season and our center and RT were nicked up all year. I absolutely and not saying that an elite RB would not help our O - it would help all teams. My point was that those QBs need an elite RB because their QBs aren't going to be able to carry their teams. Again, Robinson is a stud and as I have said I think he is the highest rated player in the draft. But at a position that makes it hard to pick a RB early.

Comment

• Budsman
                          Registered Charger Fan
                          • May 2017
                          • Send PM

IMO, the deep ball was taken away because our QB battled rib and a torn labrum, our one speed WR was knocked out early, Keenan and MW missed long stretches, our best olineman missed most of the season and our center and RT were nicked up all year. I absolutely and not saying that an elite RB would not help our O - it would help all teams. My point was that those QBs need an elite RB because their QBs aren't going to be able to carry their teams. Again, Robinson is a stud and as I have said I think he is the highest rated player in the draft. But at a position that makes it hard to pick a RB early.
                          At 21 and for Bijan I don’t think it does. For lesser backs I agree but when you have an opportunity to have 5 years of cost controlled superstar RB play you take that at 21. Sure if it were Gibbs or someone else no way but you have to look at the talent and the position. 21 is a crap shoot anyway, Bijan is the closest thing to a sure thing if he falls to the chargers at 21 and he fits in nicely from a cost and talent perspective. Sure it’s a devalued position that’s why we can even dream about drafting him, if it were 15-20 years ago he’s top 3 easy.

Comment

Working...
                          X