• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Sgt. Pepper
    Registered Charger Fan
    • Apr 2019
    • Send PM

Originally posted by Boltjolt View Post

Jones Drew was over 200 lbs, around 210 and I'd love it if Ekeker was 10 lbs heavier. Jones Drew after 2011 and 3 seasons of 300 carries, flamed out. Which could happen to anyone really but the prior seasons before he didn't have 200 carries.
    Gore is listed at 212 lbs.

I like Ekeler, and it's not that I think he will be hurt right away,... I just don't think he is a cowbell type and is the best we have at what he is for us and would like to keep him there. He is Ronnie Harmon.
    MJD measured 5-6.6, 207 lbs at the Combine the year he was drafted, 2006.

Ekeler was listed at 5-7.5, 195 lbs at his pro day. Don't forget, the Ekeler is pound for pound strongest man on the team. Exceptionally strong athlete.

MJD began his career much like Ekeler, a complementary back to Fred Taylor in Jacksonville. In his fourth season he got the opportunity to become the feature back, and exploded for 1,400 yards in 2009. He put up more than 1,300 yards in 2010 and more than 1,600 yards in 2011. He peaked that year at age 26 then injuries caught up with him and he declined rapidly, retiring at age 29.
    Last edited by Sgt. Pepper; 07-21-2019, 04:56 PM.

Comment

• Steve
      Administrator
      • Jun 2013
      • South Carolina
      • Meteorologist
      • Send PM

Originally posted by jamrock View Post

Ekeler has been on the team for 2 years. If he was a better #1 than MG III he would've been starting. He's better suited as a change of pace back. The staff knows this.
      I'm not saying that Ekeler is the guy who should be the featured back. I am saying:

1). We should ditch the idea of a featured RB, because frankly, who needs it. We have a group of good RB, who because they play on ST will all be active on game day. We might as well use all of them. Most NFL teams use a RB by committee approach and it works fine for teams that have won SB's.

2). The old idea of 100-yard games is completely arbitrary. We had games we won last year where Gordon didn't get 100 yards, games where all of our backs combined for over 100 yards, and games where we did not get 100 yards. You can win games in different ways. I think we need some balance, but it doesn't matter how we get it.

3). If anything, last years SB proves that using a single featured RB is a bad idea, since the Rams had their #1 guy unavailable when it counted.

4). Ekeler has been one of the more dynamic change of pace backs and better receiving RB in football, we should try to get him in the slot to expand on the package we started to use last year (regular RB and Ekeler as the slot receiver/runner).

5). In terms of body density, Ekeler is about the same as Gordon. Ekeler is now over 200 lbs, and is 5'10", gordon 6'1" (kinda almost too tall) and 215 lb, JJ (6'0", 198lb), DN 5'10" 210 lbs. Taller RB who have less dense core and limbs tend to miss more time with injury, so the vast majority of successful back who miss few games tend to be in the 5'10" or shorter height range, and be thicker. Recently many RB (like Gordon) tend to be a bit taller, and it does help with their catch radius, but at the expense of opening up body to bigger hits.

We have had games where the offense performed reasonably well, but lost (1st KC and Rams), and ones were the D was moderately OK (Ravens) and lost because the O sucked.

Comment

• Sgt. Pepper
        Registered Charger Fan
        • Apr 2019
        • Send PM

Originally posted by Steve View Post

I'm not saying that Ekeler is the guy who should be the featured back. I am saying:

1). We should ditch the idea of a featured RB, because frankly, who needs it. We have a group of good RB, who because they play on ST will all be active on game day. We might as well use all of them. Most NFL teams use a RB by committee approach and it works fine for teams that have won SB's.
        2). The old idea of 100-yard games is completely arbitrary. We had games we won last year where Gordon didn't get 100 yards, games where all of our backs combined for over 100 yards, and games where we did not get 100 yards. You can win games in different ways. I think we need some balance, but it doesn't matter how we get it.
        3). If anything, last years SB proves that using a single featured RB is a bad idea, since the Rams had their #1 guy unavailable when it counted.
        4). Ekeler has been one of the more dynamic change of pace backs and better receiving RB in football, we should try to get him in the slot to expand on the package we started to use last year (regular RB and Ekeler as the slot receiver/runner).
        5). In terms of body density, Ekeler is about the same as Gordon. Ekeler is now over 200 lbs, and is 5'10", gordon 6'1" (kinda almost too tall) and 215 lb, JJ (6'0", 198lb), DN 5'10" 210 lbs. Taller RB who have less dense core and limbs tend to miss more time with injury, so the vast majority of successful back who miss few games tend to be in the 5'10" or shorter height range, and be thicker. Recently many RB (like Gordon) tend to be a bit taller, and it does help with their catch radius, but at the expense of opening up body to bigger hits.

We have had games were the offense performed reasonably well, but lost (1st KC and Rams), and ones were the D was moderately OK (Ravens) and lost because the O sucked.
        OMG, I agree with you on every point. Gordon is an upright runner, at 6-1, and I totally agree that his pedigree of running back takes more punishment and is more prone to injury. Shorter men tend to be better athletes and are better at avoiding hats then larger men and are less lanky and have less body and limb area exposed to punishment.

I also totally agree that recent Super Bowl results show that platooning at running backs is more successful than having one standout feature back. I happen to think the Chargers have a pretty good platoon without Gordon.

Tom Telesco has loaded this team with talent. They are going to need to be paid in the next 1 to 3 years. IMO the best business decision for the Chargers is to not invest heavily in a star running back with the depth the Chargers have at that position, and use that money and cap space to retain players such as Joey Bosa, Mike Williams, Desmond King, and the other young talent coming up behind them who are more important and keeping the Super Bowl window open for as long as possible.
        Last edited by Sgt. Pepper; 07-21-2019, 05:14 PM.

Comment

• Topcat
          AKA "Pollcat"
          • Jan 2019
          • Send PM

Originally posted by Steve View Post

We have had games where the offense performed reasonably well, but lost (1st KC and Rams), and ones were the D was moderately OK (Ravens) and lost because the O sucked.
          Great points, Steve. Agree, committee is best--like the old saying, "don't put all yer eggs in one basket!"

Comment

• Topcat
            AKA "Pollcat"
            • Jan 2019
            • Send PM

Originally posted by Sgt. Pepper View Post

Marion Grice, the one that got away. Along with Tevin Reese.
            LOL...two wasted picks...Tevin "The Human Toothpick" Reese...

Comment

• wu-dai clan
              Smooth Operation
              • May 2017
              • Send PM

Watch these guys play football,
              in order to project durability.

Good grief.

Next you will be going into genetics or bone structure or joint integrity.

Babble on, Brochachos.

Whatever fits your agenda.

:smh:

Here. Let me help you ignorant sluts.

Think of Ryan Mathews and the way he ran...good.

Next, visualize Frank Gore, and his style. excellent.

These are the two extremes.

Now. Melvin Gordon. Austin Ekeler. Justin Jackson. Compare and contrast.

I'm waiting.
              :dunno: :stirringshit: :lol:

And I am outta here.

wisdom of wu...

We do not play modern football.

Comment

• Boltjolt
                Dont let the PBs fool ya
                • Jun 2013
                • Henderson, NV
                • Send PM

Originally posted by Sgt. Pepper View Post

OMG, I agree with you on every point. Gordon is an upright runner, at 6-1, and I totally agree that his pedigree of running back takes more punishment and is more prone to injury. Shorter men tend to be better athletes and are better at avoiding hats then larger men and are less lanky and have less body and limb area exposed to punishment.

I also totally agree that recent Super Bowl results show that platooning at running backs is more successful than having one standout feature back. I happen to think the Chargers have a pretty good platoon without Gordon.

Tom Telesco has loaded this team with talent. They are going to need to be paid in the next 1 to 3 years. IMO the best business decision for the Chargers is to not invest heavily in a star running back with the depth the Chargers have at that position, and use that money and cap space to retain players such as Joey Bosa, Mike Williams, Desmond King, and the other young talent coming up behind them who are more important and keeping the Super Bowl window open for as long as possible.
                Is be fine with the RB by committee. Gordon is the best RB we have but using the other 3 imo would work better than having Ekeler as the main guy.

Well see what happens with Gordon. Either way I wouldn't be upset. Like I said, we have others id rather keep.
                11 Brock Bowers TE - Georgia (plus AZ 2025 1st)
                35 Kris Jenkins DT - Michigan
                37 Cooper Beebe OG -Kansas st
                66 Mike Sainristil CB - Michigan
                69 Jaylen Wright RB - Tenn or Blake Corum - Michigan
                100 Brenden Rice WR - USC (trade ⬆️w/ Wash for 2025 5th)
                110 Cedric Gray LB - N. Carolina
                140 Hunter Nourzad OC -Penn st
                181 Jarrian Jones CB - Florida st
                225 Cedrick Johnson Edge - Ol' Miss ➡️ 253 Fabien Lovett DT-FL st

Comment

• Sgt. Pepper
                  Registered Charger Fan
                  • Apr 2019
                  • Send PM

Originally posted by wu-dai clan View Post

Good grief.

Babble on, Brochachos.

I'm waiting.

And I am outta here.

wisdom of wu...
                  :hello:

Comment

• Topcat
                    AKA "Pollcat"
                    • Jan 2019
                    • Send PM

Originally posted by wu-dai clan View Post

Good grief.

Babble on, Brochachos.

I'm waiting.

And I am outta here.

wisdom of wu...
                    Aw, come on, Wood...be nice...

Comment

• 21&500
                      Bolt Spit-Baller
                      • Sep 2018
                      • A Whale's Vajayjay
                      • CMB refugee
                      • Send PM

Stick at RB...
                      you're welcome.
                      G-Ro knows.

Comment

• blueman
                        Registered Charger Fan
                        • Jun 2013
                        • Send PM

Originally posted by 21&500 View Post
                        Stick at RB...
                        you're welcome.
                        I think he'll be too busy taking all those snaps at safety.

Comment

• jamrock
                          lawyers, guns and money
                          • Sep 2017
                          • Send PM

Originally posted by blueman View Post

I think he'll be too busy taking all those snaps at safety.
                          Stick replaces Rivers and the cap issues disappear

Comment

Working...
                          X