• Show
Clear All
  • Fleet 1
    TPB Founder
    • Jun 2013
    • Kauai
    • Send PM

2024 Chargers Roster Build Discussion - Free Agency | Camps | Player News

Well its almost the offseason for the NFL. And we have a lot of cap stuff the maneuver. Since there is a minor roster build discussion happening in the draft forum...i will move those posts to this thread. Much of that thread is 2022 so it goes back to far.

But the time stamps in this thread...eventhough im starting it today...will look off as there will be 2023 posts.

But this will be the Roster Build thread.

• beachcomber
    & ramblin' man
    • Jan 2019
    • Send PM

gonna stash this down here, as don't want to be much of a distraction to the current roster situation.... roster build 2024,

QB * Herbert, Joe Milton * so long Easton
    RB * Kelley, Dotson, Daijun Edwards, D’Ernest Johnson * bringin' in one vet FA and one rook to replace Ek 'n Spiller here
    WR * Keenan, Palmer, Guyton, Derius Davis, QJ, J Michael Sturdivant, Bru McCoy * two rooks to spell MW 'n Fehoko
    TE * Parham, Gerald Everett * gonna have to dig up a vet FA here as well
    OT * Slater, Pips, Jamaree * good bye Foster.... to the ps maybe
    OG * Zion Johnson, McFadden, Donovan Jackson * taking the latter over Cooper Beebe in the draft if I have the chance, and good bye Mr. Jaimes
    OC * Will Clapp, Sedrick Van Pran, Eli Cox * could be a pretty big drop off here from Corey

NT * Joseph Day, Otito Ogbonnia, Jerrod Clark, T’Vondre Sweat * good bye AJ, and not sure Okoye is ready to move off/on from the ps quite yet
    DT * Fox, Scott Matlock * would love a Jer'Zhan Newton or A'Shawn Robinson here, and....
    DE * Tuli Tuipulotu * would love me some JT Tuimoloau here, and.... bon voyage to the Bear
    ED * Khalil, Laiatu Latu, Dorance Armstrong * so long Mr. Rumph & Mr. Hollins, and.... if not Latu, then Bralen Trice or Jared Verse would be next men up
    LB * Niemann, Murray, Daiyan Henley, Cedric Gray, Eric Gentry, Denzel * so long Amen 'n Mr. Kendricks.... hello again Mr. Perryman ??
    CB * Asante, Ja’Sir Taylor, Deanne Leonard, Mike D. * need a vet in FA to spell Essang Bassey
    S * Alohi, JT Woods, Jaylinn Hawkins, Raheem Layne * minus Derwin, Mark Webb, Dean Marlowe & AJ Finley.... still think we'll be ok for a bit back here

PK * Cameron Dicker * how is Dustin Hopkins doing ??
    PT * JK Scott
    LS * Josh Harris

HC * Jim Harbaugh
    OC * Joe Brady * given that Frank Reich is unavailable
    DC * Ron Rivera

​
    RT Taliese Fuaga, DT Jer'Zhan Newton, NT T'Vondre Sweat, LB Cedric Gray, TE Ben Sinnott, RB Daijun Edwards, FS Cole Bishop, QB Joe Milton

Comment

• Boltnut
      Registered Charger Fan
      • Feb 2019
      • Send PM

Signings, cuts, trades, and restructures (Pre-draft):

Sign Conner Williams (Cut Corey Linsley).
      Trade Joey Bosa (3rd rounder), trade MW for a 4th rounder.
      Restructure Keenan (2026) and Mack (2026).
      Re-sign the ERFA's and Joshua Kelley. Andrew Farmer, Raheem Layne, Cameron Dicker, Foster Sarell.
      44 on the active roster and 9 draft picks Pre-Draft. $26.5 million under the cap.

Draft:
      12: R1 P12 CB Denzel Burke - Ohio State
      44: R2 P12 EDGE Bralen Trice - Washington
      76: R3 P12 TE Jaheim Bell - Florida State
      112: R4 P12 RB Devin Neal - Kansas
      148: R5 P12 S Rod Moore - Michigan
      187: R6 P12 C Jake Renfro - Wisconsin
      231: R7 P12 LB Jack Kiser - Notre Dame​

Also picked up IDL Kris Jenkins (Bosa trade) and WR Roman Wilson (MW trade).

Comment

• Boltnut
        Registered Charger Fan
        • Feb 2019
        • Send PM

Nutty's Roster:

QB: Herbert
        RB: Neal (4th), Kelley, Spiller, Dotson
        WR: KA, Palmer, QJ, DD, Roman Wilson (4th)
        TE: Bell (3rd), Parham, Smarrt
        OT: Slater, Pipkins, Sarell
        OG: Zion, Samaree, McFadden, Jaimes
        OC: Connor Williams, Renfro (6th)

NT: Tito
        DT: SJD, Fox, Jenkins (3rd), Matlock
        OLB: Mack, Tuli, Brice (2nd), Rumph, Farmer
        ILB: Kendricks, Henly, Niemann, Kiser (7th)
        CB: Burke (1st), ASJ, Ja'Sir, Leonard
        Safety: Derwin, Woods, Moore (5th), Layne, Finley

On the roster (and need an upgrade).
        Trainer (T)
        Ozodinma (CB)

$26.5 million cap space probably allows for a decent slot CB. Backup QB would be the other spot.

Comment

• beachcomber
          & ramblin' man
          • Jan 2019
          • Send PM

would be surprised if Telesco goes, and so.... 'tis once again up to us die hards to do our darnedest.... to give him and young John the best intel we can, and as.... the armchairs that we are,

(of course Brandon is gonna be the scapegoat, and.... don't think he is lacking whatsoever in intel, just think he's got a little too much Dukakis to his game, and not enough HC to his modus operandi ?)

QB * we need a decent backup to Herbo
          RB * we need an RB1 and an Ekeler replacement back, and.... to be clear, that's two RBs
          WR * we have Keenan, Palmer, QJ & DD.... Guyton is a FA and MW is overpaid and can't stay on the field, and even when he does he is oft @half speed or so, and so.... draft someone
          TE * we need to rewind the tape and draft Kincaid or LaPorta, and.... since that ain't happening.... think we need to re sign Gerald to a one year deal and nab a FA TE as well here
          OT * Slater's ankle has been a silent killer, and Pips is questionable, and whether he's on the field or not.... think we need to move Salyer in w/this group, and.... there is talent @RT in this draft
          OG * think we gotta add someone and shore up the leaks in this Oline.... Cooper Beebe or Donovan Jackson would be my first choices as future Chargers
          OC * counting on Corey this long was well beyond optimistic, and.... just like Tuli being the only guy that could spell Bosa last go 'round, Van Pran is the only real option @the OC this go 'round

NT * T'Vondre Sweat is climbing boards, and if he's there round two, gotta give that some serious consideration, 'specially if you can get a second for Joey
          DT * JerZhan Newton is another player that would really help our cause, and for the if and when he might be there.... @#9 ?? !!
          DE * JT Tuimoloau is heralded by some as a top ten talent, and again.... someone that would greatly help our cause on the edge
          ED * personally am keeping Khalil around for @least another season, and.... plenty to choose from here round one, and w/the likes of Laiatu Latu, Bralen Trice and Jared Verse
          LB * if we don't sign the either of Murray nor Amen, then we've got some work to do here.... not to mention if Kendricks is a cap casualty.... might be somebody mid rounds to value here
          CB * if no Mike D. am more of the mind to look in FA to hold things down, as we still have a leaky Oline, and an emergent Dline, that in my world takes priority over the skill positions
          S * to Derwin or not to James.... don't think he's gonna be a Mack/Keenan type difference maker worth keeping around, as would rather trade him to reinforce the IOL.... we have the bodies here

HC * not sure he can overcome team Tommy John, and.... dude is the clear cut obvious choice, and in whom we will be asked to trust in for the yet again, upcoming changeover.... (Harbaugh)
          Last edited by beachcomber; 11-27-2023, 03:24 PM.
          RT Taliese Fuaga, DT Jer'Zhan Newton, NT T'Vondre Sweat, LB Cedric Gray, TE Ben Sinnott, RB Daijun Edwards, FS Cole Bishop, QB Joe Milton

Comment

• Leslie Grossman
            Registered Charger Fan
            • Nov 2020
            • Oklahoma
            • Send PM

Originally posted by Boltnut View Post

Re-sign the ERFA's and Joshua Kelley. Andrew Farmer, Raheem Layne, Cameron Dicker, Foster Sarell.
            44 on the active roster and 9 draft picks Pre-Draft. $26.5 million under the cap.

Draft:

Nice work here. I’ll have to sadly agree the best we can hope for is a late 3rd from a contender for Bosa and a late 4th for MW.
            Im hoping for McKinstry or Wiggins in the 1st if it’s a corner.

Comment

• Boltnut
              Registered Charger Fan
              • Feb 2019
              • Send PM

Originally posted by Leslie Grossman View Post

Nice work here. I’ll have to sadly agree the best we can hope for is a late 3rd from a contender for Bosa and a late 4th for MW.
              Im hoping for McKinstry or Wiggins in the 1st if it’s a corner.
              Yeah, I rarely get McKinstry. After McKinstry, there are several CB's that seem to be ranked between 10-25... Wiggins being one of them. I like Kalen King, too.

Comment

• Bolt4Knob
                Registered Charger Fan
                • Dec 2019
                • Send PM

Draft:

I like the Connor Williams signing as OC is a need for sure. Linsley will probably retire and for cap reasons, might leave him on the roster until June 1 so spread out the cap.

I am not sure Bosa will get a 3rd. I think something around a 4 and maybe a 2025 5th or 6th. Granted, if he gets a 3rd - that would be great
                Williams - with the ACL -- truly have no idea. Plus the 20m salary - I think he will be released. Just so hard to judge value with the ACL

the rest of it, looks good but if somehow the Chargers could get a certain TE from Georgia in R1 - I wouldn't object

Comment

• Boltnut
                  Registered Charger Fan
                  • Feb 2019
                  • Send PM

Originally posted by Bolt4Knob View Post

I like the Connor Williams signing as OC is a need for sure. Linsley will probably retire and for cap reasons, might leave him on the roster until June 1 so spread out the cap.

I am not sure Bosa will get a 3rd. I think something around a 4 and maybe a 2025 5th or 6th. Granted, if he gets a 3rd - that would be great
                  Williams - with the ACL -- truly have no idea. Plus the 20m salary - I think he will be released. Just so hard to judge value with the ACL

the rest of it, looks good but if somehow the Chargers could get a certain TE from Georgia in R1 - I wouldn't object
                  Yeah, I hadn't considered a post June 1st cut w/Linsley.

When Bosa plays... he's very good. The injury concerns could push him to a 4th rounder.
                  Same goes for MW. ACL's aren't career ending. He's one of the best 50/50 guys. Someone should bite.
                  The trade team will have to have cap space and a need.

Philosophically, I'm opposed to selecting a TE in the first round. IMO there are better players @more impactful positions in the first.

Comment

• Leslie Grossman
                    Registered Charger Fan
                    • Nov 2020
                    • Oklahoma
                    • Send PM

1 Brock Bowers TE
                    2 Trice/Tuiomoloau/Braswell Edge
                    3 Zach Frazier C
                    4 Cam Hart CB
                    5 O Line
                    Last edited by Leslie Grossman; 01-07-2024, 08:44 PM.

Comment

• Bolt4Knob
                      Registered Charger Fan
                      • Dec 2019
                      • Send PM

Yeah, I hadn't considered a post June 1st cut w/Linsley.

When Bosa plays... he's very good. The injury concerns could push him to a 4th rounder.
                      Same goes for MW. ACL's aren't career ending. He's one of the best 50/50 guys. Someone should bite.
                      The trade team will have to have cap space and a need.

Philosophically, I'm opposed to selecting a TE in the first round. IMO there are better players @more impactful positions in the first.
                      The problem is Bosa doesn't play - he gets hurt too much
                      MW p- coming off an ACL - same thing -- plus he is due to make $20m so that would probably need to be reduced and he just isn't that good. 50/50 balls is not enough.

After yesterday, I am going to sell high on Khalil Mack as well
                      As for Bowers or Nabers or OT -- I think today, would want to trade down - Chargers need a LOT
                      And personally if its top 10 - of course talent but I really want OL and IDL fixed. It starts at the point of attack

Comment

• Boltnut
                        Registered Charger Fan
                        • Feb 2019
                        • Send PM

Yeah, I get it (with Bosa and MW). Get whatever you can with those two. If you can't get anything in trade for them... cut them anyways. They save $34 million against the cap... whether you trade them or cut them. A lousy team, with a lot of cap space, could be willing to take a risk on them. It's not like most 4th rounders make an impact anyways. When those guys are healthy, they impact a game.

Mack and Keenan are the only players doing anything on a consistent basis. I'd keep them. Extending them saves more cap money. People have been telling me that Keenan is "slowing down" for a couple of years now. How did he respond...? By having his best year yet. IMO, Mack and Keenan have another 2 or 3 years left.

If we're drafting in the Top-10... I'm going CB, Edge rusher, or even OT. Those are the premium positions. Taking a TE just doesn't make sense to me. Most of the TE's taken in the 1st just haven't provided a ROI. The exception might be Hockenson... and even he was traded before his rookie contract was up. Our CB starters are junk. You really need 3 edge rushers now... especially if Mack is retained. Rotate them and keep them fresh. Protect yourself against injury. Pipkins is crap. Most raved about his re-signing. I was against re-signing him. He's not very good... and obviously can't protect well enough to keep your QB healthy or allow enough time to pass deep. That re-sign was a waste of money.

Comment

Working...
                        X