• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Sgt. Pepper
    Registered Charger Fan
    • Apr 2019
    • Send PM

Originally posted by wu-dai clan View Post

It is not a conclusion, but an educated guess.
    If this were to work, and it may have to,
    it would be with Justin Jackson as the feature back and Ekeler as the COP.
    FWIW Sgt Pepper, I was all over the predraft Ekeler intel, right after his epic private workout.
    And I studied thoroughly Justin Jackson, going back to his junior season.
    The point being that I have liked these dudes for a long time.
    JJ dosen't get beat up when he runs, and Ekeler does.
    This is based on running style.
    Also, I want to take full advantage of Ekeler's truly elite speed and explosion.
    Big plays from RBs can help our Oline tremendously.
    Opposing pass rushers must respect and not tee off.
    I know you see it different Sir, and respect your takes.
    I don't know how you conclude that Ekeler gets beat up when he runs but JJ doesn't. I don't recall Ekeler bouncing off guys very often, he's too good at eluding them. As for JJ, the sample size at the pro level is too small. That said, we aren't too far off in our projections in what roles these two backs should play. I don't think JJ should assume Gordon's role, however, with Ekeler playing the same role he did with Gordon. I feel that JJ and Ekeler should split the lion's share of running back touches equally, with Newsome and whoever else is on the depth chart picking up the rest.

Comment

• Formula 21
      The Future is Now
      • Jun 2013
      • Republic of San Diego
      • Send PM

Originally posted by Topcat View Post

Adderley playing high will be a LOT better covering Tyreek than Addae...this time, our corners will actually get decent safety help...add to that better coverage LB's this year, AND Tillery bringing the heat, and Mahomes is going to have a tougher time against the Bolt D this year...
      I still respect the hell out of Reid. He'll have new tricks up his sleeve when he plays the Bolts.
      Now, if you excuse me, I have some Charger memories to suppress.
      The Wasted Decade is done.
      Build Back Better.

Comment

• Formula 21
        The Future is Now
        • Jun 2013
        • Republic of San Diego
        • Send PM

Originally posted by jamrock View Post

Ekeler has been on the team for 2 years. If he was a better #1 than MG III he wouldve been starting. He's better suited as a change of pace back. The staff knows this.
        I love Ekeler as a change of pace back. So I hope another back steps up as a first down back.
        Now, if you excuse me, I have some Charger memories to suppress.
        The Wasted Decade is done.
        Build Back Better.

Comment

• Topcat
          AKA "Pollcat"
          • Jan 2019
          • Send PM

Originally posted by wu-dai clan View Post

cat, I do not think Deion Sanders could cover Tyreek.
          And he's got Mahomes throwing to him.
          What Adderley gives us is a deep safety who at least has the range and fluid hips to change direction and close in on Hill to at least contest some of those throws. Adderley is also a very good tackler. What killed us last year was a combination of our DB's either failing to get close enough to make a play on the ball, whiffed tackles or Hill finding a seam in the zone. For example, look at these highlights from Hill vs. the Bolts in week 1:

1. At 0:55 Addae has a play on Hill, if he slows a bit and takes a better angle to wrap up and tackle. But no. He pulls one of his patented launch and whiff specials.
          2. 1:13 - Addae, playing in the box, is too late to break up Hill's catch. Kyzir White actually has decent position on Hill, but fails to turn his head and locate the ball. I guess you can excuse him--he was a rook playing in his first regular season game.
          3. 2:25 - Derwin is single high and playing very deep in respect of Hill's speed. Hill finds a seam in the zone way in front of Derwin, and makes the catch.

This year, we can keep Derwin in the box all game long, while Adderley gives us the good, rangy deep coverage we need to at least limit Hill. No, we can't totally shut him down, but we can limit him to shorter gains and at least break up a few of those targets to him.

Comment

• Stormbringer
            Registered Charger Fan
            • Jun 2019
            • Here
            • Send PM

I have complete confidence that Gordon will be back by the start of the season regardless of his contract situation. He's no Le'veon Bell in ability nor personality. I believe he'll cave if the Chargers just stand fast.

Comment

• Boltjolt
              Dont let the PBs fool ya
              • Jun 2013
              • Henderson, NV
              • Send PM

Originally posted by Sgt. Pepper View Post

Remember Maurice Jones Drew? Was good as any running back in the NFL in his prime. Led the league in rushing in 2011. Remember Ray Rice? He was consistently one of the top rushers in the league until his career got derailed by domestic abuse issues. Frank Gore is a bit larger than Ekeler but not by much. Maybe an inch taller and 10 lbs heavier, that's it.
              Jones Drew was over 200 lbs, around 210 and I'd love it if Ekeker was 10 lbs heavier. Jones Drew after 2011 and 3 seasons of 300 carries, flamed out. Which could happen to anyone really but the prior seasons before he didn't have 200 carries.
              Gore is listed at 212 lbs.

I like Ekeler, and it's not that I think he will be hurt right away,... I just don't think he is a cowbell type and is the best we have at what he is for us and would like to keep him there. He is Ronnie Harmon.
              Last edited by Boltjolt; 07-21-2019, 05:27 PM.

Comment

• Sgt. Pepper
                Registered Charger Fan
                • Apr 2019
                • Send PM

Originally posted by jamrock View Post

Ekeler has been on the team for 2 years. If he was a better #1 than MG III he wouldve been starting. He's better suited as a change of pace back. The staff knows this.
                In Ekeler's two years on the team, he has received a fraction of the touches Gordon has. And in those limited touches he has out performed Gordon in yards per touch in both the running game and as a receiver.

Comment

• Stormbringer
                  Registered Charger Fan
                  • Jun 2019
                  • Here
                  • Send PM

He's no Marion Grice.

Comment

• Sgt. Pepper
                    Registered Charger Fan
                    • Apr 2019
                    • Send PM

Originally posted by Stormbringer View Post
                    He's no Marion Grice.
                    Marion Grice, the one that got away. Along with Tevin Reese.

Comment

• blueman
                      Registered Charger Fan
                      • Jun 2013
                      • Send PM

Originally posted by Stormbringer View Post
                      I have complete confidence that Gordon will be back by the start of the season regardless of his contract situation. He's no Le'veon Bell in ability nor personality. I believe he'll cave if the Chargers just stand fast.
                      From your post to everybody's ears.

Comment

• Stormbringer
                        Registered Charger Fan
                        • Jun 2019
                        • Here
                        • Send PM

Marion Grice, the one that got away. Along with Tevin Reese.
                        :hello:

Comment

• Boltjolt
                          Dont let the PBs fool ya
                          • Jun 2013
                          • Henderson, NV
                          • Send PM

In Ekeler's two years on the team, he has received a fraction of the touches Gordon has. And in those limited touches he has out performed Gordon in yards per touch in both the running game and as a receiver.
                          Yeah, you cant judge anything by that. Sproles numbers were high too as a change of pace till he had to be the guy.
                          I remember one carry Ekeler had was right before the half and he had like a 25 or 30 yard run when they weren't playing the run. It's things like that, that make his numbers look better when not having as many carries.

Comment

Working...
                          X