• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Sgt. Pepper
    Registered Charger Fan
    • Apr 2019
    • Send PM

Originally posted by like54ninjas View Post

It is the medical recovery timetable for a PE.
    GOOGLE it.

Cost NFL OL Clint Boiling his career this offseason (retired).
    Lol. Because the internet is always right. :More Q Please::2cents:

Comment

• Bolt-O
      Administrator
      • Jun 2013
      • Send PM

PE's are no joke, but if he can get his cleared from his chest, and off the blood thinners, he can get back. Depending on where the clot originated, the docs can also install a trap to catch possible clots that could move to his lungs. Of course, the doctors know best, they have his case on watch, and he's already two months into his therapy.

Comment

• Boltgang74
        We Are The Storm!
        • Aug 2018
        • Send PM

Yeah this o line better step up or TT seriously fucked up.Like seriously could have torpedoed this season.If you want to win a S.B. with Rivers you need to give him a fair shot with decent protection.Damn I'm tired of this broken record.

Comment

• Boltgang74
          We Are The Storm!
          • Aug 2018
          • Send PM

Originally posted by Steve View Post

I call bullshit on this. IT is fine in the abstract, but completely misses the point. Either give the names of players who were realistic options or forget it. There are few decent FA in this years FA class, and I put our FA class up against most of them. We addressed most of our areas of need, at least the ones that could be addressed through FA. If you have something specific, fine, but Taylor's deal was fair market value for a QB and we would have needed a shitload to sign a player who was going to add anything on the field.

There were no good OL in FA this year and we would still have needed a vet QB as a backup, which isn't a strong list either. The deal signed a 1 year, $3.5 mil contract with $2.5 mil towards next season with a $5 mil salary which is only going to get if Rivers is a FA next year. If we resign Rivers, Taylor is going to get cut, or have to decide if he wants to take less to stay on the roster.

Any of the other FA QB are not going to give us any chance of winning if they had to play. The top of the list is Robert Griffin, AJ McCarron, Trevor Simian, or Mike Glennon. None of them can match Tyrod statistically as a passer, and none is even close as a runner. Tyrod is on the roster as insurance in case we can't resign Rivers next season. He isn't going to get most of the money in it unless Rivers is unsigned. And he is the only real choice as a backup QB. The only backup QB better than him is Bridgewater, who is much more expensive, and is still an for next season, since he only signed a 1 year deal.

It would have except that Tyrod Taylor money doesn't get anyone who can play on the OL. The going rate for OL in FA would have gotten us the likes of Kendall Lamm (expected to be a backup RT for the Browns), Jared Veldheer (who retired on NE), Cameron Fleming (Backup RT for Dal), or Ereck Flowers (who is not likely to even make the roster in Washington based on minicamp). None of those players was even brought in to compete for a starting job for teams who need OL help.

I wish people would stop making stupid comments like this without at least looking at the lists of FA to see what we could have gotten.
          Wouldn't be sweatin F.A. market if ole TT could draft a decent O lineman.Dude is straight ass when it comes to drafting protection for our most important player.

Comment

• Formula 21
            The Future is Now
            • Jun 2013
            • Republic of San Diego
            • Send PM

Originally posted by Sgt. Pepper View Post

Who is saying minimum four months? That is opinion, not coming from Okung or the Chargers.
            Here's the best available scientific data, not opinion. I posted this yesterday.

Yesterday, 12:34 PM

Venous Thromboembolism Within Professional American Sport Leagues

Meghan Bishop, MD,* Matthew Astolfi, MS,* Eric Padegimas, MD,* Peter DeLuca, MD, and Sommer Hammoud, MD

Author information Copyright and License information Disclaimer

This article has been cited by other articles in PMC.

Go to:
            Abstract

Background:

Numerous reports have described players in professional American sports leagues who have been sidelined with a deep vein thrombosis (DVT) or a pulmonary embolism (PE), but little is known about the clinical implications of these events in professional athletes.

Purpose:

To conduct a retrospective review of injury reports from the National Hockey League (NHL), Major League Baseball (MLB), the National Basketball Association (NBA), and the National Football League (NFL) to take a closer look at the incidence of DVT/PE, current treatment approaches, and estimated time to return to play in professional athletes.

Study Design:

Descriptive epidemiology study.

Methods:

An online search of all team injury and media reports of DVT/PE in NHL, MLB, NBA, and NFL players available for public record was conducted by use of Google, PubMed, and SPORTDiscus. Searches were conducted using the professional team name combined with blood clot, pulmonary embolism, and deep vein thrombosis.

Results:F = 5.69, P = .002). No significant difference was found regarding time of return to play between sports.

Conclusion:

VTE in professional athletes led to an average of 6.7 months lost from play. The majority of athletes were able to return to play after a period of anticoagulation or surgery. Those with an upper extremity DVT returned to play faster than those with other types of VTE. Further study is needed to look into modifiable risk factors for these events and to establish treatment and return-to-play guidelines to ensure the safety of these athletes.

Time to return to play after a PE, 4 months to 17 months.

Now, if you excuse me, I have some Charger memories to suppress.
            The Wasted Decade is done.
            Build Back Better.

Comment

• Sgt. Pepper
              Registered Charger Fan
              • Apr 2019
              • Send PM

Originally posted by Formula 21 View Post

Here's the best available scientific data, not opinion. I posted this yesterday.

Yesterday, 12:34 PM

Time to return to play after a PE, 4 months to 17 months.
              It's still speculation on how much Okung will miss because we aren't privy to the specific information about his case.

Comment

• wu-dai clan
                Smooth Operation
                • May 2017
                • Send PM

Originally posted by Sgt. Pepper View Post
                It's still speculation on how much Okung will miss because we aren't privy to the specific information about his case.
                Halloween, according to Dr wu's calculations here...

Da Bears.
                We do not play modern football.

Comment

• SDBORN
                  Registered Charger Fan
                  • May 2017
                  • Send PM

Originally posted by Steve View Post

I call bullshit on this. IT is fine in the abstract, but completely misses the point. Either give the names of players who were realistic options or forget it. There are few decent FA in this years FA class, and I put our FA class up against most of them. We addressed most of our areas of need, at least the ones that could be addressed through FA. If you have something specific, fine, but Taylor's deal was fair market value for a QB and we would have needed a shitload to sign a player who was going to add anything on the field.

There were no good OL in FA this year and we would still have needed a vet QB as a backup, which isn't a strong list either. The deal signed a 1 year, $3.5 mil contract with $2.5 mil towards next season with a $5 mil salary which is only going to get if Rivers is a FA next year. If we resign Rivers, Taylor is going to get cut, or have to decide if he wants to take less to stay on the roster.

Any of the other FA QB are not going to give us any chance of winning if they had to play. The top of the list is Robert Griffin, AJ McCarron, Trevor Simian, or Mike Glennon. None of them can match Tyrod statistically as a passer, and none is even close as a runner. Tyrod is on the roster as insurance in case we can't resign Rivers next season. He isn't going to get most of the money in it unless Rivers is unsigned. And he is the only real choice as a backup QB. The only backup QB better than him is Bridgewater, who is much more expensive, and is still an for next season, since he only signed a 1 year deal.

It would have except that Tyrod Taylor money doesn't get anyone who can play on the OL. The going rate for OL in FA would have gotten us the likes of Kendall Lamm (expected to be a backup RT for the Browns), Jared Veldheer (who retired on NE), Cameron Fleming (Backup RT for Dal), or Ereck Flowers (who is not likely to even make the roster in Washington based on minicamp). None of those players was even brought in to compete for a starting job for teams who need OL help.

I wish people would stop making stupid comments like this without at least looking at the lists of FA to see what we could have gotten.
                  I am not of the opinion that acquiring another FA backup QB was necessary to begin with. We go as far as old reliable Rivers takes us for the time being. And you do realize you can combine the money that was spent on Tyrod Taylor with other available cap space to acquire someone right?

There were several FA options availabe at various positions that could have been acquired. That's not to say that money had to even be used right then and there by the way...

But since you can't fathom the rationale of other opinions that differ from your own (evident by you calling comments on a discussion board stupid), I'm not going to bother discussing it further with you.

Comment

• Formula 21
                    The Future is Now
                    • Jun 2013
                    • Republic of San Diego
                    • Send PM

I believe Taylor can win games for us, so I like the signing.
                    Now, if you excuse me, I have some Charger memories to suppress.
                    The Wasted Decade is done.
                    Build Back Better.

Comment

• Steve
                      Administrator
                      • Jun 2013
                      • South Carolina
                      • Meteorologist
                      • Send PM

Originally posted by Lone Bolt View Post

Easy killer....while I agree with your post, you rode the guy pretty hard...."stupid comments..."?
                      You're right, that was too harsh.

In an ideal world, I actually agree with it. If there were all kinds of players at all kinds of skill ranges, then yes, it would have been better to put the money into a championship.

my point is that it is not an ideal world, and only so many players out there. NFL Fa is not a restaurant where we can just go out and order what we want. There are only so many good players, and most of our positions of need there really were a lot of weak choices, or more likley no real choices to speak of.

The Tyrod Taylor thing was a pretty good use of salary cap space and potentially sets us up for next offseason, while getting us the 2nd best QB in FA (I still like Teddy Bridgewater better, but he would never sign with us).

Comment

• Steve
                        Administrator
                        • Jun 2013
                        • South Carolina
                        • Meteorologist
                        • Send PM

Originally posted by SDBORN View Post

I am not of the opinion that acquiring another FA backup QB was necessary to begin with. We go as far as old reliable Rivers takes us for the time being. And you do realize you can combine the money that was spent on Tyrod Taylor with other available cap space to acquire someone right?

There were several FA options availabe at various positions that could have been acquired. That's not to say that money had to even be used right then and there by the way...

But since you can't fathom the rationale of other opinions that differ from your own (evident by you calling comments on a discussion board stupid), I'm not going to bother discussing it further with you.
                        The reason I put it as a "stupid comment", which was too harsh a comment....

But I can't stand the people who say I would rather we do this........

Forget that, that is an academic argument that adds no value. Give us some names. Give us the positions. And don't just throw out names from a list, make them guys we can actually spend money on that might help. But it is a comment without value if you just say I don't like TT moves and provide nothing else in return.

We went out and added help at LB. I am not thrilled with it until you realize that there were no better option in our price range. DT we hit via the draft, and I love the addition of Broughton and Tillery. The only other area I can really think of as a position of need was OL, and there was no help. Not at the time, not now.

We got the backup QB who sets us up for next year (and Rivers is not signed ... yet). Signing Taylor to a 1 year deal with a $2.5 mill downpayment on a 2nd year seems like a good deal, but if there is a BETTER option name it?

Comment

• blueman
                          Registered Charger Fan
                          • Jun 2013
                          • Send PM

Warm body?

Comment

Working...
                          X