• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Fouts2herbert
    Charger Fan since 1978
    • Sep 2021
    • Send PM

Originally posted by Maniaque 6 View Post
    The Chargers have a chance to grab the best DT and the best C in this draft.
    Make that trade with MIN !
    We've seen teams make trades early before the draft, if I recall the bear/panther trade was early last year, but something tells me that's not going to happen this year, IDK why...perhaps there are too many players involved in moving up or down and the teams holding those high picks are still undecided as to whether they will pass on a QB high or not...I'm not 100% sure that the Vikings trade happens with the Chargers anymore and I predicted that trade from very early on even before Hortiz's hiring was finalized and when Cousins was still potentially going back to Minnesota...
    "The author assumes no responsibility or liability for any errors or omissions in the content of this post. The information contained in this post is provided on an "as is" basis with no guarantees of completeness, accuracy, usefulness or timeliness..."​​

Comment

• blueman
      Registered Charger Fan
      • Jun 2013
      • Send PM

Originally posted by Topcat View Post

^ This...the BEST way to limit Mahomes is to generate a strong, consistent pass rush, AND contain the edges, AND to keep a spy on him to avoid his scrambles, AND to have tight coverage on Kelce to avoid those damaging dumpoffs...we will need some solid press corners to allow us to do this. We already have three good Edge rushers in Bosa, Mack and Tuli, but we sorely need a solid, run-stuffing DT or two who can also pass rush...we can't totally shut down Mahomes, but a good D can limit the damage...
      Down two scores sounds like a big O problem to me. Hell, sounds like the recent Chargers teams, even with Herbert.

Comment

• blueman
        Registered Charger Fan
        • Jun 2013
        • Send PM

I keep reading we’ll be in two WR sets 50% of the time as a reason not to draft WR high. But doesn’t that mean we’ll need three WRs a good chunk of the other 50%, and at critical must-score times? So who ya gonna trot out there with Palmer and QJ? Hope and prayer? Seen both those cats multiple times, they suck. We won’t be drafting top 5 for ten years, grab the elite talent while you can, then draft a late rounder to develop (cuz we got no X receivers right now at all..).

Palmer and QJ are nice complementary guys, but anybody think we can beat the Chiefs with them?

Comment

• Lone Bolt
          Oline-Tip of the Spear...
          • Feb 2019
          • McLean Illinois
          • Pipefitter Illinois State University
          • Send PM

Originally posted by Fouts2herbert View Post

We've seen teams make trades early before the draft, if I recall the bear/panther trade was early last year, but something tells me that's not going to happen this year, IDK why...perhaps there are too many players involved in moving up or down and the teams holding those high picks are still undecided as to whether they will pass on a QB high or not...I'm not 100% sure that the Vikings trade happens with the Chargers anymore and I predicted that trade from very early on even before Hortiz's hiring was finalized and when Cousins was still potentially going back to Minnesota...
          I think once the workouts, visits, and prodays are all but wrapped up, maybe a week or two before the draft, is when you could see Minn make their move...only caveat is if AZ decides to sit as long as possible, and sweat the suitors into upping their offers 11th hour.

AZ is in the drivers seat...only chance we have to benefit from this deal is if AZ decides they wanna stay top 5 for a big WR, and enlist us in a three way trade...fingers crossed.

Only other scenario where we benefit...AZ wants MHjr, but Jim doesnt blink, AZ stays at 4 to get him, and we get the trade deal all to ourselves...serious poker...gotta be sure AZ wants MHjr, but will lose out if they move back with Giants...

Love the intrigue...
          The TPB makes plans....And Jim Harbaugh laughs...

Final prediction: Latham OT, Colson LB, Sainristil CB, Rice WR, Zinter OG, Nourzad OC, MacLachlan TE, Vidal RB, Lovett DT

Comment

• DerwinBosa
            Registered Charger Fan
            • Feb 2022
            • Send PM

Originally posted by blueman View Post
            I keep reading we’ll be in two WR sets 50% of the time as a reason not to draft WR high. But doesn’t that mean we’ll need three WRs a good chunk of the other 50%, and at critical must-score times? So who ya gonna trot out there with Palmer and QJ? Hope and prayer? Seen both those cats multiple times, they suck. We won’t be drafting top 5 for ten years, grab the elite talent while you can, then draft a late rounder to develop (cuz we got no X receivers right now at all..).

Palmer and QJ are nice complementary guys, but anybody think we can beat the Chiefs with them?
            Palmer and QJ suck, but they're nice, complementary guys?

There are plenty of receivers in this draft. It doesn't have to be one of the three so-called "generational talents." I see no problem if Harbaugh and Hortiz choose a different direction in the first round.

This past season the Dolphins and 49ers were loaded with weapons. They didn't beat the Chiefs. The Bills had Stefon Diggs and Dalton Kincaid. They didn't beat the Chiefs. The Ravens had Zay Flowers, Odell Beckham, and Mark Andrews. They didn't beat the Chiefs.

I think we'll beat the Chiefs when we build a team the way Harbaugh has been successful in the past. None of his teams were built to air it out in the way the 2007 Patriots and 2013 Broncos did.

Comment

• blueman
              Registered Charger Fan
              • Jun 2013
              • Send PM

Palmer and QJ do not suck, was referring to past wideouts.

And to point out, we beat the Chiefs once with MW and Allen. Once. Even with two great WRs, we continually struggled to get that crunch time, game-winning score, against everybody. A solid D - which we don’t have - and a good running game - ditto - won’t cut it, ask SF.

Comment

• Topcat
                AKA "Pollcat"
                • Jan 2019
                • Send PM

Originally posted by blueman View Post
                Palmer and QJ do not suck, was referring to past wideouts.

And to point out, we beat the Chiefs once with MW and Allen. Once. Even with two great WRs, we continually struggled to get that crunch time, game-winning score, against everybody. A solid D - which we don’t have - and a good running game - ditto - won’t cut it, ask SF.
                That's why it's so important to have a solid ground game...

Comment

• Xenos
                  • Feb 2019
                  • Send PM

Originally posted by Formula 21 View Post

Who is your #1 WR?

Nabers steps up to compete. MHJ is hiding something.

I'm going with Nabers.
                  He’s not hiding anything. He asked teams if they wanted him to do his pro day and they all declined. Honestly there’s no point doing it and risking an injury anyways.

Comment

• dmac_bolt
                    Day Tripper
                    • May 2019
                    • North of the Lagoon
                    • Send PM

Originally posted by Charge! View Post

sorry, but ITS NOT THE AMOUNT OF POINTS YOU SCORE...... IT's WHEN YOU SCORE!.....

REID almost always scores on last drive of the first half..... and last score of 2nd half.... and the last score of OT.... and if you watch those drives, they are flawless and quick..... and defense no matter how great they are have zero anser......

Yes1...defense is d=needed but (due to todays rules...long ago you could flat out win with defense....but not anymore) DEFENSE keeps games close...... a great QB and TE win the game with clutch drives when it really counts!!!!

and BTW.... harrison and Bowers have been viewed as best generational talents in this draft for a couple of years....

When Bosa was drafted, he was viewed as best player in country for 2 straight years..... but in the few months before the draft, media and internet draft gurus started trying to pick on him and elevate others..... like Ramsey.....

just look at the film.... some players are just plain better than everyone else.....
                    no offense but that is utter horseshit. Total Points For and Total Points Against decide every game. Not the last points, but all points. Their DEFENSE kept them in games and saved them from their mediocre offensive production game after game, it was THE critical factor in their trophy. True all season long and true again in the playoffs. you need to go watch more film. Their offense produced very average results, their defense excelled. The fact is, mediocre WRs have hurt the Chiefs offensive production, its on the tape and in their stats.

SF averaged 29 ppg for the season, Chiefs held them to 19 in SB regulation, then held them to only a FG in OT. its the only reason they were even able to tie with only 19 pts and then go to OT and win.
                    Ravens averaged 28 ppg for the season, Chiefs held them to 10 pts in AFCCG. Chiefs only scored 17

of course, Refs were good to help Chiefs with -7ppg for opponents, +4ppg for their offense ... so there's that

WTF do Bosa and Ramsey have to do with the 2023 Chiefs, or the 49ers or Ravens for that matter? thats a weird non-sequeter tharrrrr ... stay focused bro!

Of course some players are better than others, did someone say otherwise anywhere? I sure didn't. What is your point you're throwing false arguments out to support - that they should draft Bowers? I'd be totally fine with drafting Bowers, I love him. I like several options, including MH2 or Nabers and trading back to the low 10's. I'm not myopically fixated - I have the vision to see THERE IS NOT JUST ONE WAY.
                    “Less is more? NO NO NO - MORE is MORE!”

Comment

• dmac_bolt
                      Day Tripper
                      • May 2019
                      • North of the Lagoon
                      • Send PM

Originally posted by Topcat View Post

^ This...the BEST way to limit Mahomes is to generate a strong, consistent pass rush, AND contain the edges, AND to keep a spy on him to avoid his scrambles, AND to have tight coverage on Kelce to avoid those damaging dumpoffs...we will need some solid press corners to allow us to do this. We already have three good Edge rushers in Bosa, Mack and Tuli, but we sorely need a solid, run-stuffing DT or two who can also pass rush...we can't totally shut down Mahomes, but a good D can limit the damage...
                      Smart post. Keys to fundamentally change our D's success are, in order:
                      1. A penetrating disruptive DT that collapses the front of the pocket and, better, can get to a QB
                      2. Sticky tough cover corner(s) that can press and disrupt receivers release at the LOS and stay with them tight as ticks for 3+ seconds
                      3. A strong fast ILB that can blitz the QB AND cover the TE

Comment

• CivilBolt
                        Registered Charger Fan
                        • Nov 2019
                        • Send PM

Originally posted by dmac_bolt View Post

Smart post. Keys to fundamentally change our D's success are, in order:
                        1. A penetrating disruptive DT that collapses the front of the pocket and, better, can get to a QB
                        2. Sticky tough cover corner(s) that can press and disrupt receivers release at the LOS and stay with them tight as ticks for 3+ seconds
                        3. A strong fast ILB that can blitz the QB AND cover the TE
                        I know it is not D but having O that can sustain drive so D is not hang out to dry.

Comment

• dmac_bolt
                          Day Tripper
                          • May 2019
                          • North of the Lagoon
                          • Send PM

Originally posted by CivilBolt View Post

I know it is not D but having O that can sustain drive so D is not hang out to dry.
                          I'm in favor of that too.

Comment

Working...
                          X