• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Bolt-O
    Administrator
    • Jun 2013
    • Send PM

Originally posted by FoutsFan View Post

I agree, I am a big Gordon fan but not a fan of giving a huge contract. If he wants to keep playing in LA for a very reasonable contract then great. If not well bye and Jackson steps in or we get another young RB in the draft.
    I match that sentiment. If Gordon was a first-ballot HOF talent from the start (as was LT), or an AP All-Pro, I would pay the guy, but not just for a pro-bowl alternate, even if he played in that game. Gurley fit that level of performance, but look at him now. Running Back is the only position I can think of where I have that standard; there are too many examples of great RBs coming from later in the draft.

Comment

• blueman
      Registered Charger Fan
      • Jun 2013
      • Send PM

I like all of this, except the part about how our O just isn't the same without him. Be nice if the OL stepped up and made this moot.

Comment

• Topcat
        AKA "Pollcat"
        • Jan 2019
        • Send PM

Originally posted by FoutsFan View Post

I agree, I am a big Gordon fan but not a fan of giving a huge contract. If he wants to keep playing in LA for a very reasonable contract then great. If not well bye and Jackson steps in or we get another young RB in the draft.
        Yep...and I'd like to keep MG3 at a reasonable price, but not throw crazy money his way. Think of it, a team like the Cheatriots can plug in just about any back, (White, Lewis, Blount, Jackson, Ridley, Maroney) and have gotten very good results. Look at James White, for example. Pats drafted him in round 4, paid him peanuts his first 3 years, then re-signed him for a very reasonable deal, 3 years at $12 mil. That's how you handle a contract extension for a good, but non-future-HOF RB...

White's contract: https://www.spotrac.com/nfl/new-engl...s-white-14541/
        Last edited by Topcat; 06-29-2019, 02:06 PM.

Comment

• FoutsFan
          Registered Charger Fan
          • Feb 2019
          • Birmingham AL
          • Send PM

Originally posted by Bolt-O View Post

I match that sentiment. If Gordon was a first-ballot HOF talent from the start (as was LT), or an AP All-Pro, I would pay the guy, but not just for a pro-bowl alternate, even if he played in that game. Gurley fit that level of performance, but look at him now. Running Back is the only position I can think of where I have that standard; there are too many examples of great RBs coming from later in the draft.
          Exactly, they better be Barry Sanders, LT or Earl Campbell to get the big bucks.

Comment

• Steve
            Administrator
            • Jun 2013
            • South Carolina
            • Meteorologist
            • Send PM

As far as resigning Elliott, it is a somewhat tougher decision for the Cowboys. He has no injury history to work with, and their offense is built totally around his skills. They also don't have much depth at RB (Ourlads lists Darius Jackson and Tony Pollard as the next 2 RB on the depth chart behind Elliott), and if anything happens to Elliott, it looks like they might be out of luck. They also have a history of making really stupid decisions in regards to the salary cap.

For us, the offense is built around Rivers, and then it is about trying to find how the RB can be utilized to fit the offense. I like the backfield depth. It would hurt some to lose Gordon, but with the strong depth in next years RB class, I think we would be OK.

Comment

• Topcat
              AKA "Pollcat"
              • Jan 2019
              • Send PM

Originally posted by Steve View Post
              As far as resigning Elliott, it is a somewhat tougher decision for the Cowboys. He has no injury history to work with, and their offense is built totally around his skills. They also don't have much depth at RB (Ourlads lists Darius Jackson and Tony Pollard as the next 2 RB on the depth chart behind Elliott), and if anything happens to Elliott, it looks like they might be out of luck. They also have a history of making really stupid decisions in regards to the salary cap.

For us, the offense is built around Rivers, and then it is about trying to find how the RB can be utilized to fit the offense. I like the backfield depth. It would hurt some to lose Gordon, but with the strong depth in next years RB class, I think we would be OK.
              If we lost MG3, I think we'll be fine. One back that a lot of people overlook is Detrez. After MG3, he may well be the best of the bunch...yes, even better than Jackson and Ekkie for all around bell-cow and ability to run inside or outside...I'd sure like to see him get more reps this year...
              Last edited by Topcat; 06-30-2019, 06:24 AM.

Comment

• richpjr
                Registered Charger Fan
                • Jun 2013
                • Nashville
                • Send PM

It hurt when Gordon was not in the lineup but that was with backups playing. If he is gone, the team will address the hole. While it may not be someone as talented as Gordon, there is not a reason to think we won't have a good RB coming in to replace him.

Comment

• Steve
                  Administrator
                  • Jun 2013
                  • South Carolina
                  • Meteorologist
                  • Send PM

Originally posted by richpjr View Post
                  It hurt when Gordon was not in the lineup but that was with backups playing. If he is gone, the team will address the hole. While it may not be someone as talented as Gordon, there is not a reason to think we won't have a good RB coming in to replace him.
                  I think Jackson and Newsome are playing at a similar level to what Gordon did as a rookie. Their pass protection and ball security is better. Runs skills, about the same, short yardage running and ability to read and set up blocks a bit behind. Pass catching, maybe the same. Gordon took a big jump in the 2nd and then 3rd years, so expect both of them to do about the same.

Ekeler is the other guy who really needs to step up his game. He has it from a skills perspective. His pass protection went from awful to excellent. His run skills got better. He worked his way into a slotback kinda role in a 2 back set, and he did excellent in terms of being a 3rd down back. s. His zone runs are very good. He just needs to be a bit more patient on power run and needs to get tougher to hold up better late in the season.

If I was Gordon, I would have been in OTA's to take as many reps away from Newsome and Jackson as I could. With Ekeler coming back off of an injury, and Gordon not showing up, it gave them both some quality reps at a time when they can make the most of them.

Comment

• blueman
                    Registered Charger Fan
                    • Jun 2013
                    • Send PM

Man, interesting takes on Gordon. Watch some video. I like both Jackson and Detrez a lot, but neither are Gordon, not by a long shot. Folks are dreaming we would get the same production from either/both.
                    Last edited by blueman; 06-29-2019, 10:04 PM.

Comment

• Boltjolt
                      Dont let the PBs fool ya
                      • Jun 2013
                      • Henderson, NV
                      • Send PM

Originally posted by Topcat View Post

Looks like both Gordon and Elliott are in the same boat...some teams are shying away from giving RB's crazy money, when you can pick up a FA or draft a guy in round 3-4 who will do just about as good...invest in O-line, and a good O-line will make even an average back look good...
                      Agree teams may not want to pay those big contracts to RBs but i have to disagree some about just draft in a 3rd or 4th round RB and just keep on trucking like Gordon never left. Gordon wasnt this good as a rookie. Neither was Gurley and Elliot had the best OL in football as a rookie. So ok, we can have a nice platoon going and im on board with that but i dont expect a rookie to come right in and be Melvin Gordon day 1. It has happened but there is no guarantee.

Comment

• jubei
                        Vagabond Ninja
                        • Feb 2019
                        • Send PM

the thing MG does better than all of them is run with vengeance. He runs violently and doesnt go down very easily. Now he isnt the type to juke a guy out like Jackson but he'll truck em. but that is a double-edged sword and probably one of the reasons why he rarely plays the whole 16 games. I'm not of the mindset to go hogwild with his contract as I believe there are much higher priorities in line for contract renewals.

Comment

• Sgt. Pepper
                          Registered Charger Fan
                          • Apr 2019
                          • Send PM

Originally posted by jubei View Post
                          the thing MG does better than all of them is run with vengeance. He runs violently and doesnt go down very easily. Now he isnt the type to juke a guy out like Jackson but he'll truck em. but that is a double-edged sword and probably one of the reasons why he rarely plays the whole 16 games. I'm not of the mindset to go hogwild with his contract as I believe there are much higher priorities in line for contract renewals.
                          It will also shorten his career. He's 26. Wouldn't be surprised if he's done by 30.

Comment

Working...
                          X