• Show
Clear All
  • Topcat
    AKA "Pollcat"
    • Jan 2019
    • Send PM

Originally posted by Boltgang74 View Post
    Don't worry Lanier is on the way!
    LOL...Lanier will SAVE us! Come to think of it, Chris Peace might make a good O-lineman...he does have decent mobility...

Comment

• Boltgang74
      We Are The Storm!
      • Aug 2018
      • Send PM

I would laugh if it wasn't so sad.

Comment

• Topcat
        AKA "Pollcat"
        • Jan 2019
        • Send PM

Originally posted by Boltnut View Post
        With the way this OL pass blocks... I'd be fine with MG getting 25 carries, Ek getting 20 carries, and JJ getting 15 carries. Hell, run the wishbone!
        Or, at the very least, go with split backs. Instant max protect on pass plays...

Comment

• Boltnut
          Registered Charger Fan
          • Feb 2019
          • Send PM

Originally posted by Topcat View Post

LOL...Lanier will SAVE us! Come to think of it, Chris Peace might make a good O-lineman...he does have decent mobility...
          Yeah, but are his arms long...?

Comment

• Topcat
            AKA "Pollcat"
            • Jan 2019
            • Send PM

Anthony Lynn confirms Melvin Gordon will be starter, says Austin Ekeler and Justin Jackson will have 'major role'

Melvin Gordon has officially ended his holdout, returning to Los Angeles Chargers practice Thursday, his first practice with the team all year. Gordon did not receive a new contract and will play out the final year of his rookie deal before becoming a free agent in 2020.

The Chargers are glad to have him back, but will Gordon have the same role he had prior to the holdout? The Chargers averaged 111.7 rushing yards per game without Gordon, while averaging 5.2 yards per carry (fifth in the NFL) with Austin Ekeler and Justin Jackson leading the way.

"No doubt, no doubt. He's our starter. He was our starter for a reason," Lynn said regarding Gordon's usage. "We'll use him just like we used him before. No different. The things he did was he scored touchdowns. I believe playmakers put the ball in the end zone, somehow, some way. He's always been able to do that."

Where does that leave Ekeler and Jackson? Ekeler has been the No. 1 running back in Gordon's absence, rushing for 160 yards and 4.2 yards per carry while adding 19 catches for 208 yards and averaging 10.9 yards per catch. Jackson has been averaging 7.9 yards per carry as the change-of-pace back to Ekeler, but the Chargers have just two rushing touchdowns on the year.

"I like the way Austin (Ekeler) and Justin (Jackson) been working," Lynn said. "They did a heck of a job and both proved they could play in this league. They will still have a major role in the offense, don't get me wrong. But as soon as Melvin's ready, he'll go back to being No. 1"

In Gordon's four years in the league, he has rushed for 3,628 yards and 28 touchdowns in 55 games, averaging four yards per carry. The Chargers are 26-29 in the 55 games Gordon has played, but 17-11 over the last two years. Gordon has been used a lot over the last two years, but also has been very good under Lynn. He rushed for 1,990 yards on 459 carries with 18 touchdowns (4.4 yards per carry) while having 108 catches for 966 yards and eight touchdowns in 2017-18. Gordon was fifth in the NFL in yards from scrimmage in 2017 and 10th in 2016, showcasing his value to the Chargers.

Gordon is doubtful for Sunday's game at the Miami Dolphins, but Lynn won't rule him out.

"We'll see what type of shape he's in. Just his conditioning, just his agility, you know to see where he's at," Lynn said. "I'm not concerned with the contact, he's played football all his life. We just need to see where he's at stamina wise.
            "He loves the game and he could not stand watching us play without him. At the end of the day, he just loves football."

https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/a...ve-major-role/

Comment

• SDBORN
              Registered Charger Fan
              • May 2017
              • Send PM

Originally posted by Topcat View Post
              Anthony Lynn confirms Melvin Gordon will be starter, says Austin Ekeler and Justin Jackson will have 'major role'

Melvin Gordon has officially ended his holdout, returning to Los Angeles Chargers practice Thursday, his first practice with the team all year. Gordon did not receive a new contract and will play out the final year of his rookie deal before becoming a free agent in 2020.

The Chargers are glad to have him back, but will Gordon have the same role he had prior to the holdout? The Chargers averaged 111.7 rushing yards per game without Gordon, while averaging 5.2 yards per carry (fifth in the NFL) with Austin Ekeler and Justin Jackson leading the way.

"No doubt, no doubt. He's our starter. He was our starter for a reason," Lynn said regarding Gordon's usage. "We'll use him just like we used him before. No different. The things he did was he scored touchdowns. I believe playmakers put the ball in the end zone, somehow, some way. He's always been able to do that."

Where does that leave Ekeler and Jackson? Ekeler has been the No. 1 running back in Gordon's absence, rushing for 160 yards and 4.2 yards per carry while adding 19 catches for 208 yards and averaging 10.9 yards per catch. Jackson has been averaging 7.9 yards per carry as the change-of-pace back to Ekeler, but the Chargers have just two rushing touchdowns on the year.

"I like the way Austin (Ekeler) and Justin (Jackson) been working," Lynn said. "They did a heck of a job and both proved they could play in this league. They will still have a major role in the offense, don't get me wrong. But as soon as Melvin's ready, he'll go back to being No. 1"

In Gordon's four years in the league, he has rushed for 3,628 yards and 28 touchdowns in 55 games, averaging four yards per carry. The Chargers are 26-29 in the 55 games Gordon has played, but 17-11 over the last two years. Gordon has been used a lot over the last two years, but also has been very good under Lynn. He rushed for 1,990 yards on 459 carries with 18 touchdowns (4.4 yards per carry) while having 108 catches for 966 yards and eight touchdowns in 2017-18. Gordon was fifth in the NFL in yards from scrimmage in 2017 and 10th in 2016, showcasing his value to the Chargers.

Gordon is doubtful for Sunday's game at the Miami Dolphins, but Lynn won't rule him out.

"We'll see what type of shape he's in. Just his conditioning, just his agility, you know to see where he's at," Lynn said. "I'm not concerned with the contact, he's played football all his life. We just need to see where he's at stamina wise.
              "He loves the game and he could not stand watching us play withom. At the end of the day, he just loves football."

https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/a...ve-major-role/
              Could have fooled me. Took him 3 games and over a mil lost to figure that out? And he's been playing his whole life LOL

What an epiphany Melvin must have suddenly had

Comment

• Charge the 21
                Registered Charger Fan
                • Aug 2019
                • Send PM

I think with Melvin back you would be a fool to count us out for the division. We have to be the favorites now. Still don't think it gets em past NE though.

Comment

• Boltx
                  Dominate the day
                  • Jun 2013
                  • Send PM

Originally posted by Charge the 21 View Post
                  I think with Melvin back you would be a fool to count us out for the division. We have to be the favorites now. Still don't think it gets em past NE though.
                  The favorites? Not sure about that. But we should solidly be in the playoff mix.
                  ESPN Screename: GoBolts02

Comment

• richpjr
                    Registered Charger Fan
                    • Jun 2013
                    • Nashville
                    • Send PM

Originally posted by Charge the 21 View Post
                    The favorites now? The Chiefs are clearly the favorites and should be after the way both teams played the first 3 games. Maybe they cool off and we get hot but we are 2 games back after 3 games - they are in the drivers seat.

Comment

• dmac_bolt
                      Day Tripper
                      • May 2019
                      • North of the Lagoon
                      • Send PM

MG at tailback, Eke can take tb's slot spot
                      “Less is more? NO NO NO - MORE is MORE!”

Comment

• Topcat
                        AKA "Pollcat"
                        • Jan 2019
                        • Send PM

Originally posted by dmac_bolt View Post
                        MG at tailback, Eke can take tb's slot spot
                        Wow, Dmac, I think you're on to something here. Ekkie in the slot! I LIKE IT! Imagine the possibilities...send Ekkie into the flats for a quick slant...shift Ekkie near Gordon to block...instead of Benji in motion for no reason whatsoever that Whiz has been dialing up lately, put Ekkie in motion and hand off the rock to him with Gordon blocking! Keep those good ideas coming!!!

Comment

• assman3000
                          Registered Charger Fan
                          • Sep 2019
                          • Send PM

Can't wait for Eke to be catching balls again after MG batters fools up the middle. Rivers success depends on it imo

Comment

Working...
                          X