• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Sgt. Pepper
    Registered Charger Fan
    • Apr 2019
    • Send PM

Originally posted by 8/6/1960 View Post
    Does Justin Jackson have a little of Marcus Allen's running style?
    LeSean McCoy.

Comment

• dmac_bolt
      Day Tripper
      • May 2019
      • North of the Lagoon
      • Send PM

Originally posted by Topcat View Post
      Actually, with Ekkie, Jackson, Detrez and Cox, we've got quads...
      you guys put a lot more eggs in the D&C buckets than i do. I hope you aren't expecting LAC has an all pro OL that any ol RB could run thru the gaping holes with, are you?

because the entire RB-dime-a-dozen theory rests on an above avg OL imo.

Im not giving MG $11M this year, but he will be missed. He's not the starter because he's 4th best.

“Less is more? NO NO NO - MORE is MORE!”

Comment

• Fleet
        TPB Founder
        • Jun 2013
        • Cardiff - Poipu
        • Send PM

Originally posted by dmac_bolt View Post
        you guys put a lot more eggs in the D&C buckets than i do. I hope you aren't expecting LAC has an all pro OL that any ol RB could run thru the gaping holes with, are you?

because the entire RB-dime-a-dozen theory rests on an above avg OL imo.

Im not giving MG $11M this year, but he will be missed. He's not the starter because he's 4th best.
        This is sort of my view. I just dont know enough about Jackson. Ekeler didnt look great in a lead role. Some of that just may be that they were using him to run Gordons plays. If he is a lead back maybe they change things. Maybe different blocking on plays. I dont know. But prior to Gordon we were all up in arms over the run game. It was a major weakness. And Rivers suffered because of it. His best friend is a run game. And Gordon just makes it easier for this offense. Especially with the 3 headed monster of Allen/MW and Henry.

So while i like the prospects we have and Ekeler looks great as a compliment. Im not all that comfortable going into this season with what we have. It may easily pay off for us. Just as easy as it could backfire. And i say that because of the fact that this OL isnt exactly mauling guys. Gordon really hides a lot of kinks in the armor. By breaking tackles. By overcoming constant hits in the backfield and just the fact that he is one of the hardest runners in the league. He is a monster when healthy. How much of his injuries are more about an OL constantly letting him get smashed? We are right at the doorstep of the SB. Its hard enough getting there with Gordon.

I am an optimist. I will go in believing we will be ok. I honestly think i have the power mentally to make good things happen in my life. (Read a book called "Excuse me your life is waiting") lol

But I would feel better if we at least had Gordon for this year. At the very least im hoping he returns in week 10 and is fresh for a playoff run. Especially if we do find out that not having him really is hurting us and Rivers.

Gordon and Virgil Green vs Ek/Jackson and Hunter Henry? I know its the run game...but having Henry back may have a decent effect on Rivers and even the run game if hes clearing out linebackers and safeties who are just loading up for Gordon. Henry should have a huge impact on this offense and we might be able to rely less on the run game. I dont know. But going into the season with run game questions as opposed to knowing we are set leaves me a little concerned.

But...next man up i guess. Im used to it.

Comment

• Formula 21
          The Future is Now
          • Jun 2013
          • Republic of San Diego
          • Send PM

The sample size on Ekeler as a starter is too small. Improve the blocking and Ekeler improves.
          Now, if you excuse me, I have some Charger memories to suppress.
          The Wasted Decade is done.
          Build Back Better.

Comment

• SDBORN
            Registered Charger Fan
            • May 2017
            • Send PM

He's not built for the lead role IMO. I think he will get banged up quickly if they try it. I wouldn't do it.

Comment

• blueman
              Registered Charger Fan
              • Jun 2013
              • Send PM

Lamp will blow open holes for everybody.

Comment

• Topcat
                AKA "Pollcat"
                • Jan 2019
                • Send PM

Originally posted by SDBORN View Post
                He's not built for the lead role IMO. I think he will get banged up quickly if they try it. I wouldn't do it.
                I keep saying, Detrez will surprise many, and Jackson is pretty decent also. Cox...looks promising, but need to see him in preseason...

Comment

• Sgt. Pepper
                  Registered Charger Fan
                  • Apr 2019
                  • Send PM

Gordon averaged just under 15 carries per game last season. He averaged 5.5 passing targets a game as well.

Ekeler averaged just under 8 carries per game and just under 4 passing targets.

Ekeler's ypc was 5.2; Gordon's 5.1. Ekeler's yards per passing target was 7.6; Gordon's 7.4.

Justin Jackson averaged 4.1 ypc in 50 carries. He was targeted 19 times by PR and averaged 7.1 yards per. PR's completion rate to JJ was 79%, higher than Ekeler's or Gordon's.

I say give Ekeler and JJ about 10 carries each and average 4-5 targets each. Give the rest to Newsome and/or Cox, depending on the situation. Seems like a very reasonable and manageable workload for each of them and I think the RB position would be every bit as productive.

Comment

• Steve
                    Administrator
                    • Jun 2013
                    • South Carolina
                    • Meteorologist
                    • Send PM

Originally posted by SDBORN View Post
                    I'm not sure anyone thinks he will get one. Ekeler has proven outstanding in a limited role. I can see expanding the role some, but that doesn't mean I think he would be a great starter. I would rather see Jackson and Newsome mixed in as the starter and backup, with Ekeler doing the 3rd down/change of pace guy.

Last year we gave Ekeler a bunch of snaps as a slot player. We used him mostly as a decoy, and on some jet sweeps. We could expand on that this year, and it wouldn't cut into the other RB snaps. Ekeler improved a great deal last year, and was one of the big suprises in terms of his ability to exceed "normal" production, and Ekeler does that. based on that he deserves some more touches. Not too many more, since he has not been able to stay healthy, but he is an explosive player when given the chance.

Comment

• Topcat
                      AKA "Pollcat"
                      • Jan 2019
                      • Send PM

Originally posted by Sgt. Pepper View Post
                      Gordon averaged just under 15 carries per game last season. He averaged 5.5 passing targets a game as well.

Ekeler averaged just under 8 carries per game and just under 4 passing targets.

Ekeler's ypc was 5.2; Gordon's 5.1. Ekeler's yards per passing target was 7.6; Gordon's 7.4.

Justin Jackson averaged 4.1 ypc in 50 carries. He was targeted 19 times by PR and averaged 7.1 yards per. PR's completion rate to JJ was 79%, higher than Ekeler's or Gordon's.

I say give Ekeler and JJ about 10 carries each and average 4-5 targets each. Give the rest to Newsome and/or Cox, depending on the situation. Seems like a very reasonable and manageable workload for each of them and I think the RB position would be every bit as productive.
                      And this committee would keep everyone nice and freshly rested for the next series...

Comment

• Sgt. Pepper
                        Registered Charger Fan
                        • Apr 2019
                        • Send PM

Originally posted by Steve View Post

I'm not sure anyone thinks he will get one. Ekeler has proven outstanding in a limited role. I can see expanding the role some, but that doesn't mean I think he would be a great starter. I would rather see Jackson and Newsome mixed in as the starter and backup, with Ekeler doing the 3rd down/change of pace guy.

Last year we gave Ekeler a bunch of snaps as a slot player. We used him mostly as a decoy, and on some jet sweeps. We could expand on that this year, and it wouldn't cut into the other RB snaps. Ekeler improved a great deal last year, and was one of the big suprises in terms of his ability to exceed "normal" production, and Ekeler does that. based on that he deserves some more touches. Not too many more, since he has not been able to stay healthy, but he is an explosive player when given the chance.
                        Ekeler has played in 30 games in two seasons. I don't know if you can classify that as not being able to stay healthy.

Comment

• Sgt. Pepper
                          Registered Charger Fan
                          • Apr 2019
                          • Send PM

Originally posted by Topcat View Post

And this committee would keep everyone nice and freshly rested for the next series...
                          And reduce chances of being injured.

Comment

Working...
                          X