• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • blueman
    Registered Charger Fan
    • Jun 2013
    • Send PM

Originally posted by Stormbringer View Post
    I don't think there's any way Gordon holds out until week 10. As the season gets closer he's going to see that there is no way the Chargers are going to pay what he thinks he's worth. He and his agent are also going to realize that there's not the market for his services that they believe. The Chargers aren't giving him away, and I don't see any team parting with the picks and/or players the Chargers will demand in compensation as well as the high $$$ contract Gordon is seeking.

:2cents:
    Which can - maybe - lead to the They are playing me so wrong, I hate them so much.

That would suck so hard.

Comment

• Stormbringer
      Registered Charger Fan
      • Jun 2019
      • Here
      • Send PM

Originally posted by blueman View Post

Which can - maybe - lead to the They are playing me so wrong, I hate them so much.

That would suck so hard.
      I think that's inevitable.

Just think of this as a light warm-up before Bosa's contract negotiations.

Comment

• madcaplaughs
        Registered Charger Fan
        • Jun 2013
        • Send PM

I like Gordon, and think he's a good back. You could make an argument that he's somewhere between #5 and #10 in the NFL RB hierarchy. I just don't think he's Ezekiel Elliot good, or LaVeon Bell good, or Alvin Kamara good for that matter. I don't want to jeopardize signing Bosa, or someone truly important to sign MG. I'd like to have him this year, and I'd like for him to sign a decent deal. I wouldn't give him near what he wants (top back money). LaVeon ended up shooting himself in the foot money wise. He passed up ~8mil for playing last year, and ended up getting a deal that was not much better than what Pit was offering. Please correct me if I'm wrong. It's just going off of memory, not vital statistics.

Comment

• SDBORN
          Registered Charger Fan
          • May 2017
          • Send PM

Originally posted by JOJAX85 View Post

That's the thing. He wants to be paid or traded & I dont think any other team is going to trade for him & then meet his demands either.
          Another factor is mid season injuries on other teams. They could create more demand for Gordon. Who knows what we might get. For the time being we wait and roll with what we got, until he either compromises or an appealing trade offer comes in.

Comment

• jamrock
            lawyers, guns and money
            • Sep 2017
            • Send PM

I think that's inevitable.

Just think of this as a light warm-up before Bosa's contract negotiations.
            They are going to have a very hard time resigning Bosa. He's going to want to be paid at the top of the market too but he's no Donald or Mack. He's already held out over smaller issues. And then there's the issue with his foot which isn't fixed but seems manageable. At the moment. He'll have no trouble holding out for 1/2 a season.

Comment

• Sgt. Pepper
              Registered Charger Fan
              • Apr 2019
              • Send PM

Originally posted by madcaplaughs View Post
              I like Gordon, and think he's a good back. You could make an argument that he's somewhere between #5 and #10 in the NFL RB hierarchy. I just don't think he's Ezekiel Elliot good, or LaVeon Bell good, or Alvin Kamara good for that matter. I don't want to jeopardize signing Bosa, or someone truly important to sign MG. I'd like to have him this year, and I'd like for him to sign a decent deal. I wouldn't give him near what he wants (top back money). LaVeon ended up shooting himself in the foot money wise. He passed up ~8mil for playing last year, and ended up getting a deal that was not much better than what Pit was offering. Please correct me if I'm wrong. It's just going off of memory, not vital statistics.
              not sure about the Le'Veon Bell money amounts, but I think everything else you say here is accurate and I agree with your assessment of the situation.

Comment

• Sgt. Pepper
                Registered Charger Fan
                • Apr 2019
                • Send PM

Originally posted by SDBORN View Post

Another factor is mid season injuries on other teams. They could create more demand for Gordon. Who knows what we might get. For the time being we wait and roll with what we got, until he either compromises or an appealing trade offer comes in.
                This is what I've been saying. If/when a first-team running back is injured in training camp, in the preseason or before the trading deadline in the regular season, Melvin Gordon's value it's going to rise and Telesco might be able to leverage a second round pick and/or a player that can help the Bolts immediately. It would be contingent of course on the trading partner being able to work out and agreement for a new contract with Gordon.

Comment

• Stormbringer
                  Registered Charger Fan
                  • Jun 2019
                  • Here
                  • Send PM

Originally posted by jamrock View Post

They are going to have a very hard time resigning Bosa. He's going to want to be paid at the top of the market too but he's no Donald or Mack. He's already held out over smaller issues. And then there's the issue with his foot which isn't fixed but seems manageable. At the moment. He'll have no trouble holding out for 1/2 a season.
                  I agree. I wouldn't be surprised if demands to be the highest paid defensive player when the time comes. I also agree that there are better defensive players--ones without the injury concerns. That's not to say he isn't a good player, though, he is.

Comment

• charger1993
                    Registered Charger Fan
                    • May 2017
                    • Send PM

Idk whats going on. 6 mintues ago he posted a pic on Instagram wifh him pushing his shades up. Wigh the caption"...welp" also to notehe had the comments on it turned off. Im assuming no deal. Ans is pushijg hard for a trade. Also took los angles chargers put his bio

Comment

• SDBORN
                      Registered Charger Fan
                      • May 2017
                      • Send PM

Originally posted by Sgt. Pepper View Post

This is what I've been saying. If/when a first-team running back is injured in training camp, in the preseason or before the trading deadline in the regular season, Melvin Gordon's value it's going to rise and Telesco might be able to leverage a second round pick and/or a player that can help the Bolts immediately. It would be contingent of course on the trading partner being able to work out and agreement for a new contract with Gordon.
                      Yep. We're on the same page.

I think TT is well aware of all of this. He is not the knee Jerk type of GM. He knows he has the leverage right now and will let Gordon feel the pain of the purse (or loss of coin) in the meantime until he either comes to the table or a good trade offer comes in. Pressure will be mounting on Gordon and/or other teams throughout the season - for now the Chargers keep Charging without Gordon, because they can. They were 4-0 without Gordon last year.

So either way, making Gordon too focal a point on the offense isn't the best thing for the Chargers with all the options they currently have. He's good, but he's not essential for this roster to be able win.

Comment

• Topcat
                        AKA "Pollcat"
                        • Jan 2019
                        • Send PM

I agree. I wouldn't be surprised if demands to be the highest paid defensive player when the time comes. I also agree that there are better defensive players--ones without the injury concerns. That's not to say he isn't a good player, though, he is.
                        Interesting that the Bosa situation has some similarities to Gordon. First off, I do think Bosa is worth a lot more to the Bolts than Gordon. However, Bosa's injury history, like Gordon's, are a concern which could diminish his value when the time comes to extend his deal, if it happens. Bosa's fifth option year is next year, when his base salary takes a big jump from $720k (this year) to $14 mil, if Bosa doesn't pull a Gordon and sit out. I sure hope we can extend him, but I'm not in favor of paying any player crazy money unless he is an elite player at his position, very important to the team, AND does not have a checkered injury history...

Comment

• richpjr
                          Registered Charger Fan
                          • Jun 2013
                          • Nashville
                          • Send PM

Originally posted by madcaplaughs View Post
                          Bell passed up $14.5 million by not playing last year. The sheer stupidity of that boggles my mind. The Jets guaranteed money is $35 million and the Steelers guaranteed money was $33 million. He lost big time.

Comment

Working...
                          X