• FoutsFan
    Registered Charger Fan
    • Feb 2019
    • Birmingham AL
    • Send PM

Originally posted by Formula 21 View Post
    Agent: Chargers' Gordon wants trade if no deal

PT​​​Adam SchefterESPN Senior Writer

Running back Melvin Gordon has informed the Los Angeles Chargers that unless he receives a new contract, he will not report to training camp and he will demand a trade, his agent Fletcher Smith told ESPN.

Smith said he and Gordon did not want to go this route, but because of the lack of progress in negotiations and the offers the Chargers made this offseason, they felt it necessary to voice their displeasure in an effort to reach a more satisfying outcome, whether with a new contract or a trade.

Gordon, 26, is scheduled to be heading into the last year of his contract, a fifth-year option worth $5.6 million.

Other top running backs -- Todd Gurley, David Johnson, Le'Veon Bell -- recently have received new deals, and Gordon wants to be the next one added to that illustrious list. He is unwilling to take a Chargers offer that does not put him near the salaries of those top running backs.

Gordon has been voted to two Pro Bowls and rushed for an average of 5.1 yards per carry and recorded 14 total touchdowns in 2018.

Unless the two sides can resolve their differences before the Chargers' training camp, slated to open July 24 in Costa Mesa, California, this will be a contentious issue that shadows the team, much as the Chargers had to deal with an unsigned Joey Bosa in the summer of 2016.

Smith said Gordon is dug in and discouraged with the lack of progress in the talks.
    Screw him. Trade him to the Cardinals to the Tampa Bay Bucs or some other NFL Siberia team.

Comment

• Topcat
      AKA "Pollcat"
      • Jan 2019
      • Send PM

Originally posted by Formula 21 View Post
      Agent: Chargers' Gordon wants trade if no deal

PT​​​Adam SchefterESPN Senior Writer

Running back Melvin Gordon has informed the Los Angeles Chargers that unless he receives a new contract, he will not report to training camp and he will demand a trade, his agent Fletcher Smith told ESPN.

Smith said he and Gordon did not want to go this route, but because of the lack of progress in negotiations and the offers the Chargers made this offseason, they felt it necessary to voice their displeasure in an effort to reach a more satisfying outcome, whether with a new contract or a trade.

Gordon, 26, is scheduled to be heading into the last year of his contract, a fifth-year option worth $5.6 million.

Other top running backs -- Todd Gurley, David Johnson, Le'Veon Bell -- recently have received new deals, and Gordon wants to be the next one added to that illustrious list. He is unwilling to take a Chargers offer that does not put him near the salaries of those top running backs.

Gordon has been voted to two Pro Bowls and rushed for an average of 5.1 yards per carry and recorded 14 total touchdowns in 2018.

Unless the two sides can resolve their differences before the Chargers' training camp, slated to open July 24 in Costa Mesa, California, this will be a contentious issue that shadows the team, much as the Chargers had to deal with an unsigned Joey Bosa in the summer of 2016.

Smith said Gordon is dug in and discouraged with the lack of progress in the talks.
      Wow, just, wow...just when the Bolts are locked and loaded to make a serious SB run, and Gordie pulls this stunt...okay, fine...trade him to a team out of our division that needs a RB, like the Eagles...I'd like to see how well MG3 handles those brutal Philly fans and press after he slips and fumbles the rock in the ice in December...bye, Melvin, sorry you got a bit too greedy...

Comment

• SDBORN
        Registered Charger Fan
        • May 2017
        • Send PM

Originally posted by Topcat View Post

Wow, just, wow...just when the Bolts are locked and loaded to make a serious SB run, and Gordie pulls this stunt...okay, fine...trade him to a team out of our division that needs a RB, like the Eagles...I'd like to see how well MG3 handles those brutal Philly fans and press after he slips and fumbles the rock in the ice in December...bye, Melvin, sorry you got a bit too greedy...
        Straight out of the steelers Running back play book lol. News out of the Chargers orgnization has been dead and we get hit with this. I was enjoying the no news is good news thing while it lasted.

Will be interesting to see how TT handles this as he doesn't really seem to like dabbling in the trading scene in general.

Comment

• foreigner
          Tom Telesco is gone
          • Sep 2013
          • Send PM

I think he has hurt more the team than helped, relying on an injured all star back doesnt pay back, (I see him similar to Jason Verret, great stars but that cant rely on) I also say play tough with him, if he wants to hold out let him hold out, Justin Jackson should be better and motivated with the results from last year. I think we are OK, let him cry all he wants and work out a good deal for both parties.

Comment

• Topcat
            AKA "Pollcat"
            • Jan 2019
            • Send PM

Originally posted by foreigner View Post
            I think he has hurt more the team than helped, relying on an injured all star back doesnt pay back, I also say play tough with him, if he wants to hold out let him hold out, Justin Jackson should be better and motivated with the results from last year. I think we are OK, let him cry all he wants and work out a good deal for both parties.
            Yep...between Jackson, Detrez and Ekkie, AND giving them all a ton of first-team reps in TC and preseason, I think we'll actually be okay at RB...I really think Detrez may be the hidden gem of the bunch...he's always produced for a nice YPC every time he's been called on...

Comment

• SDBORN
              Registered Charger Fan
              • May 2017
              • Send PM

Yep...between Jackson, Detrez and Ekkie, AND giving them all a ton of first-team reps in TC and preseason, I think we'll actually be okay at RB...I really think Detrez may be the hidden gem of the bunch...he's always produced for a nice YPC every time he's been called on...
              Newsome is the only one on this list who might be able to take the beating of #1 workload but he is hardly proven at the same time. I don't want Ekkler in that position again - he will get banged up really fast. Jackson is a wild card but I see him more as situational.

Gordon's lack of fumbles and ability to catch so well out of the backfield could be missed if we don't find a viable replacement.
              ​​​​​​
              A trade will probably be the best solution value - wise unless Gordon is reasonable on price, which it sound like he won't be.
              Last edited by SDBORN; 07-11-2019, 07:15 AM.

Comment

• Topcat
                AKA "Pollcat"
                • Jan 2019
                • Send PM

Originally posted by SDBORN View Post

Newsome is the only one on this list who might be able to take the beating of #1 workload but he is hardly proven at the same time. I don't want Ekkler in that position again - he will get banged up really fast. Jackson is a wild card but I see him more as situational.

Gordon's lack of fumbles and ability to catch so well out of the backfield could be missed if we don't find a viable replacement.
                ​​​​​​
                A trade will probably be the best solution value - wise unless Gordon is reasonable on price, which it sound like he won't be.
                Or, how about the Bolts take a flyer on a FA like Jay Ajayi...he's been banged up in the past, but if they can get at least 10 good games out of him, Jackson, Detrez and Ekkie can fill in the rest...

Comment

• SDBORN
                  Registered Charger Fan
                  • May 2017
                  • Send PM

Or, how about the Bolts take a flyer on a FA like Jay Ajayi...he's been banged up in the past, but if they can get at least 10 good games out of him, Jackson, Detrez and Ekkie can fill in the rest...
                  He's a viable option when healthy and might be had at this point at not a great cost. Isn't he coming off a torn acl? Any status on recovery timeline?

Comment

• blueman
                    Registered Charger Fan
                    • Jun 2013
                    • Send PM

Gordon likely saw the writing on the wall, like the rest of us, just won't be enough money for all these high salaries coming up. He pushed the timetable is all, hopefully these RB kids (and the OL!) will be ready to step up.

Comment

• SDBORN
                      Registered Charger Fan
                      • May 2017
                      • Send PM

Originally posted by blueman View Post
                      Gordon likely saw the writing on the wall, like the rest of us, just won't be enough money for all these high salaries coming up. He pushed the timetable is all, hopefully these RB kids (and the OL!) will be ready to step up.
                      Hopefully TT has a contingency plan. Relying on our backup guys at number #1 is pretty risky. We need a proven outsider to replace Gordon without breaking the bank unless some reasonable deal can be worked out with him before training camp. As TopCat mentioned Jay is availabe. Marshawn is as well I believe, but is getting up there in age.

Comment

• blueman
                        Registered Charger Fan
                        • Jun 2013
                        • Send PM

Meh. Are half broken scraps better than up and comers?

Comment

• wu-dai clan
                          Smooth Operation
                          • May 2017
                          • Send PM

TT leverages in contract years by drafting at the position.

He must be confident in Ekeler + Justin as a backup plan.

I am watching UDFA Jeremy Cox...size & athleticism with no hops.
                          We do not play modern football.

Comment

Working...
                          X