How Do We Fix the Deficiency at Receiver?

Collapse
X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Go Chargers go
    Registered Charger Fan
    • Oct 2023
    • Send PM

Sounds like a good receiver should be kept. Unless they aren’t willing to take a pay cut. Then you guy your WR and hope and pray you draft the right ones

Comment

• BlazingBolt
      SLAM DUNK!
      • Jun 2013
      • East County San Diego
      • Bolt fanatic
      • Send PM

I am hearing plenty of the "TRUST THE FRONT OFFICE NO MATTER WHAT THEY DO THEY KNOW WHAT THEY ARE DOING!" sentiment but I am feeling like QBs have been heating up and the value of the #5 pick has been increasing and IF we do not get a premium WR I will not be happy and have to add to the fire these clowns satire thread.

We have a desperate need at WR and WR is projected to be the best player in the draft outside of QB position. QB WR DB or Pass rusher are the best positions to take top 5 as far as positional value and we don't need QB or Pass rush in that spot and DB is not rated as highly. WE CAN NOT PASS ON THE BEST PLAYER IN THE DRAFT AT A POSITION OF DESPERATE NEED or I will be very upset!

MAYBE MAYBE MAYBE if we get Bowers and the best DB in the draft it may still my anger but I WANT MY STUD QB TO HAVE A PREMIUM WEAPON TO THROW TO, (because its very hard to be a stud QB with no weapons)
      migrated from chargerfans.net then the thenflforum.com then here

Comment

• QSmokey
        Guardedly Optimistic
        • Jun 2013
        • Kuna, Idaho
        • Retired
        • Send PM

Originally posted by BlazingBolt View Post
        I will not be happy and have to add to the fire these clowns satire thread.
        Please don't.

Comment

• jamrock
          lawyers, guns and money
          • Sep 2017
          • Send PM

I am hearing plenty of the "TRUST THE FRONT OFFICE NO MATTER WHAT THEY DO THEY KNOW WHAT THEY ARE DOING!" sentiment but I am feeling like QBs have been heating up and the value of the #5 pick has been increasing and IF we do not get a premium WR I will not be happy and have to add to the fire these clowns satire thread.

We have a desperate need at WR and WR is projected to be the best player in the draft outside of QB position. QB WR DB or Pass rusher are the best positions to take top 5 as far as positional value and we don't need QB or Pass rush in that spot and DB is not rated as highly. WE CAN NOT PASS ON THE BEST PLAYER IN THE DRAFT AT A POSITION OF DESPERATE NEED or I will be very upset!

MAYBE MAYBE MAYBE if we get Bowers and the best DB in the draft it may still my anger but I WANT MY STUD QB TO HAVE A PREMIUM WEAPON TO THROW TO, (because its very hard to be a stud QB with no weapons)
          Blazing bolt on fire

Comment

• Boltjolt
            Dont let the PBs fool ya
            • Jun 2013
            • Henderson, NV
            • Send PM

We beg to differ!
            signed,

Tom Brady & Pat Mahomes

Comment

• Parcells
              Registered Charger Fan
              • Jun 2013
              • Send PM

Originally posted by Boltjolt View Post

We beg to differ!
              signed,

Tom Brady & Pat Mahomes
              Mahomes had Tyreek and still has Kelce. Brady had plenty of elite receiving targets over the years: Moss, Welker, Gronk, Hernandez, Edelman, Godwin, Antonio Brown, Mike Evans.

Remember what Brady did to try and recruit Brown.

Don’t get confused, an elite receiving target changes everything for a defense. As good as Keenan was, he wasn’t a game wrecking receiver that defenses had to plan around. Same for Mike Williams. Keenan was great at certain things, but I don’t think I’d ever say he had a season where he was a top 5 WR. I do think that paired with the right QB (like Herbert), that MHJ or Nabers can absolutely be a top 5 WR.

Comment

• blueman
                Registered Charger Fan
                • Jun 2013
                • Send PM

Originally posted by Parcells View Post

Mahomes had Tyreek and still has Kelce. Brady had plenty of elite receiving targets over the years: Moss, Welker, Gronk, Hernandez, Edelman, Godwin, Antonio Brown, Mike Evans.

Don’t get confused, an elite receiving target changes everything for a defense. As good as Keenan was, he wasn’t a game wrecking receiver that defenses had to plan around. Same for Mike Williams. Keenan was great at certain things, but I don’t think I’d ever say he had a season where he was a top 5 WR. I do think that paired with the right QB (like Herbert), that MHJ or Nabers can absolutely be a top 5 WR.
                We need an X receiver, don’t have one on the roster (and Horitz didn’t even sign a FA placeholder early). Hard to believe that isn’t a target in the draft.

That said, MHJ is that all over the place. Nabers and Odunze were part time X, also worked slot a lot (I think I read Nabors took the majority of his snaps at slot?), also gadget plays (saw a sweet WR sweep Odunze did in a highlight reel). But of the three MHJ is the true X, and plays at a ridiculously high level. Also of the three I think he opens up the running game the most, can’t see many teams not cheating a second defender to him even as a rook, just that explosive.

It would appear Harbaugh has done his job pimping McCarthy into the top 4 QB discussion, and right now that slots MHJ to us. I know I know, trade down for picks, but talk about a complete O. Add some OL, a serious blocking TE, complimentary RB, that’s half a freakin’ amazing draft. The other half can be D (day two picks, CB and IDL, please and thank you). I get the depth argument, but we need starters desperately, and I can see JH2 filling depth with later picks cuz he has a hotline to good college players right now (and there will be post-draft FA signings as well).

Fully expecting a killer draft however it falls, but can really see the case for adding that (cheap!) elite talent at a spot where we have literally nothing.

Comment

• Parcells
                  Registered Charger Fan
                  • Jun 2013
                  • Send PM

Originally posted by blueman View Post

We need an X receiver, don’t have one on the roster (and Horitz didn’t even sign a FA placeholder early). Hard to believe that isn’t a target in the draft.

That said, MHJ is that all over the place. Nabers and Odunze were part time X, also worked slot a lot (I think I read Nabors took the majority of his snaps at slot?), also gadget plays (saw a sweet WR sweep Odunze did in a highlight reel). But of the three MHJ is the true X, and plays at a ridiculously high level. Also of the three I think he opens up the running game the most, can’t see many teams not cheating a second defender to him even as a rook, just that explosive.

It would appear Harbaugh has done his job pimping McCarthy into the top 4 QB discussion, and right now that slots MHJ to us. I know I know, trade down for picks, but talk about a complete O. Add some OL, a serious blocking TE, complimentary RB, that’s half a freakin’ amazing draft. The other half can be D (day two picks, CB and IDL, please and thank you). I get the depth argument, but we need starters desperately, and I can see JH2 filling depth with later picks cuz he has a hotline to good college players right now (and there will be post-draft FA signings as well).

Fully expecting a killer draft however it falls, but can really see the case for adding that (cheap!) elite talent at a spot where we have literally nothing.
                  Nabers is special and does enough other stuff well that I’ll be ecstatic with him if that’s who we end up with. But make no mistake about it, MHJ is not only the highest floor player in this draft, he’s exactly what we need. As a true X, he can line up outside, on the line of scrimmage. There are a few elite corners in the league that might be able to be on an island alone against him, but the vast majority of teams will have to generally commit a safety or second corner to help in coverage. Combine that with Herbert’s arm and the ability to make all the throws (including 15 yard outs), and defenses are essentially left with 9 men to go against the other 9 guys and Herbert.

And then there’s QJ…the best chance to salvage something out of him is getting a dominant X like MHJ. That will allow with to play in the slot, run quick slants and screens, and do some of the stuff where he actually had success at TCU.

Comment

• Boltjolt
                    Dont let the PBs fool ya
                    • Jun 2013
                    • Henderson, NV
                    • Send PM

Originally posted by Parcells View Post

Mahomes didn't have Tyreek his last two SBs is my point there. Had a second round rookie and mediocre other WRs and one they benched.

And you shouldn't include the TEs here. We all know they had elite TEs.
                    We are talking about WRs and I'm also talking about when he was with NE.
                    Edelman hardly played when Welker was there and didn't get his chance til Welker left.

Welker as we know was a UDFA. Edelman a UDFA. Point is we can get good WRs after round 1,... especially in this draft.

Comment

• blueman
                      Registered Charger Fan
                      • Jun 2013
                      • Send PM

Mahomes didn't have Tyreek his last two SBs is my point there. Had a second round rookie and mediocre other WRs and one they benched.

Edelman hardly played when Welker was there and didn't get his chance til Welker left.

Welker as we know was a UDFA. Edelman a UDFA. Point is we can get good WRs after round 1,... especially in this draft.
                      And good OL, TE, RB, LB…I’m good with any of it.

Comment

• sonorajim
                        Registered Charger Fan
                        • Jan 2019
                        • Send PM

You can find top players in history at any position that were UDFAs or mid to late picks. I think some luck may have been involved.

Consensus BPAs at a position are considerably higher % bullseyes. Which means nothing about what Hortiz will do.

We're guessing to kill time, get to know more about the players.

Go Bolts!

Comment

• Velo
                          Ride!
                          • Aug 2019
                          • Everywhere
                          • Leave the gun, take the cannolis
                          • Send PM

Point is we can get good WRs after round 1,... especially in this draft.
                          There are some very good WRs who are going to be drafted in the 2nd and 3rd rounds, maybe the 4th too. Chances are, and history tells us, the best WR of his deep class will be a 2nd day pick.

Comment

Working...
                          X