• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Sgt. Pepper
    Registered Charger Fan
    • Apr 2019
    • Send PM

The Chargers won some big games without MG, but make no mistake, his role in the offense is huge and his absence would be missed. No other RB on the roster has Gordon's skills. You don't replace 14 total TDs that easily. I do understand the Chargers' position. I'm sure on a personal level every member of team management and the Spanos family wants to pay Gordon, he has worked hard and taken a beating to help this team succeed. You want to reward that. But from a business perspective, with Gordon's injury history and the amount of abuse his body has sustained in his college and pro careers, and given the big contracts to the likes of Gurley and David Johnson whose careers are now in question due to injury, it's not hard to understand why the team is very reluctant to make a huge investment in Gordon.

It would have to be a tandem effort to replace him, to keep Ekeler and Jackson, and Newsome hopefully, fresh and keep defenses off balance (Newsome may be the biggest winner if Gordon holds out.) Jackson's measurables are similar to Lesean McCoy's and we saw some of that nifty ability from him in a couple of big games last year. Legarrette Blount is also still available.

Comment

• like54ninjas
      Registered Charger Fan
      • Oct 2017
      • Great White North
      • Draftnik
      • Send PM

Originally posted by SDBORN View Post

Newsome is the only one on this list who might be able to take the beating of #1 workload but he is hardly proven at the same time. I don't want Ekkler in that position again - he will get banged up really fast. Jackson is a wild card but I see him more as situational.

Gordon's lack of fumbles and ability to catch so well out of the backfield could be missed if we don't find a viable replacement.
      ​​​​​​
      A trade will probably be the best solution value - wise unless Gordon is reasonable on price, which it sound like he won't be.
      JJacks was a bellcow RB in the B10. He will be able to handle 15-20 carries a game. He looks bigger/filled out now after his rook season/first offseason training.
      Austin is a great change of pace guy and should continue in that role.
      Let Detrez, the UDFAs, and a possible vet FA battle it out for the other roster spot/touches.

Short but decent ride with MGIII but time to move on. An oft injured RB with a degenerative knee is not where to invest a ton of cap $.
      My 2021 Adopt-A-Bolt List

MikeDub
      K9
      Nasir
      Tillery
      Parham
      Reed

Comment

• Topcat
        AKA "Pollcat"
        • Jan 2019
        • Send PM

Originally posted by wu-dai clan View Post
        TT leverages in contract years by drafting at the position.

He must be confident in Ekeler + Justin as a backup plan.

I am watching UDFA Jeremy Cox...size & athleticism with no hops.
        Forgot about Cox...yes, I really like his vision and he always seems to hit the hole fast...nice size, too, 6-0, 223 lbs., nice change of pace from Ekkie...

Comment

• Formula 21
          The Future is Now
          • Jun 2013
          • Republic of San Diego
          • Send PM

History says player/position values are not revised downwards. He'll get a solid contract somewhere and probably closer to what he wants than what TT wants to pay.
          Now, if you excuse me, I have some Charger memories to suppress.
          The Wasted Decade is done.
          Build Back Better.

Comment

• wu-dai clan
            Smooth Operation
            • May 2017
            • Send PM

No Gordon would be a big negative for LAC.

Do not kid yourselves.
            We do not play modern football.

Comment

• Formula 21
              The Future is Now
              • Jun 2013
              • Republic of San Diego
              • Send PM

I didn't see a UDFA making the team this year for the first time in a long time. Now I see Cox making it.

The plus is, if Gordon comes back for week 11, he's fresh for the playoffs.
              Now, if you excuse me, I have some Charger memories to suppress.
              The Wasted Decade is done.
              Build Back Better.

Comment

• jamrock
                lawyers, guns and money
                • Sep 2017
                • Send PM

Do not kid yourselves.
                That's how I see it and I like JJ and Ekeler.

Comment

• Sgt. Pepper
                  Registered Charger Fan
                  • Apr 2019
                  • Send PM

Three potential trade partners (Tampa, Miami, Houston). https://nflspinzone.com/2019/07/11/m...-destinations/

This guy wants the Packers to trade for Gordon, bring him back to Wisconsin. https://nflmocks.com/2019/07/11/gree...melvin-gordon/

Another plug for Gordon to Tampa. https://thepewterplank.com/2019/07/1...ome-tampa-bay/

Comment

• Topcat
                    AKA "Pollcat"
                    • Jan 2019
                    • Send PM

Do not kid yourselves.
                    Agree that Bolts are better with MG3, BUT...they can still get by with the three-headed beast of Jackson, Detrez and Ekkie, maybe Cox, especially if our run-blocking improves...AND...the Bolts need to save up to re-sign Boss, or our pass rush suffers immensely...in other words, losing Bosa would hurt more than losing Gordie...

Comment

• Topcat
                      AKA "Pollcat"
                      • Jan 2019
                      • Send PM

Originally posted by Formula 21 View Post
                      I didn't see a UDFA making the team this year for the first time in a long time. Now I see Cox making it.

The plus is, if Gordon comes back for week 11, he's fresh for the playoffs.
                      I don't think the Bolts let MG3 sit for 10+ weeks...too much distraction and could cause locker room issues...no, I think either they work out a deal, or trade him for a 2nd round pick...

Comment

• Topcat
                        AKA "Pollcat"
                        • Jan 2019
                        • Send PM

Originally posted by Sgt. Pepper View Post
                        Three potential trade partners (Tampa, Miami, Houston). https://nflspinzone.com/2019/07/11/m...-destinations/

This guy wants the Packers to trade for Gordon, bring him back to Wisconsin. https://nflmocks.com/2019/07/11/gree...melvin-gordon/

Another plug for Gordon to Tampa. https://thepewterplank.com/2019/07/1...ome-tampa-bay/
                        Yep...all 3 of these teams would benefit from MG3, and would be wise to cough up the cash...a high first or second rounder next year from losers like the Bucs or Fins would be nice...

Comment

• OhioBolt
                          Registered Charger Fan
                          • Jun 2013
                          • Send PM

I sense the ghost of John Jefferson, Fred Dean and now possibly Melvin Gordon?

Comment

Working...
                          X