• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • AK47
    Registered Charger Fan
    • May 2019
    • Send PM

Originally posted by Lone Bolt View Post

I've seen Ekelor, who is freakish strong, put his head down, and make like a short yardage back...with his strength and athleticism, I actually think he could be more dangerous than MG near the endzone. Because of his size, I wouldn't pile a bunch of between the tackle carries on him...wear and tear...but he can certainly manage some short yardage snaps here and there...and goal line duties from time to time as well. He can dive, drive, leap, or wiggle thru on a fake and get open...or beat the outside contain on toss sweeps or swing passes.

I don't think we are missing a dynamic weapon in MG...just a heavy load workhorse who happens to be dynamic as well...but as far as putting this team in cap hell? No thanks. We can replace him by commitee....he is lucky to have the offer he has.

Edit: Make no mistake...I'm an MG fan....but a Charger fan first. He comes and plays, great. He holds out? See ya...
    This is where my favorite combine stat come to play...3-cone relative to size. LT had a great 3-cone for a 220lb back plus had good lean and ran low. Always had a knack for the gold zone. Eke's is probably the closest thing to those attributes we've got. JJ runs fairly upright but could be coached.

Comment

• Steve
      Administrator
      • Jun 2013
      • South Carolina
      • Meteorologist
      • Send PM

Originally posted by blueman View Post
      Not sure I think of Gordon as a punch it in guy, didn't he take 4 tries from like the two yard line last season in some game?
      His stats rank him as a slightly better than average in the punching it in in goalline situations. I am sure he did have a few where he did have to take several tries to get it in, but there are probably just as many where he got something extra and got in on the 1st try. He also breaks a fair # of long runs, which he is probably better than average at.

Again, overall he is a good back, just not a must have/break the bank type of guy.

Comment

• blueman
        Registered Charger Fan
        • Jun 2013
        • Send PM

I actually think he's a great back, he really wowed the heck out of me last year. Then he got hurt, then came back pretty average. And now, is he healthy? What's the prognosis for his knee? Would we get a repeat of last year? Cuz if so I'd rather not pay $10 mil for that. Popsney (sp?) saying he thinks he gets traded before preseason ends is sounding pretty bang on.

Comment

• Caslon
          Registered Charger Fan
          • Apr 2019
          • Send PM

As I said, rich man owner Jerry Jones probably doesn't have that many years left, The Spanos family tree ownership has branches that are still relatively young,

Comment

• Caslon
            Registered Charger Fan
            • Apr 2019
            • Send PM

Originally posted by Lone Bolt View Post

Edit: Make no mistake...I'm an MG fan....but a Charger fan first. He comes and plays, great. He holds out? See ya...
            It's a given MG will play week 10, for his own best interests, MG's attempt to raise the RB salary is noteworthy. A RB in today's league only lasts about 5 to 7 years of physical punishment. MG wants his relative worth vs. the wealth of ownership adjusted. I can see that now, sorta. From a franchise that is valued at well over 2 billion dollars. MG is sort of "taking it to the man." A 2 billion dollar NFL family ownership. Need a loan Dean to pay MG?

My opinion of MG's stance has changed somewhat, in MG's favor.

Also, by not having to have funded a new stadium in San Diego, the Charger ownership saved themselves big bucks leasing a deal with the new stadium billionaire owner. What's not to like about the Spanos'? Lots.
            Last edited by Caslon; 08-07-2019, 08:38 AM.

Comment

• RobH
              Registered Charger Fan
              • Jun 2013
              • Tokyo, Japan
              • University English Lecturer
              • Send PM

Originally posted by Caslon View Post

It's a given MG will play week 10, for his own best interests, MG's attempt to raise the RB salary is noteworthy. A RB in today's league only lasts about 5 to 7 years of physical punishment. MG wants his relative worth vs. the wealth of ownership adjusted. I can see that now, sorta. From a franchise that is valued at well over 2 billion dollars. MG is sort of "taking it to the man." A 2 billion dollar NFL family ownership. Need a loan Dean to pay MG?

My opinion of MG's stance has changed somewhat, in MG's favor.

Also, by not having to have funded a new stadium in San Diego, the Charger ownership saved themselves big bucks leasing a deal with the new stadium billionaire owner. What's not to like about the Spanos'? Lots.
              Except it's not about whether ownership is cheap. The Spanii pretty much pay to the cap limit every year. It's about the cap. If we want to sign all the guys who are coming up for new contracts in the next couple of years, then we need to be careful not to overpay. And 13-15 million per year is to much for any RB not named Ladanian.

Comment

• like54ninjas
                Registered Charger Fan
                • Oct 2017
                • Great White North
                • Draftnik
                • Send PM

As I said, rich man owner Jerry Jones probably doesn't have that many years left, The Spanos family tree ownership has branches that are still relatively young,
                Jerry's sons, daughter, and grandchildren run most of the Cowboys organization. No different than most NFL franchises. Family businesses.
                My 2021 Adopt-A-Bolt List

MikeDub
                K9
                Nasir
                Tillery
                Parham
                Reed

Comment

• chargeroo
                  Fan since 1961
                  • Jan 2019
                  • Oregon
                  • Retired Manager/Pastor
                  • Send PM

Melvin Gordon insurance: Justin Jackson adds 'razzle-dazzle' to Bolts
                  11:00 PM ET
                  Eric D. Williams

As Melvin Gordon's holdout continues, the Chargers will turn to second-year RB Justin Jackson, who has been productive his entire football career.

This article makes me wonder if it's wise to pay Gordon 10M? The three holdover backs still on the team are pretty darn good. They could draft a rookie RB in next years draft and have him at the rookie salary. When you consider it, it seems that it may be wise to replace your #1 RB every 3/4 years. Most RB's only last about five years in the NFL and the $$ could be spent better on the other positions.
                  THE YEAR OF THE FLIP!

Comment

• Caslon
                    Registered Charger Fan
                    • Apr 2019
                    • Send PM

The Chargers had a human cannon ball RB...what's his name.

Comment

• blueman
                      Registered Charger Fan
                      • Jun 2013
                      • Send PM

Natrone Means.

Comment

• Gwynning_Spirit
                        Registered Charger Fan
                        • Jul 2013
                        • Send PM

Originally posted by blueman View Post

Natrone Means.
                        or Tolbert?

Comment

• like54ninjas
                          Registered Charger Fan
                          • Oct 2017
                          • Great White North
                          • Draftnik
                          • Send PM

Or Marion Butts
                          My 2021 Adopt-A-Bolt List

MikeDub
                          K9
                          Nasir
                          Tillery
                          Parham
                          Reed

Comment

Working...
                          X